Be Careful: How I Injured Myself Playing GT Sport

• Thread starter Krypton78
  • 61 comments
I got Tenosynovitis after GTS came out as the pad buttons weren't configurable at the beginning.:lol:

Had to swap from square and R2 (auto gears) to using L2 for brake but my hands are huge and learning to curl my left hand to that button caused it. If I'd done the sensible thing, I'd have stopped playing for a while... A month later, I'm having steroid injections in the hand because I didn't. Listen to your body and take a break.;)

Be careful out there. Tendinitis is serious and can take months to heal properly. Stop immediately if you feel any kind of pain in your arms and legs. The pain may be present even when you’re not playing, which may be difficult to diagnose what may be causing the discomfort. No game is worth knocking yourself out for.

My hands hurt quite often playing GTS. I've always used a controller to play GT but I really noticed the pain got worse when making the switch from the PS3 & GT6 with the DS3 and buying the PS4 & GTS with the DS4.
The DS4 is much larger in size compared to the DS3 and in longer race's like the 1.5hr endurance races it starts to take its toll.

I couldn't play for the last few days because I have an abscess in a very unfortunate area of my body and have trouble sitting for long periods. Let me tell you thats not very pleasant.

I suspect I might have developed it sitting in my Playseat for hours a day:grumpy:

My left elbow and to a lesser extent right one as well have been hurting for years. It's most likely from cycling, one of my passions and I easily cover over 4000km per year on a bicycle. This week the weather has been very nice and I'm already up to 250km. My left arm is likely worse since it was all screwed up after I dislocated a rib, worst pain in my life for weeks. The tip of my left index finger is still numb and when I stretch my arm out it still tingles. I've come to accept that with age the permanent injuries start stacking up, stuff doesn't fully heal anymore, best to find a way to live with it.

But indeed, be careful with position and repetitive movement. I'm going to a chiropractor weekly for the rest of my life due to RSI in my neck from a programming job I overdid in my twenties and thirties. It has slowly been improving with lots of exercise. However I ignored it too long and didn't seek help until I collapsed on the floor from the pain, black out. At least an elbow is far less critical than a neck :)
(Actually I did seek help earlier and the doctor told me to find a different profession, then I still continued 10 more years, stubborn)

The fighting with the wheel is the repetitive task in my case.

Just for info, I have three accounts, in sum it is 71628 km driven, so, well, it can be considered as "much" I think.

I never had issues with tendinitis before, and I'm 40 and did years of gym in the middle 20th to late 30th without issues, so its not likely thats genetic in my case
I am 54 years old, I have been using a wheel for over 6 years now, and a few hours every day with no problems. Like I said in my post, If you hold both hands on the wheel you may get tendonitis, because of the tension in your hands because you are gripping the wheel to tight, just relax when you hold the wheel.
Like a few members as said on here, take frequent breaks and remember when you hold the wheel just relax your hands :).

Some people wonder why I take stupidly frequent breaks when I'm playing, it's mainly because whenever I start to feel even small discomfort when playing I'll stop. My sessions are normally 2-3 hours maximum with at least 3 or 4 short breaks in that time.

2 Main reasons for that, I don't want health issues and even being slightly uncomfortable can completely throw you off your game.

That said, I will be trying to level up my FIA account from E to A+ in ONE DAY sometime next week (Partly because I hate the low level grind and want it done, partly because I think it'll be an interesting challenge) and it'll be interesting to see if I DIE on that day I guess :lol:

Is that even possible? :(

Is it better to grind Race B or C btw?

Is that even possible? :(

Is it better to grind Race B or C btw?
If a non-alien like me can do it in 10 days, then McLaren can do it in much less time! :D
In terms of least amount of races, it took me 15 days and 72 races. It'd be a hassle, but 72 races is possible in one day, and considering it's him we're talking about, achieving A+ in 2/3rds of those races isn't a far fetch ;)

If a non-alien like me can do it in 10 days, then McLaren can do it in much less time! :D
In terms of least amount of races, it took me 15 days and 72 races. It'd be a hassle, but 72 races is possible in one day, and considering it's him we're talking about, achieving A+ in 2/3rds of those races isn't a far fetch ;)

I saw this recently and I had lots of respect.

1C215781-457F-4970-BE1A-DD90ED9C0376.jpeg

Is it better to bang out Race B’s and sacrifice a few opponents rather than spend 10 more minutes doing Race C’s?

My set-up is a temporary one that I need to put together each time. I've made marks on my desk and have forced divots into my carpet for the best positioning of my chair. I noticed back with GT5 that if the wheel and I were misalligned by the smallest amount I would start to get pains in one of my shoulders and along the shoulder blade.

This stuff can be quite serious without corrective measures.

I saw this recently and I had lots of respect.

View attachment 743655

Is it better to bang out Race B’s and sacrifice a few opponents rather than spend so long doing Race C’s?
I saw that as well- salute!

Personally, I'd stick to Race B if I can. 3 races per hour means you get matchmaked with a total of 36 players ideally, compared to Race C's 32 player per hour matchmaking. However, sometimes it's better to do Race C if you think that's where the aliens would flock ;)

I saw that as well- salute!

Personally, I'd stick to Race B if I can. 3 races per hour means you get matchmaked with a total of 36 players ideally, compared to Race C's 32 player per hour matchmaking. However, sometimes it's better to do Race C if you think that's where the aliens would flock ;)
Please don't go off topic in this Thread Alpha Cipher, and that goes for @Tou2istTrophy 👍.

Damn it!

My left hand hurts again and that means stop playing again for a while.

Stupid tendons.

Sorry for whining.

I saw a wrist-something-band in a store earlier. Maybe it might help :) of course, it's best to not play for a bit, but these might come in handy the next time you do
download (2).jpeg

They also look cool and edgy

I have no medical knowledge, so I don't want to say anything against the diagnostic, but it happened to me once, my left elbow and two left hand fingers became littl' numb, sort of semi paralysed and the doctor said it's a common musician issue ( I play electric guitar ) and some ultrasonic ( or laser ) treatment was the cure, nothing involving surgery, so maybe a second opinion you may ask...
Type on Google "cubital nerve entrapment" !
Good luck and good health for you !

I can't recommend Turmeric too highly as a treatment for tendon inflammation. A few years ago, a combination of quite high wheel time and a heavy playing schedule (pro keyboard player) caused a bad case of 'trigger finger' (locking of the fingers or thumb). The doctors were all recommending surgery or heavy steroid injection therapy (on the hands that make me a living? No 🤬 way!), but fortunately a musician friend turned me onto high dosage turmeric treatment (and immobilization of the wrist and thumb while not playing).

Took almost two months, but inflammation went completely away, no surgery, no injections.

Give it a try, you may find it far preferable to what doctors want you to do (and pay for!)...

I can't recommend Turmeric too highly as a treatment for tendon inflammation. A few years ago, a combination of quite high wheel time and a heavy playing schedule (pro keyboard player) caused a bad case of 'trigger finger' (locking of the fingers or thumb). The doctors were all recommending surgery or heavy steroid injection therapy (on the hands that make me a living? No 🤬 way!), but fortunately a musician friend turned me onto high dosage turmeric treatment (and immobilization of the wrist and thumb while not playing).

Took almost two months, but inflammation went completely away, no surgery, no injections.

Give it a try, you may find it far preferable to what doctors want you to do (and pay for!)...

Thank you very much! Thats exactly what I have, "trigger finger" (btw, sounds funny, but isn't).

I just read there is tea with turmeric. I will look where I can find it.

@Krypton78 - Also, search for other natural anti-inflammatory agents, as there are many...

EDIT: I heard that pineapple was a pretty good one.

Last edited:
I have cerebral palsy so (especialy with age) my muscles tend to spasm. Sometimes legs start to shake mid braking zone.
For me it is hard to know if it's the gaming that causes it but I feel you guys.

On the other side of all this, until getting the wheel I could not move my left foot at all. After 1-2h gaming seassion (usualy with breaks) I stand up with more stability in my feet.

The racing position does a lot. I noticed that just couple of mm change in seating position can cause me disconfort and 0.5-1s in racing pace.

Did some longer racing this weekend but pulled a muscle by getting out of bed getting ready (to physical therapy of all places) this morning :D
You never know.

I remember a time when I managed to cut my finger with G25 paddles.
Palm skin would start to peal (I also have some skin problems).
Now I'm using gloves all the time while racing (no fun in the summer tho)

It's all genetics. If your dad/mom has tendinitis you're predisposed to it. Any repetitive task would have made it flare up, the wheel has nothing to do with it.

Thats interesting, I did not know that. I have had tendinitis in both forearms/elbows on and off for the 20 years. I have heard that once you get tendonitis it is very easy for it to reoccur. I think I had 2 cortisone shots over the years and it certainly makes it immediately feel better for a while but in the end it did not really heal it.

That said, I will be trying to level up my FIA account from E to A+ in ONE DAY
This will be a tough Challenge, I tried something similar on my GTP Account and it took me 3 Days. If you do the Daily A it’s probably possible but you‘ll need to play without a break. If you do a 24 hour Session, it’s quite possible.

Hello Community!

I have pain since two weeks on my left elbow and on two fingers also, the movement of the fingers are "weird" in the mornings.

The doctor said today I have tendinitis/ tendosynovitis there, maybe I'll need even a little surgery.

My guess is it mus be related to intensive playing with wheel since GTS release. So I wanted to tell you please be carefull and go to doctor if you have pain also.

I'm also pretty sure gloves would have helped, if I would have used them. Cause they dim the vibrations.

Its not a such bad thing at all, there are a trillion time worse things, but for me as a passioned player, it means saying goodbye to playing for a long while.

Please don't say this will not happen to me, since I'm a physical quite strong person, I also thought such things could not happen to me.
What car do you drive in real life? Is it manual?

What car do you drive in real life? Is it manual?

Yes, a "normal" car (VW Jetta 2010)

But I have a short way to work, so I don't drive so much.

My guess is because I don't use s seat at home I'm sitting to close to the wheel and do steer more or less only with my hands and not from the shoulders. And the T-GT is even in low FFB settings very strong

Thank you very much! Thats exactly what I have, "trigger finger" (btw, sounds funny, but isn't).

I just read there is tea with turmeric. I will look where I can find it.

Eat lots of Indian curry! It has tonnes of Turmeric. There is also Turmeric milk you can make You tube search for how to consume turmeric most efficiently. You might as well enjoy it . :)

Yes, a "normal" car (VW Jetta 2010)

But I have a short way to work, so I don't drive so much.

My guess is because I don't use s seat at home I'm sitting to close to the wheel and do steer more or less only with my hands and not from the shoulders. And the T-GT is even in low FFB settings very strong

In my case (Audi A5 2.0 tfsi manual) the stick vibrates slightly from the transmission and I always believed that some people who leave their hands on the stick might grow a sickness out of it. My father is an orthopaedician (or however it is spelled :D ) and he always warn me about it.

The doctor said today I have tendinitis/ tendosynovitis there, maybe I'll need even a little surgery.
I'm having problems myself and found this thread. Nice to see so many doctors in this forum to contradict Krypton's doc. Sure, the wheel has nothing to do with it.

Injuries can happen no matter what.

I'm not the fittest person out there, but I'm still young and I've been working out several times a week and making much better choices with my diet this summer.

I hurt myself playing a few weeks ago as well. It happened when I got my Gr2 Daily Race win at Interlagos.

After several bad races, I finally got my win. Feeling lucky I tried another race.

The Gr2s are tough for me at Interlagos as they slide all over the track. At one point I turned into turn 1 and immediately my right arm came up lame. Not sure what I did but it took a little over 24 hrs to stop feeling numb.

I turned in the corner and it just immediately went numb. It was all tingly and just felt weird.

Sounds like you pinched a nerve ( Cervical radiculopathy ) Its easy to do while sitting in odd positions or one position for extended periods of time then moving quickly or in an odd way. Its happened to me a few times over the years and can be quite painful and other times there is no pain at all and just get numb with that tingly feeling.

Latest Posts

Back