Beater or Sleeper? FH3 Edition! Thanks for coming.

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 573 comments
So I'm a bit new to this topic and don't exactly get the rating system. By definition what do the two ratings mean?

I'll edit my post after I find out, and make my selection. As for my time

Screenshot-Original.png

I know exactly where I need to improve, but I burnt myself out for now :lol: The car itself is actually quite a nice drive, but if you get too sideways then its lost, especially at speed. It being MR makes it very easy to just plow through those high speed corners. A bit sad that I blew all my money on this challange!

Sleeper = Well, an underrated car that makes for an excellent choice.

Beater = Car is garbage, tuned or not.

Just loose definitions off of the top of my head.

Maybe @Vic Reign93 can clarify?

Sleeper = Well, an underrated car that makes for an excellent choice.

Beater = Car is garbage, tuned or not.

Just loose definitions off of the top of my head.

Maybe @Vic Reign93 can clarify?
Ah and if it doesn't align with either of those, neutral is an option too? If so, I'd select that as well as it doesn't seem to fit in either of those.

Couple of the common views on Beaters or Sleepers back on GT6 were like this,

Sleepers: Cars that exceed ones expectations, cars that held up to the hype they were given by the GT community, underrated cars that surprised you.

Beaters: Cars that didn't live up to expectations, cars that were rivalled by cheaper alternatives or outclassed by equally priced machines.

If you decide to have a small glance through the GT6 BoS thread, you'll notice different ways by different people of arriving at the same conclusion, some take lap times into account, some take price figures and others take each cars little quirks and details into account.

For example, I labelled the Caterham Fireblade a Beater as its stock gearing was way too long for what it was designed for and the Ferrari 250 GTO also was given a Beater rating due to many reasons as well, Bad engine sound, Bad stock camber settings that couldn't be fixed, Came stock with CS tyres on a 20millon credit car and so on.

Bottom line, It's up to the reviewer to decide what verdict a car gets, but it helps if you have facts and first hand experience to show as well. :)

Hope this helps a bit. :P

Here I thought my time was half way decent. But I am on controller.

Ken
Here I thought my time was half way decent. But I am on controller.
Me too. You'll get there, this is your first game with the series. Give it some time. Things like this should do good to help you improve.

Me too. You'll get there, this is your first game with the series. Give it some time. Things like this should do good to help you improve.

This isn't my first game of the series. In fact, I own Horizon 1. Plus, if you count Forza Motorsport, I have Forza 4, and have played 3 and 6.

:indiff:

I really did think 2:57 was decently fast. But oh well. I heard ImaRobot was fast. Didn't know about Vic Reign93. Guess it's time to up my game.

I just had a disturbing thought. I've probably been sim racing longer than most people and I'm still playing catch-up. Damn.

I'm not as fast as some of you guys but I managed to do a slightly faster lap than my time in the picture Vic has posted.
Screenshot-Original (1).png

I feel like the F40 is mostly a sleeper if you can manage the sliding it does.

Ken
I really did think 2:57 was decently fast. But oh well. I heard ImaRobot was fast. Didn't know about Vic Reign93. Guess it's time to up my game.

I just had a disturbing thought. I've probably been sim racing longer than most people and I'm still playing catch-up. Damn.
Forza is the only racer I end up going back to consecutively, where as you're coming straight from the Playstation before this game, so I'm probably near my peak and don't think I'd advance too much in the future. Oddly enough, drifting back in fm4 has taught me car control, so its something that could probably help if you dabble. Also keep in mind that manual with clutch makes you a good bit faster than the other settings.

However, for this car it helps to keep slightly on the power to avoid lift off oversteer.

EDIT: After reviewing the rating system (thanks @Vic Reign93!), I think this car is a sleeper as well.

MR set-ups can be a bit tricky to drive in sometimes, and but this one holds it's ground for the most part. You'd want to avoid lifting mid turn though, as that's when you'll start a slide, and when that happens there likely is no saving it.

There are some turns where you wouldn't really have to slow down at all, if you find that right entry point, but for others, I found that slowing down a bit more before it, and powering through the apex to be the best bet to avoid any unsettling of the car. It has great turn in, so much so that it's unexpected and I'd end up smashing into a wall because of it. There was a right hand sweeper after a long left somewhat near the beginning that I kept doing that exact thing.

Overall, I really enjoy the car, and it really made me want to tune it to the top of A-class and see how it holds, because even driving it stock definitely holds it's own.

Last edited:
After seeing @ImaRobot get a little too close for comfort to my time, I decided to go back for another run.

Imagine my surprise when I saw another GTP driver, Almu89 a whole second and a half clear of my time, that had to be adressed. :)

And so here's my reply..

IMG_0096.JPG

:D

After seeing @ImaRobot get a little too close for comfort to my time, I decided to go back for another run.

Imagine my surprise when I saw another GTP driver, Almu89 a whole second and a half clear of my time, that had to be adressed. :)

And so here's my reply..

View attachment 601182

:D
I knew you where going to do that sooner or later. There was a lot of time left in your lap, and I only managed to catch up at the very end. It was inevitable! If I can actually manage to run a perfect lap, I can improve, but yesterday frustrated me as the slightest wall tap was dqing me!

I'll see if I have it in me to give it a try today, but if not, I wont be back in town until next Tuesday :(

Are we the only ones at the top running a stock car? :lol:

I knew you where going to do that sooner or later. There was a lot of time left in your lap, and I only managed to catch up at the very end. It was inevitable! If I can actually manage to run a perfect lap, I can improve, but yesterday frustrated me as the slightest wall tap was dqing me!

I'll see if I have it in me to give it a try today, but if not, I wont be back in town until next Tuesday :(

Are we the only ones at the top running a stock car? :lol:

@Casey is just outside the top 30, you are just outside the top 15, Almu89 is just outside the top 10 and even though i'm still 8th ( due to another Lancer GSR putting a time in), I have gone even quicker. :eek:

IMG_0097.JPG

I can't even keep up with your updating.

I need a reminder on who did what...

Ok quick recap. :P

I went back to improve my original time due to Robot being very close to it and noticed another member of the GTP club, Almu89 was ahead by a second and a half.

I went and took down that time by 1 second, but I knew I could go faster, so I went for another run and the recent time you see is the result. :)

And then I noted where everyone who was driving a stock F40 was on the Global leaderboards. :D

I think I'll have to agree with @Vic Reign93's judgment and loudly proclaim the F40 a neutral car. Oh, don't get me wrong: it's an awesome ride. Its looks have aged like a fine wine - but then, that's what you get when function and raw performance dictates form. The twin-turbo V8 engine howls and screams and puffs as you climb revs and shift gears. And it's no slouch either - as the times posted 'ere demonstrate, on fast, pure tarmac tracks the old lady's one of the fastest cars in its class in stock form, and with some updates it may even become a competitor for the throne.
Buuuut... It's a car so outrageous that significantly raised the bar for supercars to come when it debuted. And it costs a pretty penny - over 1 million credits in game. Almost as much as an Agera. And that's why I have some problems calling it a sleeper. It's an awesome ride, but you expect it to be.

Anyways...

Screenshot-Original (4).png

I could probably shave two or three seconds off that time, if I wanted, but I'd rather spend my time cruising in this beast. Maybe I'll try to be faster next time?

Looks like we've had mixed reviews on this car. Let's move on before McClarenDesign starts whining about it...

First off, the time trials!

Congrats, @Vic Reign93 for winning the time trial!
Vic Reign93: 2:39.783

ImaRobot: 2:43.530

Casey: 2:47.501

ClydeYellow: 2:55.075

Popluxe Cowboy: 2:56.143

Ken: 2:57.344

Gotbeefboy564: 3:10.824

If I missed any times, please take a number
:
complaint-department-grenade-please-take-a-number-pineapple-wall-version_23468461.jpeg

No, seriously. Tell me if I missed your time and I'll add it.

And as is standard for the Car of the Week thread, we must now sacrifice someone to the great car gods to appease them.

Congratulations, @Ken!

Ken
Geesh. I've never won anything in my whole life. I'd first like to thank the Academy.

We don't need to hear the speech, Leonardo DiCapiro.

Ken
Secondly, I would've have able to do this without my beard.

We also don't need to hear about your beard, Shia LeBouf.

Ken
But without further ado. I think in honor of the Australian Outback, we should test an Australian car. How about the...

It's the 2014 HSV Limited Edition GEN-F GTS Maloo!

GetPhoto (4).jpg

This week's time trial is at Figure Eight Desert Circuit in the Outback!

As the Aussies say, make tracks!

Managed to get a 1:04.565. The HSV is fun to drive! It's pretty stable, but if you give it a little too much gas, it lights the rear tires up. I was surprised how well the brakes are on it, they slow the car down very quickly.

Managed to get a 1:04.565. The HSV is fun to drive! It's pretty stable, but if you give it a little too much gas, it lights the rear tires up. I was surprised how well the brakes are on it, they slow the car down very quickly.

Did you do the track in a stock Maloo? I have a rival with you with an A800 version.

I managed a 1:02.596

I think this car is definitely a sleeper. Like mentioned, the brakes are great.. They actually threw me off at first because I wasn't expecting it to stop so suddenly.

It has very good balance through the turns as well. If you don't have a heavy finger you can keep on the gas slightly which would allow you to get some good speed upon exit.

Pretty unexpected result for something that looks a bit like a truck :lol:

Screenshot-Original.png

Tapping the wall slightly before the final turn and invalidating a good lap. I'm done for this car, not really my cup of tea. Would be fantastic for drifting though 👍
image.jpeg

Edit: This car definitely earns it's Holden badge with it's love of lighting up the rear tires like there's no tomorrow! She roars fiercely with a hint of supercharger. The Ute for the fastest tradie.

Non invalidated time was 1:03 or 4 rest were wall tapping from either T1 second last turns :lol:

Last edited:
I can't take an invalid lap, unfortunately. I'll put you in at a 1:03.5 based on what you said about your clean lap. Is that OK?

I can't take an invalid lap, unfortunately. I'll put you in at a 1:03.5 based on what you said about your clean lap. Is that OK?

Perfectly fine 👍 I could try again later. Either way doesn't matter just for fun

Back