Beater or Sleeper? FH3 Edition! Thanks for coming.

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 573 comments
I decided to try and keep mostly on the track and not rely on going off road too much.

Now I'm not saying you cut corners, but for once I decided to play it safe in how I did the run. :P

Will it cost me this weeks win? more than likely. :lol:

Not too concerned though, there's always the next car to go all out in. :D
But you virtually stopped lol
On to next weeks, have you done the RC ?

But you virtually stopped lol
On to next weeks, have you done the RC ?
Admittedly I was sorta gaming under the influence on some whiskey at the time so I wouldn't know 100% if I did fully stop. :P

I'll have a look at the RC event, but I also got two rivals events I need to keep eyes on as they are part of 2 different weekly championships I'm in and let's just say the fellow racers involved are like some of us here, slightly alien. :lol:

I owe you guys an apology. I've had a terrible schedule for the past few weeks and couldn't find the time to keep up with everything.

That said, about time I updated this thread.

First off, Lancia Fulvia.

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!

Vic Reign93: 2:52.139
FastBud (Yes, I see you in Vic's post): 2:52.539
Populuxe Cowboy" 2:57.644
ClydeYellow: 3:07.621

And now the Fiesta.

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!
Vic Reign93: 2:52.406
Populuxe Cowboy: 2:57.311
GTvsForza: 3:04.946

Win hog.

So going into this week, we have a new guest.

Congrats, @GTvsForza!

So what car are we looking at, Sly Cooper?

GTvsForza
What have we done so far?

I keep a list of cars in the OP!

GTvsForza
I was thinking of the...

028f8a6f-53ac-42d4-bbb4-ead104281248.jpg

Tearing up Europe. Courtesy of Turn 10, Playground Games.
It's the 2009 Honda S2000 CR!

This car is a track monster, designed to chew up asphalt. So why not give it a challenging challenge lol to take on?

This wee's time trial is the fearsome Goliath Circuit in Byron Bay!

17947419-642e-4828-8a54-b8f17e8f9b3f.PNG

The benchmark has been set. :D;)

The S2000 was definitely struggling on the very long straights of Goliath and the lack of power and torque hurt it on the uphill section early on.

On a tight and technical track it'll be a joy to drive, but taking the tracks out the equation the S2000 is still a great car to drive.

It's engine despite being a bigger displacement over the first gen S2000 at 2.2 litres still cranks out near 240hp, considering it's a non turbo 4 Cylinder engine it's making well over 100hp per litre while the older 2.0 engine made an absurd 120hp per litre. :eek:

Why is that absurd? simply because from 1999 to 2010, no other Non turbo piston engine had that level of Hp per litre and it took the 4.5 litre V8 of the Ferrari 458 to dethrone it. :drool:

That rev happy gem of an engine combined with the more track focused set up of the CR (Club Racer) means you get a great performing machine which'll serve you well if treated right.

I'll call this one a Sleeper. :)👍

14:27.201. With the servers down, I had to resort to making a two lap exhibition race. I assure you my fast lap was clean with no rewinding, collisions or cutting.

As much as I love both Goliath and the S2000, like a jalapeño red velvet cupcake, I think this is a case of two great tastes that don't get along. Goliath doesn't even begin to scratch at the S2000's strength, which is a corner-to-corner canyon-carving genius. Still, if you have to spend hours droning along at 140 mph, there are far worse mounts than the S2000. Sleeper.

Ok people, @Obelisk is busy with his finals so he hasn't had time to pick a winner.

But don't worry, He asked me to throw together this weeks car and track for you guys, consider it an Intervention of sorts. ;)

So this weeks track is in Yarra Valley and it's the Timber Mill Scramble event.

The Car? I settled on an Italian for this one...

It's the 1980 Abarth Fiat 131!!

IMG_0148.PNG

(Photo courtesy of Google Images and Forza 4.)

A modest Fiat 131 pumped up by the legendary Carlo Abarth's company built for the world of rallying, so how quick can you throw this classic around the Timber mills dirt roads? :)

I found a little time to catch up.

For our S2000 TT...

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!
Vic Reign93: 13:47.528
Populuxe Cowboy: 14:27.201
GTvsForza: 14:54.482

That all aside, I have a rally to take part in this week after Finals, as well as recording and posting the Hotwheels Expansion on YouTube. I should be all set by Sunday!

I am finally free from the college curse of finals.

I should be back in top form for our madhouse. Truth be told, I kinda miss @SLP950's reviews - they were quite entertaining.

The Timber Mill Scramble was perfect for wringing out this little econobox. RWD and a rorty engine always equals fun, but when you add in plenty of dirt and tarmac, the fun becomes doubled! There was a small downside in that the engine tended to bog down in one particular section for me. Just after the 180 that takes you from the tarmac section into the mill, there is a long double-apex right around the south end of the mill. I drive my cars in automatic and I couldn't keep it from bogging down in that section. The other tricky part for me was getting around the big sweeping left that goes from dirt back to tarmac because of the logs lying on the ground. I tended to clip the back wheel drifting around that corner. But otherwise I just kept improving my times with every new rival, getting faster and faster. It's a super easy car to drive fast on both dirt and tarmac. Definitely sleeper.

Last edited:
Alright, alright. Sorry I'm late. I decided to stream yesterday and forgot to update this thread.

First off, standings!

Congrats, @Populuxe Cowboy!

He was the only one who entered this week. Come on, guys! Do you really want to let the 50 year old get away with the wins? Sorry Populuxe, I had to.

As for this week's winner...

Congrats, @PJTierney!

What should we use this week?

PJTierney
If you still need a car choice however I'd like to put forward the...

ea61f6c1-8221-47d6-acbb-024c84eb536b.jpg

Courtesy of Turn 10/Playground Games.
It's the 1992 Bugatti EB110!

Now, this week will be a little different. You guys can use whatever track you want to test this machine! I'm not going to be counting the standings this week. Have fun!

Whooo!

He was the only one who entered this week.
Oh.

Come on, guys! Do you really want to let the 50 year old get away with the wins? Sorry Populuxe, I had to.

Hey! Hey! Hey! I'm not 50!
I'm 54.

It's the 1992 Bugatti EB110!
Now, this week will be a little different. You guys can use whatever track you want to test this machine! I'm not going to be counting the standings this week. Have fun!
Sounds like Goliath time to me.

So the EB110 SS ( Or the "Politically Correct" way of saying it, the EB110 Super Sport.), Bugatti's first and almost last Supercar due to Bugatti going bankrupt in 1995.

In the standard GT form, it's quad turbo V12 with 12 ITBs and 60 valves all working through a 3.5 litre engine made an impressive 560hp which went to all 4 wheels via a 6 manual gearbox.

But not content with just being pipped to the title of fastest production car by the Jaguar XJ220, they brought out the SS version, which was lighter and more powerful, over 600 horsepower to be exact.

That gave the title to Bugatti for quite awhile....

aaaannnndd then the Mclaren F1 showed up. :P

After Bugatti went bust, A German company called Dauer Sportwagen GmbH bought the spare parts and uncompleted chassis's and built the Dauer EB110.

Dauer wasn't in over its head in doing this, After all it was a Dauer prepped Porsche 962 which thanks to some regulation loopholes won the 1994 Le Mans 24 hours and then went on to building street legal versions of the 962 called the Dauer 962.

One of which was independently top speed tested and verified with a top speed of 251.4 mph in 1998 making it the fastest street legal production car at the time. :drool:

The Dauer EB110 was built to an even higher spec than the SS version, It was lighter thanks to more usage of Carbon Fibre and was even more powerful with 645hp or with the optional Sport exhaust and modified ECU an even crazier 705hp. :eek:

Bugatti these days is usually followed by the names of either 'Veryon' or 'Chiron', but both own their quad turbo insanity to the EB110.

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

I'm back on the beat,
Ready to raise the heat.

It's that time, Beater or Sleeper -
With a rhyme, this week's winner.

Here's the guy, full of joy
Applaud now for @Cowboy!

And while I flow,
What car's our beau?

I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN OH MY GOD 0/10

Cowboy
A classic truck, the...

942a7d1dcb182c0b779bcd4c5e59e831.jpg

It's the 1956 Ford F100!

This week's Time Trial, by request, is City Tour Sprint in Surfer's Paradise!

that's the last time I ever try to write a rap anywhere

This week will be extended by another week, on the fact that absolutely no one has attended this week...

Did my weak rap scare everyone off?

This week will be extended by another week, on the fact that absolutely no one has attended this week...

Did my weak rap scare everyone off?

I mean I'm not saying it was terrible, I've seen worse rap attempts, but I wouldn't quit your day job either. :D:lol:

But in all seriousness, it did slip my mind to do this as I've been focused on getting some quick times in for a few championships I'm in, but I'll be sure to put a time on the board. :P

The F100 is a sturdy, solid work vehicle. So let's go race it. What could possibly go wrong? Well, actually, not too much. This is Horizon after all. But skinny bias-ply tires and non-assisted drum brakes on every corner don't add up to a whole hell of a lot. Not even if the truck has recently been upgraded from flathead V-8 to OHV V-8. It's a slow, drifty, sluggish kind of a thing. I'm sure I could, with some patience and perseverance, shave a couple more seconds off that time, but why? It's perfect for farm work. It's completely out of its element in a big city corner to corner sprint race. Beater (as a race car). Sleeper (as a work vehicle).

IMG_0154.JPG

So the Ford F100, it's kinda similar to the Ford Woody Wagon we tested awhile back.

Had thin whitewall tyres, a low powered V8 and a top speed barely over a hundred miles an hour.

It wanted to unload the inside tyre everytime you went around a corner on the throttle, handled like jelly and hardly slowed down when you hit the brakes.

Of course a real mad man could build this into a competive car, but it's really more of a cruiser/work vehicle in which photograph takers and painters work their magic on to a very impressive degree. :drool:

As a Show car, It's a Sleeper and as i'm in a generous mood I'll give it a Netural verdict overall. ;)👍

Well...this week went weird.

Anyways, let's carry on! I've got a nice car for you lot, but first...standings.

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!
Vic Reign93: 4:10.317
Populuxe Cowboy: 4:31.705

What happened, Populuxe? You let the alien get 21 seconds on you. That's a full mile run down the Airstrip! :lol:

Anyways, this week's ride!

Congrats, @SLP950!

I am looking forward to seeing what he chose, and...

maxresdefault.jpg

It's the 1986 Lamborghini LM002!

This week's TT will take place at Redstone Mine Scramble in the Outback!

Does this Lamborghini deserve its obscurity, or is it a true sleeper?

I'm not sure if I get the original joke...
A few weekends ago, I took place in a running of the Queensland Off-Road Rebels Club. It's just a club for relaxed off-roading at a leisurely pace. It was my first time off-roading with them and I didn't have my headset. So I could listen, but not speak. At one point, we were near the Maroondah waterfall and we were going up a short but steep grass hill. Everyone made it up except the last car in line, the Lambo LM002. After a few minutes of listening to him struggle, I got out of line and ran to rescue him. My dead stock low-compression low-horsepower International Scout was able to push the mighty Lambo Rambo up the hill. The embarrassment to the Lambo driver was too much and he immediately switched to a Shelby Raptor. I honestly don't remember who was driving the Lambo, but considering who just gave me the side-eye, I can make a guess.

Last edited:
A few weekends ago, I took place in a running of the Queensland Off-Road Rebels Club. It's just a club for relaxed off-roading at a leisurely pace. It was my first time off-roading with them and I didn't have my headset. So I could listen, but not speak. At one point, we were near the Maroondah waterfall and we were going up a short but steep grass hill. Everyone made it up except the last car in line, the Lambo LM002. After a few minutes of listening to him struggle, I got out of line and ran to rescue him. My dead stock low-compression low-horsepower International Scout was able to push the mighty Lambo Rambo up the hill. The embarrassment to the Lambo driver was too much and he immediately switched to a Shelby Raptor. I honestly don't remember who was driving the Lambo, but considering who just gave me the side-eye, I can make a guess.
Ouch! That actually brings me to my comments about the LM002.

It's a big, sloshy SUV with nowhere near enough oomph for its purpose. The gears are also way too long, and it just takes forever and a half to get going.

All in all, a beater in stock form. However...Throw a twin turbo V12 and rally parts in it, and the thing is a beast in S1.

Back