Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Laguna Seca, CH tires, you know the drill...

1:42.897 - 541 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06
1:44.811 - 468 - Honda NSX Type R '02
1:45.849 - 505 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '04
1:46.241 - 454 - Honda NSX Type S '01
1:46.458 - 482 - Lotus Esprit V8 '02
1:46.487 - 440 - Lotus Elise 111R '04
1:46.755 - 482 - Lotus Esprit V8 GT '98
1:46.911 - 463 - Honda NSX Type R '92

3.5L
353 hp / 7,000 rpm
295 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,325 kg (2,921 lbs)

101 hp/L
8.3 lbs/hp

I like the Esprit, but the NSX does more with less, and the Corvette has a motor that's literally double the size of the Esprit. That, and the front end of the Corvette doesn't feel light as a feather. It inspires much more confidence and is easier to keep on the racing line.

When compared in this setting against such rivals as these, I'd have to call the Esprit a beater. There are better, cheaper, and faster options out there, including Lotus's own Elise.

Laguna Seca, CH tires, you know the drill...

1:42.897 - 541 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06
1:44.811 - 468 - Honda NSX Type R '02
1:45.849 - 505 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '04
1:46.241 - 454 - Honda NSX Type S '01
1:46.458 - 482 - Lotus Esprit V8 '02
1:46.487 - 440 - Lotus Elise 111R '04
1:46.755 - 482 - Lotus Esprit V8 GT '98
1:46.911 - 463 - Honda NSX Type R '92

3.5L
353 hp / 7,000 rpm
295 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,325 kg (2,921 lbs)

101 hp/L
8.3 lbs/hp

I like the Esprit, but the NSX does more with less, and the Corvette has a motor that's literally double the size of the Esprit. That, and the front end of the Corvette doesn't feel light as a feather. It inspires much more confidence and is easier to keep on the racing line.

When compared in this setting against such rivals as these, I'd have to call the Esprit a beater. There are better, cheaper, and faster options out there, including Lotus's own Elise.

Huh, guess that makes sense. I may have also found another car that works better than this Espirit, but I won't say more than that. Suprised that the Type S is already faster than the Espirit, let alone the Type R. But on a winding track such as Laguna, it's obvious that the NSX's honed handling can give the Lotus a hard time...

Not really a fair comparison movie.
The Lotus' position is just blowing up; the other car is on a roll, flies, can be portaged . . . I can see that the Esprit is already in trouble. To think this was a boyhood dream-car . . ..

In the hands of the COTW gang this is going to be one helluva bonding movie. How many should we buy?

I just can't drive these FF things. I'm braking for turns too much because everybody flies past me, or slams into my bumper. I need a high cliff to throw this thing off of.

👍
Knowing the car - peak humour there.
:)

Last edited:
How was the 2CV going that fast? It's easy to notice that some of the shots were in fast foward, but the others probably required a 3 mile run up for each scene, must have been a long day's shooting. (Also, how were they not pancaked when it rolled over?)

Also quite surprised at @SuzukaStar 's findings at Laguna, the Esprit used to be so dominant in GT5 shuffle racing, kicking the ass of much 'faster' cars thanks to it's insane cornering speeds.

I'll be sure to take a 2CV out for the Bond movie's sake and will have to hope it doesn't get lapped more than twice.

I feel sorry for my girlfriend, I'm just like the CinemaSins Youtube channel when watching films. "That wouldn't happen", "That's impossible", "Why would they do that", "That logic is so flawed"

Also quite surprised at @SuzukaStar 's findings at Laguna, the Esprit used to be so dominant in GT5 shuffle racing, kicking the ass of much 'faster' cars thanks to it's insane cornering speeds.

I might re-test the Esprit GT and C5 Z06 on Sport Hard tires later to see if the Esprit is faster when I don't have to worry about sliding into a ditch at every turn.

I might re-test the Esprit GT and C5 Z06 on Sport Hard tires later to see if the Esprit is faster when I don't have to worry about sliding into a ditch at every turn.

I can tell you, Suzuka-san, that the Espirit at least has the weight advantage. The 'Vette is powerful, yes, but it weighs about the same as a Double Cheese with Bacon. And while I may love fast-food, I don't want my cars to weigh as much as the food I eat. And the gearbox on the 'Vette could be better too...

On Sport Hard tires at Laguna Seca, the Esprit turns into a beast. Sticky rubber makes all the difference. She no longer wants to step out under mid-corner acceleration, although the NSX and Z06 are still better at this, due to their more optimal weight distribution.

I was going to re-test the '04 Z06 but that would be slightly unfair, so I chose the '00 Z06. I suppose the '97 or '99 NSX Type S would be even more fair than the '01, but they wouldn't be much slower at all.

1:36.062 - 504 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '00
1:36.798 - 482 - Lotus Esprit V8 GT '98
1:36.926 - 454 - Honda NSX Type S '01

Power-To-Weight lbs/hp
8.2 - Z06
8.3 - Esprit
10.5 - NSX

Weight Distribution f/r
53/47 - Z06
46/54 - NSX
44/56 - Esprit

Not much else to say. There is no clear winner here. All three have their strengths and weaknesses. Z06 has the most power, the best weight distribution, but the most weight. NSX has the best handling, best brakes, is the lightest, but has the least power.

The Esprit is basically what you'd get if a Z06 and NSX had a baby.

Last edited:
So, in essence, the Espirit is the middle man of the 'Vette and the NSX, huh? Welp, that settles it. If only the Espirit had the NSX's better cornerning prowless and the Corvette's drivetrain (because it's that blasted Renault gearbox that limits the Espirit's potential engine-wise), then it would become the perfect middle man. As it stands, it's a tie between the three...

Shame it's not the SE model, I would've brought the Patagonia special along. :lol:

I own both the GT and SE models and the '02 Esprit, but not the 350 sport.

Yet. :mischievous:

In reality, this car was held back from being a proper supercar by one thing, the gearbox.

It's no secret that the twin turbo V8 was good for 500hp, but to ensure the transmission actually survived it was dialed back to 350hp. :rolleyes:

Of course with the wonder of video games we can build the esprit to its fullest ability, my GT for example has well over 800hp and is a rocket ship, my SE sits at 500pp and can take the fight to the ever so dominant M3 CSL and my '02 Esprit is now a replica of the Esprit GT1 race car from the 90's.

I'm looking forward to this one. 👍

I REALLY miss the Lotus Esprit GT1 from Gran Turismo 2... that was one of the sexiest liveries in the game! Well that and the Kure GTR race car. :cool:

Cheers
That was my inspiration for the '02 Esprit, a big wing, black with goldish wheels and awful lot of power. It's currently sat at 600pp if I recall correctly. ;)

If anyone's planning to do a full build up of the Esprit after the races, here's a Max power list of which one to take.

Esprit SE and GT :916hp ( the GT weighs less than 1100kg and the SE weighs 1130kg. )
'02 Esprit :928hp
Esprit 350 sport : 950hp ( and the lightest at 1064kg. ) :eek:

Put simply, the Esprit has some serious firepower waiting to be unleashed. :drool:

Last edited:
I wasn't able to join yesterday but I should be on today. Was CoTW held last night or is it being held tonight?
Well me, Jack, McClaren and Green were there last night, Baron wasn't.

Of course we might run again if McClaren chooses to.

If we do, I'll save the review until afterward, if not then I'll get it done later.

I dont know if I'd really call the Esprit 98 a beater... Its OK and sounds great, but I am having a difficult time tuning it at anything above 500pp. Its really nice for the new Fuji seasonal, but then again, 450pp isnt much and Fuji is not a track that demands a whole lot other than speed.

In most cases I will buy the exact car specified for Car of the Week without question. But when I came across another model of this car at the exact same PP index but rendered in full premium glory, I had to waver. So the '02 Espirit V8 it was for me.

So to the review proper. The Espirit's styling, while appropriately sleek and stylish, hadn't changed much since the days Roger Moore wore the Bond tuxedo. While it did age a lot more graciously than the leisure suits of the '70s, it did still feel slightly dated so many decades on from that era. The engine, though it delivers neither the thunderous roar of a Detroit small-block nor the spirited scream of an Italian V-8, delivers plentiful power to scoot this relatively lightweight car along.

Ultimately, the biggest problem with the car to me was it's handling characteristics. The nose felt overly-light and unguided during corner entries. And perhaps the biggest pet-peeve I can have in a car occurs in this car; I've hit the apex and just want to mash the throttle coming out of the turn, but the car is so oversteer prone I instead have to play pussyfoot with the accelerator to keep the rear tires from spinning uselessly and the rear to overtake front front of the car. I know some drivers will relish how loose the car can be in the corners, but the characteristic inspired neither confidence or happiness in my time behind the wheel.

So in my judgement, the car does enough competently that it avoids any kind of Beater label, but it doesn't do anything well or exceptional enough to be a Sleeper. It is then, thoroughly average to me. And while I certainly should "Never Say Never Again," I haven't found a lot reason to get back in this car again once its time as the Car of the Week has closed.

Back