Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

"What exactly is the purpose of the Sileighty?"

I ponder as I lean on the front fender of my Trueno, pop up lights up, shining on the 180SX rear of this mutated Nissan. Then my contacts hop in the AE86 and leave me with it. I can't really complain though...not as I run my fingers on that thick 90s paint.

12140586_174472102892756_5964889010689658435_n.jpg

The product of many a JDM-fanboy's whet dream.
I am very familiar with the S-Chassis. I've always liked their versatility, being able to balance daily driver and hard sports car in one package. Or should I say one of many different packages. With 180SX, 200SX, and 240SX hatches, convertibles, and coupes, and the ever-famous Silvia and its dozen different trim levels and available engines. The S-Chassis is like Taco Bell without the diarrhea: many different varieties on a single basic platform. Then there's this, the Sileighty, and it's lesser-known brother, the OneVia. The product of a Silvia nose on a 180SX (or a 180SX nose on a Silvia in the OneVia's case), made for those who didn't want the pop-ups (how dare they) or just simply liked the look better. But, the Sileighty/OneVia was never officially endorsed or built by Nissan, just by second hand tuning shops. Oh well, enough bickering...let's see how it gets on.

12107245_174470989559534_4124704286087338789_n.jpg

Not my style, but I can respect it.
Getting back to an S13 after some time feels like a refreshing experience. These cars run so smoothly and will never leave you without a smile on your face. Dip it into a corner and it'll come out with beautiful precision, no matter what engine you have inside. Luckily, the Sileighty is no different.

12107023_174471432892823_4609150152212072652_n.jpg

As I attacked my new go-to track for testing (those interested can find that here), the S13 opened up and showed me why it's so loved. It's no supercar, but it feels like one, piloting through corners like no one's business and opening up on a straight, making you feel like a pro-racer. No wonder these things outgunned Ferraris back when they were new. It's truly a masterpiece of a car.

12122659_174471506226149_8816778863126467511_n.jpg

Enough giggling and attempting to get it to drift, it's time to crack down on it. The Sileighty carved through the curves and bolted down the straights. Even the tighter stuff (including a hairpin turn and a blind jump near the end of the course) couldn't make me or the Sileighty back down. What an amazing car.

12108169_174471542892812_1338622534159745670_n.jpg

I felt like Schumacher or Senna as I powered down to the end of the line, and as the clock hit 3:36 (or the whereabouts), I didn't want to quit...no way. I needed more... Let's just do another lap...and another lap...and another...

12088301_174471612892805_5497165080210325434_n.jpg

Me? Done? No, I'm just getting started.

11148220_174471452892821_1179781528086102329_n.jpg

If there ever was a car more deserving of the sleeper moniker, this is it. The 90s truly were a special time for Japanese sports cars, with the likes of the FD RX-7s and Mark 4 Supras, and even this odd mixture of styles. It honestly leaves me on a sad note, though, knowing that people these days are turning S13s into Stancemobiles and completely ruining the fun characteristics they once had...why won't people learn?

12118809_174471729559460_2950986660879057496_n.jpg

Offtopic
Guys...any help? I want to talk (it's related to this) but my voice is just too laughable....everyone would think that i'm just a mentally ill kid...:P

Already i'm in editing stage and i'm just going to show you my ride before and after...

Before:
upload_2015-10-15_12-0-10.png

After:
upload_2015-10-15_11-58-55.png

I turned my 180SX with front swapped S13 into a "spooky drift machine"....a bad one...

EDIT: Bad News...The Video is cancelled...

Last edited:
Well I think it goes without saying that your Mt. Fusterkluc track SHOULD be the next Playing with TT's venue... that was way fun @McClarenDesign !!!

For those who have no clue of what I'm talking about, head over to your GT6 Community menu, choose Friends, find Mc and go to his Shared Tracks menu and save it. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

great job with Mt. Fusterkluc !!! I look forward to a few laps tonight

Mt. Fusterkluc absolutely lives up to its name!

Well, I liked Mt. Fusterkluc, it put a smile on my face and a huge dent in Corvetteklm's car lol

Tomorrow 3PM CST, be there

Or Tuesday 10pm CST.

MtFusterkluc2.jpg

On paper, the SilEighty should be an instant winner, a car that takes two iconic Nissan models and merges them into one. It has all the things you would expect of a car of it's ilk: reasonable power going to the rear wheels in a vehicle that's lean on the weight scale.

But off the blueprints and on the track I found the SilEighty difficult to get a feel for its handling. Going into the corner, the car tends to initially push a bit, tempting you to get more aggressive with steering and throttle inputs. But at a certain definite point, the car transitions from that initial understeer into "MAH REAR TIRES MUST DIE!!!!!!!" levels of oversteer and wheel smoke that will result in a crash if not perfectly reacted to. Racing against an entire field of these cars, a driver must add "Which way do I swerve when the guy ahead of me loses control?" among the many concerns he already faces in the course of competition.

Finally, I think there's another Nissan that does what the SilEighty does, except better. The '83 300ZX has similar attributes to the SilEighty, but it's transition from calm cornering to "drift mode" is far less abrupt and was also far easier to get back under control after the rear end had broken loose.

I almost hate to say it and I'm probably going to be in the minority this week, but I'm going to call the SilEighty a Beater for anything besides pure drifting purposes.

Well, that was what the car was meant to be originally, so honestly I wouldn't see anything wrong there. :P

Not to mention that the idea of hand-grafting a Silvia S13's front fascia to a 180SX was the idea of the drifting community altogether, as they discovered the advantages of doing so (lighter weight and cheaper repair costs compared to procuring matching 180SX parts)... It was born as a drift car, for drifters and appeared in a drifting-centric Japanese animated series. In the end, it should still be viewed as a street drifting car, first and foremost.

For better track refinement, you'll be better off with most FF Hondas; both the DC2 Integra Type R and the EP3 Civic Type R performed quite well all things considered, as some of you may have seen from my (average) driving yesterday. The Integra in particular, being a two-door 1990's coupe just like the Mix-eighty, is a very precise corner tool even with Comfort tires and can duel with the Sileighty in twisty tracks (again, @MidFieldMaven saw this in person through our battle at Laguna Seca) to great effect. If you can live with the extra weight, the FD2 Civic Type R is an even better driving tool for the Mix-eighty's class, it felt just right around the many corners of Mt. Fusterkluc...

Last edited:
I hope you can join us for future Saturday sessions, Maven, you have shown great skill behind the wheel (as expected from the artist formerly known as SuzukaStar, and the current Lord of Midfield), despite the lag issues which harmed some of your performances. :)👍

By the by, splendid pictures, good to see the moments which I couldn't capture myself due to suffering from a case of the Ted Thomas (cursed disconnections...), and the old Integra girl is looking lovely with the new coat of red and the TE37Ss which I used. The super close finish I had in the race is a COTW Moment of the Session for me, never thought I could make up the time deficit and beat you to the finish line, that was an exciting last stretch of racing. I thought that the Spoon Integra would be a tad better than the Mix-eighty when it came to perfomance, but the stiffer suspension makes it a less adaptable car for bumpy racetracks than the original product... It's better to just keep the credits to yourself and get a stock DC2 instead.

Back