Best Gran Turismo POLL

Best Gran Turismo

• Gran Turismo Concept: 2001 Tokyo (2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gran Turismo Concept: 2002 Tokyo-Seoul (2002)

• Gran Turismo Concept: 2002 Tokyo-Geneva (2002)

• Gran Turismo 4 Prologue (2003)

• Total voters
Agree. I've played GT3, GT4, GT5 and now GTS and while I loved all of those older titles greatly, I've never felt from them what I feel from Sport. The adrenaline rush I get from racing in SR S rooms with clean racing and the intensity is something out of this world. I haven't been into competitive gaming for over 3 years now and this gets me back into that state of mind, even if I'm not that great.

Racing closely online is nothing new and not specific to GT Sport.

Racing closely online is nothing new and not specific to GT Sport.

I know that there's plenty of other racing games out there with the simulation sense elevated like iRacing and Asetto Corsa but I never played them so for me, this is the first time doing competitive racing on a proper level pretty much.

Log out and back in then tell me you can still play, Without using PD's supposed fix of spamming the reconnect button :sly:

I mean, I had to do that to reconnect, but I'm connected and playing online right now. So this notion of the game being unplayable or whatever, especially given the most recent content updates is completely false. Connectivity may be different for other people though, so I can't speak for them.

Last edited:
GT3 is the one that blew me away when it was released. I remember looking at pictures of it (like the one below) in the official PS magazine and my jaw fell to the floor. It was also the first racing game I played with a wheel which was a great and memorable experience.

PgCc.jpg

That made me buy a PS2! (after i saw a demo on a store, i couldn't sleep all night - no kidding)

The next day i got my PS2 and GT3 of course. lol

As Graphics concerns, it was a huge step forward. :cheers:

I was thinking that. What proportion of voters actually played the original GT - at the time - when it was groundbreaking and revolutionary and all-encompassing as the only game you ever bothered playing on the original PlayStation, rather than dipping in 10-15 years later as bit of a retro distraction when the PS3 was already a thing?
I was there in 1997 for the original after having rented the game and system. I did not like the ugly graphics of the post 16 bit era so I had quit gaming but GT brought me storming back! I’ve owned all the mainline GT games except for 4. Long story short: I definitely find GT Sport to be the best in the series.

I'll always look back on 3 fondly, that's what got me into cars after all. I still revisit that and I'm still impressed by the style that game has, and the visuals still look good I think. Just not on a very high resolution TV lol.

Sport's great too, it just needs a few more cars and that map overworld thing to really get on 3's level if you ask me. But man there hasn't been a bad GT yet, contrary to what this forum has to say lol.

Just when you thought you've seen everything... GTS Number One... ? Yikes ! Well I voted GT4, but if I had been given multiple choices I would have gone GT4 and 5. For me it's a tie with those two with GT3 coming in close behind.

While Gran Turismo 3 or 4 probably deserve the vote for the best titles in the series, I voted GT1 as it was the most meaningful game to me. It was the title that really cemented how much I like the racing game genre and was such an incredible game changer at the time.

I bought the Japanese version of the game when it came out and played it for 16 months, then bought the US release and played it for another 9 months straight. Games rarely held my attention for weeks at the time (many for even shorter now) so to have such a strong connection and desire to always be playing the game was really special to me.

It's sad that my heart has moved on and I no longer feel the same way I used to about Gran Turismo. Since GT5 it feels like watching a madman driving a bus down the highway with my family on board, swerving left and right, unsure of where to go or what to do but trying to get to their destination in the most irrational and possibly dangerous way ever. I hope the bus arrives safely at its stop someday, and can again call me a customer and fan.

While Gran Turismo 3 or 4 probably deserve the vote for the best titles in the series, I voted GT1 as it was the most meaningful game to me. It was the title that really cemented how much I like the racing game genre and was such an incredible game changer at the time.

I bought the Japanese version of the game when it came out and played it for 16 months, then bought the US release and played it for another 9 months straight. Games rarely held my attention for weeks at the time (many for even shorter now) so to have such a strong connection and desire to always be playing the game was really special to me.

It's sad that my heart has moved on and I no longer feel the same way I used to about Gran Turismo. Since GT5 it feels like watching a madman driving a bus down the highway with my family on board, swerving left and right, unsure of where to go or what to do but trying to get to their destination in the most irrational and possibly dangerous way ever. I hope the bus arrives safely at its stop someday, and can again call me a customer and fan.
I agree 3&4 were great
I picked 4 due to content:tup:

1/2 - Sport- 3 - 6- 5 - 4

Gt 2 is basically an expansion of GT1 with worst graphics/music/menus . Yes GT2 looks worst than 1

I've played them all, and like each one better than the previous! Unfortunately, my online experience is null and void. This will be my 1st go at online racing, and I'm throwing in my 1st wheel on this installment too :scared:.....don't worry though I plan on getting plenty of practice before joining you guys on the track.:gtpflag:

Qyn
I've played them all, and like each one better than the previous! Unfortunately, my online experience is null and void. This will be my 1st go at online racing, and I'm throwing in my 1st wheel on this installment too :scared:.....don't worry though I plan on getting plenty of practice before joining you guys on the track.:gtpflag:

What wheel did you get?

I only played briefly GT and GT2 on PSOne but my favourite was GT4 i remember when i was stunned by the graphics in the tracks like Costa di Amalfi and so many other tracks and cars.

GT Sport for online racing.
GT4 for single player.

I maintain that GT4 is a better game but I'm having a blast with Sport's customization and online racing.

I've owned and played them all and my vote goes to GT Sport just for the online racing, nothing really beats racing against fast and clean people and GTS does it best.

GT1-4 - Great games back in the day, lots of fond memories playing them as a kid. I enjoyed collecting cars and doing the career.

GT5-6 - After playing the first 4 games for a number of years, single player got pretty stale for me at this point. The introduction of online racing was awesome, but overall the PS3 era of GT had a lot of short comings with minimal focus on racing. GT5 was underwhelming at launch, it was ok after the spec 2.0 patch but still not really enough to keep me interested. GT6 was nothing special either and was the GT that I spent the least amount of time playing. This caused me to switch to Forza Motorsport, which was the superior game at the time.

GTS - Made me return to GT and leave FM after a number of years playing that. Lack of tracks and other content aside, I love this new focus on racing and competition. It's a change that this series desperately needed. The livery editor is a nice addition as well and IMO just as good as Forza's, arguably better in some areas.

Last edited:
GT3 is the one that blew me away when it was released. I remember looking at pictures of it (like the one below) in the official PS magazine and my jaw fell to the floor. It was also the first racing game I played with a wheel which was a great and memorable experience.

PgCc.jpg
How in the world GT3 had such graphics on that time, GT3 is beyond our time when it released.

I joined gtplanet 10 minutes ago (really!), and given how it's pretty much the go-to site for GT games discussion, I thought I'd ask a question which, given how blissfully ignorant I tend to be, has already been asked. I want to hear your opinions on every main Gran Turismo game (GT1, GT3, GT3, GT4, GT5, GT6 and, according to Yamauchi-san, GTS). Below are my opinions:
GT1 and GT2: Unfortunately I never got my hands on a PS1, so I can't tell you anything about those games. They seemed a hell of a lot of fun, though.
GT3: My favourite game in the series and my favourite video game of all time. Sure, the car list was castrated compared to GT2, but the gameplay itself, in addition to the graphics, mean I'm still drawn to it even after GT Sport's release.
GT4: Both the car and track list became heavily-diversified, setting the standard for later games, and the influx of new events mean that the grind is, unlike other games, worth doing. Was devastated when my original copy died in '09, but I bought a new one last year and I'm still enjoying it from time-to-time. You'd think I'm stupid to not have it at #1, but there's this unknown variable that leaves me to lean towards GT3. Nostalgia, maybe?
GT5: Didn't play online too much, but I hear it was pretty fun. Offline was flawed in some aspects. For example, I never made it past the iC licence due to the game crashing (despite them being useless compared to other games), and my copy seemed to want me to never race at Toscana either. Not a fan of the level system either, and I feel bad for cheesing my way to victory in the Indy 500 in the X2011. However, one thing I liked about the game was the offline Used Car dealership. After a GT Mode race or two, I was always nervous to see if my favourite car (the Vauxhall Astra touring car) was available, which it was coincidentally after winning at Indy.
GT6: Everything GT5 should've been. Sucks they removed the Top Gear test track, but I felt proud that they finally gave Bathurst some love. In the somewhat-depressing days between the last GT6 update and GTS's release, I played the Seasonal events like it was my job, and the replayabilty element both online and offline is something to admire. The Senna tribute was done to a tee, and the addition of the GFOS and the moon events was a nice touch too. Sucks the servers are being taken down soon, but it'll be really fun to revisit down the road once GTS gets old.
GTS: Like what I'm seeing so far. It's great that PD are implementing their DLC through the free updates, like in GT6 (apart from the credits in the latter, but I preferred to grind for them anyway), and I really hope they expand on GT League (which will always be GT Mode to me) in the hopefully not-too-distant future. Sport Mode could use a little polishing (maybe a program for dangerous drivers could be added, because IMO, they probably wouldn't take in the stuff they learned in the Driving School/glorified Licence tests), but from what I've seen, it's pretty good.
Sorry for the essay, hope to hear your thoughts soon!

Welcome to GT Planet
Gran Turismo 1 = epicly groundbreaking, other driving games looked goodish (Ridge Racer, Formula One 2001 etc) but played and felt rubbish (Ridge Racer, Need for Speed), for me there was nothing better than buying a stock Dodge Viper and turning it into a 700hp race car and then hot lapping two laps (from a standing start ) and trying to beat the time I had set in the original and best Toms Castrol Supra, after that everything else in the game was a bonus, 30 ( or was it 60) lap races around Grand Valley Speedway one of my favourites, the bonus HD mode on SSR5 (time trial only) was a nice touch.
GT2 on two disks with a 'smell the oil'timek had more of everything I liked about GT1, the sound of the Castrol Supra going through the tunnel at Red Rock was now like a drug to me (it sounded like it was trying to eat the road . . . aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh), and from nowhere, Midfield Raceway was thrust into my world . . . again . . . aaaaaahhhhh.
My split personality to the Gran Turismo series started with the move to the next platform, PS2 at the time, I seem to love the final editions on each platform too much, I bought my PS2 and GT3 on launch day, found myself playing more of the TOCA Touring Car titles and the F1 titles (avoided EA Sports F1 xx) instead of GT3 and . . . I could play GT1 and GT2 on a PS2 . . . steps back in amazement . . . thinking about it now the F1 2001 title (by Sony with a green cover, sounded terrible) may have been on the PS2 because GT3 was more of a bookend than anything else, the Prologue GT's were bought played and then (shock . . . horror) returned to the shop/traded.
Then it hit me

El Capitan, a race that lasted for possibly 24 hours where I could trade stints with an erratic B-spec pilot. . . just bigger and better, the final edition on the current platform 💡

PS3 and GT5, guess what, not really enough for me, played it of course, but it just replaced the now unappealing (to me) F1 titles, TOCA had disappeared off my gaming horizon.
GT6, more of what I liked became number 1, with only the PC version of Asseto Corsa coming anywhere near in terms of me wanting to play it.
GT Sport on a platform that GT6 isn't available on but Asseto Corsa is . . . The kids setup their PS4 on Christmas day, but I haven't bought GTS yet, I will, but the PS3 still functions and accessible, GT6 offline just driving around, fiddling with set-ups is my drug of choice, racing said cars and set-ups is an additional buzz.
Maybe the next version or an updated version of GT will be enough to get me away from GT6, although AC on PS4 with its bloody 488 GTB, Huracan, GT3-RS, R8 V10 Plus etc is the nearest to extracting cash out of my bank (provably via the Mrs purse) at the moment.

Edit
Sorry for the longer essay

All games considered, the best way I can describe the entire franchise is this.... Flawed, but in one way or another, simply wonderful.

I believe I've used this simile before, but I'll say it again since I think it's relevant. Gran Turismo is like Lancia. They make a lot of mistakes, but then you sit back and take in the bigger picture. You realise that Gran Turismo offers a unique racing experience. A strong dedication to the automobile as an invention and the art of driving. Out on track in your favourite car, wrestling the bends to better your previous lap time, I always turn to Gran Turismo for that sensation.

As for specifics, I haven't got much play time with GT1, because I only bought it a few years ago, but as the genesis of the franchise, I can really appreciate the foundations that they created.

GT2 was my first GT game, which I adore to this day. When I was younger I never played it properly, because back then I didn't understand the concept of saving games. I spent most of my time in Arcade mode. I have gone back to GT2 since to do a proper playthrough on GT mode (I reached the final race and was in the process of preparing the TVR Speed 12), but my PS3's hard drive bit the dust and consequently I lost the save file :( I plan to go back soon now my PS3's running a new HDD.

I love GT3, but I haven't progressed that far with it. I was somewhat put off by the lacking car count, but from a nostalgic standpoint, I love it to bits. Even if I just play casually in Arcade mode, it's a blast. Driving the Impreza Rally Car prototype on Smokey Mountain is pure bliss....

GT4 is my personal favourite of the series, both from a nostalgic and a content standpoint. Ironically enough though, it's the GT game I've played the least. I barely touched GT mode, though I do remember having a green Nissan Silvia on one playthrough when I was young. I have a brand new copy of GT4, but never been able to play it because my PS2 slim doesn't run it. I'm planning to buy a fat PS2 just to play GT4 at some point. I just love the overall aesthetic of the game, the menu music, the cars and tracks. In my opinion, it's the closest to perfection I've ever experienced with a racing game.

GT5 was a good game. I'm working towards the Platinum trophy. I've already completed the 24 Hours of Le Mans in B-Spec mode, but the grind for XP now that there's no online seasonal events is the most annoying thing ever.... It's fair to say that the game has become a lot less enjoyable now that I'm heading towards the Platinum, but despite its flaws, it is one of my most treasured games on the PS3. It fundamentally introduced me to the Gran Turismo online community (discounting GT5 Prologue), so naturally, it evokes a lot of good memories.

GT6 was disappointing at first, but now I look back, I realise just how much content it eventually ended up getting. It's impressive to say the least. But alas, the servers for that are being shut down soon, so I'll jump online when I can to give the game an appropriate sendoff, because I think it deserves it.

And now for GT Sport.... Lacking content aside, the core experience is magnificent. However, the one and only aspect which is holding the game back from being truly great is the 'always online'. Never before have I seen a system so idiotic as this. I sincerely hope PD comes to their senses and gets rid of the 'always online' and turns GT Sport into a fully functional game offline. Until that day happens, I can only consider GT Sport to be a good game. Nonetheless, when the game is working, it's simply incredible. I recently got a G29 for Christmas and have been tearing up the Nurburgring in the Evo 10 Group B road car with full manual transmission. The manual shifting is far from forgiving in GT Sport, but it works and it's a great challenge.

I'm passionate about the Gran Turismo franchise overall, but I know that it has many issues which need to be addressed. I'm not going to lie, Polyphony Digital is not in my best books right now since they are shutting down the GT6 servers. I know online servers have to die at some point, but this is way too soon.

Welcome to GTPlanet :)

I think that unless PD allows you in GTS to really own your cars in your own “offline garage”, (as in not rented), that GT Retro gaming will have a good following and a new resurgence. Long live GT3-4-5.

Played a little bit of GT3 over the last couple of days, was like meeting an old friend again. The tracks, the cars and the size of the campaign were definite pluses, and even the graphics weren't as bad as I feared. But only six cars in a race, and the knowledge that you will win almost all the time if you upgrade the right car enough. I'm not sure I could go back to that.

GT Sport isn't the complete experience yet, the campaign needs to grow, as does the tracklist and number of cars, but the online racing awesome. Sure, it can be frustrating at times, and sometimes you race against idiots, but I actually celebrated the other day when I took 13th place on the line at Mt panorama; an experience I couldn't replicate on any of the other GT games.

Taking its own time appearance, GT4, there is no contest:

- Incredible graphics.
- Great handling.
- First endless amount of content.
- First time we got Photomode (and it was amazing by its time).
- The quality of the menu`s OST and song selection has never been seen again, GT Sport included.

Last edited:
I think that unless PD allows you in GTS to really own your cars in your own “offline garage”, (as in not rented), that GT Retro gaming will have a good following and a new resurgence. Long live GT3-4-5.
So people can hack their cars like in GT1 through 6? Yeah no thanks.

Latest Posts

Back