Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

If I'm using the correct source, it's the period between 3:30 and 8:30 PM around your end of the woods. Although I may only be able to stay until 8:00 PM (this being your local time, not mine), depending on my parents noticing me or not.

I'll do what I can, but during those times I'm not sure if I'll be able to host. The PSN doesn't appreciate stacked routers.

I've been following Petrolicious since the beginning. The perfect replacement to Top Gear.

I'll do what I can, but during those times I'm not sure if I'll be able to host. The PSN doesn't appreciate stacked routers.

I've been following Petrolicious since the beginning. The perfect replacement to Top Gear.

Well, be sure to give me a "call", so to speak, when (and if) you can host a room during those times. I am trying to play GT6 online a bit more, but it seems that the general negativity surrounding the game is putting many proper players off from hosting lobbies with decent driving standards. If PSN can avoid being a b:censored:h during those times, it would be very helpful for both of us.

Also, I need to check that Quattro video out, to see how good this "Petrolicious" biz really is... 💡

Well, be sure to give me a "call", so to speak, when (and if) you can host a room during those times. I am trying to play GT6 online a bit more, but it seems that the general negativity surrounding the game is putting many proper players off from hosting lobbies with decent driving standards. If PSN can avoid being a b:censored:h during those times, it would be very helpful for both of us.

Gonna hop on now for a little bit, but I'll have to help with groceries when my wife gets home. I'll have a room up by 3:50p (CST here), so message me on the PSN or send me a friend request.

As usual, anyone else is welcome to join.

Gonna hop on now for a little bit, but I'll have to help with groceries when my wife gets home. I'll have a room up by 3:50p (CST here), so message me on the PSN or send me a friend request.

As usual, anyone else is welcome to join.

8:50 PM 'round these parts... Ok, that's doable. Also, didn't I send you a Friend Request a while back? Just wondering about that. And what cars are we using?

The Ur isn't done justice in this game. With a heavy heart, I say it's a beater.

T75JAZk.jpg

uILjeWj.jpg

Well, in my mind, age has caught up to the Quattro in some ways; granted, it's not as nimble or quick on its feet like most modern cars, including those that surpassed it on rally competition, but you can't deny its legacy. It's a different kind of sleeper car...

I can respect that.

Trust. Put this side by side with a McLaren F1 and I choose the Ur. This is one of the MOST significant machines ever made in history, that we have witnessed. It deserves to be treated better in this game and I wish PD updated it when introducing the S1 rally cars.

Hey, it won't break any lap records at Midfield but, it drives nice, I can get on the throttle early to help the back ease around tight corners. Definitely doesn't drive like some AWD cars with understeer. I had to dust off the green one in my photos. It's only got 43kms!

Last edited:
Ted decided to get even with us for driving that eclipse of ..... you know what.

We should've seen it coming when BilboStig fell victim to a bout of outstandingly strong lag during the first attempt at a race, using the "Diamond POS" (as I "Kindly" named the Eclipse) in Rome. Go figure, it was a warning shot from Ted to stop what we were doing.

In the meantime, I want to thank all those who raced with me yesterday, regardless of the awkward moments that occured in some races. Most important of all, I want to thank @McClarenDesign for allowing me to join a COTW lobby at long last, after all these months being unable to join a single one due to time constraints. I hope I can join more in the future, but that will have to be aided by a time schedule I can follow...

...but that will have to be aided by a time schedule I can follow...

Funny that you should mention that...

Does anyone have 3-4 hours daily that they aren't doing anything with? At the rate of growth we're experiencing, I'm not able to do all what we're capable of, and I hate it when folks like @Niku Driver HC miss out.

Candidates should be willing to take this as seriously as I do (a tremendous ask, I know).

P.S. I'll have next week's car posted in a few hours. Running a bit behind while researching the Twitch thingy.

It's pretty amazing that COTW has grown since I first started racing with you guys. I remember joining a few of your fun and relaxed shuffle races in GT5 and finally joined COTW once I got GT6 but I've notice that almost every week we have new people join and return for the next car.

Funny that you should mention that...

Does anyone have 3-4 hours daily that they aren't doing anything with? At the rate of growth we're experiencing, I'm not able to do all what we're capable of, and I hate it when folks like @Niku Driver HC miss out.

Candidates should be willing to take this as seriously as I do (a tremendous ask, I know).

P.S. I'll have next week's car posted in a few hours. Running a bit behind while researching the Twitch thingy.

Well, I'm sure it's indeed a tough task to undertake, but I'm also sure that me and those who have to live by GMT+whatever additional hours your country may have rules would be quite grateful for said person's effort. I won't ask much more than 3 to 4 hours of open lobby racing, just enough to sink your teeth into some proper racing.

Is it a tremendous ask? Yes, it is, not gonna lie. But if most people can avoid being moving roadblocks, which I did rather well yesterday (avoiding being a roadblock, not actually being one, mind you), then the quality of COTW racing shouldn't drop all that much...

Oh, and you can also take some weight off the often unstable GT6 online lobbies, which is always helpful. By separating grids, the rooms won't have to go bonkers all the time.

Oh, and you can also take some weight off the often unstable GT6 online lobbies, which is always helpful. By separating grids, the rooms won't have to go bonkers all the time.

I'm hoping that someone will contact me that a) knows how to fix the intertubes and stuff, and b) will cater specifically to the other side of the planet (i.e. your neck of the proverbial woods) so that we can have more than one race a week. If not, no big deal, it'll just mean that things get rolled out veerrrryyyyy slowly.

Speaking of which, I sincerely apologize for the delay and thank each of you for your patience. Without further ado...

I personally did a Rally-build of the '82 quattro, and I must admit, it certainly lived up to its reputation from its heyday! I use the International B event Dirt Trials 1 (Toscana) as a proving ground for my rally builds. This will allow me to asses the car's viability against full-blown racers. My quattro consistently finished in the top three, even having close battles with the actual Group B rally quattro S1.

Congratulations Raymond_Racer!!! You've been chosen as a finalist for "So You Think You've Got Pants?"

...waitaminute...

Does it have to be one of these or can I select my own choice?

I know what you're thinking... did he rig the vote and provide a list of cars to the constant? If so, were they all crap, or just the majority? Well first you have to ask yourself "do I feel lucky?"

Well... do ya... PUNK?!?

How about the (redacted)? It's an offshoot to the Lan-Evo line of cars but I think it might be a bit overlooked.

Yeah, alright. It's the...

5ac1db8s-960.jpg

...Mitsubishi AIRTREK Turbo-R!!! Soccer moms of the 21st century rejoice!

Looks like this week is "Bring The Kids To Work" week. Better liquor up now, it's going to be a loooong commute.

....Are we there yet?

P.S. What do you guys think about this filter? With or without, thanks to DirectX 12 these are turning out much, much better than I anticipated. More are uploading now, but I probably won't be done with all of them tonight.

Well, isn't that techno upgrade improved your video-making proces... Not bad, although I can't quite say if the filter looks right or not, but maybe that's because I simply don't watch many "tuned" GT6 videos. For now, I'll say it's an improvement, and that's great. 👍 And when was that video taken? Are the ones from yesterday making an appearance as well, or is that just #wishfulthinking on my part?

Also, isn't the Airtrek a former COTW choice as well? If my memory serves me correctly, I think you have been there before... Still, I won't complain, as long as I don't have to deal with the Eclipse's horrendous understeer, I'm fine and dandy with the "Honey, I shrunk the Grandea and accidentaly put in a LanEvo's drivetrain"-mobile.

It's hard to judge this car merely as a car. After all, the racing versions of the Quattro were to rallying what the rear-engine car was to the Indianapolis 500. Just as the latter brought the reign of the front-engine roadster to a sudden end at the Brickyard, this car transformed the term "two-wheel drive rally car" into an oxymoron.

Leaving all that aside and judging the street version by itself, the road-legal Quattro is quite good. True, the 80's didn't see a lot of flashy styling, but I think the Audi has held up well to the test of time. I quite like that, while it may be hatchback, it doesn't look like one. From the front and from afar it looks like it could just as easily have four doors and a trunk rather than just two doors on the side and one in the back. Its handling on tarmac is decent, though I feel like the car really deserves to come with Sports Hards rather than just Comfort Softs. On dirt and snow however, the Quattro really felt composed and I felt confident taking it through the corners, in spite of not having a whole lot of time spent driving away from pavement.

I'm going to call this a Sleeper....at least to those who aren't familiar with this car's background.

Well, isn't that techno upgrade improved your video-making proces... Not bad, although I can't quite say if the filter looks right or not, but maybe that's because I simply don't watch many "tuned" GT6 videos. For now, I'll say it's an improvement, and that's great.

DirectX 12, part of upgrading to Windows 10. Before now, I've never been able to run both of my R7 260Xs at max settings, 60 fps. Now? With the occasional crash from the editing software, it's a breeze. The filter is a "moon light" filter courtesy of Power Director 12. Thought I'd give it a go on a night race to see what everyone thought. Probably look better at poorly lit tracks like Bathurst and Le Mans.

And when was that video taken? Are the ones from yesterday making an appearance as well, or is that just #wishfulthinking on my part?

What I don't get to tonight will be up when I get home from work tomorrow. Stay tuned, or if your impatient as I am just subscribe to my clogged YouTubes.

Also, isn't the Airtrek a former COTW choice as well? If my memory serves me correctly, I think you have been there before...

I hate to say it, but this may answer your question...

Last edited:
I need to know the name of the woman on the right with black hair. Don't ask questions :mischievous:

Anyway...let's trek on over to the Airtrek. First of all, the name is awesome. Airtrek, like a journey through the air. It's certainly a better name than "Outlander" which is what the Airtrek is called in the USA.

The numbers prior to oil change:

2.0L
236 hp / 5,500 rpm
253 ft-lb / 2,500 rpm
1,520 kg (3,351 lbs)
408 pp

Compare with the Evolution VII GSR '01 on which the Airtrek Turbo-R is based:

2.0L
314 hp / 6,500 rpm
308 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
1,400 kg (3,086 lbs)
466 pp

The Evo VII is almost 7 (VII :D) seconds faster than the Airtrek at Mid-Field on Comfort Soft tires.

^ Top speed = 123 mph

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:29.893 - 400 - Nissan Skyline GTS-R (R31) '87
1:29.908 - 415 - Pontiac Firebird Trans Am '78
1:29.914 - 387 - Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR '97
1:29.914 - 388 - Renault R5 Turbo '80
1:29.918 - 420 - Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type V '98
1:29.924 - 401 - Honda Prelude Si VTEC '91
1:29.937 - 403 - Seat Ibiza Cupra '04
1:29.954 - 406 - Honda Accord Euro-R '00
1:29.995 - 407 - Peugeot RCZ '10
1:30.048 - 415 - Volvo C30 R-Design '09
1:30.076 - 389 - Mitsubishi FTO GR '97
1:30.126 - 403 - Mini Cooper S '11
1:30.170 - 407 - Audi TT Coupe 1.8T Quattro '00
1:30.175 - 394 - Peugeot 206 RC '03
1:30.339 - 410 - Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Quad Cab '04
1:30.383 - 408 - Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo-R '02
1:30.397 - 387 - Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R '98
1:30.410 - 393 - Nissan Skyline HT 2000 Turbo RS (R30) '83
1:30.424 - 409 - Alfa Romeo Brera Sky Window 3.2 JTS Q4 '06
1:30.456 - 408 - Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 DOHC Turbo VR-4 '89
1:30.471 - 395 - Toyota Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '99
1:30.477 - 389 - Mini Cooper S '02
1:30.502 - 383 - Honda CR-X SiR '90
1:30.510 - 411 - Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91
1:30.565 - 389 - Nissan Primera 20V '01
1:30.574 - 371 - MG MGF '97
1:30.578 - 404 - Volkswagen New Beetle RSi '00
1:30.599 - 391 - Mini Cooper S '05
1:30.600 - 383 - Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) '95
1:30.622 - 392 - Nissan Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90
1:30.703 - 391 - Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07
1:30.706 - 382 - Mitsubishi FTO GR '94
1:30.728 - 401 - Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V '01
1:30.805 - 400 - Audi Quattro '82
1:30.822 - 407 - Ford Taurus SHO '98
1:30.822 - 402 - Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupé '54
1:30.843 - 390 - Peugeot 207 GTi '07

If you look closely, you'll see last weeks' CotW in there :eek:

Mitsubishi's own Legnum VR-4 is in the list as well, and the V6 4WD VW Beetle.

I'm going with "beater" on this one. It needs some oversteer dialed in, along with upgraded turbo, exhaust, and tires. Oh and don't forget the manual transmission. Shame on Mitsu for not offering that. And I do think we already had this car, but maybe I'm wrong...

I'm going to try formatting my portable HDD so that I can copy some GT6 replays. That way I can do my COTW timed runs.

My timed runs are going to be on the Red Bull Ring. Each COTW will have Comfort Softs fitted for their run and they will not have an oil change prior to the start.

Aside from the COTW itself, I will also run cars within 20PP of said COTW. (For example, this week's car the Airtrek Turbo R comes in at 408PP. This means I will have to run cars rated between 398PP and 418PP.)

If the COTW is a production car, then I will be using only production cars for the testing. If the COTW is a Tuned or Racing car however, then I will use Tuned and Racing cars if they are within the Performance Point Parameters I have set, as well as production cars.

I am admittedly not the best GT player in the world, so I will be doing my timed runs with the standard driver aids:
  • Traction Control - 5
  • Anti-lock Brakes - 1
  • Active Steering - Mild
  • I am going to try to use Manual Transmission as I am getting used to shifting gears (I have been taking driving lessons every Friday)
I will keep each timed run for Ghost Laps but I will only be uploading the COTW to YouTube. I will delete the other cars' timed laps as they will not be needed.

Last edited:
DirectX 12, part of upgrading to Windows 10. Before now, I've never been able to run both of my R7 260Xs at max settings, 60 fps. Now? With the occasional crash from the editing software, it's a breeze. The filter is a "moon light" filter courtesy of Power Director 12. Thought I'd give it a go on a night race to see what everyone thought. Probably look better at poorly lit tracks like Bathurst and Le Mans.

Ah, the famed Windows 10... It seems that there are good things which involve its upgrades compared to, well, older and not-so-cool Windows. So that DirectX 12 now allows you to run your R7 260X (whatever that is) at a better and higher quality pace while providing you with more choices. Also, is that Power Director 12 a free program, or do I have to fork some moolah for it?

What I don't get to tonight will be up when I get home from work tomorrow. Stay tuned, or if your impatient as I am just subscribe to my clogged YouTubes.

Well, I'm not that impatient when it comes to YouTubes (unless it's a video featuring something that I am very eager to see), but I can be kind enough to subscribe to your channel. After all, the material is of good quality, so it's not like I don't have a reason to subscribe...

Oi, I don't have that... I just have a head that thinks too much, it's a different problem that leads to the same cause. :lol:

Also, congrats on the bypassing the 400+ followers and 1.2 million views mark, that much I can't forget. ;)👍 :cheers:

Regarding Mr. @SuzukaStar's classic good job, I'd say the Airtrek's problems come due to the raised suspension and automatic transmission, yes. So, I'd fix both (by lowering the ride height and stiffening the suspension a bit, as well as using a close-range transmission for good measure), and then install a better ECU and some other part to match the LanEvo's standard 276hp figure. Then again, I'm sure others will have their other ideas, so be my elated guest and do whatever you think it's best. It is your car, after all... ;)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back