Beater or Sleeper? FH3 Edition! Thanks for coming.

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 573 comments
As one of the veterans of the GT6 Beater Or Sleeper group, I felt like I had an obligation to join in on the fun down under. :D

Bought the Rockstar edition, went straight to Ocean View Trail and set to work.

And here is the results of said work..

IMG_0090.JPG

Yep, I went there. :lol:

As for the RZR, On very short cross country tracks or even in Playground games events like King etc, it's got Sleeper potential.

Lightweight, small, versatile, 4 wheel drive and no need to shift gears (unless you're reversing :P) if you stick with the CVT.

Since online racing isn't a must in this club, I can resume regular scheduling.

First things first, the time trial.

And the results are in!
Congrats, @Vic Reign93!

Vic Reign93: 2:19.940

doblocruiser: 2.20.541

NLxAROSA: 2:20.858

Popluxe Cowboy: 2:21.508

Overdrive003: 2:21.675

RMedia Obelisk: 2:21.742

Sutuki: 2:22.009

PJTierney: 2:22.009

Cowboy: 2:22.242

Ken: 2:22.609

Now to pick the winner for Week 2.

Congra-

Oh? It seems @McClarenDesign responded...

McClarenDesign
Goddammit, I don't have Horizon 3 yet... gotta wait till after COTA, so keep in mind that I'm blind here.

If you're blind, how can you read and write? Unless you have one of those fancy Braille computers...

What'll you pick in your blind frenzy?

McClarenDesign
I'll select my first True Love...

We don't need to hear about your teenage crush on Marilyn Monroe, man.

It's the...

c373b700-8d13-421a-ab33-79d7d7ec3956.jpg

1987 Ferrari F40!

This week's time trial will be the Maroondah Dam Sprint in Yarra Valley!

It's the...

c373b700-8d13-421a-ab33-79d7d7ec3956.jpg

1987 Ferrari F40!

This week's time trial will be the Maroondah Dam Sprint in Yarra Valley!

I've ran this event several times, but I'll be damned if I get the leader boards to work properly. The only way I can access them is by changing rivals. Which of course, doesn't give me my time.

Hi everyone 👍 I wouldn't mind getting into this a lot more actively compared to GT6, to submit a time I'm guessing you challenge a rival in the F40 on that circuit picture it then submit?

Ken
The only thing that you're missing is that your car must be stock.

Of course! Although what's to stop people from adjusting tyre pressures? Or would that be allowed?

If they're locked by default ignore my Forza newbie-ness

Of course! Although what's to stop people from adjusting tyre pressures? Or would that be allowed?

If they're locked by default ignore my Forza newbie-ness

You can change any setting. I wouldn't think it would be frowned upon. But I still a newbie as well, so I'm not 100% sure.

Double post but new topic. As I mentioned a few posts back, I've ran the time trial several times but my time wasn't posting to the leader boards. After doing some research, I guess this is a wide spread problem. As in, nobody is able to post times in rival events. From what the official Forza forums say, this has been an issue since Thursday.

The F40 is nice, will give that a go later this week. 👍

I'd say stock is stock, so no changes. (I made no changes to the RZR) Not that we have any way of verifying. :lol:

I'm taking faith in you guys for submitting honest times. If I suspect that someone has been tuning, their times will be removed from the results.

10-24-2016_3-50-45_PM.png

2:57.344

What a beater. The car, in it's stock form is a slide happy monster, at least in this game. It's hard to get off the line in any fast way. It's hard to get around a corner without sliding into the scenery. Not my cup of tea at all.

Did a 3:10 clean first go completely stock
IMG_4547.JPG

Will try and get some faster times but it definitely wants to slide a lot like other people have said.

Please don't double post.

If he didn't, there would be no way that Populuxe Cowboy would have received a notification. I'm guessing that was Gotbeefboy564s intention.

Ken
If he didn't, there would be no way that Populuxe Cowboy would have received a notification. I'm guessing that was Gotbeefboy564s intention.
Also isn't there a certain time allowed to double post?

Also isn't there a certain time allowed to double post?

Yes, but I fear you didn't hit that. But under the circumstance, I think you did the right thing. However, I am no moderator.

On topic: In really hoping this idea transfers and sticks to Horizon. I live the game, but it's slowly coming to an end. I've done busy about everything in game and the Rivals system is a good way to keep it alive.

Why is your ghost smoking the whole track for the F40 trial?
Probably because I post times like this:

The Maroondah Dam Sprint is a surprisingly good choice for the F40 because of the many medium speed corners that test the car's rather notorious handling. I find a bit of brakes before you get in trouble goes a long way to a faster lap time. And yes, my car is completely stock. The only alteration I've made to it is the paint. I can improve my time some more, I think. I always brake late on the second to last left hand corner. It's downhill and a tight left, but even with me braking before the braking line says to, I still overshoot and lose a second or two.

I like the F40. Yes, it's tail-happy, but it's more controllable here than in GT where it is a nearly undriveable pig. I use a controller and automatic transmission. I've never had a wheel. I find the car is very communicative. The back end lets you know it's getting ready to step out before it actually steps out, so I can back off just a touch, let it settle in the corner and then pour on the coals. It would be considered one of the most famous supercars ever just based on how it looks, but it's got the goods under the skin, too.

Probably because I post times like this:

The Maroondah Dam Sprint is a surprisingly good choice for the F40 because of the many medium speed corners that test the car's rather notorious handling. I find a bit of brakes before you get in trouble goes a long way to a faster lap time. And yes, my car is completely stock. The only alteration I've made to it is the paint. I can improve my time some more, I think. I always brake late on the second to last left hand corner. It's downhill and a tight left, but even with me braking before the braking line says to, I still overshoot and lose a second or two.

I like the F40. Yes, it's tail-happy, but it's more controllable here than in GT where it is a nearly undriveable pig. I use a controller and automatic transmission. I've never had a wheel. I find the car is very communicative. The back end lets you know it's getting ready to step out before it actually steps out, so I can back off just a touch, let it settle in the corner and then pour on the coals. It would be considered one of the most famous supercars ever just based on how it looks, but it's got the goods under the skin, too.
Well said.

This makes me happy, because I'm seeing the fruit of my efforts only two weeks in. Drawing out potential in all drivers is part of what COTW is about, and I am seeing a lot of potential in our little shindig.

I'll also have Week 3's winner picked Friday night, so keep an eye on your inboxes!

As for the F40...I've got zero credits to get it. I guess I'd better start grinding!

You can still comment on the Polaris! Don't worry too much about it.
I like this approach. It's fun to post times to see how we stack up against each other, but I prefer the focus being to get in a car you might not otherwise drive and give it a go, test it out, see what it can do, then comment on it and compare your observations with other people.

I posted a 2.22.xxx in the Polaris, so well outside the top times.

I didn't much care for the CVT droning on, either. With a proper shifter box, it would sound quite tuneful I feel.

What I did like about it is the suspension travel and how this thing is made purely to hoon about over jumps and through water. Holds the road well enough too, considering the tyres.

I think I'm going to modify one. No crazy power, just transmission and rolling stock upgrades to see how much potential a street biased one has.

I like this approach. It's fun to post times to see how we stack up against each other, but I prefer the focus being to get in a car you might not otherwise drive and give it a go, test it out, see what it can do, then comment on it and compare your observations with other people.
The time trials are just part of the testing component. It also could - I hope - allow people to discuss how to improve their times in the cars and further themselves as drivers. Especially on a car as difficult as the F40, it's a useful thing to be able to compare different people's lines and paces.

VXR
I posted a 2.22.xxx in the Polaris, so well outside the top times.

I didn't much care for the CVT droning on, either. With a proper shifter box, it would sound quite tuneful I feel.

What I did like about it is the suspension travel and how this thing is made purely to hoon about over jumps and through water. Holds the road well enough too, considering the tyres.

I think I'm going to modify one. No crazy power, just transmission and rolling stock upgrades to see how much potential a street biased one has.
I think @PJTierney on the last page nailed it with his description of the Polaris. It has very little straight line speed, but it's incredibly responsive and flexible.

I'll be giving this a shot today. I much prefer this over the Polaris. I couldn't stand that little thing :lol: I'll be able to able to put up a much more competitive time.

So after committing financial suicide for the 4th time ( Buying the last of the 4 10 million credit classics.) and the subsequent 2hr race at Goliath for cash, I picked up the F40. :)

Same as before, bought it and went straight to the event to lay down the time.

Here WAS the fastest stock F40 time.. :sly:

IMG_0091.JPG

And here is where it got me on the Global leaderboard.

IMG_0092.JPG

Granted it's still 14 seconds off the No:1 guy, But it's surprisingly how far up the list it currently is. :D

Biggest difference was the fact i'm running with clutch and that put me quite a few car lengths ahead of Casey before the first braking area.

As for the F40, Despite the weight being odd ( Some websites quoting 1100kg and others over 1300kg) Its still an absolute beauty to drive.

Yes it can be skittish, but it's a late 80's turbo Supercar so it's perfectly in its character.

The drawback I see most is its price tag, in Horizion 2 it's just under 270K. In Motorsport 6 its 410K.

Horizion 3? It's jumped to 1.2 million credits. :eek:

Now wherever that's to coincide with F40's real life value possibly going up more I don't know, but that's almost an 800k jump from Motorsports 6.

But it's a bargain compared to its older Turbocharged brother the 288 GTO which is over 3 million credits. :crazy:

So i'm calling the F40 Neutral. :)

Back