Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Well even though PSN has been giving some major troubles with trying to race online with the COTW crew for the past couple of days, I've raced enough to come up with a conclusion.

In it's stock form, it's a Beater for me. Yes it got me a win in the Amateur Seasonal race totally stock. But up against the crew, it turned into a dog for me. I can see the potential for it, tuned, but as it stands from the dealership, not my cup of tea.

I tried some offline races with the posted tunes here in this thread (thanks people) and ya, it does have potential. So it will stay in the garage. Thanks for bringing it to the limelight, cause I would have ignored it totally as I have in every Gran Turismo so far.

Cheers

"Better than the Vectra" - COTW 2015 :lol:

The Vectra isn't getting picked on, it's getting absolutely hammered. :P;)

Anyways..

1300 Problems But Dullness Ain't One.

The 1970 Honda 1300 Coupe S is on the face of it, pretty basic.

It's front wheel drive, it has a small 4 cylinder motor sending power through a 4 speed gearbox.

But that's not doing the 1300 Coupe any credit, it is quite interesting regarding its engine.

Mr Soichiro Honda wanted the engine to be Air Cooled, not Water Cooled and he argued, "Since Water Cooled engines eventually use air to cool the water, We can implement Air Cooling from the very beginning."

So how to draw extra cold air around the engine?

By attaching a fan to the cars flywheel to pull in fresh cold air, which after it got warmed up by cooling the engine and removed by another fan, it was used alongside hot air from around the exhaust manifold to warm up the passenger compartment.

The fans got the label, DDAC or Duo Dyna Air Cooling which was a novel concept which wasn't used as common afterward, but the electrical fuel pump the car had would be.

However it's design made it heavier than a normal Air Cooled engine and you couldn't sit on the bonnet after a spirited drive unless you liked getting a very warm reception on your backside. :D

So what's it like to drive?
Well it's actually good fun to drive, it's not incredibly nose heavy at a 54-46 split on weight distribution, it likes to be revved to the redline and the 4 speed gearbox isn't hopelessly short or snooze inducing long like you would expect.

Of course I would like to tell you about how it does against other 1300's, but I'm afraid the ghost of COTW and 'Problem #1', Ted Thomas decided to pay a visit and let's just say he wasn't here on a social call. :rolleyes::mad:

If you judge the car at face value, you miss quite the interesting facts about its creation and it's engine.

I do have to with a heavy heart, call it a Beater all things considered.

Whilst it's not a bad car, There's a good number of cars which can outrun the 1300 and could even undercut it on price.

But like I said at the start, it's got problems, but dullness isn't one of them. :)

Verdict: Beater 👎 ( But still better than a Vectra :D:sly:)

Completely slipped my mind to do a full review, but to me it's a beater.

Yeah it was pretty nice to drive and not that boring, but it wasn't that much fun. Maybe there is something else to it, I haven't had much seat time in it.

Congratulations Niko Hulkenberg!!!

So, we've already done RUF, so thank Porsche for not being included in GT6. Instead, we'll celebrate with another legend that will be in next year's race...

hot_babe_and_ford_gt-1680x1050-Vers.jpg

It's the 2005 Ford GT!

That's right, time to throw everything at defeating Enzo. Who's ready to Go Like Hell?

Well, if anything, we can also complain that Forza has gotten the new GT before us Gran Turismo fans, sadly. And this GT wasn't so sucessful on the racetrack as its legendary older brother... But at least we can avoid the same sort of mechanical problems that a certain man named Jeremy had, when he was once the proud owner of a GT.

Twice proud owner and most of his issues came from a badly fit aftermarket alarm if I recall correctly. :D

The GT is quite something, it shares the same engine ( albeit upgraded in power) with a former COTW contender, the Ford SVT Lightning. :crazy:

A heavily tuned GT ran well over 260mph in a standing mile event a few years ago.:eek:

A privateer run Ford GT ran in 2011 and got 3rd in its GTE-Am class. 👍

A GT was even run in Super GT's GT300 class in 2006 and 2007 and was powered not by its 5.4 SC V8, but by a 3.5 Cosworth V8 used in the mid-nighties in F1. :drool:

It's time to see if the 21st century version of a car that was built purely out of revenge to beat Ferrari can stack up to its biggest challenge yet, one night of racing in the hands of the COTW crew. :lol:;)

Ford GT '05
5.4L
550 hp / 6,500 rpm
501 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,451 kg (3,199 lbs)
571 pp

There are two other MR cars with even bigger V8s, also putting out ~550 horses...

Saleen S7 '02
7.0L
550 hp / 6,500 rpm
527 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,250 kg (2,756 lbs)
564 pp

Pagani Zonda C12S '00
7.0L
543 hp / 5,500 rpm
553 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,350 kg (2,976 lbs)
565 pp

(I still haven't tested the Ferrari 458 Italia '09 but that car is a bit too modern for this battle anyway, and the F430 Scuderia is almost a second slower than the slowest car here. The Pagani Zonda C12S 7.3 is very expensive, but really I'm just too scared to test that car. It's no doubt faster than the Ford.)

Interesting that the Saleen and Pagani have fewer Performance Points than the Ford.

At Mid-Field on Comfort Soft tires, the Ford and Pagani are able to run to 170 mph, while the Saleen squirts to 173 mph.

The Saleen, being so damn light and powerful, is painful to drive. It reminds me of the Yellowbird in the way that it requires every single brain cell to avoid having a crash or a slow lap. A better driver than me might find the Saleen S7 and Pagani Zonda C12S to be faster than the Ford GT, but such was not the case for me.

The Ford weighs a good amount, and, while it can and will put you on your ass if you're not careful, it doesn't do it on purpose like the Saleen and Pagani do. The Ford works with you, not against you. It wants you to succeed. It wants you to be the best you can be. It's one of the greatest MR cars ever made. Dare I say I like it more than the NSX Type R? If I had either car, I'd wish I had the other. I'd need both.

Cars within +/- half a second:

1:14.905 - 555 - KTM X-Bow R '12
1:15.210 - 583 - Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 '11
1:15.406 - 571 - Ford GT '05
1:15.918 - 546 - Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 '08
1:15.926 - 564 - Saleen S7 '02
1:16.109 - 565 - Pagani Zonda C12S '00

Last edited:
I believe at one time he owned 3.

No wonder he made it GT4's personal cover car. And don't forget the very good racing versions; when it comes to 600 PP racing, very few cars can match the Ford GT LM Race Car. I mean the silver, black-striped car with the number 4 and a big rear wing GT LM, while that is a Standard car, it's a blast to drive...

Last edited:
Does anyone notice a FPS difference from past videos?

Well they are uploading at 60fps now. Was your last method of video capture only 30fps before? As that's what the uploads were. Did you also swap from Interlaced to Progressive?

The difference between 30-60fps has always been night and day to me, it's a shame Youtube doesn't support 60fps above 1080p otherwise I'd be uploading a 4K/60 video later in this post.

Seeing as we're talking about GT's at Seattle.. :)

I miss it too

Yeesh. I know GT3/GT4 only ran at 480p, but the bitrate on those videos are nasty. Since you guys are posting Seattle videos, I thought I'd boot up the Emulator and record a slow lap around Seattle rendered at 4K resolution, with some Anti Aliasing, 16xAF and Re-shading injected in so the old track can be seen in much better detail. Numb nuts here forgot to change some compatability settings from another game though, so there was a bit of texture and post processing glitching. Enjoy GT4 looking much more crisp than GT6 :lol:

Well, since when did this become the "Beater, Sleeper or Video Of The Week" thread? Now everyone is posting videos left and right... What about written reviews, eh guys? Texts also can be used here, you know... :lol:

And despite the many criticisms, I still believe that the new GT is deserving of much praise. The car functions properly, looks good enough and it'll be a proper supercar all things considered (not saying that the older GT wasn't a supercar itself, mind you). Not to mention that it will be a part of Le Mans, which is more than what can be said about its predecessor... So it doesn't have a V8, yes. But you know how marketing works, correct? Then you should know what propelled Ford to use an Ecoboost engine for their car. ;)

Last edited:
I like the new one... and because I own on multiple platforms I might drive it in FM6. The problem is the front lights.... they are horrible. Back to the old one. It will beat most cars from the period and its premium. Anything else wanted?

Back