Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Can I Bug ya for a minute???

i6lzZPN.jpg

A rare opportunity was given to us this week... not only did we get another COTW in the form of a Volkswagen 1200 '66, but we got to try it out fully tuned from the get go. So after adding lots of goodies and taking away some weight, this 471 pp Super Bug puts out 181 hp and 272.9 ft-lbs of torque. Herbie??? Pfft, this ain't no love bug... a bunch of hippies may be disappointed, but they can eat my dust!

Ymfp0aa.jpg

Yes, dust. And smoke from my tires too! It may look something like the stock version which gets a 0-60 time of a normal flight from anywhere in Canada to L.A.X., but this one will screech the tires on asphalt! Muahahaha, Excellent!

56qJnRR.jpg

Even though I missed Tuesday's main event due to more server errors :banghead: , I did get some racing in the night before. My 720 kg mid range turbo version gave plenty of fun no matter where we were, and was rather impressed with her even though my guesswork with the suspension tuning was something to be desired.

As for the Beater or Sleeper thing... well it's a fully tuned version! Not really fair in that aspect to say one way or the other, but man, she's fun! 'Nuff said! Bring on the next surprise Mc!

Cheers

Congratulations, and happy birthday to Peter Sauber!!!

To continue our celebration and tribute to the man and his team, we've selected a very special car...

...the 1989 Sauber Mercedes C9!

6C40D3043.jpg

Unlike last week, we're going back to bone stock. No tricky diffs, no tuned transmissions or funky combinations. You put on your helmet, strap yourself in, and drive. But before we begin...

Circuit racing, or endurance race?

I haven't driven this in GT6 yet. Since watching the GTPlanet 24h at Spa I've been itching to do an endurance race and can't find myself to put GT5 back in. The races in offline GT6 are just not long enough. I vote enduro! And I'd better start practicing.

That 3rd gear pull. Watch the rev counter bounce when driving over bumps in the bitumen. The front 3/4 view of those black front wheels rotating in replay mode. The pop & flame on downshift as that silver blur passes the screen. Sunset at Spa...

I'll do a full write up on the cars at the end of the tribute tour.

Small piece on the C9, most of us had issues driving it in stock form due to how it's default settings were ( myself and Lewis included ).

Aside from that and a few guys losing connection, it was quite a good part 2 to the tour. 👍

Can't wait until the next chapter of the COTW Gang's tribute to Mr Sauber. ;)

P.S RBR Standard championship + RS tyres and SRF + full sign in bonus = good chuck of money back for those who bought their C9's just before the races. :sly:👍

OKTOBERFAST!!!

89rYpOK.jpg

The 1989 Sauber Mercedes C9, aka as the "Silver Arrow" won the 1989 Le Mans race after a 30+ year hiatus from the famed event. The #63 car we have here in GT6 started in 2nd position and overtook its sister car for the win, and also beat a 6 time Le Mans winning Porsche 962C by 2 laps!

7MjDTDC.jpg

engine: Mercedes-Benz M119 90º V8
position: Mid, Longitudinal
aspiration: Twin KKK Turbochargers
block material: Aluminum
valvetrain: DOHC, 4 Valves per Cyl w/VVT
displacement: 4973 cc / 303.47 in³
bore: 96.5 mm / 3.8 instroke85 mm / 3.3 in
compression: 8.5:1
power: 484.7 kw / 650 bhp @ 7000 rpm
specific output: 130.71 bhp per litre
bhp/weight: 718.23 bhp per tonne
torque: 810 nm / 597.4 ft lbs @ 3500 rpm
body / frame: Aluminum Tub Monocoque w/Steel Rear Subframe
driven wheels: RWD
front brakes: Internally Ventilated Discs
rear brakes: Internally Ventilated Discs
f suspension: Double Wishbones
r suspension: Double Wishbones
curb weight: 905 kg / 1996 lbs
wheelbase: 2700 mm / 106.3 in
front track: 1600 mm / 63.0 in
rear track: 1550 mm / 61.0 in
length: 4800 mm / 189.0 in
width: 1980 mm / 78.0 in
height: 1070 mm / 42.1 in
transmission: 5-Speed Manual
top speed: ~398 kph / 247.16 mph

Read more at http://www.supercars.net/cars/5602.html#962kuYaVW1O8kDlX.99

gzLtZxx.jpg

Technical superiority, pure and simple, led the C9 to record the fastest lap times in 12 out of 20 races, earn fifteen podium finishes and score a brilliant 1st, 2nd and 5th place finish at 1989 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The support and efforts of Peter Sauber were paramount to the return of Mercedes-Benz to international racing in 1988. The C9 won 5 of 11 major races that year. In 1989, however, the thoroughbred changed its colors and became the new Silver Arrow. In this classic livery Mercedes clinched the World Sports Car Championship!

BgE2Xjg.jpg

Historic... what more needs to be said!

Cheers

Last edited:
Next week, we'll return to selecting one lucky person to choose the following weeks car (since the FGT doesn't really qualify as a F1 car anymore).

Till then...

Congratulations Sauber F1 Team!

In 2005, BMW bought Sauber. For a few years, it'd seemed like it might actually pay off. But after Kubica's accident and the global economic downturn, BMW pulled out, and there were doubts that anyone could save the heroes from Hinwil. Thankfully, Peter Sauber stepped back in and saved the team, ensuring that his legacy continues on to this day. To commemorate that brief Bavarian flirt, this week we'll be racing...

...the 2008 BMW Z4M!!!

8360914337_74671892df_b.jpg

And it's pronounced "Zed 4 M", not "Zee"! Anyone that pronounces it as "Zee" is too fat from eating cheeseburgers with "freedom fries" and lacks a proper education. Twits.

Sorry about the delay, but you've got just enough time to get a few laps in before Vic and Lewis drive off into the sunset.

Dicks.

Oh, and if you haven't added Sauber by now, do so, regardless of whatever social media platform. They're amazingly interactive with fans, and a terrific group of people! Besides, when was the last time Ferrari or RBR wished you a happy birthday? Yeah, thought so.

What's the difference between a Z4 M Coupe and Z3 M Coupe?

Ten years, 6 seconds, and 6 mph at Suzuka Circuit when both equipped with SH tires.

Z4
3.2L
340 hp / 8,000 rpm
269 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,495 kg
469 pp

Z3
3.2L
316 hp / 7,500 rpm
258 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,465 kg
449 pp

Torque peaks 1,500 rpm sooner in the Z3 and it weighs 66 lbs less, so you have to be careful with oversteer on corner exit. The Z4 feels much more stable and planted through the corners.

In-car replay at Laguna Seca on CH tires:

At Laguna, the Z4M is as quick as the Evo X GSR and Mustang Boss 302! And it's less than a second slower than the M3 Coupe '07.

Last edited:
About 5 bank accounts, 3 ounces, and two vehicles?
:lol:

Ten years, 6 seconds, and 6 mph at Suzuka Circuit when both equipped with SH tires.

Z4
3.2L
340 hp / 8,000 rpm
269 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,495 kg
469 pp

Z3
3.2L
316 hp / 7,500 rpm
258 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,465 kg
449 pp

Torque peaks 1,500 rpm sooner in the Z3 and it weighs 66 lbs less, so you have to be careful with oversteer on corner exit. The Z4 feels much more stable and planted through the corners.

In-car replay at Laguna Seca on CH tires:

At Laguna, the Z4M is as quick as the Evo X GSR and Mustang Boss 302! And it's less than a second slower than the M3 Coupe '07.

Nice Review. 👍

This is personally my favorite car in the game. Actually second favorite. This car really grabs traction when you need it to. Completely reliable any time you get right on the edge. It can sometimes have a slight push/understeer, but it is easy to get used to. None-the-less, it is a great looking car. 👍

:lol:

Nice Review. 👍

This is personally my favorite car in the game. Actually second favorite. This car really grabs traction when you need it to. Completely reliable any time you get right on the edge. It can sometimes have a slight push/understeer, but it is easy to get used to. None-the-less, it is a great looking car. 👍

Going to be interesting . . .

Boy, I sure missed a lot, haven't I? Then again, this thread hasn't received much attention aside the usual folk, from what I've seen (people are probably too busy hammering the same old tired "complaning about GT6 with several useless threads" stuff).

I know I came late to the Sauber revival, but here are my two cents on the Zee (er, I mean Zed, Zed!) 4;

• The Bangle-style design isn't much on the pretty side, but it does its job well, I suppose. Long nose, short rear; pretty much like the Z3M Coupe;
  • Power wise, it is the classic BMW NA (that's Natural Aspiration, not North America, silly) 6-cylinder. Plenty of power, but you need to keep those revs high to take advantage of said power. It is a M3 engine, after all, so you should expect that sort of delivery;
  • Finally, on the handling department, the car does well despite some understeer issues. On my drive 'round Cape Ring, I found the car to be a bit too understeer'y (not a word, I know) on entry in certain corners. A result of the heavy nose, I assume, but still annoying to have it happening during driving. And with 300-plus hp on the engine, too much right pedal gives the rear end the "dorifto" order; beware of that on corner exits. But aside from this, it is a good-handling car; it could do with a bit less weight in order to use ballast to balance the weight properly.
And I guess that's a wrap. Beater or Sleeper? It is a better car than a convertible Z4, but not really that much better than a M3. And that's what I'd buy. Besides, considering BMW's treatment of Sauber (leaving them for dead and almost wiping them out of F1 existence, this car deserves being called more of a Beater, since this is a Sauber special after all.

So, @McClarenDesign, what's next?

Last edited:
Hey people!

Sorry about the lack of pics or review of the Z4 M Coupe... (and btw, it's always pronounced Zed, that's the Canadian way, let alone the proper way :cool:). I have been busy on the streets of Rome in the Sauber C9, doing lots of that Quick Match race lately and haven't even taken a pic yet of the Z4. But I will after I instill even more fear to the people that I beat (:lol: just kidding people) and hope to pick up some more FR's from the usually squeeky-ish clean driving that I always try to accomplish... Go Sauber!

Cheers

Last edited:
The Austin GP is this weekend. If you don't already know, I'm planning a gathering for the 2016 race on Google+, so you've got plenty of time to plan if you'd like to join us. If you're worried about hotel accommodations let me know, I used to be a travel agent and paid $46/night in 2012. I got ya covered.

Congratulations SuzukaStar!

We've been over this. What's the matter, forgot about Dre?

Since the album 2001 came out in 1999, I'll pick a car from 1999. I'm looking at the Jaguar XKR '99. That seems like a good choice to me right now, let's go with it!

The 1999 Jaguar XKR!

_JL32014.jpg

Shaguar it is! Although I suddenly get the feeling that sometimes, a bigger hammer is just a bigger hammer.

What is most interesting about the Beater or Sleeper Challenge is the fact that while some drivers would find a car a 'beater' others find it to be a 'sleeper'. Now add to that that it is the identical model that everyone is racing against each other - and if all found it to be a beater - it still makes for a very exciting battle.
If all found it to be a sleeper - then the battle, of course, turns epic.

I was surprised when I first drove the Z4 M Coupe. I put it away after some races with a promise to myself to later investigate its virtues thoroughly. She's a sleeper.

I have to say, the Jag has its work cut out this week because you can get the supercharged performance version for almost 10,000cr's less than the normal one and that one also has a realistic shifting 6 speed auto box.

Now let's get started.

A few weeks ago, McClaren pitched the idea of doing a 3 week tribute tour of cars which had a connection to the history of the Sauber F1 team and the man himself, Peter Sauber.

We started with where it all began, racing a mates track prepped VW Bug. ( it's possible the term, "caught the racing Bug" came from here ) :P

It was quite fun as you had to setup the car for every track to get any advantage over the others, just like F1 does when it's not being dominated by Mercedes power.

Speaking of Mercedes power... :sly:

The Sauber C9 marked the return to international racing after the tragedy of 1955 at LeMans for Mercedes and they went hell for leather to get some wins on the board, and win they did.

Until the great flip out with the CLR at the 1999 race scared off Mercedes again from competing at Le Mans.

The C9 as we drove it was insanely quick but was also quite tricky to tame with the stock settings as everyone ( including me and Lewis ) had trouble getting the power down, getting the car stopped and turned into the turns.

Most of those problems can be dialed out with some adjustments to the downforce, suspension, etc.

Now we move on to Sauber working with BMW in the F1 world until 2008 when the global economy took a dive and Peter Sauber stepped in and kept the team going to this day.

For this leg of the tour, we drove a car that was built during the BMW Sauber chapter, the BMW Z4 M Coupe.

Take one standard Z4, throw a hardtop on it, let the M division work its magic on the suspension and then drop in an engine out of the M3 of the time. (Baking times not included :lol:)

The car was balanced, easy to drive and good fun. Yes the car did understeer when you really pushed it and unless you were at the redline there's wasn't much pulling power to use.

Of the three, I would pick the bug as the choice of being the Sauber Tour Sleeper.

The C9, whilst very quick was let down by its stock settings and also its huge price tag. ( yes it's a racer, but this is Beater or Sleeper, price does play a factor. :D)

The Z4 didn't do a few things perfect, it did everything pretty well, a good all rounder. 👍

Here's to many more years racing for Sauber. :cheers:

XKR '99
4.0L
379 hp / 6,700 rpm
388 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,640 kg
477 pp

XKR R Performance '02
4.2L
388 hp / 6,000 rpm
408 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,735 kg
484 pp

The regular XKR gives up 200 cc, 9 horses, 20 ft-lbs, and 2 mph on Suzuka's front straight (142 to 144) but has the advantage of weighing 95 kg less.

This means the base model is only 2 seconds slower around the track. The R Performance could have used more power or less weight, because I don't see a reason for its existence.

Take the badges off either one though, and it's easy to mistake it for a basic 290 hp, 290 ft-lb XK8. Definite sleeper. Both cars are as fast as a 1999 Honda NSX, and the R Performance is as fast as the 2003 Nissan 350Z (US.)

Last edited:
The XKR is big, heavy, yet powerful and eager to kick its tail out for some glorious tire smoke in the corners with minimal fear of suddenly careening into a nearby wall. It's a lot like the Chrysler 300C then, except it delivers it's attributes in a more elegant and stylish package.

Too expensive to be a sleeper, but not a bad cat in my book.

Back