Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I'm afraid I'll be missing out on Saturday's SSR "racing greatness"; I seen to have come down with a case of cold, and I'm not feeling so good (as you'd expect). And I don't think this cold will be gone by tomorrow night, so I'm afraid I'll be sitting this one out.

I really apologize for my absence of the past few weeks, but life has put quite a few obstacules in my way. Such as annoying diseases...

I'm afraid I'll be missing out on Saturday's SSR "racing greatness"; I seen to have come down with a case of cold, and I'm not feeling so good (as you'd expect). And I don't think this cold will be gone by tomorrow night, so I'm afraid I'll be sitting this one out.

I really apologize for my absence of the past few weeks, but life has put quite a few obstacules in my way. Such as annoying diseases...
No problem Niku, get better soon mate! :)

I can't speak for the car in stock form as I have only raced it with my own tunes. However, for whatever respective PP you set it at, while you can make it feel okay to drive, it is slow at every thing that it has to do - acceleration, cornering speed, braking and top speed. They are all terrible for it''s PP rating and you will be fighting for last place against almost any other car within the same regulations.

Nismo's Car Of The Week Reviews!!!!
This week: '03 Chevrolet SSR
Gemasolar.jpg

Guys, I don't even know where to start with this one cos there's so much to cover...
But let's just kick it off by showing you the SSR's main feature, a feature that you'll never see on GT6..

Right, so then, the SSR! :odd:
Right from the get go, I never liked it. Even back in GT4, when it was a new car I never gave it a second thought. Its looks completely repelled me. And this week has showed me it was so much more than looks that was wrong with it! Out of a 5.3 V8, you'd expect anywhere from 370bhp to 500bhp, but the SSR only provides 310bhp. Now, this wouldn't be a major concern if the weight was reasonable. But it's not. It's 2200kgs. Take this power, this weight, and place it on a not-very-rigid body with pretty bouncy suspension, and you're left with a pretty underwhelming vehicle on the track.

Apricot Hill Raceway_2.jpg

I'll admit it, the purple looks great on Asher's SSR... (Also, Baron's busy making sand castles!)

Off the line, it's beaten by pretty much anything. once it gets up to speed (about a half hour later), it has absolutely no cornering capability unless you're willing to sacrifice your speed to avoid total and utter understeer. The gears are long and boggy, which further infuriates you if you're stuck in the tight complexities of Tsukuba or climbing the elevations of Matterhorn. It's only a 4 speed, so don't expect a high top end speed, if you even manage to get there..

At least it sounds like a V8 though, so that's good. It's got that deep, bassy grumble you'd expect to hear, wish it performed like a V8 though... :crazy:

High Speed Ring_1.jpg

Dem booties ain't pretty..

Then there's the styling. I get that it's inspired by the 50's, but it looks like it belongs in an arcade game like Cruisin' USA, y'know, the type of game where instead of licensing real cars, they just make a generic muscle car, sports car, pick up truck, etc. Now I'm not saying that the SSR's generic. It's certainly unique. It just looks like it would fit in quite well in a game like that.

As for the races, well I was terrible. I hate the SSR, utterly, utterly hate it. It's slow, boring, uninspiring, and too hyped up for its own good. It's not a "super sports roadster v8 muscle pickup truck", it's a "v8 but still horrendously slow overweight pile of crap with a convertible roof". I ditched the SSR after a while on Sunday and went for the other extreme, a lightweight. In my case, an Alpine A110 15th anniv. And that was able to lay waste to the SSR with relative ease, even though it got bullied by Cowboy in a Dodge Ram...

Tsukuba Circuit_2.jpg

True story, I was racing using interior cam, and I looked back to find this bloody big thing right behind me, and I let out a legit "oh!" of surprise, mainly due to the realisation Cowboy could probably crush me in that Ram. :lol:

Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg

A rare occurence, this... an SSR actually on the racing line!

Nürburgring 24h.jpg

Darkness and rain makes the SSR worse to drive than it already is.

Baron decided to go against the SSR in the current "beater of the year" candidate, the Fiat Coupe Turbo. And even that managed to out-drag the SSR, pull away and generally prove that it's no longer BOTY. Other comparisons included a TVR V8S and Ferrari Dino, both of which smashed the SSR. (Especially that Dino, nice driving there @Cowboy!)

Twin Ring Motegi West Course.jpg

If someone ever asks for a pic that describes COTW, I feel like this is it.

Overall, the Chevy SSR is a pile of junk. As mentioned before, fully tuned it's alright, but in its stock form all you're gonna achieve is total and utter humiliation. It's not just a beater, it's our new front-runner for "Beater Of The Year". It has no handling, very little power, is bogged down with weight, unattractive, and standard! Nothing screams "BEATER!!!!!!" more than the SSR. 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

Another funny thing, I went on Omegle and asked random strangers if the SSR was good. THE RANDOMS HAVE SPOKEN!!!!
Screenshot_2016-09-01-18-07-31-1.png
Screenshot_2016-09-03-23-11-46-1.png
Screenshot_2016-09-03-23-12-12-1.png

I know, doublepost!!!! But if I combined my review with the next car reveal, it woulda been too big a post, yannow?
Regardless, I'm sure you're all itching to get out of that awful excuse for an automobile.

Save us (and congratulations), @RuSTeD!!!!

Waitaminute... Wat? YAY!!! I get the honor to pick a car! :drool::dopey: Of course i´d like to take the big burden to choose a car!

Yes, you get the honour. Your lightning quick reading and eagerness to be a part of the family hasn't been forgotten, and what better way to involve yourself than by picking a car?!

According to all the picks since this thread is alive i saw a car missing which is definately a candidate for a sleeper! It´s actually one of my favourite cars. I looove to drive and cruise with it :D And I'm sure you guys will enjoy the car as much as I did

To be fair, I'm kinda surprised this one hasn't been picked yet too, mate. The price is a bit of a turn off, but other than that the rest of it screams out "Pick meeeeee!!!!!!"
It's the 1978 Dome Zero!!!!
童夢-零(Dome_Zero)_(8014531836).jpg
Yes, we're going from two-tonne turd to featherweight flyer! :sly:

This week's TT will be taking place at the Wriedel Test Centre, created by @eran0004, as chosen by @Vic Reign93. I'm hoping Brad will set up an event and change the title soon, but not sure how often he's checking up on the thread, if at all. We'll see... In any case, I've shared the track, so save it and take the Dome for a thrash! See you all Tuesday! :cheers:

Last edited:
Other comparisons included a TVR V8S and Ferrari Dino, both of which smashed the SSR. (Especially that Dino, nice driving there @Cowboy!)
The Dino is a blast to drive around the Autumn Ring, though I think I was on SH tires whereas everyone else was on CS.

Good racing today nonetheless, especially that battle between me and Vic at the Nürb :cheers:

Great review and race report @Nismonath5. When @Baron Blitz Red and the Fiat just plain owned us at Motegi, the truly horrible beater nature of the SSR became even more apparent. I hesitantly switched to the Lotus Carlton, not a good car by any means, and it too made mincemeat of the SSR, with BBR in a 95 Eclipse being quite an even match. But there's another valid point, even the super mega beater Eclipse is a hugely faster car.

As for the Dome, that's going be fun. Cue the Styx puns.

Chevrolet SSR '03
5.3L
289 hp / 5,500 rpm
325 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
2,248 kg (4,956 lbs)
413 pp

This car, or whatever it's trying to be, is extremely overweight, and doesn't even put out a full 300 horsepower. It's power-to-weight ratio is abysmal, at 17.15 lbs/hp.

Mid-Field Raceway, CS tires, ABS-1.

117 mph on the straight, with a minimum speed of 66 mph through Turn 1. What a pig.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:32.247 - 385 - Citroën C4 Coupe 2.0VTS '05
1:32.415 - 372 - Hyundai Tiburon Turbulence '99
1:32.581 - 375 - Pontiac Vibe GT '03
1:32.587 - 389 - Peugeot 406 Coupé 3.0 V6 '98
1:32.594 - 379 - Hyundai Tuscani CCS '03
1:32.608 - 381 - Mazda Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R '93
1:32.734 - 375 - Mazda Atenza Sport 25Z '07
1:32.737 - 413 - Chevrolet SSR '03
1:32.748 - 392 - Citroën C5 V6 Exclusive '03
1:32.772 - 382 - Mazda Atenza Sports 23Z '03
1:32.835 - 376 - Toyota Vitz RS Turbo '02
1:32.884 - 372 - Nissan Silvia Q's Aero (S14) '93
1:32.898 - 359 - Alpine A310 1600VE '73
1:32.954 - 371 - Nissan Silvia Varietta (S15) '00
1:33.202 - 375 - Mazda Familia Sedan Sport 20 '02

A common Mazda Atenza is as fast as this fat piece of ****. Sorry, I just really hate this SSR. It wouldn't be so bad if the 5.7L version was included in the game, but for some reason they gave us the worst-performing one just like with the Pontiac GTO. It's such a beater I can't even think of a single redeeming quality other than it's very stable because it's so fat.

Finally, I have time to post!! :D

Also, I was lucky to find both (Evie an Tesla) in the same seasonal. Perfect time for a cover-photo lol.

Circuito di Roma_3.jpg

1st, the Tesla!!

Andalucía_4.jpg

Went to Oakhill road, and fired up Twenty one pilot's "Heathens" on the radio (and enjoyed it the full out of it since we are talking about a muted car) lol

Don't worry, I tested the standard and my build above :). Since this is a electric car, there's no too much to touch to improve acceleration apart from the weight (From 2 tons to almost 1.5 lighted up!). And with just hitting 214 km/h flatted out, you wouldn't call it the fastest car out there, but yes the quickest, and that's something I like about electric cars, the torque from it's RC engine lol. The brakes weren't that bad, consider this is a 2 TON 4 wheeler, stock, and it's really a boat to turn, but as @Nismonath5 said:

However my main purpose for my Tesla isn't racing as such.. it is, in fact, drifting!

The torque, the weight, the drivetrain, all of that screams out "DRIFT!!!"

Definition: Sleeper 100% 👍👍 (as a car, and as a mobile child's bed), and if you don't believe me, check this video at your own risk!!

Check the P85+ or D, don't know, on the boot, that's the signature perfomance stamp! Another easter egg found :D. And, I beelieeve I can flyyy. I beelieeve I can touch the skies. I think about it every night and daaaay. Spread my wings and flyyy aaawaaaaYYy!!
Andalucía_3.jpg

Ok, and now, the MAIN STAR of the Sunday night! The sexy beast from Japan! The Ying of the Yang, the Bernie of Howard, the Rally legend, the Subbie kryptonite, the diamond's blood and others!! :D

tumblr_nd35neloJ71rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Evie (Evo VI/6.5 GSR)!! ♥

And such a virtual beauty needs to be together with another virtual beauty!! So here's a little story mixing both ♥

Ronda_5.jpg

Evie and Julia together, oh my virtual heart!! ♥

Ok, here it is! :D

"''IH jaj legh virtual ronda, nuqDaq touring 'IH ('ej virtual) indian be'Hom around je puH Duj "evie" pong, neH qugh chaH around, photos 'ej spanish beautifulness vo' accient veng SuvwI' noy meH 'oH..."

Fine, I will do it in English, but it loses it's something... BTW, my name's not Sheldon lol

"It was a beautiful day at a virtual Ronda, where a beautiful (and virtual) indian girl was touring around with her car called "Evie", they were just cruising arround, taking photos and enjoying the spanish beautifulness from the accient town famous for it's bridge and the "calle de *insert name here*". She was enjoying everything around her, even she grabbed one of her GoPros and decided to take a selfie inside "Evie"...

Ronda_11.jpeg

She was on a road trip around Europe as well, and after Spain, she and "Evie" went to Italy for a little and fast trip. One privilege "Evie" had was something called "Active YAW control system", which allowed her to get loose for most of the corners, her YAW control was at 90 because at 30 it was really stiff for the girl's taste. Evie is a 1999-2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI//6.5 GSR, which belongs to rally-legendary family by it's own, Evie's sisters were 1990's WRC champions before her, all thanks to a Finnish man called Tommi Makkinen. The girl, being an adventurer knew her story, and she adopted and took care of her and her 2.0 4G63 engine which develops 276... No sorry, 317hp to all the 4 wheels. What the girl loved about Evie was her rally capablities, Evie counted with 3 modes of racing: Tarmac, Rally, and Snow.

Circuito di Roma_1.jpg

On tarmac, it was very tricky, but the well-adjusted YAW control allowed her to own the italian rocky roads, and proof Evie's WRC memories on-roads. Evie's brakes weren't bad too, being brembo brakes taken out from her racing sister, so Evie could stop as quickly as both wanted. Off-road tho, it was another completely story, the girl felt like home on the dirt, and Evie felt home as well. Both had the drive of their lifes. The girl considers Evie a total 100% Sleeper, Both know Evie have some issues, like any other car, but it is an amazing experience for both being together on the road, and off the road 👍👍"

More photos at my gallery!!! :D

Last edited:
Special Announcement

Rather than wait for @McClarenDesign to set up a club event, since we don't know if or when he'll even be on GTP next, I figured this week's "Playing with TT's" will be done differently.. (It's either this or wait for who knows how long for Brad)

How to participate in this week's TT
1. Save the Wriedel Test Centre track to your account. It can be found on my page, or various other members who have already shared it.

2. Select the track from the offline Free Run mode. It must be offline, since you all know about the online-offline physics difference...

3. Drive fast.

4. Upload a screenshot to this thread of your fastest recorded time!

Simple! :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Unoficially official results of the SSR at Eiger Norwand-K Trail

1. G_ASHER 4:37.202
2. BaronBlitzRed 4:39.229
3. Rob_on_Drums 4:52.201
4. bigharpking 4:58.062
5. kunalpradhan 5:19.121

I rather liked the SSR on dirt and snow. Reminded me of how surprising the PT Cruiser was. But on pavement, yuck.

Dome Dome-Zero '78
2.8L
162 hp / 6,500 rpm
166 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
920 kg (2,028 lbs)
402 pp

Is this the same engine that Nissan used for the 280Z? The Z-car is down 20 hp but has the same 166 ft-lbs at 4,000 rpm as the Dome.

128 mph on the front straight, with a minimum cornering speed of 72 mph through Turn 1.

To put an interesting perspective on this car, the slowest NSX in the game (Acura '91) is only 6 tenths of a second faster. That car has 104 more horses, 44 more ft-lbs of torque, and weighs 445 kg (981 lbs) more than the Dome. Wow. This car makes the NSX look heavy!

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:25.778 - 443 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
1:25.794 - 474 - Chevrolet Silverado SST '02
1:25.802 - 466 - Mercedes-Benz CLK 55 AMG '00
1:25.816 - 442 - Nissan Fairlady Z Roadster (Z33) '03
1:25.826 - 443 - Toyota Prius Touring Car
1:25.858 - 483 - Fisker Karma EcoSport '12
1:25.858 - 456 - Nismo GT-R LM Road Going Version '95
1:25.869 - 443 - Audi TTS Coupe '09
1:25.897 - 431 - Renault Sport Clio V6 Phase 2 '03
1:25.925 - 440 - Renault Sport Mégane R.S. Trophy '11
1:25.935 - 440 - Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) '89
1:25.939 - 446 - Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
1:26.093 - 427 - Chrysler Prowler '02
1:26.206 - 440 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT Spec.B '03
1:26.207 - 419 - Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
1:26.208 - 442 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96
1:26.222 - 473 - Dodge Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71
1:26.237 - 462 - Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
1:26.241 - 441 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT '03
1:26.248 - 439 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version II '95
1:26.252 - 468 - Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70
1:26.276 - 402 - Dome Dome-Zero '78
1:26.286 - 480 - Plymouth Superbird '70
1:26.359 - 442 - Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury '07
1:26.372 - 427 - Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT-8 '02
1:26.398 - 449 - BMW M Coupé '98
1:26.460 - 479 - Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 '70
1:26.534 - 490 - Dodge Challenger R/T '70
1:26.543 - 427 - Volkswagen Golf IV GTI Touring Car '01
1:26.638 - 454 - Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '98
1:26.677 - 433 - Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro '07
1:26.718 - 423 - Honda S2000 '06
1:26.766 - 410 - Lancia Stratos '73

Sandwiched between two muscle cars. Ah, I see a Lancia Stratos in there, now that car is miserable to try and perfect a lap time. And a Renault Sport Clio V6, so there's two MR competitors. Nice!

It can hold its own around a racetrack, even today. There truly is something extra special about MR cars with a good balance of weight and power. Love this car. Sleeper!

Unoficially official results of the SSR at Eiger Norwand-K Trail

1. G_ASHER 4:37.202
2. BaronBlitzRed 4:39.229
3. Rob_on_Drums 4:52.201
4. bigharpking 4:58.062
5. kunalpradhan 5:19.121

I rather liked the SSR on dirt and snow. Reminded me of how surprising the PT Cruiser was. But on pavement, yuck.
You missed me by the way.

Now that we've left that automotive WTF by GM in the dust, it's time to head to the Dome, the ThunderDome. :sly:

The Dome Zero is powered by a Nissan/Datsun 2.8 Straight 6 making 162hp, but more importantly weighing 920kg.

Now if you think you saw the Dome Zero awhile ago in this thread then you would be correct as I posted this. ;)

That was just after the Mazda Kusabi race and it was making just over 350hp and well... the performance speaks for itself. :D

I'm expecting a good nights racing because at least this won't get out dragged by everything short of a VW camper van. :lol:

Oh, do me and my friend here have a bone to pick with this car.
You're GM in the early 2000s, so what do you do when one of your most iconic and long-lasting nameplates reaches its 35th Anniversary? Looking back I think we can easily say the answer wasn't, "Kill it off and replace it with a vehicle that appealed to absolutely no-one."

The Chevrolet SSR is far too heavy for anyone interested in sporty driving. It's also far too inconvenient for people that like pickups, with a bed cover that limits how much it can haul and only two seats to go around. I've previously called the Pontiac Aztek the car that summed up everything wrong with the Old GM, I may owe it an apology here. The SSR just misses the mark so badly with its gutless acceleration and Titanic-like handling.

It was bad enough that I hopped in The Bandit's Trans-Am to deliver an extra round of Coors for everyone assembled on Tuesday Night, and then decided to go ahead and run it against the SSRs. However, running a far better car against them created its own problem, as I found myself frequently faced with 8 tons of rolling roadblock in front of me.

Once I managed to get in front though, the Pontiac Trans-Am left them in the dust like they had a semi-trailer's load of beer stuffed in their beds. And then Baron pitted his Z in exchange for a couple Molsons to let me inherit the win.

The Chevrolet SSR was a massive Beater, to the point where I'm amazed GM hasn't asked for it to be removed from the Gran Turismo series entirely. Seriously, ditch this thing and gives us some more generations of Camaros and Firebirds, pretty please?

Smoking with The Bandit.

While you're at it, PD, how bout getting some proper grunty sounds for your cars?! :mad: Just bought and drove the BMW VGT, couldn't stand it because it sounded like a bloody hoover! :grumpy:
That's why I love to hear my tunes on GT6 while driving lol

Edit: BTW?? I know we still have a long time to play on GT6??. But, when GTS arrives next year. Are we continuing this on GTS?? :confused::confused:

That's why I love to hear my tunes on GT6 while driving lol

Edit: BTW?? I know we still have a long time to play on GT6??. But, when GTS arrives next year. Are we continuing this on GTS?? :confused::confused:
No, from what I can remember when we discussed this a while back, we'll carry on using GT6 till GT7. But there will be a "Car of the Month" option for people who want to do something with GT Sport.

No, from what I can remember when we discussed this a while back, we'll carry on using GT6 till GT7. But there will be a "Car of the Month" option for people who want to do something with GT Sport.

We're also exploring the option of including Driveclub, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, and anything else that also has the same car in it. Basically, we're allowing content/opinion from everyone regardless of console/system. More the merrier.

24cQ5H1xmLV-ZoAgr-msHOvCd7mLnYXPTyazfJLJQzrwdvfEKxGLJc_aw6HL-DC5zvs4YbbzTw=w1360-h768-no

Best Lap - 2:52.196

Last edited:
Back