Best Car 2008: Germany --> Porsche 911 vs Audi R8 Recount!

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 78 comments
  • 7,335 views

EPIC GERMAN FACEOFF, GO!!!!


  • Total voters
    64
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
Guys, it was a hard fought and extremely close race. While the Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series squeaked out with 17 votes, it ended up as an even tie between the Porsche 911 and the Audi R8. When its already a heated contest between the two cars out on the track, the street, and in the magazines... Its absolutely no different here.

You've got one choice, and one choice only: Who do you believe is best fit to represent Germany in the next round?

997.2-2.jpg

The Porsche 911

033__scaled_600_004.jpg

The Audi R8

IMPORTANT NOTE!

Please think carefully over what you want and don't vote blindly. These are two amazing cars that both equally deserve their chance at the big show. I'd really hope you'd explain your vote, maybe to help others choose as well. Its a two-day runoff, and at the same time, we're going to start the nomination threads for Italy and "The World," so we can really get this train rolling by the end of the week.

======================================================

As for myself, I'm voting for the 911, again...

Looking at this closely, I did have a hard time choosing because in the end, they are very similar cars that sell at a very similar price that offer a very similar level of performance. The R8 has a big "wow" factor going for it, but, I don't know... I'm stuck in the past with my old-favorite. I mean, its the 911 for God's sake, it IS German motoring.

The look is classic, it is distinctive, the performance continues to be the global benchmark for absolutely everything... And the thing is, despite it being an absolutely amazing performance car, they make a version quite literally for anyone, anywhere. You can drive the damn things just as easy in stop-n-go traffic in Chicago as you can with snowy weather in Vienna. It is a comfortable, refined, and otherwise purpose-built car to do just about everything. You could make a similar arguement with the R8, and I'd tend to agree with you, but its the "fanciness" of the way Audi did it that is a bit of a put-off... That, and there really isn't a model that I'd be able to call "my own" (Carrera S or GT3) versus what my Grandma would want (Carrera 4 Convertible).

Its just, quite simply, one of the most-perfect cars in the world, and I really do hope that it can go through to the next round.
 
Last edited:
I'll explain my vote in the morning. Now is time for sleep.
 
Audi created something with the R8. They created a new machine, a new performance mechanism that generated a new bracket for luxury cars to follow. Various companies were forced to revise their performance car strategies because of the R8. Lexus held off their LF-A to match and beat the R8, Lotus admitted that their Esprit-replacement couldn't manage next to the R8 in the current market, BMW is struggling to throw in some new product to gain some interest in their future R8-aimed plans. It's almost as it people have stopped comparing the 911 as the benchmark of luxury performance motoring and have turned their attention to the R8 as the new target to hit. The 911 has been there to compare to for so long, so long that it has become invariable, uninteresting to compare to, just the same old "boringly perfect"* car. I'm fortunate to live in a city where I see Ferraris on a daily basis, I see Lamborghinis around the corner, Aston Martins down the street. I sat next to a 575 Superamerica for a while and not even such an exclusive, expensive and stupidly fast car generates as much public interest as the Audi R8. No Porsche does that, even the Carrera GT. A new visceral entity was created. Over the last year, Porsche created absolutely nothing. They created the exact same car as they have for their entire common existence.

That says something. A great car was invented. By a company that sells cars to businessmen who like the rings on the nose. We already know the 911 is amazing, it's been amazing for decades. We know that it's more popular among ourselves than any other car here. There's nothing special about honoring that another time around. Let's not be as boringly predictable as that. Let's take a look at something special, let's honor something that was created with ambition and hope, something that was trying to change things, and did.

* This is a phrase that I read in evo several years ago when the 997 was first released. It's a term that I've used since and find is so damn fitting to this vote.

R8

211-1.jpg


209-1.jpg


210-2.jpg


213-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ouch. My closest Porsche fanboyism hurts...
 
I love Porsche, and I do think it has truly become the German manufacturer to beat, but as Exige said, Audi did something with the R8. It's beautiful (imo). There's something about its looks that make me want it even more. It's not the fastest car of its competition nor is it the cheapest, or a bang for the buck (though at under $120K, it's not a bad deal either). The R8 is just stunning. Its looks just make it look like its worth so much more than it is.
 
Geez.. Exige lets not sway the votes too much. xD

Well, again... You can thank Downey Jr. again. :dopey:
 
I voted yet again for the Audi, as Exige pointed out Audi have done something special with their car. It's different, it's not the usual run of the mill mid-range super car according to every review I've read about this car they praise it, only minor comment is some reviewers belive that the car is ugly. However, opinions vary, I for one think it is a stunning car to look at. I truly think this car has overcome the 911 in terms of greatness.

The reasons why I didn't vote for the 911 is mainly because, I'm bored of them and so are the dealers too. I was talking to a person at a Porsche dealership the over day (after I finished doing a photoshoot with their cars) he basically was saying to me every 911 looks the same apart from the exception of the GT2, GT3, GT3 RS and Turbo. He said when customers come in they have no idea which one they want, they say they just want a 911. Sadly it isn't that easy for them they have to choose between thousands of different types and millions of options before they will come to their final price. We were standing next to a 911 Carrera S (997) he told me brand new the car costed £104,000 due to the options the previous owner choose on the car. Sure the car was a excellent car but £104,000? It's a bit over the top to be honest. Back to the original point, dealers are bored of having to explain the minute differences between each 911 for the customers, sometimes I think that if 911 went back to the striped out simple version which started of the trend and only made 3-4 models of the car then 911 would be still No.1 for Germany.

I think the Porsche 911's time has come to a end. It's been renowned for being Germany's best car for years and years now. There have been 5 different generations of the 911 which have kept us going from the 1960's onwards. It's time for Germany to have a new face, and I believe the R8 is that new face.

2649925299_c7eb363701_o.jpg
 


Long after the R8 has stopped been the flavour of the moment, we'll still have the 911 and it will still be the bench mark that other manufacturers will strive to equal.

Besides, every time i see an R8 i have to do a double take to be sure it is an R8 and not a TT.
 
I'm going with the 911 for the very same reasons that most of the other 911 voters state. I think TheCracker stated it perfectly in saying that the 911 has in the past and for the forseeable future will be the benchmark by which all other manafaturers will attempt to equal. For me it's the ultimate allrounder, and on that note I'm off to steal a black and orange GT3 RS.
 
If we were talking about the GT3 RS it might be a bit harder to choose...
 
If we were talking about the GT3 RS it might be a bit harder to choose...

We are. The GT3 RS is still a 911 isn't it?
 


Long after the R8 has stopped been the flavour of the moment, we'll still have the 911 and it will still be the bench mark that other manufacturers will strive to equal.

Besides, every time i see an R8 i have to do a double take to be sure it is an R8 and not a TT.

Rue
I'm going with the 911 for the very same reasons that most of the other 911 voters state. I think TheCracker stated it perfectly in saying that the 911 has in the past and for the forseeable future will be the benchmark by which all other manafaturers will attempt to equal. For me it's the ultimate allrounder, and on that note I'm off to steal a black and orange GT3 RS.

Totally agree with both of you.

As much as I like the R8, it's up against such an iconic and excellent car that I just couldn't vote for it. The 911 will still be the benchmark in years to come, I suspect.

I mean it's all well and good saying that it's been at the top spot for long enough now, but is the R8 really the car to knock it off it? I just don't think it is. Like TheCracker said - the R8 is a flavour of the month car, whereas the 911 will be around for a good while yet without being forgotten.
 
R8. because it is NOT a beetle evolution in umteenth generation. in addition, V8, V10, V12 whereas Porsche has only 6cyl engines, and no future diesel option.
 
Take that 911.:lol: I voted the R8, it's got a better sounding engine and looks better, and as a plus performs better too, but where's the high powered version?
 
Not even the GT-R can keep it's place against the Turbo forever: The 911 has almost always been there at the top, even when they were dangerous, rear heavy, torsion-bar suspension cars that were even nastier than the Corvair. The persistence of Porsche's engineers has created something that lasts.

I've seen an interesting argument from the R8 folk: "Boringly Perfect." That's kind of interesting. It is perfection...to that point. If you want the latest and most interesting thing, the R8 is your choice. If you want to absolutely know you won't be let down, go Porsche. Oh, and if you want choices, go Porsche, because the R8 only comes in one version. for now. I haven't seen that V10 or V12 since the concept versions came to light.
 
Last edited:
in addition, V8, V10, V12 whereas Porsche has only 6cyl engines, and no future diesel option.

Why have a V8, V10, V12 when the 6cyl still does the job just as well. Does anyone need or want diesel 911? Audi is only threatening to put a diesel into the R8 because it fits in with them pushing diesels across the rest of their whole range and also because their flagship LMP1 car runs one.
 
The persistence of Porsche's engineers has created something that lasts.

If you want the latest and most interesting thing, the R8 is your choice. If you want to absolutely know you won't be let down, go Porsche.

The 911 is epic. No doubt about it. But i voted for the Audi because I truly feel that in 2008, it has the measure of the Porsche's it competes with. Maybe it wont exist in another 10 years time, maybe it wont scale the giddying heights of iconic attained by the 911, but to me, that's largely irrelevant, I'm voting for this years car, not the 40 odd years that led to it, or where each car will be in a decde. I honestly believe that in 2008, the R8 is the way to go.
 
911 needs innovations. With every new one I feel like "meh, just another 911. Still looks like week old fish". In addition, they keep stealing from VW's partsbin. FSI, DSG (rriight, let's call it PDK, Porsche doppelkupplung and wonder why everyone rolls on the floor laughing when they hear it), VTG (I know, let's put a turbo from VW diesel into our boxer engine to make power all over the place!). what's next? nicking Haldex-AWD, putting it into Cayman and call it something silly? seriously.. And diesel would be a good move if they really want to improve their economy ratings.
 
Every time I see a 911, I go "ooh, look", but even in an area where cars like that are really rare, I don't feel priveleged to have seen one like I would when I see a Lambo or something. The R8 I have not seen yet, so I don't know.:p
 
DSG (rriight, let's call it PDK, Porsche doppelkupplung and wonder why everyone rolls on the floor laughing when they hear it)

Oh, so Porsche didn't invent PDK back in the eighties for use in the 956/962?
 
The 911 can only go on for so long before Porsche finally admit that it's a great car despite being rear-engined. They already hamstring the Cayman so that it doesn't eat into the 911's performance bracket.

It has been around for 44 years (or more, if VisionSolar is to be believed). It can't thrive much longer - and the R8 is one of the reasons why.
 
Besides, every time i see an R8 i have to do a double take to be sure it is an R8 and not a TT.
What! This argumentis hardly valid when the Cayman, Boxer and many generations of 911 all look very similair at the front!
 
What! This argumentis hardly valid when the Cayman, Boxer and many generations of 911 all look very similair at the front!

It doesn't matter that the 911 looks like the others, they are all fine sports cars. I just don't want my £80k sportscar to remind me of a hatchback in a party frock.
[/argument for arguments sake]
 
:lol: *Makes a comment about 911 being derived from a Beetle*
 
The 911 is absolutely the standard by which sports cars have been judged for years.

But Audi has moved the game on with the R8. They're nearing the top of their game right now and it shows.

The GT3 and RS versions are probably more involving, interactive and certainly carries utterly unassailable heritage. But the R8 is lauded for being as entertaining (allegedly) in its own way AND is more livable day to day than the hardcore versions of the 911.

It's also stop dead gorgeous. Park a Carrera next to one and it may as well be a park bench --nobody will even see it.

To me, the R8 combines the best aspects of all the great European sports cars. Accessible, practical and daily-liveable like the M3. Dynamics like the 911. Handsome like an Aston and an other-worldly look like a Lambo. It's really got it all.

In my mind, it's also far, far superior compared to that warmed over boulevard cruiser from Affalterbach.


M
 
Last edited:
In my mind, it's also far, far superior compared to that warmed over boulevard cruiser from Affalterbach.

Some sort of Mercedes?
 
.......

It can't thrive much longer - and the R8 is one of the reasons why.

If it were my money i'd buy the Porsche.

However, I believe the marker has been moved forward. Looks are a wash, i think the R8 is just this side of ugly and the 998 is bloated looking. i prefer the simpler, cleaner lines of the 993 and 997.

But Audi has paved the way forward for other manufacturers to get in the game and make a car that is genuinely involving yet daily driver, track beast and GT capable. Well done Audi.
 
Back