Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Rightio, the R33 Touring Car!
Tsukuba Circuit_5.jpg

I picked a PD-original race car again (Won't do it a third time, don't worry!), but this one is much more desireable than the Mazda. Why? Well, it's fully premium. You can paint it, change the wheels on it, give it your own number, it's much more forgiving than the RX-8 thanks to the 4WD and it's less than a quarter the price of the RX-8, at a not-at-all-bad $230k.

The R33 drives pretty well, it has a good strong launch off the line but lacks acceleration in the upper rev range, as @Vic Reign93 mentioned. It clings to corners with relative ease, though is susceptible to understeer, due to the 4WD. The races were awesome, really enjoyed them! Would have loved to do a long race in it! It also looks the part, with a sexy widebody and not surprising GT logo livery letting you know that this isn't just some clubman car, this is a proper serious racecar!

One thing I noticed is that in GT5, you can see its whole interior. Shift lights, RPM, speed and gear. But in GT6 the steering wheel covers the lights and gear, what the..?

It's not the fastest touring car, but it's sure a strong contender against most racing cars in GT6. Sleeper! 👍

*NOTE*
I know, this isn't nearly as in depth as my normal reviews. But I'm quite pressed for time this week, what with exams, projects and other goings on in the family. Fear not, it's only this week, the Rocket will recieve my normal in depth photo coverage, review and attention!

Mines the Lotus 97T at 781.2 miles which is kinda expected, but my first actual car (not the Fit) still has the most victories at 21 and that car is the Hyundai Click Type R. :lol:
My car with the most victories is my trusty old BRZ with 28 iirc. The best wheels I have on it are Sports Mediums and I only tuned it to 500pp for the beginning of the game.

Yo! Still alive, still here. Long story short I was homeless for the month of August while moving (which is still ongoing) My racing setup has been in storage and probably will be until mid - October :( Until then I will start checking in more often now that I have a place to stay.

In other news: meet my new toyView attachment 587082
Ohhhh damn, that's a beautiful looking gokart! I honestly would love one, I could make a pretty decent gokart track out of the next door church's carpark... :P

Pictures from Tuesday night's action!
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.jpg
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_1.jpg
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_2.jpg
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_3.jpg
Suzuka Circuit 2014.jpg
Suzuka Circuit 2014_1.jpg
Suzuka Circuit 2014_2.jpg
Suzuka Circuit 2014_3.jpg
Suzuka Circuit 2014_4.jpg
Suzuka Circuit 2014_5.jpg
Suzuka Circuit 2014_6.jpg
Circuito de la Sierra.jpg
Côte d'Azur.jpg
Côte d'Azur_1.jpg

The Rocket is quite probably the lightest car in GT6 (Excluding gokarts), meaning it's handling is nearly pinpoint. On some occasions I overprepared for a corner, resulting in me hitting the inside barrier! I found it difficult to navigate tight chicanes without dealing with oversteer, although through higher speed corners it's a lot quicker than even the upper tier supercars!

Also, can anyone tell me what colour that car in the last pic is, and where I can get it? I kinda dig it...

@Nismonath5 The color in that last picture is GT Polarized 010-P, a Variable Color-type paintchip. The sort of thing one wins in Seasonal Events and the like, I believe. It's not a TVR color, shockingly enough... :lol:

Also, I have to reset my own Rocket's setup back to stock values, but man will it be difficult to handle such... After all, I'm way too used to high-grip tires and the stiff suspension settings I used back in the 2h of Trial Mountain.
At least I can retain the same paint scheme? :lol:

It's time for a Rocket ride as I review some Rockets. :sly:

Rockets? yep I'm gonna break new ground and review both the LCC Rocket on GT6 and the Chrysuls Rocket 69 on Forza 6 which came over from the world of Fallout 4.

Still with me? good moving on.:)

For reference, here's a picture of the Rocket 69.

image.jpeg

Looks like the past's view of what the future looks like right? Well the 69 is obviously reference to its model year and it's not 1969, but 2069. :eek:

Now of course, it should be tricky to compare a real life car to one that only exists in the Fallout world, but this is GT6 after all so it's nothing new. :P

Ok, spec sheet time.

Light Car Company Rocket '07

1070cc Yamaha Inline 4 motorbike engine
174hp
5 speed gearbox
Weighs 390kg
Mid engined with rear wheel drive

Chrysuls Rocket 69
Unknown sized Advanced Atomic V8
1000hp
Single speed gearbox (not CVT)
Weighs 4,830lbs ( just under 2.2 tons)
Mid engined with 4WD

These two are polar opposites in design and performance, but share the Rocket name.

Let's start in reality with the LCC Rocket.

Designed by the legendary Gordon Murray and built by former racing driver Chris Craft, the LCC Rocket is a back to basics track car that looks like a classic Grand Prix racer.

With a high reving Bike engine in a lightweight body, the Rocket thrives in acceleration and handling, taking on cars with many times its power and winning.

Acceleration is great, but due to its gearing it finds its top speed of 135mph too quickly.

Handling is the same story, grips very well, but can understeer coming into the turns and can oversteer if you're too agressive with the throttle.

If mastered, it'll reward you with sweeping 4 wheel drifts and fast lap times

It's top speed issue can be rectified with a longer transmission and if you want more speed you can bolt on a turbo. :scared:

But is it a Sleeper? by normal definition (blending in and then taking names :D) it isn't, but by how good it's to drive?

Oh hell yes. :lol:👍

Now it's time to go Nuclear. :crazy:

The Chryslus Rocket 69 is something never seen in a Forza game before and it's bringing the power of the Atom with it.

Brought out earlier in the year as part of a cross promotional deal with Fallout, the Rocket 69 packs a Veryon rivalling 1000hp and with speeds touching 260+mph at Le Mans, it's no slouch.

Or rather it's no slouch at top speed, but at low speeds it's not quick.

This is partly down to the gearbox, a single speed setup like the Koenigsegg Regera, but accelerate like the Regera it does not,

The other parts of the reason is the weight at just under 2.2 Tons and the Whitewall tyres ( Whitewall tyres are usually seen on stock classic cars in Forza 6 so not good.) making braking and handling feel very sluggish.

A collectors item yes, a practical car to race in? unless you're at the Daytona Tri Oval then No.

Verdict? Beater 👎👎

Zero TC Rocket...

Time to get caught up here at COTW HQ. The past couple of weeks have seen some interesting picks, a concept that coulda, woulda, shoulda been, a race car, and a motorbike on 4 wheels.

First the Dome Zero...

wJDUSxT.jpg

Which really reminded me of the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century show on TV...

PLafPkj.jpg

3BPDmCB.jpg

I've always liked concept cars, including this one. A mid engine, lightweight and well balanced car, it provided quite a bit of fun. It will take a bit of getting used to, but when that happens, it shines... Sleeper and a Keeper vote!

Secondly, the R33 GT-R TC!

XxRVhEq.jpg

Another of PD's dream creations, you should expect decent performance right from the get go. And decent is what it is... but not exceptional. I usually do pretty good at the races, especially from pole or 2nd at the start of the race. As I found out though, my trusty TC1 setting was getting smoked off the line!!! Learning from my lessons, I redid the TT with TC0, and my time instantly improved. But not enough to escape a Neutral rating.

Last, but not least... the Rocket...

nIq5Mwx.jpg

Ahh the LCC... I got spoiled using this car tuned, and forgot what it was like to drive stock. Boy oh boy, did I pay for that... tracks I usually excel at, I was making rookie mistakes in this thing. Spinning out, snap oversteer, blah blah blah. If it weren't for my experience with it tuned, I'd give it a Beater rating even with the amazing power to weight numbers. Knowing what it can do though, saves it and it gets a Neutral rating.

Cheers

Last edited:
...hello??? (Only hears his own echo) I´m back! (Atleast kind of :boggled: ). Sadly i still don´t and won´t have internet for the next few month´s (probably not before 2017 :indiff::banghead: ). Some bad things happened in the past weeks so i apologize for my absence. I kept looking in from time to time thought. But probably won´t be as active as i want to be here for the next time. Sorry for that. :ouch::nervous:
Also i have to agree to the "thread is slowly dying opinion", it´s a pity but well. That´s how it is. I hope that it´ll change soon because this is just an awesome place for anyone who likes cars and want´s to give unknown or underrated cars a try! And that with an community full of nice and helpful people, which all deserved my deepest respect! :gtpflag:
Would you´ll be so kind and add me on my PSN so i can participate in the TT´s with you? I´m at my best friends home atm so i have internet but probably won´t join the saturday races because i have some important stuff to do. I´ll go to therapy in the next couple of days (or weeks depending how fast i´ll get approved) so i wan´t to prepare myself for this time.

Cheers to y'all mates! :cheers:

The Rocket now holds my record for longest run, having logged a total of 450km over the past few days, in various events :eek:

My first BMW Z4 GT3 still holds my distance record at 4,670.9 km's...

Here's a few more...

My TS030 hybrid has 4,457 km's
My Megane Trophy Base Model has 2,833 km's
My second BMW Z4 GT3 has 2,761 km's
My 905B LM '92 has 2,142 km's
My Opera S2000 has 1,952 km's
My Ferrari FXX has 1,655 km's
My RX500 has 1,473
My Shelby Cobra Coupe Daytona has 1,277 km's
My HSV-010 Base Model has 1,238 km's

That's my top 10 in my normal garage, haven't checked the Stockyard for others yet ;)

Cheers

We will rock you!
The ultra lightweight pocket rocket that never ceases to amaze!
Matterhorn Riffelsee.jpg

Asher is cleared for takeoff

If you're just starting out your Gran Turismo 6 experience, chances are you'll end up with a Light Car Company Rocket in your garage. You'll either buy it for a not-at-all-unreasonable $100,000, or Lord March will give you one if you achieve gold in the first few events at his estate. Either way, acquiring one isn't a bad thing at all...

From a 1100cc motorbike engine, you get 178bhp. This wouldn't be a mind blowing number on a normal car, but this is a rather special car. It's super lightweight, tipping the scales at a miniscule 390kgs. This makes it the lightest car in Gran Turismo, with the obvious exception of Karts. And in the wise words of the Skyrim hold guards...
1ightly armoured.jpg

"Lightly armoured means light on your feet. Smart." 👍

The Rocket is very lightweight on it's fee- erm, wheels. :D And as a result it boasts incomparable handling. This gives it a distinct ability to punch well above it's weight. A bunch of supercars went up against it throughout the week, and the Rocket defeated each and every one of them with relative ease. Ferrari 599, Lambo Murcielago, Acura NSX, and yet the Rocket wrecked them all simply by being light and agile!

Deep Forest Raceway.jpg

The picture says it all...

The incredible acceleration is further helped by a close ratio 5 speed gearbox, which is great for tight and complex tracks, but if you're put on a track with a long straight, you will struggle. The transmission tops out at just over 215km/h, and this is when any other supercar will pounce, blasting past before falling behind in the upcoming corners. This sort of "double edged sword" transmission makes the Rocket a bit more exciting to drive, you really need to get ahead in the complexes to avoid getting hunted down on the straights. :sly:

Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg

Mid-Field Raceway.jpg

Wheel to wheel Mid-Field action!

Speaking of complexes, the Rocket does have a little trouble navigating chicanes. There's obviously not much weight, but on sports hards, that weight does get thrown around quite violently, especially through a tight right-left sequence, and if you're not careful you'll end up in a speed-sapping slide, or worse, a spin. I love the touring car style race dash, and it sounds like it's really working for its pace. Now as far as customisation, there are no additional parts you can add to it, but you can paint it and add your own number, so you can still personalise it.
Autumn Ring - Mini_1.jpg

Special gold Rocket not $100k, instead try $500k! :lol:

The LCC Rocket is a definite sleeper. It has unbelievable agility, the ability to knock down even the most prestegious supercars and with a fraction of the power, and all for a bargain price! 👍
I would call it the top Sleeper so far, but I think the Sirion still has that title, because looking at the Rocket you kinda get the hint it's something special, whereas the Sirion looks nothing like a flame-spitting supercar killer.

Last edited:
I gotta say, the variety of the last few weeks has been pretty good! There's been an EV, a "Muscle truck", a concept car, racecar and a featherweight flyer..

Next up on the agenda is a Supercar! :D
Congratulations @RobboGTAddict!!!

Well, well, let's see...

COTW.jpg

It's the 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren!!!!! Now get those damn high heels off my car!!!! :mad:

Right then, good sir, tell us where we're playing with TT's this week...

Give me a few days to decide, I'm gonna look for a good custom track.

A few days later...

If the SLR is still the car...

Nah, sorry there bud. I decided to replace it with a simplified FF Japanese hatchback... :yuck:

I'd like to drive it at Twin Ring East. I didn't get a chance to look for custom tracks.

This week's event will be made tomorrow, there's still a solid few hours left on the Rocket's event, so someone try beat Baron's currently fastest time of 1:28.164!

Also, how's @McClarenDesign's blog and all that going on? Haven't really heard anything from him or about him lately..

Thanks @Draggon , you were getting a little too close for my comfort. But that's the benefit of COTW... we all push each other to improve! And improve is what you people have done, which forces me not to get complacent, so I try to improve, which I thank all of you for... vicious circles can be fun!

Speaking of vicious circles...

Happy Birthday to @Nismonath5 today on #granturismotuesday !!!

Cheers

Have your fun for a few more weeks @Baron Blitz Red , I am coming back soon to revive our little rivalry. :sly:

Awesome... looking forward to it!!! You've been missed, and it's always fun to paint the podium with our favourite colours... Red, White and Blew by everybody else! :lol: ;)

Cheers Baron! :cheers:
So yep, I'm 17 now... though I'm still the baby of the group! :lol:

I wish I could back to being 17...I had hair back then! :cool:

Cheers

Happy birthday Nathan! We should have a party emoji on this site!

I was racing slot cars around the SF Bay Area at 17. Video games and internet were things that were not even thought of back then.

When your as old as BBR and I, the places that should have hair don't, and the places that.......nevermind, TMI. :ouch:

Back