Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

So the C2 Vette's are getting the COTW treatment?

I take it a fresh coat of red paint will be mandatory as well? ;)

The '63 only split window is THE defining feature of this year of Corvette which makes them rather good collectors items. :drool:

The C2 throughout its life came with a variation of 5.4 V8's, a single 6.5 V8 and few variations of the almighty 7.0 V8. :D

The one we have is the 5.4 making around 250hp going through a 3 speed Manual gearbox.

Now considering that the Corvette had some monster engines which were quoted as high as 425hp, it's understandable to take those numbers as fact.

But there's this little thing called 'Gross Horsepower'.

Gross Horsepower was how most American manufacturers rated their cars hp before 1972 and the way it was done was by strapping the engine on to a stand and testing it WITHOUT any accessories installed like extra pumps, extra fans and in some cases, no mufflers and optimal ignition timing.

Basically the numbers that engine would put out at the flywheel would be under ideal conditions and wouldn't be possible in full road car trim.

Now marketing and advertising of the car would of quoted the Gross HP figures instead of the NET horsepower which was lower.

How much lower? One example was a 454 LS6 equipped Chevy Chevelle that was quoted at 450 'gross horsepower', but under the NET horsepower rating it was actually around 350hp after a dyno run had one at 288hp at the rear tyres. :crazy:

Net horsepower factors in all the accessories that will be equipped to that engine including emission controls etc.

Now games as far I'm aware, don't factor in this for the classic American iron which means if it says we are getting 450hp on a stock cars in-game stats, we'll get 450hp to play with and not what it's actually making via NET horsepower.

Point of all this? if the cars quoted HP was 'gross' and not NET, enjoy it all in the world of gaming, but take it with a pinch of salt in reality unless proven otherwise. ;)👍

Obelisk's Reviews: Back from hiatus.
Week: Who cares?
Car: 1963 Chevrolet Corvette StingRay and 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Race Car

It's been a few weeks, hasn't it? Life marches on, as they say. College work piles on, new goals are made and missions set. (more on this later)

But for now, during a lull in the chaos, I was given a new car to review. Brad finally got out of jail for the debacle in Imola with the Daytona, and reached out to me.

"Hey, Obelisk. I need you to do me a favor."

What is it, Brad?

"I need you to review the '63 Corvette. Here are the keys to it."

And just like that, I was holding the keys to God knows what junker 'Vette he found. Before I could say anything, he had run off somewhere. Strange...

When I headed over to the adjacent lot, I figured out why he ran. That idiot...He stole the Z06 racer that was in a museum somewhere. Better get it back home before the cops convict me of his crime.

It took me a few days to get the Corvette back, and when I was returning it, the owner insisted that I give it a few laps on Big Willow, a few miles north.

Okay...I'll take that challenge.

After a few laps, I found the car...unpleasant. It understeered like a boat and wanted to spin at every turn. My god, it was evil. How this thing was good in its SCCA events is beyond me. I will admit, though...The straight line performance is scary. It's very much a muscle car...And I will dub it a beater because it stands no other chance at racing.

As I was bringing it back, I got caught in traffic behind an old lady in a black '63 Vette...This was quite the coincidence. Turns out, it was the RUF grandmother going to see the Z06 I happened to be in. I managed to avoid seeing her until the car was back up at the display, against all odds. I decided to catch up with her - she wanted to come see the car because her late husband always cheered for it during the races. She is going to be here for a little while, it seems. She offered me the keys to her 'Vette because she knew that I love Corvettes in general. A little later, I brought it out to the Willow Springs circuit and was informed that I would have to use the Streets of Willow layout. No biggie.

I...didn't fare as well in the road car. I spun out four times in my little hot-lap session. But I have to admit, this thing wasn't all muscle. It handled remarkably well and I found it easy to point and squirt.

The C2 is an obvious classic and a sports car, but everyone dismisses it due to its age. Just imagine their looks when that old C2 matches their newer M3 in a medium speed turn. But...It lacks a bit of power. I'll say Neutral with a side of sleeper for this one.

Now, I gotta go tell the cops why the hell I had the Z06...

Fin.

I had thought previously that some of the contributors here were a little off their rocker giving positive reviews for the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but seeing people handing "Beater" verdicts to the Maserati Gran Turismo just outright makes me think they're...well....

The Maserati has all the makings of a winner in my book. I can forgive not having bleeding edge levels of performance when the car offers gorgeous styling, gobs of power, and raucous amounts of controllable tire shredding whenever you want to slide through the corners.

Some of my fellow testers have admitted to struggling to "Get" this car, and I think that maybe they were expecting a Ferrari with a different logo. The best analogy I can come up with this car is that its essentially an American muscle car wearing an Armani suit. Or maybe a T-Bone steak with a side of Spaghetti Bolognese. Either way the Gran Turismo S is neither Beater or Sleeper, but a car just as comfortable storming down the Brickyard as it is cruising the boulevard.

But there's this little thing called 'Gross Horsepower'.

Precisely why most American auto enthusiasts annoy the hell out of me. Everyone wants to say their Camaro makes 400+ hp without knowing how it was measured at the time.

Do you even Net, bro? smh

"Hey, Obelisk. I need you to do me a favor."

What is it, Brad?

"I need you to review the '63 Corvette. Here are the keys to it."

Since when have I ever been this polite? I smell a lawsuit for defamation of character...

1QK2HStBhcoVz3U3WrthwSV97L6tM9W2_ao81TS0FDWLWwTUFFeL5yP6FlgAsiNbBfeMOqIVeLkZ6jiCXF3VImEi-hUrJFhy-9SGCfEATFB05HiGc-Voce6i682VnO2_Z-k7VkDc19Hbzd1bXL863ymZQW3TYyMiM-b8RnE_JjSYaSwx-H_nz2fCevSb_s2h0W-1UBstNAJddAbsHsY5lcI8U42wcSL_mKwm0lCx6ntnUGdl4MWLmMFrnihOJIOZVexAmBUW6h4DBC-_bl58ftYoKHxl08AQ7bn6nPFjwRajSCNf0LS-xdoYR0KEb0b5d2UIHaMIuj799dJhc0AttGhnQTkTaH1QDKran8LwMac7HUhWWGF4PGRNeaTxkXMywIvygKb9iS2K7qb8H0JYfeyWtIgdRdfH3CaMHXX97Oa3_J0wf4y6ipHGCIXUREuX-sFFdVS3f04X8qVW2_FWCrGb45_31IX1M20B7D6Msbu2rthryHSXiuUG--c9mRFi_JO9jq15IA3xhEfwLrR1hN_-FuC3E3_zTe7SD-IVlgvBqpR8TNaZTy7btzI_svXrwDez=w858-h643-no

From a 2013 OKC Cars and Coffee event.

Last edited:
I love Corvettes and the 63-67 is probably the greatest Corvette series ever made but the 58:42 weight distribution bugs me.

The modern Corvettes (C5-C7) makes things too easy. Low weight, high power, perfect weight distribution, plenty of gears, acceleration and top speed is there... and the car is well priced.

I also like Mustangs Camaros Challengers Chargers etc. but in the end, the Corvettes dust them.

*This is a review for the C2 road version.

Introduction

The C2. My favorite generation for the Corvette, this adds more power, pop up headlights, and an even more classy style than the previous generation. This generation lasted from 1962-1967, and has a 15th Anniverary Edition version in GT6.

The Looks

The C2 has that '60s vibe. Smooth lines, classic rims, nice interior, this car has it all. It's great that they made this a premium car for GT6, yet I still wish that the C2 Race Car was premium. Anyways, this, along with the later C1 generation, was the first to have the four tailights which would become a standard of Corvettes to come.

The Specs

The C2 produces 248 HP @ 4,500 rpm and 350.0 ft-lb of torque @ 3,000 rpm. All this comes from a front-mounted, naturally aspirated, 5,359 cc engine. The car weighs 1,370 kg.

Acceleration Test

0-60: 6.284 sec
0-100: 17.183 sec
400m: 14.367 sec
1,000m: 26.350 sec
Top Speed: 152 mph (est.)

You probably though that this car would hit only 120 mph, but even I was surprised to see this car hit 150. It has three gears, and does lose some power at high rpms.Times are still OK though, with the car hitting 60 in just over six seconds.

Road Test

To get it out of the way, I'll just say that the C2 isn't the greatest on corners. Understeer is very prominent, with the mention of weak brakes. You can't just throw it in a corner and expect it to take it like a rocket, but instead you have to find a way past the understeer, predict the time to brake, and then go and push it. Not all is bad though. The car is nice to just go and cruise around the 'Ring, which is probably the strong suit of driving this car (unless you want to go drifting of course).
After one lap, I clocked in a time of 8:51.397.

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Great looks
  • Can go faster than the classic muscle cars
  • Nice color selection
Cons
  • Lots of understeer
  • Loses power at high RPMs
  • Overlooked

Final Thoughts

Despite the negatives of this car, I still love it. Lower it and join a cruise room at Monaco, and you have a cruiser capable of a great photo shoot, or make it a drifter that may surprise some people. No, it's not the greatest on track, but this isn't a sports car. My final verdict for this is.....

Sleeper

My review of every Corvette, including my experiences when my family had a '72 convertible:

"You saved your retirement money for this? Couldn't afford actual taste and good sense, I assume."

My response to the "Blah Blah Blah" rebuttal of every Vette owner I've ever met:

"Sure, I'll come pick you up after 150k miles, and after you've located a flatbed to haul it back home. But since you'll be miserable, won't shut up about it and will cry the entire way home, you're paying double for gas, Uncle Scrooge."

What? You'd prefer "I told you so"? Those same preferences got you into this mess to begin with, remember? #SawedOffSodOff

General Motors died the day Bunkie Knudeson and John DeLorean were fired. Everything before is a reminder that everything after has been completely 1/4-assed. Accountants cannot and should not build and design cars. Ask Chrysler.
GM's coming back with some good cars, though.

I drive an '05 Impala and it has not made a fuss at all.

The Corvette C3 from 1968 to 1982 was a dry period. Early C3s are ok but those 180hp California smog specials. No. People kind of hate the early C4s as well. Let's not dwell on those too much but just acknowledge those exist... mainly at the wrecking yards.

A simple forum post isn't going to persuade you. Only time, blood and money can provide the lessons you're expecting. Though you enjoy smug satisfaction now, I know what's next, and as the Zen Buddhist said:

We shall see.
Besides -- All of the parts that would've gone bad have been pre-emptively replaced. The only major issue I had was a dirty EGR valve, and the thermometer gauge is a bit fritzy. I'll be getting a new car anyways.

You're asking a deaf guy to watch a video that focuses on dialog.

So forgive me when I remind him that closed captioning works, and that by now he should be aware of how.

I can also draw charts, but I can't promise they'll be legible, nor will they hold your hand, either. If you haven't learned to overcome adversity by now, Pvt. Joker, I can promise you that the school-of-McClaren's course on Tough Love in the Face of Overwhelming Odds does not, in fact, get easier.

I can promise, however, that eventually you'll thank me for it, that in itself is it's own reward. The difference between me and the Miracle Worker is that I'm still working on what water is, but that hasn't stopped me from taking a drink or two.

It was just a soda the other private snuck in.
It's cute, the way you think I didn't know. Did you ever ask why he did it?

By the way, I've pitched an idea for a series and have used this group as a reference, but it's nothing intrusive, abusive, or scandalous. If it gets approved any participation from the members here would be entirely of their own choosing, and I'm sure that it's already been done before but not nearly enough.

I've reached out to a professional driver manager to see if there are any female drivers, also of every age/skill level just like everyone else that joins a lobby or event, to join us in a demonstration. The demonstration would provide evidence that capability, intelligence and competitiveness are not restricted because of gender. Not that "girls can too", but rather that "girls are no better or worse and deserve a fair go". The opposite of what Bernie Ecclestone and a few others have been parading about for decades, that motorsports is a Boys Only club.

The theory: we're all piranhas.

Last edited:
You ask him. I didn't.

So, rather than buy a clue you're using that for a new car. Interesting choice, Pvt. Interesting choice. I assume you'll be absent again this week, but I hope that school is going well... though I think I already get a sense, and by all means take all the time there you need. I'll still be here when you're ready, likely most will be too. Focus on that because it is important, and investing in yourself is the only sure thing you'll ever find that doesn't involve 1. death, 2. taxes, 3. my mom.

Also, let's not forget what this week is about... other than the car, of course.

Last edited:
Storms have knocked out my internet, can someone host tonight's race if I'm not on?
(Posted from my phone)

Back