Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Rippin' Renault....
London_1.jpg

The horrible London traffic doesn't bother Baron!

If I'm in a conversation with someone and the word "Clio" comes up, I immediately think of the 2nd generation one. Not neccesarily the flame spitting MR V6, but just that shape, boxy but with smooth curves... you know the one! So when I got GT6 and saw this thing in the Renault dealership, I thought it was rather ugly. It looks more Megane-ish than Clio-ish, and I pretty much shunned it because of it didn't appeal to me, visually. I really oughta stop doing that....
Regardless of my stylistic preferences, I got one for this week's racing. And it's brilliant! Here's why....

Firstly: Straight line performace

While certainly not a drag racer in any way, the Clio has enough "Get-up-and-go" to surprise the bloke who's racing in a Pontiac GTO or a Lotus Europa.

Tsukuba Circuit_4.jpg

Orange/yellows and greens were the main colour choice this week

Secondly: Handling and manouverability
It's an FF hatchback. So understeer is expected. However it was only really a problem when I had 0 TCS and the standard CS tyres. It would fight me when I tried to navigate it through corners with a solid pace, however adding just 1 TCS fixed this problem. With the TCS, I could actually throw it into corners with confidence. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I found this Clio easier to drive in first person than other cars. Usually I only ever race first person if I'm driving for fun, or just messing about, but this week I found myself in car for a few real races, and actually being able to remain competitive too!

Tsukuba Circuit_1.jpg

Savage got away for a relatively easy win at Tsukuba!

Thirdly: Power and weight
The 2 litre 4 banger doesn't put out supercar-rivalling power. 210bhp doesn't sound like too much, but in the Clio it felt like a lot more! I remember looking at the speed while racing at MidField, and the number was going up way faster than I was expecting! I think the most impressive thing about the Clio's powerplant is that it's not turboed, but it feels like it! As for the weight, it's no featherweight, but it's slim and small enough to be quite the side-stepper. It can quite comfortably dart from one side of the track to another, great for avoiding crashes or stopped drivers! With CS tyres and no TCS, it smokes the tyres off the line, and will be a bit angrier to drive fast. This was easily remedied by simply putting 1 TCS onto it. That kills the wheelspin launch, and tames it through the corners wile still allowing you to slide without drifting.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_1.jpg

Savage bumps off Ash

This week wasn't my best as far as race results. I got a few 2nd's, but on Saturday I was super tired and it was noticable in my driving, on the first race I completely missed the braking marker and straight-lined Vic. During this week's racing, I also noticed some improvement among relative newcomers. ChipGTR won his first race, and so did Savage787BR92CP! Good to see some fresh talent still coming into the club!

The Clio has a cool little easter egg on it. If you use the wipers on it, the rear window wiper will work also, which serves no performance advantage or gain whatsoever, but hey it's a little secret!

High Speed Ring.jpg

Chip and Master Ed chase down Ash

I still don't entirely like the looks of this Clio, but it's driving appeal outweighs that! It's definately a sleeper. Just over 400pp and it's as much fun to drive as a 600pp Touring car! It's cheap, meaning it's more likely to fall into the ownership of a newer GT driver, and for that reason I see it's role in GT6 as a racecraft refiner, a car you tune, thrash and wring it's neck all in the name of learning how to be a better driver!

Hey, COTW Madhouse! I wanted to ask you guys and especially @McClarenDesign if it's OK for me to make a Horizon 3 branch for COTW?

On the Forza forums? No, fantastic idea, enjoy the upkeep but thank you for the service.

On the GTP forums? Yes, as I'd like to keep the discussion centralized per site, so even with other games like AC/Pcars/Dclub/ETC, if it'll cross platforms just keep the discussion here and post as needed.

That's because you're a traitor and a member of the Rebel Alliance. I blew up your home planet, so 1. you're no longer technically a princess anymore, and 2. now we're even.

Congratulations MightyL! You've been selected for jury duty!

Great, thanks! I ll get to it tomorrow!!

Said no World Champion, ever...

CNV00011.jpg

It's the 1994 TVR Griffith 500!!!

For simplicity, my thoughts and views can be found here:

Breast cancer awareness month, so for this time trial all bras are banned for the week. TTs are back!

Soooooooooooo British, sooooooooooo Fancy!

Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself as I recently joined this club.
I got GT6 a couple weeks ago and decided to try to find some people to play with online and I happened to stumble upon this club which still hosts events pretty often apparently.
I live in Europe so the Tuesday nights are definitely a no-no for me but I should be able to make it on saturdays if my time zone calculations are correct. :P
I'm occasionally online throughout the week as well, especially fridays and wednesdays (day off).

Why did I only get GT6 now you may wonder? Well GT5 was my first game when I got my PS3 about 3-4 years ago and while I didn't like it a lot then, for some reason I suddenly had the urge to get back to racing games a couple months ago and found that I have massively improved since last time I played it as one would naturally expect. Pretty much finished A-spec and the Special events but I wanted more! And so here I am. Still not completely familiar with the improved physics but even if I was I'm far from being such an amazing driver!

What caught my attention about this club? Well, for once it's still very active and saturday events suit me, on the other hand I like that you race in the same vehicles, makes it quite fair for everyone and it should mean some quite close and exciting races! Not that there's anything wrong with racing in different vehicles, of course not, I'm open to anything really. Did I mention I like taking pics too?

Now I believe my PSN should be below my boring default avatar, but if it isn't my PSN is: Braulioaej2
Anyone from here I should add to my friends list? Feel free to add me too, would be nice if you at least identified yourself in the request tho. :cheers:

Pay no attention to our time at the beach, we were sightseeing! Jesting aside, Savage and I had a great battle at Laguna even though it was for 3rd place. I got some great drive off the last corner and pulled ahead at the finish by only inches.
:P

I don't remember a lot about Tuesday's races so wasn't expecting much. As Saturday wore on I found myself starting to enjoy this little thing. Of course it has a lot of wheelspin, but as @Nismonath5 pointed out, TC1 fixed that. I'm impressed by the ability it has to be thrown into a corner and go where its pointed, even on CS tires. I even spent some time yesterday running it around in arcade mode completely stock. Lots of fun, and that's what a video game is about.

Verdict: sleeper 👍

P.S. I like the Griffith.

Sorry but what's with the Time Trials? How does this work? Where to find the needed information?
Welcome to the cozy little family!!!
Our time trials are simple. You got ten minutes to set your top lap. We run our cars stock with only an oil change, and whatever tyres the car came on. It's the same for the live races.

This vid should show you how to join in

Last edited:

So, to begin my first review since my vacation, I'll give credit for the selector to going against the trend and actually choosing a Premium version of the Mazda RX-7 FC for us to review. Good on you! That said, having driven the RX-7 FD version on a number of the occasions, driving the FC felt a bit like taking a step back. The handling, power, and styling aren't bad by themselves but the FD RX-7s are better in pretty much every measure.

That's not to say the FC is a bad car at all. Challenged by the newer but similar Subaru BRZ, it felt like while the Mazda had less lateral grip in the corners, the RX-7 FC had better acceleration that resulted in a very even match on the pavement of Ascari.

Vic, as usual, crushing the hopes and dreams of a mere mortal despite being on less grippy tires.

And I was fortunate to hold on to Second Place against Baron and his Mazda Demio 2099.
Final thoughts then, the FC RX-7 isn't a spectacular car, it's not a Beater nor Sleeper, but it's a very good car for what it is. It ranks right up there with S13 Silvias and Miatas for newbies who are just starting to dip their toes in the pool of rear-wheel drive cars.

Now now... there's obviously some confusion, so let's dispel some myths here. There are 2 girls with very close names. Mine and the one you're referring to. She might not be a princess anymore, but my present muse, Princess LayYa Orgasm'ahhh the Great, is. We share the throne equally, as LayYa doesn't ride my coat tails, she rides other things. And while your former princess left you hanging and your "lightsaber" blue, my Princess actually knows what's she's doing to get mine red.

She's also a really good "cook", and not only does she let me have her cake, I get to eat it too... ;). So yes, your lack of cake is disturbing. In oh so many ways. :lol:

I'll just go back to my personal swept wing TIE fighter now, and get back to Imperial matters... you may go back to your "business at hand" as usual.

Cheers
Oh, lord. You just made me corpse while doing my homework. Now my mom is looking at me like I have two heads.

I won't even make an attempt at understanding all that, @Baron Blitz Red. Your imagination is far too good for that sort of thing, that darn Canadian imagination... How did you hone that? :lol:

As for the Grif, it couldn't be more different from the Clio even if it didn't try to do so. They both have two doors, an engine in the front, aaaand that's about it. There might be a modern link between the old Grif and the rekindled British TVR Revival; rumors do mention that the Griffith name could be used for the brand's future model, so the new owners do know their TVRs...

But that aside, you know how it's going to go; lightweight, plenty of Rover grunt, but also plenty of chances to lost grip mid-corner and slide all the way into the grass/gravel/wall. Treat the TVR with car. It's not a tip, it's a downright order... from the car, that is.

*looks at last few posts*

Well it's good to know that the Madhouse hasn't completely imploded, but between Jacks hopes and momentum getting Buried (wrestling term for ya @Niku Driver HC :sly:) by me and Baron and MC getting into a possible "Lightsaber" measuring and swinging contest ( you're welcome for that image. :lol:), it's not far off. :D

But before I end up a month behind on reviews, let's start with the two cars that can have you seeing double. ;)

The Mercedes Mclaren SLR '09 and '03.

Yep, it's the standard and premium dilemma again, but in this case it's an odd one.

For starters, The "09 model is the Premium model and the '03 is the Standard model, but it's NOT the one from GT4, but is in fact from GT PSP.

The giveaway is the optional Red paint chip when at the dealership, the Red paint version was a DLC car on the Euro version of the game. ;)

As for other differences, the '09 version has the optional wheels, has 1 more hp stock ( although that evens out to the same as the '03 after the oil change.) and is cheaper than the '03 version at 598,500Cr to the latter's 610,000Cr's. :crazy:

Both weigh the same at over 1 and 3/4 tons or 1,768kgs and are more than capable of running well over 200mph.

Handling is a tricky one to summarise so let me explain in a different way.. (Disclaimer: the following is just my speculation.)

McLaren wanted the SLR to be aggressive and light hence the construction of the SLR heavily involved CFRP or Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastics to try and keep the weight down.

Mercedes on the other hand wanted it to be more comfortable, hence the empashis on luxury and the heavy automatic gearbox (which was chosen for durability and simplicity reasons.)

It's often described as a Grand Tourer despite its supercar power and top speed because of its Front-Mid engined layout and gearbox among other things.

And among those other things is the suspension which is quite soft and does lend abit towards the cars tendency to understeer in the turns and over 620hp lends towards the potential oversteer.

The 5 speed gearbox also has quite long ratios with speeds over 200mph possible in 4th gear. :eek:

Now the car(s) aren't terrible, but they are very expensive especially compared to road cars with similar power figures.

The Ferrari 599 only costs 320,300cr and has just over 610hp and weighs 1,580 kgs and cars like the SRT Viper GTS's and the Chevy Corvette ZR1 are more powerful, lighter and MUCH cheaper with none of those examples breaking 200k Credits.

With both being priced into Beater street, the Standard falls harder due to its higher price.

Verdict(s): Beater(s) 👎👎

From Blower motors to Blown Apex Seals and another case of seeing double. :lol:

The 1990 Mazda RX7 FC GT-X.

Both are built in the same year, both cost exactly the same this time, both have the same power and weight, but the Standard 'J model which I assume means a Japan spec model has 1pp more than the premium RX7 which again is cancelled out when both cars have had the oil changed. :P

With around 210hp after the oil change and weighing a healthy 1,250kgs, the RX7's are good beginners cars into the world of going sideways with smooth power delivery and a good weight distribution. ;)

Despite being given CS tyres as standard, it gives decent levels of grip and is good fun to drive.

As Jack said, it isn't spectacular, but what it does it does well and not more can be said about it.

It's a good Neutral car and between the Standard and Premium versions, you could flip a coin on it to decide which you pick, unless you dislike non-premium cars of course. :D

Verdict(s): Neutral(s) :)

Last, but not least and completing the trifecta of engine aspirations...(Supercharged,Turbo'd and N/A)

The Renault Sport Clio R.S. '11.

Packing a non turbo 2 litre Straight 4 making 200hp, the 1,240kg Clio sends its power to the front via a 6 speed manual gearbox.

It's also the last Clio R.S IIRC to have a N/A motor and Manual gearbox as the next one had a turbo motor and a dual clutch gearbox.

It accelerated quite well for the power, but it's obvious strong point was handling.

With a 53-47 (IIRC) weight distribution and set up by the people at RenaultSport, it handled like a charm despite CS tyres stocks and when equipped with SH tyres at Sierra, it was an absolute hoot to drive. :D

Even when we gave it nearly 500hp on Saturday and Sports Softs, it still felt manageable and fun to drive.

Even though it's more expensive than two of its main FF rivals, the 2011 Mini Cooper S and the '05 VW Golf GTI, I would bet that the Clio R.S. would more than justify the difference in price. :P

The first car every GT6'er drives turns out to be quite the gem.

Verdict: Sleeper :)👍

And this week will be again something different.

A soft top British V8 Sports car + one whole month of getting something different each week. :D:lol:

Now now... there's obviously some confusion, so let's dispel some myths here. There are 2 girls with very close names. Mine and the one you're referring to. She might not be a princess anymore, but my present muse, Princess LayYa Orgasm'ahhh the Great, is. We share the throne equally, as LayYa doesn't ride my coat tails, she rides other things. And while your former princess left you hanging and your "lightsaber" blue, my Princess actually knows what's she's doing to get mine red.

She's also a really good "cook", and not only does she let me have her cake, I get to eat it too... ;). So yes, your lack of cake is disturbing. In oh so many ways. :lol:

I'll just go back to my personal swept wing TIE fighter now, and get back to Imperial matters... you may go back to your "business at hand" as usual.

Cheers

Oh my.

Ya, I should probably apologise for my last post...

I was trying to be funny with the added twist of a Star Wars theme along with some out of left field shock jock humour. At the time I thought it would work, but maybe it didn't. Sorry people.

Cheers

Ya, I should probably apologise for my last post...

I was trying to be funny with the added twist of a Star Wars theme along with some out of left field shock jock humour. At the time I thought it would work, but maybe it didn't. Sorry people.

Cheers

Believe me, it was some solid Canadian crafted humour, unless you were asked to retract it you've got nothing to apologise about. :lol::D

Funny thing is the Griffith is now 22 years old, but when I first played GT1 it was only 4 years old :nervous: I'm getting old :scared:

The scariest part is that the Grif is only a single year younger than me. Me and the TVR were kindred spirits before I even knew about TVRs, who would've thought? :crazy: :lol: And we could very well see the Grif in GTS unless PD screws up something fierce, because it is a Premium model and can definitely work as a racing car...

Welp, I don't think the Griffith likes me...

In fact, I don't think TVR at all likes me!!! :lol:

It was difficult to handle, temperamental at best, and it completely fought against my driving style. Even without the lobby issues we had (I took it for a drive offline just now), it wrestled with me on corners I usually wrestle with anyway! It's not built for late braking, aggressive race lines and everything I'm used to doing. :crazy:

That's not to say it's a bad car. It's just not for me. But still, bring on Saturday! :P

Welp, I don't think the Griffith likes me...

In fact, I don't think TVR at all likes me!!! :lol:

It was difficult to handle, temperamental at best, and it completely fought against my driving style. Even without the lobby issues we had (I took it for a drive offline just now), it wrestled with me on corners I usually wrestle with anyway! It's not built for late braking, aggressive race lines and everything I'm used to doing. :crazy:

That's not to say it's a bad car. It's just not for me. But still, bring on Saturday! :P
I felt pretty much the same way. I tried the time trial event and ended up a full 2 seconds behind everyone else then (I use a DS3 though).
It understeered quite a bit unlike I expected, I thought TVRs were crazy slidey cars!
Also, are spoilers and such allowed in the time trials and the saturday+tuesday events? I'm assuming they're not.

Yep, understeer and lousy brakes. Not a whole lot of grip. It fought me, too. I had the best success when I braked early and held to my line and didn't try to get too aggressive. It definitely does not like to be thrown into corners. Although I didn't get any wins last night, I wasn't last either and had a several podiums. Right now I'll call it "meh". It's just too much work to drive it fast. I'll have a final verdict Saturday.

However, tuned up, it's beastly nature is transformed!

@Braulioaej if you can, why don't you join us for the races this Saturday at 1pm PST. 👍

Last edited:
Yes, I was planning on joining this saturday. Are you sure it's 1pm PST? That's 9pm here, I swear I thought saturday events were at 8pm. It'll be a bit complicated, I can't confirm I'll be there for the whole thing, luckily this 30th october the clock will go back one hour (you know, daylight saving time).

Also a bit of a rant here, but I just did the MR Challenge from a-spec today, I'd like to know who was the genius at PD that thought spawning opponents above the PP limit at the front of the grid was a good idea.

Also a bit of a rant here, but I just did the MR Challenge from a-spec today, I'd like to know who was the genius at PD that thought spawning opponents above the PP limit at the front of the grid was a good idea.
Superior car, inferior hands, no worries?
An upside to using tables (presumably) for the opponent cars, instead of getting them dynamically by constraints, is that they must have been play-tested. Not all the combinations, but each top contender, easily.

Maybe there was a time, before release, when the car wasn't over the limit.

Last edited:
about the griffith. it's all about style. that's how it was conceived. it's about the door handles worked in the body. it's about placing the fuel filler cap in the boot. it's about enjoying the mighty V8 under 2500rpm. driving through beautiful scenery and sunday morning little villages, showing off... love it!
if some madmen still want to find the limits of that meaty engine in the slender smooth body, you actually notice there are no limits to be found. the limits are everywhere and nowhere. very hard to define. driving it on the limit is still about refined control. braking in time. yes braking well in time than putting it where you want it to but not too early. not too early because flooring the pedal almost lifts the car up. that car drives like it looks. it's all about style...

Back