Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Had some great runs with @Baron Blitz Red, @OGGamer and CrazyCap today. Thanks guys! And not to mention some significant improvements for myself and CrazyCap. As for the car, thanks to @RacingOtaku86 I have a new favorite. It is a complete blast to drive and look forward to spending the week with it. After taking somewhat of a hiatus from the group over the last couple of months I feel I'm ready to jump back in full throttle! Also, thank you @basswerks1 for keeping up on the TT leader board!
no problem buddy !

2007 BMW M3 Coupe

The first line in the car's description reads like this: "The M3 has represented the top of the line model in BMW's popular 3 series lineup since the beginning."

Anyone, including myself, thinks of an M3 as both show and go. It's a symbol of attainable performance and proof of German engineering. For decades it's been a beacon of... BLAH BLAH BLAH

It's an M3, and there's high expectations for the car... Period. End of sentence. End of discussion.

qVy6Fey.jpg

In certain aspects, some of those expectations were met. But let's face it, for a car that's over $90,000, you better be getting a car worthy of respect. The part that I just cannot get over, (as previously mentioned) is that it needed a Chassis REBUILD after only 600 or so KM'S... not miles but Kilometers!!! That's got to be a record.

For that, and that alone, it's getting a BEATER status from me. For a car that's supposed to be a "top of the line" model, and it starts to fall apart before 1000 km's... the illusion of a great car has been murdered. Horribly, banned from TV, rated R, watching veteran cops puke on the sidewalk murdered. Beater Makes Work... for GT Auto.

Cheers

Last edited:
Had some great runs with @Baron Blitz Red, @OGGamer and CrazyCap today. Thanks guys! And not to mention some significant improvements for myself and CrazyCap. As for the car, thanks to @RacingOtaku86 I have a new favorite. It is a complete blast to drive and look forward to spending the week with it. After taking somewhat of a hiatus from the group over the last couple of months I feel I'm ready to jump back in full throttle! Also, thank you @basswerks1 for keeping up on the TT leader board!

You're welcome.

Finally the remaining races from last week's BMW M3 COTW. Enjoy. Brief race reports and results are included in the video descriptions on YouTube.

Also, I have one question and one favour to ask of members - firstly, do you prefer to see driver's names above the cars on these videos or would you rather I not include them?

Secondly, if you enjoy the videos please can I ask you to help me and the COTW scene out by giving your votes and shares through any social media services you use and, if possible, one of the most helpful things you can do is to give them a quick one click like on YouTube 👍.

My verdict on the M3 after a week's worth of driving and racing - a sleeper for sure. Fun to drive and very capable in terms of both performance and handling. Sure the engine note still sucks but I'm sure I'll be driving her a lot more since this COTW experience. Now it's on to the Viper and I'm loving this week's choice already 👍​

I think I picked a good one, boys...

I painted my '02 in "GTS Blue Pearl" which is an option on the '13 car. Now my '02 looks almost exactly like a '96 since blue with white stripes was the only color choice for that first model year of the GTS coupe.

I know what I'm painting one of my Vipers now. Not for the race, of course...

I just wish you can get the white body with blue stripes, like the GTS-R.

Last edited:
Killing two birds with one stone here. I promised @Patrick8308 a preview video for his latest track recreation - Sachsenring in Germany, which will be familiar to fans of motorcycle racing everywhere, so I thought why not combine it with a COTW video?

As with all my offline driving the racing is done in cockpit view with all driving assists off. I also added some weather to spice things up a bit and under these conditions the Viper lives up to its name - it slides and slithers and will happily bite the unwary :)

All my GT6/GTP friends can find the track in my shared track list along with several more of Patrick's creations which are all excellent venues and deserving of your time.

Killing two birds with one stone here. I promised @Patrick8308 a preview video for his latest track recreation - Sachsenring in Germany, which will be familiar to fans of motorcycle racing everywhere, so I thought why not combine it with a COTW video?

As with all my offline driving the racing is done in cockpit view with all driving assists off. I also added some weather to spice things up a bit and under these conditions the Viper lives up to its name - it slides and slithers and will happily bite the unwary :)

All my GT6/GTP friends can find the track in my shared track list along with several more of Patrick's creations which are all excellent venues and deserving of your time.

Thanks for publishing your video of Sachsenring here at the COTW club. This is another great video by the master of video recording. :bowdown:👍:D

If there's any interest in the tracks I've created you can either find them as mentioned on @OGGamer 's community profile or at my resources page where the tracks are being described more detailed.

I have to say that this seems like a really cool club. If only I had more time I'd consider joining. But at the moment I'm not capable of playing regularly or doing longer sessions.

So have fun racing guys!

Dodge Viper GTS '02 (I refuse to call it an SRT, because it isn't one.)
8.0L
448 hp / 5,000 rpm
490 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,569 kg (3,459 lbs)
516 pp

At Mid-Field Raceway, on Comfort Soft tires, it can manage a 1:18 without cutting any corners.

^ Top speed on the straight - 152 mph

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:18.451 - 532 - SRT Viper SRT10 '03
1:18.471 - 515 - Acura NSX LM Race Car '91
1:18.481 - 511 - Renault Sport Mégane Trophy '11
1:18.542 - 510 - Lamborghini Countach LP400 '74
1:18.577 - 582 - Gran Turismo Racing Kart 125 Shifter
1:18.587 - 534 - SRT Viper SRT10 Coupe '06
1:18.614 - 513 - RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7
1:18.637 - 492 - Suzuki GSX-R/4 '01
1:18.749 - 507 - Subaru Cusco Dunlop Subaru Impreza '08
1:18.753 - 504 - RE Amemiya AsparaDrink RX7 '06
1:18.782 - 537 - RUF CTR2 '96
1:18.791 - 521 - BMW M5 '05
1:18.803 - 509 - Toyota WedsSport Celica '03
1:18.931 - 522 - Pozzi MotorSports Camaro RS
1:18.959 - 516 - SRT Viper GTS '02
1:18.987 - 499 - RUF RGT '00
1:18.988 - 501 - Toyota Superautobacs Apex MR-S '00
1:19.080 - 510 - Subaru BRZ R&D Sport '12
1:19.200 - 496 - Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71
1:19.235 - 502 - Nismo Fairlady Z Z-Tune (Z33) '03
1:19.270 - 526 - Spyker C8 Laviolette '01
1:19.273 - 511 - Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary '88
1:19.396 - 485 - Honda S2000 LM Race Car
1:19.406 - 510 - BMW M4 Coupé

It's a few tenths slower than the BMW M5 '05. The more modern SRT10's are definitively quicker as well, but not by a ton.

This might be the only 1996 Viper GTS for sale in the USA right now, or at least the only one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Viper...06f9382d:g:-UMAAOSw9r1WDwHG&item=262110001197

Only 3k miles, for $60k or best offer. That's a steal for a collector's car that will likely double in value over the next decade or two.

And the Viper is definitely not a beater or a sleeper. It's a monster.

I'll just leave this one here, it was the last club race the other night at Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Mans 24 hr). Enjoy the mayhem :eek:
1st RacingOtaku
2nd McClarenDesign
3rd Mojo_6449 (OGGamer)
4th BaronBlitzRed
5th Corvetteklm

I accidentally had TC turned on for that race. Oops.

I should say for tonight I won't be there for the entire session. One or two races, tops. I know, for someone who voted this car, he should be there.

I accidentally had TC turned on for that race. Oops.

I should say for tonight I won't be there for the entire session. One or two races, tops. I know, for someone who voted this car, he should be there.

You won't have been the only one I'm sure :) I sometimes run with it on 1 - depends on the car. I was expecting the Viper might need it but I find I run better without it and have been pleasantly surprised at how controllable the slide is with this car and how much warning and feel it offers at the limit. Nicely controllable and makes it immense fun to drive - a good choice mate!

When the race starts in the Viper and you don't have traction control, how do you avoid wheel-spin? I usually have the rpm's at redline so when it's time to go I just spin until the tires hook up.

I feather the throttle to keep the tyre moving at the same speed as the road, thus preventing unwanted spin.

I'll be sure to tell him. He knows your name too. :)

Glad you joined us, sir!

Ah, I figured as much. If I had a wheel, I'd be a lot less lazy about starting from a standstill. But with a controller, I guess I just love to lay down fat, smoky rubber :)

And isn't that the right way to do it? In a Viper, elegance is not the key word of the day, after all. You need to wrestle that son of a gun like he was Stone Cold Steve Austin on a bad day. And lord only knows how dangerous Austin is on a good day... much like the Viper. :sly: :lol:

The Review
by CowboyAce57

The Viper GTS and Gran Turismo

My journey starts with GT1. This is truly one of the pioneer cars of the GT series, but that's he '99 model. The '02 was first seen in GT5 and as expected, makes another appearance in GT6. I don't see much of a difference between the '99 and '02 other than the obvious standard/premium difference.

The Looks

The Viper has once again smooth lines all around and has the stance of an animal. From a side view it looks like a race car, but yet it's only a sports car. Aero options include some sort of a front splitter, a sort of ugly flat floor, and a wide rear wing. If you decide to paint the car it will maintain the racing stripes. I decided to paint mine a metallic dark green color.

Under the hood

The Viper packs a 449 HP naturally aspirated 7,997 cc V10 engine that produces 514.1 ft-lb of torque. I weighs in at a hefty 1,569 kg and has a 48:52 weight distribution. As usual it has am FR drivetrain, which should make for some fun drifting.

Acceleration Test

0-60: 3.700 sec
0-100: 8.567 sec
400m: 11.734 sec
1,000m: 21.500 sec
Top Speed: ~240 mph

The Viper fires off the line with the tire squealing, but seems to make some good numbers. 6th gear kicks in at around 195 mph, so I'm assuming the tope Speed is around 240 mph.

Road Test

Decided to take this car to its home plate in GT, Laguna Seca. After three laps the best time I could get was 1:36.131. This car does actually take some skill if you want to get the most out of it. Push the throttle too hard and you will slide, or brake too much and you will lose time. Other than that, this car is fun as usual to drive and should be given a chance from more people.

The Verdict

Hmm, my verdict..... I could say that this is neither, but that wouldn't say anything. I will give it a sleeper rating for the customization, fun to drive ability, and that venomous V10 that makes the Viper one of the best cars of all time.​

Latest standings
1. Fire- Yoshi24 1:21.105

2. BaronBlitzRed 1:21.679

3. Mojo_6449 1:21.865

4. McClarenDesign 1:22.036

5. TurismoSlayer 1:22.538

6. Basswerks1 1:22.957

7. CrazyCap 1:23.356

8. coleman57 1:23.870

9. GTP_Mpower 1:23.924

10. Tomsoft 1:24.178

11. Rob_on_drums 1:24.196

I don't have enough expletives for this post. Moving on...

Latest standings
1. Fire- Yoshi24 1:21.105

2. BaronBlitzRed 1:21.679

3. Mojo_6449 1:21.865

4. McClarenDesign 1:22.036

5. TurismoSlayer 1:22.538

6. Basswerks1 1:22.957

7. CrazyCap 1:23.356

8. coleman57 1:23.870

9. GTP_Mpower 1:23.924

10. Tomsoft 1:24.178

11. Rob_on_drums 1:24.196
But how long will I remain on top before a vicious alien comes and eats me? :scared:

You won't have been the only one I'm sure :) I sometimes run with it on 1 - depends on the car. I was expecting the Viper might need it but I find I run better without it and have been pleasantly surprised at how controllable the slide is with this car and how much warning and feel it offers at the limit. Nicely controllable and makes it immense fun to drive - a good choice mate!

Thank you for the kind words, sir!

But how long will I remain on top before a vicious alien comes and eats me? :scared:

"Vicious alien"? Why good sir, there is no such thing in our fair grounds, there's no need to worry.

I mean besides @Vic Reign93 that is, but he has long since transcended the barrier that separates aliens and godlike beings when it comes to driving...

Back