Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

This week is gonna be a tad different...

Capture4.PNG

You know Jerrad has joined us on Saturdays, via Twitch on other days (notably Tuesdays) and on G+, but he's finally joined us here...

Congratulations husbando (Sebastian)!!!

Jerrad has decided to defer his selection to his 4-year-old son, Sebastian, who occasionally races under his fathers moniker on Saturdays! GT Sport may be from ages 7-77, we go from 9-94 (assuming we can find a 94-year-old that races on Gran Turismo).

husbando
Of all the cars he could have picked ,he wanted daddy's old race car.

integra_type_r_and_model_by_plinkyle.jpg

It's the 1998 Honda Integra Type R (DC2)!!!

husbando
Mine was a 97 Type R in championship white but close enough.

Okay, well, two things I have to say to that:

DC5, I know, but still.

and

StraightOuttaSomewhere%25281%2529.jpg

husbando
Here's one of my previous cars in action at a local autocross. 97 Integra Type R with k20 swap. I helped my buddy build this car from scratch as it was a theft recovery, bought from an insurance company that was stripped to the bare shell. We sourced all the authentic parts and built the car for under $10,000. Shortly after the build he came into some money issues so I traded him my black Integra plus cash ,owned it for approximately 6 months until I had a kid on the way. Due to the nature of the car and not having a back seat, it wasn't practical for a baby, so we traded back. :)
He still has the car and I Drive it on the weekends from time to time and at track events.

Congratulations are also in order for @Lewis_Hamilton_ , for besting the top time without cheating, and nailing a 1:20.183! This week's Playing with TTs! will be at Tokyo, and should be available shortly. Schoolgirls not included.

Also, the end of the year is fast approaching, as is our 100th week. Anything special that you'd like for #100? The Car of the Year Award categories will be announced sometime in December, so stay tuned and be thinking of awards you'd like to see and cars you'd like to nominate (please PM me with all award suggestions).

Also, the end of the year is fast approaching, as is our 100th week. Anything special that you'd like for #100?

A 100 lap race

around GT Arena

Slightly more seriously, you could try to feature all 100 COTWs in the races if everyone is willing to put in the time. Would take 7-9 races to do though. Or perhaps a wide panned photo of all 100 cars lined up together which would take less time.. I can stitch the pictures together for you providing everyone parks a little further along each time, and make it into a banner for you.

Something like this...

fuji-speedway-f-jpg.327288

But taken like this...

center-wide.jpg

Well what do you know, Mr. husbando has entered the realm of GTP! Welcome to the fray, and hope you enjoy your time here. You'll find good, car-minded folk here, just be sure to search properly. :gtplanet: 👍

And he owned a DC2 Integra for track use... well, he is indeed a car man after all, a fine choice for those twisty tracks. Of course, those who raced against me during the Sileighty week found out how good an Integra can be in a track-based situation, so this car does not really need an introduction... As a man who saw a cousin use a DC2 as his wedding car, I know the Integra rather well.

It can, however, use a Best Motoring video. So let's watch one, shall we? :sly:

Be sure not to overly rice your cars, gentlemen, stock Type Rs are hard to come by these days. Pandas can be saved from extinction, but so should Type-Rs. And Skylines. And Toyota AE86s. You get the picture...

Last edited:
So which is the best DC2 of the trio? We have the '95, the '98, and the '99. The specs after driving off the dealership lot are as follows:

'95
197 hp / 8,000 rpm
134 ft-lb / 7,500 rpm
1,060 kg (2,337 lbs)
407 pp

'98
198 hp / 8,000 rpm
138 ft-lb / 6,500 rpm
1,080 kg (2,381 lbs)
408 pp

'99
199 hp / 8,000 rpm
139 ft-lb / 6,500 rpm
1,080 kg (2,381 lbs)
410 pp

The '95 carries 20 kg's less mass through the corners than the '98 and '99. It also makes peak torque 1,000 rpm higher.

So how does the '98 do at Mid-Field on Comfort Soft tires?

^ Top speed on the straight - 123 mph. The '95 was 2 mph faster.

Cars within ~0.500 seconds:

1:27.122 - 407 - Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '95
1:27.147 - 435 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B '96
1:27.215 - 451 - Chevrolet Camaro SS '69
1:27.309 - 395 - Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe '99
1:27.328 - 409 - Lotus Elise Type 72 '01
1:27.342 - 423 - Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24V '04
1:27.354 - 417 - Mitsubishi Pajero Rally Raid Car '85
1:27.363 - 410 - Mercedes Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II '91
1:27.368 - 431 - Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '06
1:27.406 - 408 - Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 '85
1:27.418 - 425 - BMW 330i '05
1:27.422 - 409 - TRD Celica TRD Sports M (ZZT231) '00
1:27.427 - 410 - Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '99
1:27.428 - 439 - Jaguar E-Type Coupe '61
1:27.444 - 428 - Audi S4 '98
1:27.446 - 479 - Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
1:27.460 - 417 - Chrysler Crossfire '04
1:27.485 - 435 - Plymouth AAR Cuda 340 Six Barrel '70
1:27.489 - 407 - Suzuki Concept-S2 '03
1:27.548 - 422 - Nissan Skyline Sedan 300GT '01
1:27.574 - 423 - Volkswagen Golf IV R32 '03
1:27.593 - 428 - Volkswagen Golf VI R '10
1:27.603 - 434 - Toyota Aristo 3.0V '91
1:27.613 - 439 - Mazda Mazdaspeed Atenza '05
1:27.620 - 427 - Alfa Romeo 147 GTA '02
1:27.636 - 408 - Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '98
1:27.673 - 411 - Mazda Savanna RX-7 Infini III (FC) '90
1:27.684 - 407 - Subaru BRZ S '12
1:27.762 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95
1:27.802 - 429 - Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
1:27.811 - 411 - Nissan Sileighty '98
1:27.817 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II GSR '94
1:27.818 - 428 - Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01
1:27.820 - 405 - DMC Delorean S2 '04
1:27.835 - 461 - Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO '64
1:27.842 - 420 - BMW Z4 '03
1:27.847 - 421 - Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
1:27.861 - 435 - Subaru Legacy B4 RSK '98
1:27.892 - 424 - Audi A3 3.2 Quattro '03
1:27.892 - 426 - Mazda MX-Crossport '05
1:27.899 - 422 - Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
1:27.913 - 456 - Mercedes-Benz CL 600 '00
1:27.914 - 406 - Mazda RX-8 '03
1:27.985 - 407 - Scion FR-S '12
1:27.991 - 404 - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
1:28.167 - 405 - Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '99

Lots of competition here. As far as other cars of the mid-90s go, there's the Nissan Sileighty '98, Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe '99, Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B '96, Audi S4 '98, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK '98, Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97, and finally the Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '99.

The big wing, red Honda badges and "Type R" graphics on the sides aren't very subtle, but those can be easily changed if one wanted to give the illusion that it's nothing special. The Integra turns into corners like it's connected to your brain. It can hit 60 mph in 2nd gear. It can touch 9,000 rpm. It's quicker than the Subaru BRZ. I have to go with sleeper status.

And ironically enough, according to @MidFieldMaven's fine work, the youngest of the "DC2 Bros." is actually the slowest of the trio. Classic PD Logic at work again, perhaps? Nevertheless, a DC2 is still a DC2, and we should not think any less of the '98 because it is the "slowest". Also, nice videos which you shared, Maven. You managed to find a BM video with the '98 spec ITR, now that is truly fitting.

And hey, @McClarenDesign shared a picture that echoes that famed GT5 trophy... you know which one, it is a Honda after all. ;)👍

The Acura! :lol:

And don't you dare not call the Acura cute...

The Acura sucks and it is not cute; it's not overweight and its target crowd isn't comprised of 60-year old dinossaurs from Florida, who are not enticed by Cadillacs and/or lack the Money to achieve such a "hefty goal" (buying a Caddy, of course). So there, the Acura is actually the worst car of the quartet. :P

I'm jesting, in case you can't tell. I don't hate Acuras, but the only reason you'd buy a ITR from them ingame is to bother muscle cars on the track as it's labled with the American status and therefore counts as an American car. Other than that, you're better off with the genuine article. as there is more variety within the Honda range and you can have a better-performing ITR at the same time. And yet, none of these cars have Premium status... How come?

Last edited:
The last couple of official races from Saturday Night - Apricot Hill and Twin Ring Motegi. Share and enjoy fellow racers :-)

I enjoyed my time with the Viper both online and off and it is certainly deserving of respect, not least for the huge amount of fun that can be had driving it. Not the most refined of cars but very satisfying and always just keeping you on your toes. Not the animal I was expecting but wild enough to need a leash if it gets moody on you. No beater but no sleeper either - just the paint schemes advertise its intent and it didn't disappoint.​

Well what do you know, Mr. husbando has entered the realm of GTP! Welcome to the fray, and hope you enjoy your time here. You'll find good, car-minded folk here, just be sure to search properly. :gtplanet: 👍

And he owned a DC2 Integra for track use... well, he is indeed a car man after all, a fine choice for those twisty tracks. Of course, those who raced against me during the Sileighty week found out how good an Integra can be in a track-based situation, so this car does not really need an introduction... As a man who saw a cousin use a DC2 as his wedding car, I know the Integra rather well.

It can, however, use a Best Motoring video. So let's watch one, shall we? :sly:

Be sure not to overly rice your cars, gentlemen, stock Type Rs are hard to come by these days. Pandas can be saved from extinction, but so should Type-Rs. And Skylines. And Toyota AE86. You get the picture...

That video was freaking awesome! My favorite part, "The Type R is already a finely tuned vehicle." In other words don't touch it! Just drive it!

That video was freaking awesome! My favorite part, "The Type R is already a finely tuned vehicle." In other words don't touch it! Just drive it!

Thanks, I think so too; you can talk about your Top Gears and your Fifth Gears as well as that other YT channel with the great classic car videos (apologies for not remembering the name right away, but it is the same one that McClaren used to showcase the Lancia Stratos), heck I have no qualms against doing so since I admire them for each of their values and entertainment value.
But when it comes to JDM cars, there is only one true "bible", and that is Best Motoring; the finest racing drivers from Japan ("Gan-san" Kurosawa, Satoshi Motoyama, Keiichi Tsuchiya, you name them), thorough testing both on and off the track, and of course their legendary Tsukuba battles where you'll witness comedy, close racing and narration from legendary actors such as Toru Furuya (Amuro Ray from Mobile Suit Gundam) and Akira Kamiya (Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, winner of 11 Animage awards for Best Voice Actor). It is a shame that its own market led to BM's downfall, as very few good true JDM cars were being released during the recent times and you cannot make a JDM show with an emphasis on European and/or American market vehicles, but its spirit still lives on with the tuning counterpart known as Hot Version.
In short, when you have a group of drivers who have fun doing their job, and even go as far as to host a Daihatsu Midget race, you know why I enjoy watching Best Motoring videos so much. They're the benchmark for anyone who wants to review a JDM car. 👍

And yes, their point about the 'Teggy couldn't be any better; if your name isn't Spoon and/or Mugen, you'd be better off not touching the ITR with tuning parts at all. When you drive it in Gran Turismo, around a racing track, you can see why drivers such as Tsuchiya spoke of the Integra as a "racing car with license plates". Yes, it's not the most powerful coupe you'll ever drive, but it will one of the most memorable...

As for @McClarenDesign's bold answer to a bold challenge, I can only say this; you have indeed the "gentleman's parts" to be a racing driver. :bowdown: :lol:

Last edited:
...as well as that other YT channel with the great classic car videos (apologies for not remembering the name right away, but it is the same one that McClaren used to showcase the Lancia Stratos), heck I have no qualms against doing so since I admire them for each of their values and entertainment value.

Petrolicious. I also recommend Regular Car Reviews (NWS).

Petrolicious, that's the one, thanks for clarifying. I have already subscribed to Regular Car Reviews' YT channel, after only watching a chosen few reviews from him and being impressed by the quirky and monologue-esque dialogue, as well as his sense of humor. It's definitely a channel to watch if you like to see the most mundane cars (with a few special ones thrown in the mix) being looked at from a different light. And with NWS now writing articles for Road & Track, you can be sure that his material has quality attached to it...

The DC2 brings me back to the days of GT1. Where one could add racing modification. I drove the mess out of that car, eating vipers and such along the way. One thing I remember is that I drive it so much that for some reason during a race it seemed to enter some sort of limp mode. I can't remember what I did to fix it because I forgot if there were oil changes back then but it was very strange. So far, like the viper, I'm getting good vibes on this one. For reasons stated by @MidFieldMaven earlier, I too will name it a sleeper.

The Review
by CowboyAce57

pyUrt5wBj3ti7d8eK_0.jpg

The DC2 and Gran Turismo

The Honda Integra DC2 first made its appearance in GT1, and has been in every mainline GT game since. This has been included in various license tests as well, such as the cornering test in GT2.

The Looks

The DC2 has an aggressive appearance in the front and in the rear. Not real sure about the interior looks because it is a standard car. It has a nice little stock spoiler in the back that is able to be removed in the GT Auto.

Under the Hood

The Integra produces a decent 198 HP @ 8,000 rpm and 137.6 ft-lb of torque @ 6,500 rpm. It has a VTEC B18 engine that is naturally aspirated and weighs a light 1,080 kg.

Acceleration Test

0-60: 6.766 sec
0-100: 16.950 sec
400m: 15.528 sec
1,000m: 26.916 sec
Top Speed: 163 mph

The DC2 starts off with a bit of wheelspin at the beginning and makes a slow effort on acceleration. The top speed is probably way off from real life but hey, anything can happen in a video game :sly:

Road Test

Well since this is a Honda, why not test it at its home track at the ill faded Suzuka Curcuit? After three laps the best time I got was a 2:37.862. Since this is front wheel drive, this car deals out the usual understeer. It rolled through the esses fairly easily, and through the Spoon Curve with the front tires squealing and finally, VTEC kicked in in the strsight, rocketing the Integra to the finish.

The Verdict

Once again I am giving this car a sleeper rating because of the same reason as in previous cars of the week, it has potential. Plus, it makes a good cruiser or jdm stance car. Plus, it's the Type R model, making it born to be a racer.​

Playing Dodge Ball

That's right, it's a Dodge and not an SRT dammit... and this one is a GTS, which is way better than those RT10's. If you want something that's topless, go to a strip club. A Canadian strip club too, cause the poor Yankee's can't handle total nudity, or real beer for that matter. :lol: Oh ya, we're supposed to be talking about cars...

fhvzodi.jpg

When I first saw a Viper, it was like "FINALLY", something besides a Vette. Competition is a good thing, and it ONLY took about 45 years to do. After driving one for the first time, I had quite the smile on... until I got a quote from the insurance company. Damn... can someone pass me a Kleenex? Ouch was just one of the words I used, followed by a bunch that would get me banned from GTP, and probably the internet itself.

Still, it made an impression on me. This one car almost made me switch flags of allegiance where my pick of the Big Three was concerned. I was in lust with her, and wanted one BAD. :crazy: I would have needed to buy a tire shop to go with it, but I wanted one. Other people have given stats about the car, but numbers mean nothing compared to the feeling I got from it. Priceless. No, I never did get one, but I'll never forget that feeling either.

PrQQxWk.jpg

It's also a car that's been in EVERY Gran Turismo too, if I'm not mistaken. I've always liked them, and probably always will. It's no supercar, and it's no Sleeper either. Thankfully, it's not a Beater in any sense I can think of. Going with a Neutral verdict for a car that always makes me smile, whether or not it's being driven in real life or my virtual one.

Cheers

I've been checking the club every day and still haven't seen this weeks' Playing with TT's....can someone tell me why I'm failing? I want to participate!

Simple really, you have to go to Current Clubs, pick COTW, go down to club events and hey presto, your there. ;)👍

I assume going straight to club events is for when you've already signed up to one.

Latest standings Tokyo R246
name time

1) TurismoSlayer 2:07.817

2) Mojo_6449 2:08.154

3) McClarenDesign 2:08.252

4) BaronBlitzRed 2:08.435

5) Basswerks1 2:09.248

6) CrazyCap 2:09.892

7) Rob_on_drums 2:10.059

8) GTP_Mpower 2:10.584

9) husbando 2:13.319

10) davidantx 2:22.085

11)
I'm guessing no one is really trying on this one. It's getting near week closing and this guy is still on top.

Back