Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

A small vessel for a big heart: ‘70 Chevrolet Nova SS

Well, it has been a long time indeed, gentlemen… Welcome to another happy-go-lucky edition of Niku’s COTW Reviews, where cars get abused, jokes get overused and “‘Murica” is the word of the day for us all this week, one week after the ecological disaster that was the Toyota Prius.

So, after missing out on racing the ghastly excuse for tree-saving in the Amazons, desperation was quickly piling up in my helpless self. The Prius is the ultimate antithesis of everything COTW strives, and not even the TC version could save the very little honor that the Prius could have after week 100. In an attempt to rescue my petrol head self from the jaws of ecology, I traveled to the country made famous by Elvis, Evel Knievel and Brad Mcclaren; the one and only United States of America. It was there that I met a doctor, who specialized in bringing stray souls back into the realm of car heaven. The name has been forgotten ever since, but I believe that he called himself “Foose” or something… Regardless, Dr. Foose was more than eager to help a fellow petrol head in need, and took me to his personal garage. It was there where he told me what the cure for my Prius-ache was;

“What you need right now is an injection of “Nova” in your life, son.”

tumblr_n1bxb4b6221rg89a6o1_500.jpg

…Nova? Oh lord, I have to travel to the darkest depths of professional wrestling to save myself!? That is what I thought at the time, until Dr. Foose assured me that I did not have to go to ECW to find my answer. He also told me that I was hallucinating and should probably stop watching professional wrestling so often, but that is more my fault than the Prius’s, in true honesty. However, I digress; after telling me this, he approached one of the cars sitting on the back of the garage, one covered in a black tarpaulin cover. Once the cover had been taken off, the true answer revealed itself;

City of Arts and Sciences - Night_3.jpg

1970 Chevrolet Nova SS. Codename: "Tuxedo Carmen"

Not a professional wrestler in the slightest, but he did pack quite the muscles; the Chevrolet Nova SS. Now, I have to tell you a little something, something about my personal life as a student somewhere between 5th and 8th grade at school; most are not aware of this, but that was the era when I was first introduced to the world of muscle cars. In classes where we young nippers worked with nothing but computers, most students spent their time going to websites which were far away from the idea of studying. You know the ones; Miniclip, YouTube, Hi5… Yes, Hi5 was still important at the time, which shows how old these memories are. Regardless, while others were playing Bubble Trouble and trying to beat the high score, I happened to stumble across a muscle car-centric website. Much like Dr. Foose’s full name, the name of this website is long gone within my memories, but I do know that it was an encyclopedia of sorts where most muscle cars had their lives documented. Not just Camaros or Mustangs had entries, as vehicles such as Chevrolet El Caminos or even AMC Gremlins also had the honor of having their rich lives described in detail by the website owner, model year after model year. And of course, one of these acclaimed muscle cars was the Nova, the car that would eventually become the topic of a PowerPoint presentation created by yours truly for school work. Being a wee nipper, the presentation was far from being professional; I still believed that stretching gif-type pictures to act as backgrounds was nifty, and adding songs would make the presentation so hip that everyone else would be in awe at my musical choices. By the time I actually presented my work, I had to take the song away from the presentation after realizing that music does tend to muffle your own voice when you are trying to present your points.

But in the end, the seed was planted; muscle cars became one of my main “love affairs” in the car world, with myself being in awe at the wild power wars waged by American companies, in a true game of “Can you top this” that car owners proudly promoted at traffic lights and drag strips across the wild lands of America. At the beginning of these wars, first waged by Pontiac and their Le Mans GTO, the young Nova was not exactly interested in fighting against the big boys. In fact, the Nova was not even known as a Nova in the first place; the car known as Chevy II had no initial intentions to live as a rebellious muscle car, as Chevrolet only wanted to steal away customers from Ford’s Falcon, the bird that would ironically lead to the creation of Ford’s legendary horse, the proud Mustang. For the Bow-Tie, the II was nothing more than a humble family car, which did not need the assistance of power junkies to sell in big numbers. But times change, and in the North American car market, those times can change quicker than a heartbeat.

Eifel_1.jpg

Fast forward to 1968; the II had dropped its numerical namesake, and grew in size both in body and inner muscle. But the best had yet to come, and Chevrolet created the Nova that power junkies dreamed of; the Super Sport. Yes, the Super Sport (or SS for short) was already a factory option for Novas since 1963, but the 1968 model was the very first Nova to include those legendary two words;

“Big-block engine”.

The toughest block on the block, as Chevrolet proudly advertised, soon became a well-known secret once word of mouth traveled across the muscle car scene. The process of purchasing a big-block Nova SS was a complex one, as most salesmen were simply not aware of its existence, but eventually grew to a point where many die-hard muscle car fans were vying to get their own piece of small brute force. And it was one heck of a brute force; with 350 and 375 hp options, the SS’s big-block V8 was a heart that far outgrew the Nova’s small (in comparison with its bigger counterparts, that is) body. Soon, the Nova SS went from “mystery small-numbers option” to “the option that everyone wanted”, with sales quickly rising from three digit numbers to over 3,000 L78-powered models sold in 1970. Despite the existence of a tamer option, most owners skipped it over in favor of the “loud & proud” L78 version, wanting nothing but the Nova’s ultimate Q-car form.

But enough of the history lesson; I am sure that most want to know what made the Nova SS so special, in a world where large-sized cars ruled the drag strips at their own leisure. Well my esteemed friends, let us take the Nova to an uncommon place to see why, shall we?

Eifel.jpg

My word, it is a track with corners! (It is actually the Portimão track, courtesy of PSN member Patrick8308. Be sure to give it a try when you can…) Of course, that infamous sentence represents the classic stereotype of many foreigners who saw muscle cars as “compensation weapons” owned by men who wanted to prove their manhood, but also men who were scared to take their testosterone to roads with curves because their chariots were literal chariots. Chariots in the sense that the suspensions were powered by leaf springs, and where the shocks’ settings ranged from “soft” to “I’m about to roll the car over, my god”. Needless to say, they were somewhat right… Except that in the Nova’s case, it can be driven through corners. Shocking, I know. But why is it so drivable in a place where most muscle cars are terrifying to drive? It still has all the components that made those cars nigh on unbearable to drive; leaf springs, soft suspension, and a 4-speed gearbox that will eventually top out, causing the car to jitter all over the track… It should not be this pleasant, and yet the Nova is just that. By all accounts, it should have forced me into the pit lanes after two corners of awfulness through sheer drive rage, but the Nova remained spunky yet entertaining throughout the entirety of Portimão.

In straights, it is a furious typhoon disguised as a small cloud, and in the corners it is a shockingly stable piece of kit; the Nova fights against the very same stereotype its class represents, and fights it with very capable skill. The rear only steps out if the driver forces the rear to do so, either by putting even more power down through the corner or by using the steering to set the oversteer reaction off. Another key component to the Nova’s smooth(er) ride lies in its handling; while most muscle cars weight nearly 4000 lbs., the Nova drops down to the 3500 lbs. mark with a weight distribution of 54:46. Yes, it is still a nose-heavy car, but the Nova does not carry over an anvil over the front end like its rivals do, meaning that it far easier to keep the Nova pointing straight when you need it to. And the engine behaves as you would expect; the four gears are limited, but they are close enough to keep the engine running in the absolute highest power band at all times. And what an engine that L78 is… The sound, per usual PD standards, fails in matching the grumble and raw force of the real-life version, but the performance itself is nothing to scoff at. The tires keep on screeching under the weight, but they rarely step out of line even under all the stress of Portimão’s ups and downs. This is what the Nova does best; shatter most muscle car stereotypes to pieces while being an incredibly competent sports car at the same time.

Going by what it presents, it should be an absolute failure at most racing tracks, but instead the Nova delivers a whole new outlook into the world of muscle cars. A proof of lightness, a proof of power, and above all else, a proof of fun. Chevrolet still believes in this as well; in the recent SEMA show, the Bow-Tie attached a brand new 2.0-litre turbocharged ECOTEC engine to an old 1968 Nova shell, to prove how far four-bangers have progressed since the “1970 Power Wars”. Do you see this, Prius? If you want me to help the Amazon forest, you need to behave like the Nova. You need to rebel against the system, because in the end, the villain can still be the popular character in this show… While the Prius is a big car with a small heart, the Nova continues to search for hearts that are larger than life…

…as well as its own body.

Death Valley.jpg

Best:
  • Injects fresh life in Gran Turismo's average muscle car list;
  • Shockingly stable behavior, easy to wrestle around tracks;
  • Grunt that outruns 1969 Camaros in a straight line.
Worst:
  • Brakes need some care when the braking becomes stiffer;
  • Lack of exterior customization parts hurts its appeal;
  • There are still muscle cars that can cause problems by being faster than the Nova on the quarter-mile...
Final Veredict: Sleeper; the Nova does what the Prius couldn't. It is fun, it is powerful, and it warps the sterotypes that are usually launched at its counterparts. This is indeed one of America's best Q-cars in the muscle car world...

A small vessel for a big heart: ‘70 Chevrolet Nova SS

Well, it has been a long time indeed, gentlemen… Welcome to another happy-go-lucky edition of Niku’s COTW Reviews, where cars get abused, jokes get overused and “‘Murica” is the word of the day for us all this week, one week after the ecological disaster that was the Toyota Prius.

So, after missing out on racing the ghastly excuse for tree-saving in the Amazons, desperation was quickly piling up in my helpless self. The Prius is the ultimate antithesis of everything COTW strives, and not even the TC version could save the very little honor that the Prius could have after week 100. In an attempt to rescue my petrol head self from the jaws of ecology, I traveled to the country made famous by Elvis, Evel Knievel and Brad Mcclaren; the one and only United States of America. It was there that I met a doctor, who specialized in bringing stray souls back into the realm of car heaven. The name has been forgotten ever since, but I believe that he called himself “Foose” or something… Regardless, Dr. Foose was more than eager to help a fellow petrol head in need, and took me to his personal garage. It was there where he told me what the cure for my Prius-ache was;

“What you need right now is an injection of “Nova” in your life, son.”

tumblr_n1bxb4b6221rg89a6o1_500.jpg

…Nova? Oh lord, I have to travel to the darkest depths of professional wrestling to save myself!? That is what I thought at the time, until Dr. Foose assured me that I did not have to go to ECW to find my answer. He also told me that I was hallucinating and should probably stop watching professional wrestling so often, but that is more my fault than the Prius’s, in true honesty. However, I digress; after telling me this, he approached one of the cars sitting on the back of the garage, one covered in a black tarpaulin cover. Once the cover had been taken off, the true answer revealed itself;

View attachment 493418
1970 Chevrolet Nova SS. Codename: "Tuxedo Carmen"

Not a professional wrestler in the slightest, but he did pack quite the muscles; the Chevrolet Nova SS. Now, I have to tell you a little something, something about my personal life as a student somewhere between 5th and 8th grade at school; most are not aware of this, but that was the era when I was first introduced to the world of muscle cars. In classes where we young nippers worked with nothing but computers, most students spent their time going to websites which were far away from the idea of studying. You know the ones; Miniclip, YouTube, Hi5… Yes, Hi5 was still important at the time, which shows how old these memories are. Regardless, while others were playing Bubble Trouble and trying to beat the high score, I happened to stumble across a muscle car-centric website. Much like Dr. Foose’s full name, the name of this website is long gone within my memories, but I do know that it was an encyclopedia of sorts where most muscle cars had their lives documented. Not just Camaros or Mustangs had entries, as vehicles such as Chevrolet El Caminos or even AMC Gremlins also had the honor of having their rich lives described in detail by the website owner, model year after model year. And of course, one of these acclaimed muscle cars was the Nova, the car that would eventually become the topic of a PowerPoint presentation created by yours truly for school work. Being a wee nipper, the presentation was far from being professional; I still believed that stretching gif-type pictures to act as backgrounds was nifty, and adding songs would make the presentation so hip that everyone else would be in awe at my musical choices. By the time I actually presented my work, I had to take the song away from the presentation after realizing that music does tend to muffle your own voice when you are trying to present your points.

But in the end, the seed was planted; muscle cars became one of my main “love affairs” in the car world, with myself being in awe at the wild power wars waged by American companies, in a true game of “Can you top this” that car owners proudly promoted at traffic lights and drag strips across the wild lands of America. At the beginning of these wars, first waged by Pontiac and their Le Mans GTO, the young Nova was not exactly interested in fighting against the big boys. In fact, the Nova was not even known as a Nova in the first place; the car known as Chevy II had no initial intentions to live as a rebellious muscle car, as Chevrolet only wanted to steal away customers from Ford’s Falcon, the bird that would ironically lead to the creation of Ford’s legendary horse, the proud Mustang. For the Bow-Tie, the II was nothing more than a humble family car, which did not need the assistance of power junkies to sell in big numbers. But times change, and in the North American car market, those times can change quicker than a heartbeat.

View attachment 493415

Fast forward to 1968; the II had dropped its numerical namesake, and grew in size both in body and inner muscle. But the best had yet to come, and Chevrolet created the Nova that power junkies dreamed of; the Super Sport. Yes, the Super Sport (or SS for short) was already a factory option for Novas since 1963, but the 1968 model was the very first Nova to include those legendary two words;

“Big-block engine”.

The toughest block on the block, as Chevrolet proudly advertised, soon became a well-known secret once word of mouth traveled across the muscle car scene. The process of purchasing a big-block Nova SS was a complex one, as most salesmen were simply not aware of its existence, but eventually grew to a point where many die-hard muscle car fans were vying to get their own piece of small brute force. And it was one heck of a brute force; with 350 and 375 hp options, the SS’s big-block V8 was a heart that far outgrew the Nova’s small (in comparison with its bigger counterparts, that is) body. Soon, the Nova SS went from “mystery small-numbers option” to “the option that everyone wanted”, with sales quickly rising from three digit numbers to over 3,000 L78-powered models sold in 1970. Despite the existence of a tamer option, most owners skipped it over in favor of the “loud & proud” L78 version, wanting nothing but the Nova’s ultimate Q-car form.

But enough of the history lesson; I am sure that most want to know what made the Nova SS so special, in a world where large-sized cars ruled the drag strips at their own leisure. Well my esteemed friends, let us take the Nova to an uncommon place to see why, shall we?

View attachment 493416

My word, it is a track with corners! (It is actually the Portimão track, courtesy of PSN member Patrick8308. Be sure to give it a try when you can…) Of course, that infamous sentence represents the classic stereotype of many foreigners who saw muscle cars as “compensation weapons” owned by men who wanted to prove their manhood, but also men who were scared to take their testosterone to roads with curves because their chariots were literal chariots. Chariots in the sense that the suspensions were powered by leaf springs, and where the shocks’ settings ranged from “soft” to “I’m about to roll the car over, my god”. Needless to say, they were somewhat right… Except that in the Nova’s case, it can be driven through corners. Shocking, I know. But why is it so drivable in a place where most muscle cars are terrifying to drive? It still has all the components that made those cars nigh on unbearable to drive; leaf springs, soft suspension, and a 4-speed gearbox that will eventually top out, causing the car to jitter all over the track… It should not be this pleasant, and yet the Nova is just that. By all accounts, it should have forced me into the pit lanes after two corners of awfulness through sheer drive rage, but the Nova remained spunky yet entertaining throughout the entirety of Portimão.

In straights, it is a furious typhoon disguised as a small cloud, and in the corners it is a shockingly stable piece of kit; the Nova fights against the very same stereotype its class represents, and fights it with very capable skill. The rear only steps out if the driver forces the rear to do so, either by putting even more power down through the corner or by using the steering to set the oversteer reaction off. Another key component to the Nova’s smooth(er) ride lies in its handling; while most muscle cars weight nearly 4000 lbs., the Nova drops down to the 3500 lbs. mark with a weight distribution of 54:46. Yes, it is still a nose-heavy car, but the Nova does not carry over an anvil over the front end like its rivals do, meaning that it far easier to keep the Nova pointing straight when you need it to. And the engine behaves as you would expect; the four gears are limited, but they are close enough to keep the engine running in the absolute highest power band at all times. And what an engine that L78 is… The sound, per usual PD standards, fails in matching the grumble and raw force of the real-life version, but the performance itself is nothing to scoff at. The tires keep on screeching under the weight, but they rarely step out of line even under all the stress of Portimão’s ups and downs. This is what the Nova does best; shatter most muscle car stereotypes to pieces while being an incredibly competent sports car at the same time.

Going by what it presents, it should be an absolute failure at most racing tracks, but instead the Nova delivers a whole new outlook into the world of muscle cars. A proof of lightness, a proof of power, and above all else, a proof of fun. Chevrolet still believes in this as well; in the recent SEMA show, the Bow-Tie attached a brand new 2.0-litre turbocharged ECOTEC engine to an old 1968 Nova shell, to prove how far four-bangers have progressed since the “1970 Power Wars”. Do you see this, Prius? If you want me to help the Amazon forest, you need to behave like the Nova. You need to rebel against the system, because in the end, the villain can still be the popular character in this show… While the Prius is a big car with a small heart, the Nova continues to search for hearts that are larger than life…

…as well as its own body.

View attachment 493417

Best:
  • Injects fresh life in Gran Turismo's average muscle car list;
  • Shockingly stable behavior, easy to wrestle around tracks;
  • Grunt that outruns 1969 Camaros in a straight line.
Worst:
  • Brakes need some care when the braking becomes stiffer;
  • Lack of exterior customization parts hurts its appeal;
  • There are still muscle cars that can cause problems by being faster than the Nova on the quarter-mile...
Final Veredict: Sleeper; the Nova does what the Prius couldn't. It is fun, it is powerful, and it warps the sterotypes that are usually launched at its counterparts. This is indeed one of America's best Q-cars in the muscle car world...

I love this car, but I miss the chrome parts for exempel around the windows and so on :(

Chevrolet Nova SS '70
6.6L
374 hp / 5,500 rpm
416 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,590 kg (3,505 lbs)
467 pp

Best lap at Mid-Field on Comfort Softs:

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:24.765 - 459 - Holden Monaro CV8 '04
1:24.775 - 470 - Chevrolet Corvette StingRay Racer Concept '59
1:24.784 - 460 - Chevrolet Camaro SS '00
1:24.804 - 448 - TVR V8S '91
1:24.815 - 452 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version IV '97
1:24.831 - 426 - Mugen S2000 '00
1:24.853 - 455 - Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3) '69
1:24.873 - 434 - Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac '01
1:24.902 - 434 - Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (AE86 Shuichi Shigeno Version) '00
1:24.931 - 419 - Hyundai HCD-6 '01
1:24.939 - 456 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII GT-A '02
1:24.963 - 425 - Lotus Esprit Turbo HC '87
1:24.975 - 435 - Ford Focus RS '02
1:24.980 - 435 - Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) '83
1:24.986 - 434 - Mazda Éfini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91
1:24.994 - 423 - Opel Speedster Turbo '00
1:25.028 - 433 - Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02
1:25.080 - 450 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69
1:25.108 - 427 - Renault Sport Clio V6 24V '00
1:25.126 - 450 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version III '96
1:25.171 - 472 - Lotus Carlton '90
1:25.180 - 465 - Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L46 350 (C3) '69
1:25.191 - 455 - Honda Civic Type R (EK) Touring Car '97
1:25.228 - 454 - Shelby GT350 '65
1:25.259 - 467 - Chevrolet Nova SS '70
1:25.310 - 449 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR '05
1:25.358 - 424 - Lotus Elise 111S '03
1:25.388 - 439 - Nissan Skyline Coupe 350GT '03
1:25.413 - 413 - Ferrari Dino 246 GT '71
1:25.420 - 435 - Volkswagen Scirocco R '10
1:25.433 - 455 - Shelby GT350R '65
1:25.446 - 463 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR P.P. '07
1:25.448 - 465 - Audi S4 '03
1:25.485 - 450 - Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP '06
1:25.523 - 445 - Mercedes-Benz SL 500 (R230) '02
1:25.530 - 456 - Tom's X540 Chaser '00
1:25.590 - 450 - Subaru Legacy B4 2.0GT Spec.B '03
1:25.611 - 456 - Chrysler 300C '05
1:25.623 - 442 - Honda CR-Z Touring Car
1:25.654 - 433 - Acura NSX '91
1:25.660 - 468 - Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe '04
1:25.661 - 438 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi '94
1:25.662 - 441 - Nismo 270R '94
1:25.702 - 433 - Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero (S15) '02
1:25.715 - 428 - Honda S2000 '99
1:25.723 - 447 - Subaru Legacy B4 2.0GT '03
1:25.733 - 492 - Tesla Model S Signature Performance '12

It's as quick 'round Mid-Field as the Shelby GT350's, Camaro Z28 '69, Ferrari Dino, and C3 Corvettes.

Definite sleeper. I did not expect the Nova to be on the same level as these cars.

The ultimate proof of how surprisingly good the Nova is; matching a much more modern Civic racing car, while using leaf springs and a four-speed gearbox. No wonder our races last night were so agressive and furious, this car truly embodies the NASCAR spirit without even ever gracing the NASCAR ovals...

I'm afraid that next week will not be as exciting, let's just say that my hunch is telling me about "fish & chips" for some strange reason.

As long as it goes faster than the Canadian highway speed limit, I don't care. Bring it on.

Bold words, sir Canadian, much like the ones your compatriot Baron Blitz Red spoke yesterday... It seems that Canadia land gives birth to daring folks such as yourself and Baron, let's see how will you handle your next challenge.

A little bird has told me that while next week's car is indeed faster than the Canadian speed limit, it will also require a lot more effort to go sideways...

...let's just say that my hunch is telling me about "fish & chips" for some strange reason.

Congratulations Niku Driver HC! Much like Eric Snowden, you are now under investigation for passing classified documents to unauthorized individuals. But before you flee the country, would you mind passing the vinegar?

Woah wait, I have been chosen out of the blue like this? Is it indeed my "Last Christmas"...? All this generosity is mighty kind of you, sir.

Or it would have been, had I known that you couldn't keep a secret. Shouldn't you be booking a last-minute flight to a third-world country right about now? And with the holidays around the corner, that's gotta be expensive.

Well then, I shall go back to Japan to present my choice for this week...

...got you, I am not going down that path, it would be too easy. Both as a joke and as a personal choice.

Let us instead go to the land of Kettle Chips, the Big Ben and Simon Cowell, a land which was once one of the tops dogs in the motoring industry... until the Chinese came in, that is;

Everyone, sing it with me! - "Where in the world is Niku Sandiego?"

Kerrie%20Taylor.jpg

It's the 2003 MG TF160! It's also probably been financed with a high interest rate, at least judging from the salesman's smug grin.

Already comes with a free woman to help you gain some credibility. That "Made in China" tag will be hard to shake off otherwise...

Um, I don't think it works like that, regardless of the finance rate. Wait, did you buy the car from a Mexican drug lord or ISIS? Shortly after they were purchased by the Chinese, they announced that their North American headquarters would be where I am, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. What the press heard was that a plant would soon be in the works. What the press didn't do was fact check. The new owners had only authorized an office building, there would be no plant, the cars would be imported. Then the deal imploded days later, because WHO WANTS TO LIVE IN OKLAHOMA?!

Congrats also go to @Vic Reign93, who is also under investigation for exchanging his everlasting soul for a time of 1:40.962 without prior consent from the FIA. Truly a costly oversight. This week's "Playing With TTs!" event is at BRNO, courtesy of cocoflowa, which is either a cocaine reference or the next rapper exported by New Zealand.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

A Carmen Sandiego reference for me? McClaren, you're too kind. You also can't have me extracted to a third-world country, because much like the villain in "Lethal Weapon", I have learned about the wonders of diplomatic immunity... :P

Also, nice choice of picture, British GTP members (cough @Vic Reign93 cough) shall recognize the evil foe that slayed MG Rover and left it for dead, the same foe that put the group in the hands of the Chinese;

Phoenix...

I also remember saying that we almost had an English car for my pick last week... care to guess which one I had in mind???

Cheers

Well this is just too ironic, my esteemed Canadian friend... I never thought that my choice was in fact the same one as yours, wise minds do think alike after all. Perhaps you can choose the TF's ancestor, the MG F, when your time comes... :sly:

Nice red, it's just a shame about the poor graphical detailing on the car... Is that red the blood we dropped during those Nova races, I wonder...? :sly: :lol:

Time for another half-arsed review from me. I'll post one later when I'm done laughing at Niku's car choice. :lol:

Good to know that my choice has some sense of humor, although hearing such a thing is somewhat unexpected. But the car may actually surprise you in a good way, once you get past the oxygen shortage from excessive laughing... ;)

The Turducken Review...

Tis the season for lots of tasty treats and just like the aforementioned feast, this review is also 3 in 1. ;) First up, @McClarenDesign served up most everybody's least favourite part of the meal, the dreaded veggies... also known as:

The "Are We There Yet?!?" vehicle.

V4gYeSu.jpg

Quite similar to brussel sprouts, asparagus and boiled spinach, this thing will be the last thing to be looked at let alone touched on most kid's plates. It's so slow, the only use for it in GT6 is to find out just how many people are doing the latest Seasonal Super Lap event that it would qualify for.

There's no sense beating around the bush, this thing is a B E A T E R... and it might even win an award for it.

Getting closer to the main course, it's time to break out the partially charged cordless electric carving knives. Otherwise known as the Prius.

seFKB5h.jpg

Made famous by Jason Bateman in Horrible Bosses, the unbelievable drag racing potential of the road car version leaves most victims with whiplash... especially if those victims just got out of the VW bus. The Prius achieves light speed in comparison to that thing. It's also the perfect vehicle to gather your thoughts... race starts begin with pin drop silence even with a full grid.

The road car gets a Beater status from me while the Touring Car edition gets a Neutral status due to the fact that its handling is way above par, yet there's nothing to compare it to that could knock it off the pedestal it sits on.

Ahh yes, finally we get to the Main Course...

zhPgRUB.jpg

Just like the Turducken, it has 3 of the best things to get driver's mouths watering... Power, Handling and Sound. I do realise that after the 2 picks beforehand, people would drool over pretty much anything that had more than hamsters pushing the car, but the Nova lived up to muscle car expectations, and I dare say, surpassed them.

Sleeper status!!! Which also makes me have a batting average of 1.000 for picking good cars this year. :lol:

Cheers

Last edited:
Obelisk's half-arsed review!
Week 2: MG TF 160

1. No.

2. Ok, it drives ok.

3. Wow. Such car.

???

Profit.

All stupidity aside, the MG TF's a surprisngly fun little car. It holds on to the road quite well - I almost thought it was FF at a few points. But honestly, 160 HP isn't much and it didn't go faster than 106 MPH on the TT track.

This week, I have to say sleeper. Now, to paint mine an ugly color, put oversized wheels on it, and massive camber. (In other words, rice it).

P.S.
It's faster than that chicken dinner @McClarenDesign still owes me. I'm watching you, MCD!

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel that the gear ratios are too long for the amount of power the TF160 has. Feels like there's very little pull in 4th gear, and pretty much none at all in 5th. I know this thing is meant for cruising, as all convertibles like these are, but it's kind of an annoyance. :\

I have to agree it looks quite good though, and it sounds alright. I also had no idea this car was an MR car. So there's that.

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel that the gear ratios are too long for the amount of power the TF160 has. Feels like there's very little pull in 4th gear, and pretty much none at all in 5th. I know this thing is meant for cruising, as all convertibles like these are, but it's kind of an annoyance. :\

I have to agree it looks quite good though, and it sounds alright. I also had no idea this car was an MR car. So there's that.

It doesn't help it that the TF's engine lacks spunk; it is a naturally-aspirated engine, but not in the sense that it goes through the early revs quickly and ends with a bang near the redline, it's more relaxed in its power delivery. Great for crusing, but not so good when you want to thrash it at a mountain range. Rover's VVC system is decent, but it is no VTEC...

And yes, both the TF and its older brother, the F, are MR. Although the TF doesn't show that straight away, it has a good poker face for that king of thing.

She Sells Sanctuary

It's admittedly been a long weekend for me. Apart from preparing for the holidays and setting up dates to meet the family, I also had a seasonal race at Death Valley in the states. Old-fashioned American race cars. Time to bring out the trustworthy Chaparral 2J. However, silly me didn't take into account that it was 10 laps long, and the 2J drinks fuel like water. Long story short: I was doing well for the first five laps, and I pitted after the halfway point, but on the second half, I just straight sucked it up. I eventually came in fifth...and my poor old 2J looked like this.

10292149_201845866822046_9109753314651012855_n.jpg

I was so happy that this weekend was over. But, I had forgotten, I've also got to review a car for the Beater or Sleeper crowd. So...into the Miata we go to pick up this week's car of choice: The MG TF160.

1935430_201846253488674_2806848007970576638_n.jpg

Upon first glance, there's no denying that the TF160 is a product of the late-1990s roadster boom. The same one that gave us cars like the second-generation MX-5, the S2000, and the MR-2 Spyder, as well as the lesser known choices such as the Fiat Barchetta and Alfa Romeo Spyder. I think, however, that this TF160 probably takes the cake for the most forgotten roadster, which is honestly a shame, because it's one of only two roadsters from that boom with a mid-engined, rear-wheel drive layout. The only other was the MR-2 Spyder.

12376042_201846203488679_1712163799737420369_n.jpg

The only reason I can come up with for this car's relative forgettability is the fact that MG really hasn't been very popular or relevant in the world since the death of its ever-popular B roadster and B GT coupe of the 1970s. After that was gone, it seemed that no one outside of the hardcore devotees of MG really cared. And so, the world really just let the MG brand slip from the collective minds of the sports car hive, and this car, along with the RV8, absolutely smashing XPower SV, and ZT Sports Sedan were all a fragment of relevancy in the early 2000s. Shameful really.

12369032_201846303488669_1489922247676298939_n.jpg

While I could sit here and lament all evening long about how the world screwed over MG and that's why they're reduced to building crappy little Chinese econoboxes nowadays, there's driving to be done. So, let's get on with it.

1926790_201845953488704_2541647416769094396_n.jpg

The first and most prevalent thing that must be said about the TF160 is its kind of underpowered driving dynamics. I suppose I can't really complain, considering it only has 160 horsepower to go with, but I don't think many stock Miatas feel so sluggish down a straight. It's not really a deal killer for me, but some extra power would definitely benefit in this little machine.

12376072_201845970155369_8705618463490460108_n.jpg

However, all qualms about power and speed are immediately forgotten when you begin to flick it around a corner. My god, does this thing handle well, and it's easy to think of as to why. The lightness and small size really work well for it, and while it isn't exactly as precisely balanced as an MX-5, it isn't as wild and outlandish as a Lotus Elise or similar. It kinda gets somewhere in a middle ground kind of like the S2000 does for me. I quite like that.

1934217_201845903488709_1604711090841351201_n.jpg

If I did notice one issue with its handling pattern, it's the fact that it's kinda prone to understeer a bit if driven hard. On a couple of lap trials, I tended to push it a bit, going full out into a corner to see what would happen, and for me, it almost went off the track in the style of any AWD car would. It definitely doesn't like to be pushed, so don't try it unless you want to eat guard rail.

10299083_201846123488687_1792583586905253052_n.jpg

After a few laps I managed to grab a laptime of 3:42.160, which is the slowest lap I've ever managed in a car. But am I mad? Nope...not at all. Honestly, the TF160 just kinda feels like a safe place for me. It's a car that will greet you with a cute look and give you the best time it could. It really makes me sad that this sweet little thing has been largely forgotten by the masses, because, honestly, it's got everything you would ever need in a small roadster. It's unique, it's fast, it's good-looking, and it's fun to drive. So fun to drive that I eventually did the inevitable...I entered it into a race.

Now, this race was a bit tricky, because the TF160 was far down below the regulations of this race. The cars were likened to around 500 on this new-fangled Performance Point system that tracks use these days, and the TF160 barely cracked 400. So, after some slight stripping of the weight and some engine upgrades, we were set, and there was a MASSIVE difference.

12400879_201846423488657_2792778416833675194_n.jpg

Something inside the TF160 changed after the modifications. It was faster, it was nippier around a corner. It seemed that with this small tune, every problem that the car had just...disappeared. The TF160 soon became a race ready monster roadster, and I was leading this pack of amateurs in no time. It was a great old time.

10552533_201846356821997_3566323822776283774_n.jpg

Such a happy little car, that TF160. Just like the Nova last week for any muscle car races, you're now a go-to for the roadster races.

1934775_201846160155350_8175336727715854022_n.jpg

The Verdict
I've never been so positive about a car receiving a sleeper status as this noble little British roadster. It doesn't look as happy as an MX-5, but it sure feels that way. I entered this test as angry as a hornet's nest, and I left soothed and relaxed, like I'd been in some British spa somewhere. A cute little British spa. With a blue cloth top. I'm in love.

3452_201845826822050_8230270004367142610_n.jpg

Please come back to the light side of things, MG. We need you.

It's admittedly been a long weekend for me. Apart from preparing for the holidays and setting up dates to meet the family, I also had a seasonal race at Death Valley in the states. Old-fashioned American race cars. Time to bring out the trustworthy Chaparral 2J. However, silly me didn't take into account that it was 10 laps long, and the 2J drinks fuel like water. Long story short: I was doing well for the first five laps, and I pitted after the halfway point, but on the second half, I just straight sucked it up. I eventually came in fifth...and my poor old 2J looked like this.
Next time use the deltawing, trust me, it will kick asses like nobody! :bowdown:

I've been wanting a muscle car again for quite a while, a desire that was only increased with the horrid Sambabus and Prius back-to-back. Finally, we not only got a muscle car, but an excellent muscle car to boot.

The Nova has that aggressive and menacing look that exemplify American cars of that era, and the beautiful noise of a GM V-8. However, what really makes the car special is that these attributes are stuffed in a relatively small and light car, which heavily contributes to the Nova's ability to handle tough and twisty corners that would send Dodge Challengers scrambling back to the drag strip.

But perhaps my favorite aspect of this car comes down to the tires. More specifically, how quickly you can turn them into a monument to burnt rubber. While I find that many "drift cars" are far too twitchy and liable to just spin out, the Nova I could throw into a massive powerslide, smoke the tires all the way through a corner, and then bring it back out while still feeling in complete control of the car. Even when I found myself running last at Suzuka during the final heat of the night on Comfort Softs, I didn't care one bit, because I was having too much fun sliding my way through the race.

Of course, I was on Comfort Softs because I had taken this Sleeper to what's now my favorite win in COTW competition just previously. :)

"Eat your heart out, Richard Petty."

I'd like to invite everyone in the COTW thread to try out a different style of racing, especially @McClarenDesign (I expect a video if you try it out lol).

The race rules were provided to us generously by the Hajime Racers event, and particularly @KazaMR2 who set up the rules and regulations.

The race type is high-speed street racing on SSR7, otherwise referred to as Wangan racing.

The class spec is 470 HP max, 1100 KG minimum and an expected top speed of about 200-204.

There are a huge number of cars that needed special power/weight ratios to fit in. Here they are:

Acura NSX - 400hp/1,420kg
Aston Martin V12 Vantage - 480hp/1400kg
Audi R8 4.2 FSI R Tronic ‘07 - 440hp/1,610kg
Audi RS6 Avant ‘08 - 450hp/1,600kg
BMW 135i Coupe ‘07 - 475hp/1,475kg
BMW M4 Coupe - 450hp/1,525kg
BMW M5 ‘08 - 470hp/1,740kg
Buick Special '62 - 430hp/1,117kg
Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z ‘88 - 450hp/1,300kg
Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 ‘70 - 550hp/1,306kg
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 ‘14 - 405hp/1,530kg
Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 C4 ‘90 - 430hp/1,600kg
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 C5 ‘04 - 415hp/1,415kg
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 C6 ‘06 -410hp/1,450kg
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 C6 ‘09 - 455hp/1530kg
Chevrolet Silverado SST ‘02 - 600hp/1,890kg
Chevrolet Nova SS ‘70 - 540hp/1,277kg
DMC DeLorean '04 - 420hp/1,360kg
Dodge Charger SRT8 ‘11 - 470hp/1,520kg
Dodge Neon SRT-4 '03 - 450hp/1,370kg
Dodge Viper GTS ‘02 - 450hp/1,580kg
Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe ‘06 -500hp/1,430kg
Dodge Viper '13 - 425hp/1,510kg
Dome Zero ‘78 - 300hp/1,120kg
Ferrari 430 Scuderia ‘07 - 420hp/1,440kg
Ferrari 458 Italia ‘09 - 410hp/1,410kg
Ferrari 512BB '76 - 430hp/1,600kg
Ferrari F40 ‘92 - 430hp/1,400kg
Ferrari GTO ‘84 - 420hp/1,360kg
Ford GT40 MK1 '66 - 355hp/1,280kg
Ford Mustang Mach 1 ‘71 - 450hp/1,500kg
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R ‘00 -440hp/1,600kg
Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium ‘07 - 470hp/1,560kg
Honda NSX Type R '02 - 400hp / 1,455kg
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track ‘13 - 460hp/1,570kg
Jaguar S-Type R ‘02 - 435hp/1,500kg
Lamborghini Countach LP400 ‘74 -400hp/1,265kg
Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary '88: 440hp / 1,550kg
Lamborghini Miura P400 (Proto) ‘67: 300hp/1,180kg
Lexus IS F '07 - 430hp/1,634kg
Lexus LFA ‘10 - 440hp/1,620kg
Lotus Esprit Turbo HC ‘87 - 380hp/1,340kg
Lotus Esprit V8 ‘02 - 400hp/1,490kg
Lotus Evora '09 - 410hp/1,130kg
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG ‘08 - 490hp/1,560kg
Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG '02 - 470hp/1,450kg
Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG R230 ‘02 - 490hp/1,975kg
Mazda Roadster RS (NC) ‘07 - 397hp/930kg
Mazda RX7 FC GT-X (FC) ‘90 - 450hp/1,290kg
Mazda RX7 FD efini '91 - 440hp/1,330kg
Mazda RX7 FD Type A '02 - 420hp/1,465kg
Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT ‘98 - 430hp/1,500kg
Mine's Lancer EVO VI ‘XX - 470hp/1,115kg
Mugen S2000 ‘00 - 460hp/1,150kg
Nissan 200SX/Silvia K's AERO (S14) ‘96 - 425hp/1,350kg
Nismo 270R ‘94 - 400hp/1,430kg
Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) ‘07 - 410hp/1,560kg
Nissan GTR R35 - 470hp/1,800kg
Nissan Sileighty ‘98 - 390hp/1,370kg
Nissan Skyline R32 V-spec II (R32) '94 - 460hp/1,430kg
Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec II Nur (R34) ‘02- 470hp/1,265kg
Nissan 300ZX 2seater (Z32) ‘98 - 450hp/1,600kg
Nissan Z 300ZX Z31 '83 - 410hp /1450kg
Oullim Spirra Prototype ’04 - 410hp/1,270kg
Plymouth Superbird ‘70 - 550hp/1,320kg
Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster ‘60 - 400hp/1,700kg
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am ‘78 -440hp/1,320kg
RUF 3400S ‘00 - 450hp/1,400kg
RUF CTR2 ‘96 - 460hp/1,500kg
RUF RGT ‘00 - 400hp/1,530kg
RUF Yellowbird/BTR - 470hp/1350kg
Shelby Cobra 427 ‘66 - 440hp/1,240kg
Shelby GT350 '65 - 400hp/1,330kg
Shelby Series 1 '03 - 400hp/1,400kg
Spyker C8 Laviolette ‘01 - 400hp/1,270kg
Tommy Kaira ZZ-S ‘00 - 353hp/690kg
Tom's X540 Chaser '00 - 460hp/1,310kg
Toyota Aristo 3.0V ‘91 - 430hp/1,600kg
Toyota Aristo V300 ‘00 - 450hp/1,600kg
Toyota Soarer 2.5GT-T ‘97 - 480hp/1,550kg
Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A ‘88 - 450hp/1,650kg
Toyota Supra RZ '97 - 410hp/1,680kg
Toyota MR2 GT-S ‘97 - 350hp/1,270kg
TVR V8S ‘91 - 400hp/1,250kg
TVR T350C ‘03 - 400hp/1,190kg
TVR Cerbera Speed 6 ‘97 - 400hp/1,150kg
TVR Griffith 500 ‘94 - 400hp/1,200kg
TVR Tamora ‘02 - 400hp/1,200kg
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 ‘00 - 400hp/1,200kg
VW Golf VI R ‘10 - 461hp/1,310kg
VW Scirocco R ‘10 - 461hp/1,240kg

Let me know if you guys wanna try ro send me a friend request on PSN at RMedia_Obelisk.
//End shameless race promotion.

I expect to be starting my 24 Hours of Le Mans attempt at about 7p CST. This will mean that I will miss the Saturday Car of the Week races typically held at 3p CST. @Baron Blitz Red can you host them?

Feel free to drop by my Twitch channel at any time during my attempt, and of course merry xmas to everyone!

No problem at all... I'll gladly host and save replays of the action. Good luck on your epic journey @McClarenDesign !!!

Happy Ho Ho to everyone!!! May the spirit of the season smile warmly upon you all!

Cheers

Back