Bentley Bids Farewell to Its Mulsanne, and Record-Breaking 6¾ V8 Engine

Wow, I didn't realize the V8 was based on the same architecture for 60 years.

Those Americans sure do love their pushrods. /s

I'm surprised by this: "With 60 years’ use in Bentley products, the L Series V8 holds a record for the longest series production for any engine fitted to an OEM road car." I thought for sure the VW flat-four would hold that distinction.

I'm surprised by this: "With 60 years’ use in Bentley products, the L Series V8 holds a record for the longest series production for any engine fitted to an OEM road car." I thought for sure the VW flat-four would hold that distinction.
I missed that. I question whether this is sufficient to disqualify it, but the final production cars used the dual port engine that debuted in '67 (36 years), with earlier cars utilizing single port heads.

475430.jpg

I suspect the R-R/B 6¾ V-8 enjoyed updates of a similar nature. I'm sure they're purposefully using a narrow definition to intentionally exclude the VW flat-four.

I agree that the VW flat 4 holds the record with 70 years (1936 to 2006).

The Rolls Royce engine used in the Bentley is, however a remarkable engine - unusual on introduction for its use of aluminium and remarkable for its quietness and durability.

Back