Be Careful: How I Injured Myself Playing GT Sport

• Thread starter Krypton78
  • 61 comments
Germany
Germany
GTRP_Krypto_
Hello Community!

I have pain since two weeks on my left elbow and on two fingers also, the movement of the fingers are "weird" in the mornings.

The doctor said today I have tendinitis/ tendosynovitis there, maybe I'll need even a little surgery.

My guess is it mus be related to intensive playing with wheel since GTS release. So I wanted to tell you please be carefull and go to doctor if you have pain also.

I'm also pretty sure gloves would have helped, if I would have used them. Cause they dim the vibrations.

Its not a such bad thing at all, there are a trillion time worse things, but for me as a passioned player, it means saying goodbye to playing for a long while.

Please don't say this will not happen to me, since I'm a physical quite strong person, I also thought such things could not happen to me.

I'm no doctor, but I highly doubt that using gloves would have helped stave off your tendinitis, sadly.
I'd say probably better to focus on making sure your driving position is as comfortable as it can be, stretch, regular breaks, etc, would probably all help far more than using gloves.

Hope you're feeling better soon though mate, and at least you went to the doctors! I think most would just shrug it off and carry on.

Injuries can happen no matter what.

I'm not the fittest person out there, but I'm still young and I've been working out several times a week and making much better choices with my diet this summer.

I hurt myself playing a few weeks ago as well. It happened when I got my Gr2 Daily Race win at Interlagos.

After several bad races, I finally got my win. Feeling lucky I tried another race.

The Gr2s are tough for me at Interlagos as they slide all over the track. At one point I turned into turn 1 and immediately my right arm came up lame. Not sure what I did but it took a little over 24 hrs to stop feeling numb.

I turned in the corner and it just immediately went numb. It was all tingly and just felt weird.

Last edited:
I'm no doctor, but I highly doubt that using gloves would have helped stave off your tendinitis, sadly.
I'd say probably better to focus on making sure your driving position is as comfortable as it can be, stretch, regular breaks, etc, would probably all help far more than using gloves.

Hope you're feeling better soon though mate, and at least you went to the doctors! I think most would just shrug it off and carry on.

Yes, you're probably right. I wanted to ask other players not to underestimate such things

I know the pain GT can cause. I'm a controller user, and with GT4 I used R1 and L1 for gear changes. I used to do 2 or 3 hour stints sometimes with the endurance races. The first joints in my index finger became inflamed and it took 3 years for the pain to go away. Like AP says, don't over do it. Hope you recover soon 👍.

Hello Community!

I have pain since two weeks on my left elbow and on two fingers also, the movement of the fingers are "weird" in the mornings.

The doctor said today I have tendinitis/ tendosynovitis there, maybe I'll need even a little surgery.

My guess is it mus be related to intensive playing with wheel since GTS release. So I wanted to tell you please be carefull and go to doctor if you have pain also.

I'm also pretty sure gloves would have helped, if I would have used them. Cause they dim the vibrations.

Its not a such bad thing at all, there are a trillion time worse things, but for me as a passioned player, it means saying goodbye to playing for a long while.

Please don't say this will not happen to me, since I'm a physical quite strong person, I also thought such things could not happen to me.

Hi! What wheel are you using and please tell also on what level do you keep the force feedback? Thanks.
p.s. I've played with a wheel since GT3 without gloves.

Oh I changed several wheels during GTS time.

The first 4 month Thrustmaster T150, 1 month G29, and since then Thrustmaster T-GT with in- game settings 3/6, with is for my taste strong on the T-GT, but was so fun :)

I drove hundreds of hours with my G25, FFB on 10 in GT5P, GT5, & GT6. Did several 9 hour sessions on GT Academy 2010, & usually spent 4 to 5 hours Shuffle & Spec racing multiple times a week for years. Also used Fanatec GT2 & CSR on max FFB, & now my G29 maxed out too. I never had any problems. I think like @_ApexPredator said, having a comfortable driving position helps a lot, my Playseat Evolution & Passion Automotive Type S lumbar support are 100% comfy. Also, I grip the wheel very lightly & let it move & wiggle in my hands, I never hold if firmly & wrestle with it.

That said, I did get RSI from using a particularly cheap & nasty guitar several years ago, & had to give up playing altogether. I don't miss it at all, fortunately, but it does go to show that if something is hard & uncomfortable on your hands/wrists/arms it can lead to these types of problems.

Some people wonder why I take stupidly frequent breaks when I'm playing, it's mainly because whenever I start to feel even small discomfort when playing I'll stop. My sessions are normally 2-3 hours maximum with at least 3 or 4 short breaks in that time.

2 Main reasons for that, I don't want health issues and even being slightly uncomfortable can completely throw you off your game.

That said, I will be trying to level up my FIA account from E to A+ in ONE DAY sometime next week (Partly because I hate the low level grind and want it done, partly because I think it'll be an interesting challenge) and it'll be interesting to see if I DIE on that day I guess :lol:

Hello Community!

Hoding your both hands to tight on a wheel may cause tendonitis.

Last edited:
Hoding you both hands to tight on a wheel may cause tendonitis.

Yes I think so. I'm definitely one of those who are holding the wheel like beeing at a cliff and would fall down if not :)

it's mainly because whenever I start to feel even small discomfort when playing I'll stop.

👍👍👍

I will be trying to level up my FIA account from E to A+ in ONE DAY sometime next week

Very interesting target. If you would always finish first in Race C, and we assume you get 1200 DR in average (When you are E/D/C maybe 1500 and from A on probably 800), you'd need 41 races. that would be 20,5 hours. Even with an average of 1500 DR you still need 16,5 hours

Or you choose race B, there you can get on the one hand only from15 and not 19 drivers DR, but on the other hand its all 20 minutes and not 30 like in Race C. But on the first hand back again, the C Races fileds are stronger mostly, so you can get more DR.

sounds like this is stuff for @Outspacer

Interesting to know what would be possible in one day. And as a top driver you are best fitted for this answer I guess

Some people wonder why I take stupidly frequent breaks when I'm playing, it's mainly because whenever I start to feel even small discomfort when playing I'll stop. My sessions are normally 2-3 hours maximum with at least 3 or 4 short breaks in that time.

2 Main reasons for that, I don't want health issues and even being slightly uncomfortable can completely throw you off your game.

This is incredibly important 👍 It's a lesson I first learned driving for Uber a few nights a week. The toll on your muscles and joints grows exponentially the longer you grind, not to mention the physical dangers that come with sitting for extended periods of time.
As McLaren mentioned, regular breaks are vital. Make sure you take the time to get up, stretch and walk around a bit to restore proper blood flow. Also be sure to stretch before and after each session to avoid injury and stay hydrated so that your muscles and joints function as intended. That bit is crucial and often overlooked!
And as someone else mentioned, be sure to take the time to dial in your seating position and comfort level. If you have a proper rig like a playseat then this shouldn't be a major issue, but if your setup is less than optimal (I'm using a flimsy computer desk and a plastic lawn chair for example) then all the more important.
Best of luck on your recovery and return to racing, and sorry for the lengthy response lol. Hope this helps :cheers:

Using a wheel all day with ffb can't help. Similar to using high vibration industrial tools (in a much smaller dose, before you say there is a comparison) using vibration all day is probably detrimental to your health in the long run. Using vibation in the long run may lead to HAVS (Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome, as it is called, in the later stages of life.

Last edited:
Very interesting target. If you would always finish first in Race C, and we assume you get 1200 DR in average (When you are E/D/C maybe 1500 and from A on probably 800), you'd need 41 races. that would be 20,5 hours. Even with an average of 1500 DR you still need 16,5 hours

Or you choose race B, there you can get one the one hand only from15 and not 19 drivers DR, but on the other hand its all 20 minutes and not 30 like in Race C. But on the first hand back again, the C Races fileds are stronger mostly, so you can get more DR.

sounds like this is stuff for @Outspacer

Interesting to know what would be possible in one day. And as a top driver you are best fitted for this answer I guess

Estimates are spot on 👍 Possibly Race B until at maybe 20k DR, then Race C. There will be 5 races of not scoring DR (so race A or B for those), but there will be boosts of 8000 in total from moving up DR ranks (2000 + 1500 * 4) so it cancels out.

But... in one day is unlikely I reckon, because outside of peak playing times the field strength probably just won't be good enough in either race.

Also, When playing games on a controller too I always turn the vibration completely off, I remember back when Destiny 1 first game out and I was dumping loads of hours into it, I had a desk job at the time and couldn't help but notice my hands were insanely shaky... just passively. 2 weeks later of having the vibrations off, never noticed shaky hands since, and never went back.

I keep the FFB settings pretty low for this reason (2,7). The week after I turned CSA Strong on my driving improved a little bit but by the end of the week I injured my wrist. The extra little quick vibrations it gives you were too much for one of my arms to handle even with relatively low FFB settings. I had to take a month or so off to let it recover.

After coming back it only took a week for the injury to come back.

Playing the game with CSA off since and it has been smooth sailing.

Just to add; even during long sessions of play I would get up & walk about, stretch my legs so to speak. I would get up & have a drink, or go to the bathroom, or just walk about between most Shuffle races. Very sound advice from everyone in this thread.

👍

yep repetitive movements... yield injuries.
go rake the lawn, ride a bike, play some tennis, shoot hoops, prune some trees, sweep the garage/sidewalk, plant some flowers... aka "cross train"... get things moving in different ways with different pressure/force to keep everything working well.
I sit in front of a computer 99% of the time, 10hrs a day... if I don't do any "exercise" the arthritis in my feet gets worked up and my shoulders ache/stiffen like nobodies business...
I spend a little time in the yard or a few hours on my mountain bike and it all goes away... when I do it routinely, the aches and pains never show up.
Variety... the spice of life.

My only sim racing injury was catching a slide but my hand missed the wheel and I punched myself in the balls......three times now.

neI1EZU.jpg

giphy.gif

:lol:

Also, When playing games on a controller too I always turn the vibration completely off, I remember back when Destiny 1 first game out and I was dumping loads of hours into it, I had a desk job at the time and couldn't help but notice my hands were insanely shaky... just passively. 2 weeks later of having the vibrations off, never noticed shaky hands since, and never went back.
I get that every now and then. I work i construction so orking with heavy tools you feel it in our hand and arms. Especially in the winter.

At work we have precautions against hand/arm vibration syndrome. As an example an air powered reciprocating saw can be used for 2 hours per 12 hour shift, and that’s continuous trigger time. This is supposedly a safe limit, and have not heard otherwise in probably 5 years of working to these precautions.

The level of vibration from my wheel is probably on par with the air saw, which might only be on certain corners on certain tracks, so I doubt there is much danger in wheel use on your hands.

That said, regular breaks will always help.

It's all genetics. If your dad/mom has tendinitis you're predisposed to it. Any repetitive task would have made it flare up, the wheel has nothing to do with it.

The fighting with the wheel is the repetitive task in my case.

Just for info, I have three accounts, in sum it is 71628 km driven, so, well, it can be considered as "much" I think.

I never had issues with tendinitis before, and I'm 40 and did years of gym in the middle 20th to late 30th without issues, so its not likely thats genetic in my case

Back