Best car cruising game with a wheel on console

• Thread starter Tristan H
  • 13 comments
Australia
Australia
I'm looking for the best game for cruising in cars with proper clutch and h shifter support, and somewhat realistic physics. What do you recommend?

Console ideally.

PCars 2 and AC are great, but for cruising they are very limited by track length.

If you are looking for open world driving games on console, you are pretty much restricted to arcade racing games. If you are seeking realism, you are most likely to find enjoyment picking any of the Forza Horizon games.

If you are looking for open world driving games on console, you are pretty much restricted to arcade racing games. If you are seeking realism, you are most likely to find enjoyment picking any of the Forza Horizon games.
Yeah, I suspected that might be the case.

I'm very tempted by Horizon 2, but I don't have an Xbox One, and I would need a Drivehub to use my G29. How good is Horizon for realistic cruising? Is the simulation setting any good? Also, can you turn off all the HUD and notifications to make it more relaxing and realistic?

Yeah, I suspected that might be the case.

I'm very tempted by Horizon 2, but I don't have an Xbox One, and I would need a Drivehub to use my G29. How good is Horizon for realistic cruising? Is the simulation setting any good? Also, can you turn off all the HUD and notifications to make it more relaxing and realistic?

Personally, I haven't done much cruising in any of the Horizon games, But FH2 has such lovely scenery and the option to switch off HUD, so I reckon it will be a great fit for what you are looking for in terms of the visual experience. Physics wise, It should prove realistic enough If you don't plan on going full throttle much; bear in mind the FH2 physics engine is loosely based on the engine used for the Motorsport series, so it's not too distant from being a sim.

Personally, I haven't done much cruising in any of the Horizon games, But FH2 has such lovely scenery and the option to switch off HUD, so I reckon it will be a great fit for what you are looking for in terms of the visual experience. Physics wise, It should prove realistic enough If you don't plan on going full throttle much; bear in mind the FH2 physics engine is loosely based on the engine used for the Motorsport series, so it's not too distant from being a sim.
How is the FFB? Is there any detail in the road surface?

How is the FFB? Is there any detail in the road surface?
Wouldn't that be fairly irrelevant if your only cruising? When I cruise in my real car I mainly feel things through my butt (which is why have a Buttkicker). The wheel is actually fairly light and dull.

Wouldn't that be fairly irrelevant if your only cruising? When I cruise in my real car I mainly feel things through my butt (which is why have a Buttkicker). The wheel is actually fairly light and dull.
I don't have a Buttkicker so I like to get that info through the wheel. Most games do convey road surface info through the wheel, including big sims like AC and PCars 2. I would like to know if Horizon does the same thing.

I don't have a Buttkicker so I like to get that info through the wheel. Most games do convey road surface info through the wheel, including big sims like AC and PCars 2. I would like to know if Horizon does the same thing.
If you cruise in those games you don't get hardly any road feel either ;)... unless your thread title is misleading, I thought that's what you were wanting to do.

If you cruise in those games you don't get hardly any road feel either ;)... unless your thread title is misleading, I thought that's what you were wanting to do.
I see. Yes, a better title might be "Best free roaming car game with a wheel". I want to drive around appreciating the car, road and scenery without a specific objective, pushing the car if/when I choose to.

I see. Yes, a better title might be "Best free roaming car game with a wheel". I want to drive around appreciating the car, road and scenery without a specific objective, pushing the car if/when I choose to.
👍

For more spirited driving in an open world scenario I would think the Horizon games would be at the top of the list. I gave the most recent one a bit of a go around at mates house with his wheel and it seemed fine. I've also played The Crew with a wheel and it was bollocks to be honest so I ended up just using the controller. Don't know if the second one was any better because the first one put me off. I haven't really tried many other decent open world driving games in quite a while.

Good luck with your search :).

I ended up getting The Crew 2. It is actually really good for free roam driving.

I used this guys wheel settings.

The FFB is weak, but not unplayable. The physics to me feel much improved over TDU2 and the original The Crew.

The most fun I have had so far is just free driving with the Corvette C2 and the Infinite Country radio station. It is actually not country but a deep blues and Americana station.

Back