Best 4K TV with GT Sport (and other PS4 Pro-enhanced games)

mokalovesoulmate
I don't usually give a damn about a lot of stuff with TVs, I play PS4 (original) and PC on a cheap standard monitor with double HDMI (I am purely a casual gamer, not competitive gamer or similar kind). Only input lag matters.

But since news about Ferrari's red are not exactly red because of color space (www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-03-gt-sport-on-pro-will-be-the-first-gran-turismo-to-accurately-show-ferrari-red), plus total 6 replay direct capture posted on gtplanet in 60fps...now I started to give a damn.

There is no PC or PS4 game that successfully getting my attention until now (even Uncharted 4, Infamous or other first party sony games, visually), but GTS do.

It seems I am going to upgrade to PS4 Pro and purchase 4K TV when GTS released. But I want to know if you guys here has recommendations about 4K TV with that BT2020 color space support (what is this again? HDR10?) and minimum input lag.

EDIT: My current choice is Samsung KS7000 (https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ks7000-ue55ks7000-uhd-4k-tv-review.12659)

Thanks!

Hey,
i'm about to buy a 4K HDR display myself. Since Digital Foundry awarded it as "the best gaming 4K HDR display" around 1000 euros, it caught my attention. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-samsung-ks7000-4k-tv-review)

As far as i can tell you can't go wrong with this one, although i'm more tempted to get a curved model (KS7500). The KS family has excellent latency (game mode: 23 ms) and true HDR support (peak brightness 1000 nits). There might be other options, too. But the whole topic isn't easy. If you buy an HDR display now you're more or less an early adopter. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but there are HDR displays out there that offer poor HDR results. In 12 months, we will probably see even better models for the same price and todays top-notch models much cheaper.

But are we willing to wait such a long time? I don't know. Personally i'm really tempted to get an KS7500 and a PS4 Pro right now. I will take a look at the TV this friday when i visit a electronic store. I think its important to see the difference for yourself. Anybody can tell you that image quality is breathtaking or poor, i think you should judge yourself. These TV are really expensive, after all.

My 2 cents here.
Best TV? ... unlikely.
But if price is a factor (and it almost always is), similar to the way the standard PS4 got an HDR upgrade with the 4.0 firmware update, most 2015 4k TV's will have been updated in the same manner.

Last year I bought a Sony Bravia X9000, which I believe out of the box didn't support HDR.
But through updates, it does now.

Just throwing an alternative idea out there.
Best TV?
Nope.
A more affordable option worth considering?
Absolutely.

My 2 cents here.
Best TV? ... unlikely.
But if price is a factor (and it almost always is), similar to the way the standard PS4 got an HDR upgrade with the 4.0 firmware update, most 2015 4k TV's will have been updated in the same manner.

Last year I bought a Sony Bravia X9000, which I believe out of the box didn't support HDR.
But through updates, it does now.

Just throwing an alternative idea out there.
Best TV?
Nope.
A more affordable option worth considering?
Absolutely.
Do you have the X90C?
I have a X90B and I think I don't have HDR support(can't find any news about updates)
Where did you find the info about the update?
Edit:found it and my TV is not on the list :(
http://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1441207994

Last edited:
I have a X90B and I think I don't have HDR support(can't find any news about updates)
Where did you find the info about the update?
What a horrible question. :lol:

All I can remember, after the announcement of the PS4 going HDR, is that it was a headache.
But I did find some sort of proof regarding the update patch number of my TV relating to an HDR upgrade.
I recall it's region specific.
Not all regions get the same update at the same time, and it seemed Aus. (as usual) was dragging it's heels.
Essentially, after lots of googling, it was via a Sony Aus. website showing latest X9000 updates and what they included that suggested to me I should now have HDR.

In the end, the proof of the pudding was by checking out the HDMI options.
The external HDMI option (when plugged into a Pro with relevant cable) allows for 'Enhanced' setting.
This is 4k with HDR.

Also just picked up FFXV.
This has an HDR settings in the menu options.
And no question the HDR function is working.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
I'll see if I can find the web-page again.

Edit.
Sorry, but I'm having little joy on the google front.
All I get is Sony.au sites asking me for TV model numbers, which I fear is useless to you.
Best I can suggest for a quick test is to see if you have the 'Enhanced' option regarding HDMI output via the 'Setting' menu.
Beyond that, all I can do is wish you luck. :sly:

Last edited:
I don't usually give a damn about a lot of stuff with TVs, I play PS4 (original) and PC on a cheap standard monitor with double HDMI (I am purely a casual gamer, not competitive gamer or similar kind). Only input lag matters.

But since news about Ferrari's red are not exactly red because of color space (www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-03-gt-sport-on-pro-will-be-the-first-gran-turismo-to-accurately-show-ferrari-red), plus total 6 replay direct capture posted on gtplanet in 60fps...now I started to give a damn.

There is no PC or PS4 game that successfully getting my attention until now (even Uncharted 4, Infamous or other first party sony games, visually), but GTS do.

It seems I am going to upgrade to PS4 Pro and purchase 4K TV when GTS released. But I want to know if you guys here has recommendations about 4K TV with that BT2020 color space support (what is this again? HDR10?) and minimum input lag.

EDIT: My current choice is Samsung KS7000 (https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ks7000-ue55ks7000-uhd-4k-tv-review.12659)

Thanks!
23ms lag is excellent for a tv. I'd advise anyone looking to purchase any tv, do some research on input lag because some of them are very high and introduce easily noticable lag in inputs.

@Tassie_tiger
Ok Thank you.👍
So you have a C model?

I send Sony a email but i think the A and B models will not get HDR support :(
Have I mentioned anywhere I'm not 'tech-savvy'? :lol:

Yes, apparently my TV model is KD-55X90000C.
Version 5.1.1
But I recall I got the info regarding confirmation of HDR more from the stupidly long 'Build' name.

My apologies if I made it sound easy for most 2015 TV's to have HDR.
I'm now getting the feeling my assumption was wrong. :ouch:

Wait 1 more month for CES (Consumer Electronics Show) - This is when 90% of the TV's coming out in 2017 will be announced, 3-6 months before they start shipping. By waiting you will get a chance to see what new color support and HDR support the newest models offer, and can compare against the 2015 or 2016 models to decide which is best for you.

Also by about March-May the 2016 models will start to see deep discounts. HDR and wide color support are two areas that the TV industry is seeing rapid transition, so the longer you can wait the better.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Sony runs a promotion at some point that bundles one of their 4k HDR TV's with a PS4 Pro.

Are we sure this isn't just 1080p upscaled? The few games that can actually do native 4K in PS4Pro are really low power games that a Chromebook could run 1080p 60fps.

Are we sure this isn't just 1080p upscaled? The few games that can actually do native 4K in PS4Pro are really low power games that a Chromebook could run 1080p 60fps.

Could a Chromebook run The Last of Us Remastered? This is a racing game. Racing games are typically not that demanding.

According to Kaz GTS will use a 1800P frame buffer with checkerboard technique for 60fps 4K on the PS4 Pro.

Racing games are typically not that demanding.

:confused:

Personally I would recommend this http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-OLED55B6V

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-b6-oled55b6v-uhd-4k-hdr-oled-tv-review.13023

I've owned one for the past 4 months and it's a staggeringly good TV. It's compatible with both HDR10 and Dolby vision so should be future proof for when the main players decide which standard will 'win'. OLED is an amazing technology and this TV employs it wonderfully. Mine, and from what I have read, the vast majority of these sets do not exhibit the banding that plagued earlier LG 4K sets. It is expensive but that expense is well worth it for the superior picture quality you get compared to less expensive sets. LG's WebOS tv interface is really good and there have been regular updates and improvements to it in the 4 months I have had the tv.

I haven't noticed the HDR stutter they mention in the AV Forums review but this may have been sorted in a firmware update prior to me buying the set. I'm not really someone who notices or is particulalry bothered by input lag but for what it's worth I have noticed any issues with it on this set.

Like you I'll probably pick up a PS4 Pro on the release of GTS and I'm very happy that this is the TV I'll be using it on.

Wait a few more years, and you'll be able to get an actual good 4K TV without spending outrageous amounts of money.
At the moment, you can still get a superb full HD TV for half the cost of a good quality 4K one.

There was a very useful thread on Neogaf which talked about this I'll try to pull it up. But better wait till next year after the new tv lines are introduced but yeah the brands to look for are Samsung,Sony,LG and there is a decent HIsense 4k budget one.

Could a Chromebook run The Last of Us Remastered? This is a racing game. Racing games are typically not that demanding.
Couldn't be more wrong about racing games not being demanding, at least the current ones.

Today i visited the local electronic stores in Cologne and i was pretty impressed with the 4K HDR models. Image quality is truly outstanding. The whole Samsung KS-Series looked amazing. I visited another store and saw a very good price for the KS7590. Guess what i did.

Of course some time will pass until GT Sport arrives and i will be able to enjoy the game in 4K and HDR. So if someone is tempted to get this just for GT Sport, he probably should wait until the games comes out. Maybe there will be some fancy GT Sport / PS4 Pro Bundle??

But i'm a core gamer, i'm not only playing racing sims. I cant wait to see how FF XV and Horizon Zero Dawn will look at this TV. I couldn't wait anymore, and i bought my last TV seven years ago, so it was time for some fancy new tech. Maybe some people will come up an state that the technology will evolve over time, but the current HDR 100-capable models already offer such wonderful pictures, if think thats more than enough for the next 5 years, at least for me.

You dont have to spend 4000 or 5000 bucks either, unless you wanna buy some giant XXXXL-model. 1100 - 1600 will do and i'm sure prices will drop at some point next year.

Samsung ks7000- best HDR, crappy build quality.
Panasonic dx750/780 in between , input lag 44/48ms.
Sony XD8005, IPS panel with all its downsides.
As much as I don't like Samsung it looks like I will buy one by the end of the year.

Sony has announced at CES they are going to build HDR compatible 1080p TV sets. So if you want to play GT Sport with HDR on your standard PS4, you will now be able to. Technically the PS4 Pro is capable of running games with higher quality textures on a 1080p tv than a 4k tv, but it remains to be seen how many game developers will provide that option, and what options GT Sport will have available.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1483718865

There are 3 different series available, ranging from 32" to 49" sizes. They have not given full details yet on pricing, refresh rate or peak brightness, but the article suggests they will start shipping in spring. If you can afford a 4K HDR tv than by all means go for it, otherwise it would be worth waiting for reviews on these units.

Just picked up a Samsung KS8000 a week ago. Pretty happy with it so far. I expect I'll pull the TB drive out of my PS4 and upgrade to a PS4 Pro at some point (the TB drive will go into my son's PS4).

I have this one and it works with both xbox one and ps4 to give hdr though you do have to fiddle with the settings. The best part was it was the cheapest true 10 bit panel I could find. Being on the less expensive side it doesn't blow my mind compared to my 1080 samsung, but it does wow me with HDR content.

43 in xbr43x800d

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWIEO2E/?tag=gtplanet-20

If you need a bigger tv they do have a 49 inch but it has problems mounting on a wall (it has a power brick for some reason)

@imn2gsus No offence, but it's very unlikely this sub 400 nits limited TV will apply adequate display mapping from GTS HDR touted figures. Also beware of the pseudo amazon/ing rebate. Sure 10 bit panel and extended colour range does improve perceived picture but with this particular set chances are GTS will look better in SDR.

The SONY 65x930D is right on the border of "bad" for gaming with high input lag. The Sammy 65KS8000 (US flat) has very good grey scale, very good input lag, and very good motion control. Selling for $1700, it's the best edge lit on the market. The 65x930 would be great for movies, IF you can find one that isn't BENT! Check RTINGS.com

I've been researching hard for a couple months, preparing to buy a new display when we get our taxes done. I'd love to get a SONY 65x940D, but it doesn't exist. The 75" is WAY out of my price range. The Sammy 65ks9000 (US flat) has better motion control, but at $2500 is a tad over my max budget. If I get the ks8000, I can also get an Oppo (Oh-Poh, not ah-poh) 203 for the price of the ks9000.

OLED is finally becoming [relativley] reasonable, but I wouldn't buy one yet. They are slow when it comes to motion and input lag compared to perfected LED LCD. $2600 is too much for an entry level 65" "new" display technology. In 5 years or so they will be very affordable and perfected. Also, more than one company will be making the panels. Right now, LG makes the panels, even the ones SONY will be offering in April & May at an exorbitant price!

Too bad plasma can't do 4k or HDR, I'd be all over it!

I'm no expert, that's just my 2 cents.

I myself got a 49" Sony X800D and I love it. It's a great mid range TV that offers some of the benefits of a high end tv without breaking the bank.

Then again I got this TV for cheap via Best Buy discount and exchanging my Toshiba 49" for it. The HDR looks amazing when playing Uncharted 4 on it. I'm sure GT Sport will look incredible too.

It does have a power brick though, making it a challenge to mount it, but since my desk is right under the TV where it is mounted, I'm not fussy about it at all.

I used rtings.com before deciding on the Sony.

Anyone have any recommendations for a 27" Monitor or TV with low input delay(<25ms or so), fast response time (1-5ms, prefer 1...) 120hz or 144hz refresh rate, and 1440p resolution? I could settle for 1080p if I have to... Supporting HDR and wide-color would be good too, but I prefer the competitive aspects of low input delay, fast response time and high refresh rate for GT Sport.

Also, because of how my desk/rig combo is set up, the monitor would need a fairly tall stand.. I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything at all.

Anyone have any recommendations for a 27" Monitor or TV with low input delay(<25ms or so), fast response time (1-5ms, prefer 1...) 120hz or 144hz refresh rate, and 1440p resolution? I could settle for 1080p if I have to... Supporting HDR and wide-color would be good too, but I prefer the competitive aspects of low input delay, fast response time and high refresh rate for GT Sport.

Also, because of how my desk/rig combo is set up, the monitor would need a fairly tall stand.. I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything at all.

High refresh rate and 1440p is pointless for GT Sport. The game will be locked at 60fps and the PS4 doesn’t support 1440p.

one word - TCL- I picked up a 4K HDR, 55", 15Ms lag for $370 from Costco last month. Basically a Samsung TV with different logo. Came with Roku interface too. This is probably my favourite TV ever. Once you tune the image it looks just like a $1,000 TV. Look up the reviews on Amazon...
The sale has ended for the 55 that I got but you should look into this brand...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYGISTO/?tag=gtplanet-20

Back