Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Everyone else who joins us each week knows who they are and that they too have improved as well.

I've noticed that some of our friends have suddenly gotten a lot faster. :P

Mate, if you're host, you're just going to annihilate us. We need the advantage on you!

:cheers:

I think there's a few more that we can add to that list!

I miiigght be able to make Saturday. Depends on when the race starts. (Sounds like it might be 11am, if thats true then see y'all in the virtual world!)

Since you opened your mouth and posted that, now you have to show up. Don't make us report you to the FIA for malingering and excessive hot springs exposure.

The Mazda RX-7 FC

Once again, we got behind the wheel of a car I'd never have batted an eye at beforehand. The RX-7. This sporty looking chook-cooker has evaded my garage for quite some time, so now that it's in there, what's it like?

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.jpg

Baron slightly misses the apex at Laguna Seca

I missed the racing on Tuesday because of my holiday, and with the mighty Bathurst 1000 on the Sunday, I was fully expecting to miss that racing, too. :(
Thankfully, the race didn't start until 1pm, so I made that session. And I'm so glad I did! We had a great turnout (7 drivers at the least, 11 at the most), and some close, fast action! I myself had some amazing battles, but the most notable one has to be the Tsukuba Showdown...

Tsukuba Circuit_12.jpg

Nismonath5 vs G_Asher!!! (Or @Draggon as he's known here)

Off the line, Ash had the jump. He made a clean bolt for it while I had to navigate the few cars between us. I realised during these early laps that for some reason I had no TCS. Normally I run 1 TCS, no ASM during the races, but instead I had 0 TCS, no ASM. So I had to be a bit nicer on the throttle, especially around hairpins, of which Tsukuba has three. Still, somehow despite my rather careful driving, I managed to pull back the seconds, split by split, until I was knocking on his bumper again. Catching up was the easy part, but actually braking past him was another. Ash's defense was solid, and he kept his car stable even through all the pressure I was putting on him. Eventually, on the fourth lap, I broke by...

Tsukuba Circuit_8.jpg

The winning move

The loss of the lead must have shaken Ash, as he started making some mistakes, though thankfully the race was over shortly after, so he didn't fall too far back...

Tsukuba Circuit_9.jpg

And Ash smacks the wall!

But really, great race mate!! :cheers:
Now, some COTW regulars might have two questions...
1. Where was Baron in all this???
2. Where was VIC in all this?!?!?!

Well, Baron was sitting quite comfortably in the middle of the pack...

Tsukuba Circuit_11.jpg

"Hmm, what a pleasant day for a Sunday drive..."

...and Vic wasn't even really racing, he was pulling some flashy slides! *CUE DRIFT PIC MONTAGE*

Tsukuba Circuit.jpg
Tsukuba Circuit_1.jpg
Tsukuba Circuit_4.jpg
Tsukuba Circuit_5.jpg
Tsukuba Circuit_6.jpg

So what do I think of the FC RX-7?
Well, it's cheap, RWD and Japanese. That's three ticks in my books. It suffers from the ususal rotary curses. Low torque, bad fuel economy and (in real life), relatively short life. It's also let down by being on CS tyres, but the handling is still remarkably on point considering this lack of grip. It feels very predictable, you can often tell when the rear's going to swing out or when you're going to understeer terribly. And it's this sort of characteristic that I love in a car, as it usually compells a driver to take more risks in it, because they know how the car will respond.
It's a sleeper. 👍

The rest of my pics from Saturday!!!

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_1.jpg
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_3.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_11.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_13.jpg
Tsukuba Circuit_3.jpg
Tsukuba Circuit_10.jpg

As far as the next car, @Soyuz 77 had the choice, but Brad hasn't announced it. I'm assuming he's still busy or something, so hopefully he'll let us know soon. (Or Soyuz, inbox me with your picks for car and TT track and I'll sort it out.)

The Sunny Shadow...

Usicaev.jpg

Well, last week's victim, the RX-7 GTX turned out to be a really good car that provided some great racing! Both days had highlights that will be remembered, with close racing from multiple people no matter where they were in the field.

For my style of driving, the stock version had a touch too much camber and toe for my liking... but it didn't take away from my enjoying the car itself. I've been a fan of the RX-7 for decades, so much so I owned one in real life... but it wasn't this one. I had an older model tbh. The model itself, no matter which generation, has given a lifetime of above average performance, punching well beyond it's class to rival cars of what should have been no contest... these were cars to make a legend out of an everyday sports car that most anyone could afford.

As usual, we had some comparison cars to see how the RX-7 would do... and with that, I can't really see too many people calling her a beater. It's a legendary model that helped the world to take notice of an entire brand, let alone JDM manufacturers as a whole. Sleeper and a Keeper vote from me, as it should be.

Cheers

I'd see no harm in it, @Obelisk but of course, being McD's brain child, you'd better get the green light from him...

Anyways, McD's... somewhere. From the sounds of it, fate intervened again and he's probably hibernating...
but Congratulations @Soyuz 77!!!!

What have you got for us, mate?

renault-clio-rs_320.jpg

The 2011 Renault Clio R.S!!!

Also, Happy Birthday @McClarenDesign!!! His birthday also falls on a #GranTurismoTuesday this year! :sly::):D (I know it's not Oct 11 yet in the states, but it is over here in Kiwi land)

Edit: just realised I forgot about the TT event. I'll sort it out when I get home, this week it shall take place at Trial Mountain Reverse!

Last edited:
I'd see no harm in it, @Obelisk but of course, being McD's brain child, you'd better get the green light from him...

Anyways, McD's... somewhere. From the sounds of it, fate intervened again and he's probably hibernating...
but Congratulations @Soyuz 77!!!!

What have you got for us, mate?

The 2011 Renault Clio R.S!!!

Also, Happy Birthday @McClarenDesign!!! His birthday also falls on a #GranTurismoTuesday this year! :sly::):D (I know it's not Oct 11 yet in the states, but it is over here in Kiwi land)

Edit: just realised I forgot about the TT event. I'll sort it out when I get home, this week it shall take place at Trial Mountain Reverse!

Thank you!

However, this would've been a better pic...

maxresdefault.jpg

TTs will resume next week.

Well guys, I thought I'd do a quick review of cars in recent weeks.

Rocket: What a joy it was to ride this filly!! Great balance through the turns, and it egged you on to push faster through the turns, and later into the braking zones. WOOHOO! Sleeper like fer sher!

SLR McClaren: Based on your various reviews, we're all in agreement on the hefty nature of this beast. Braking was slow, and cornering had to be done slower than expected - probably because the previous week's car was the complete opposite! This is part of what I love about car of the week - the opportunity to drive such different cars and in some cases back to back! Given this heifer's price, good looks, and lack of performance, my verdict is: garage queen! (might be fun for slow/comfortable mountain cruising)

Mazda RX7 FC: It was refreshing to drive a lighter car again. :) The RX7 displayed great balance through turns, very forgiving as well with easily controllable oversteer. There was some great racing on Tues night especially a 4 way battle at suzuka for 3rd place with shuffling of possition every 1/2 lap or so - I quite enjoyed that replay, and all made possible by: predictably handling car, great COTW drivers, and of course AGS :P. The RX7 earns a well deserved Sleeper rating for its balance and driving enjoyment!

Note for MCD: The Rocket is missing from the master list on page 1 of this thread.

After a good burst of racing with you guys (and that anti-climatic showdown with the troll) I can give my verdict for the current car.

So, the Clio. Not the mid-engined 24v that was so scary. Just a hot hatch. It handled pretty good, but due to my rustiness, I got lost in understeer city. I'll give the car a Neutral.

and that anti-climatic showdown with the troll
For anyone who wasn't there and missed it...

A driver joined the lobby claiming to be a newbie to GT6 (Can't remember his exact name, but I called him Jezza). Fair enough, he sat and watched our race at Cape Ring. Shortly after, @Baron Blitz Red left due to internet issues. Jezza then started talking smack about Baron. Why? Who even knows! Regardless of his reasons, many of the other COTWers defended Baron, but @Obelisk in particular didn't take this too lightly and demanded Jezza to come on to the track, and he'd "Show you what a real COTW driver can do!" The rest of us grabbed the popcorn and watched on to see what was gonna go down.
3920a3f6-b1ed-402e-b55f-d182c0e97932 (1).gif

Vic set the stage at Bathurst, and Jezza demanded that the race be in Ferrari F50s... yeah, right!

So anyways, Vic, being the host, turned off all restrictions, and Obelisk said that he'd match the PP of whatever Jezza came out with. But Jezza waffled on and on about how he was great and all that, (about 15 minutes of back and forth blabbling), then said he'd spectate, at which point we all thought "Screw this" and kicked him out, carrying on with the races as normal..

Soooo, yeah. That happened!

(Obelisk don't worry, your DeLorean pics are coming! I'll do my photography tomorrow..)

Last edited:
The 2011 Sport Clio. A car performing... In my hands it's about 7 seconds! faster on the Nordschleife (CS tires, aids off, ABS 0) than last weeks RX-7 which has about the same BHP and weight. So stable, so predictable. feels like almost being a mid engine in how it tackles turns. pushing it over the edge and there is the FF oversteer of course but if you can keep the car within its limits it's a true joy! A sleeper to me!!

Hey hey people...

Just wanted to say sorry if I was hitting cars during the races... as previously stated by @Nismonath5 , my connection was failing to say the least.

At the Midfield race, I guess there were a few players I just didn't see on track. After leaving said room and rejoining, I at least saw the 11 in the race but both @Vic Reign93 and @Draggon appeared to be zipping ahead and then behind me too much to take. The last straw was when I got hit by a car that wasn't even there. :lol:

Sounds like things got interesting after that...

Thanks to all for being understanding let alone supportive. Just another reason among the numerous reasons I truly enjoy our time on the track.

Thank you and Cheers to all!!!

I like this car (from past use), but then I like most FF hatchbacks. Really wish I could join in with everyone, but life is work work work at the moment, it will probably be another 3 - 4 weeks before I get to take part in CoTW again.

Meanwhile I'll share a glitch I had with this Clio in GT6's early days, I ended up with a lot more weight reduction than I anticipated!

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_57_zpscea35579.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_34_zps9592264e.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_37_zps252ebbed.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_4_zps7a6a32fa.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_59_zpse82e0fe0.jpg

I like this car (from past use), but then I like most FF hatchbacks. Really wish I could join in with everyone, but life is work work work at the moment, it will probably be another 3 - 4 weeks before I get to take part in CoTW again.

Meanwhile I'll share a glitch I had with this Clio in GT6's early days, I ended up with a lot more weight reduction than I anticipated!

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_57_zpscea35579.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_34_zps9592264e.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_37_zps252ebbed.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_4_zps7a6a32fa.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_59_zpse82e0fe0.jpg
Absolute hardcore weight reduction. Yo. Was your Clio down to 1000 lbs?

oh must be a preview of the VISION Renault Sport? with interior view!! :)

Latest Posts

Back