Best Way to Export Photos?

United States
United States
What ways do you lads use to export your shots?

Maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't seen a "Take Photo" option inside photomode, so I just use the "Share" feature. From there, I use a flash drive to export the photos from the PS4. The unfortunate part is that they all come out looking like crap...the screenshots, I mean.

Is there another way?

No, unfortunately using the share button is the only way to get a shot off the PS4. It does suffer from image compression that way, so in effect, over compensating for that with the camera options is the only way of boosting the image colour back up.

You will also need to go into your PS4's settings to ensure the images don't have the bars at top and bottom (Sound and screen/Display area settings).

No, unfortunately using the share button is the only way to get a shot off the PS4. It does suffer from image compression that way, so in effect, over compensating for that with the camera options is the only way of boosting the image colour back up.

Oooor, you could touch them up in Photoshop. Which is an option I frankly much prefer in games which have a photomode mimicking the possibilities of a real camera, like Driveclub or Gran Turismo. Forza, that's another thing entirely.

Oooor, you could touch them up in Photoshop. Which is an option I frankly much prefer in games which have a photomode mimicking the possibilities of a real camera, like Driveclub or Gran Turismo. Forza, that's another thing entirely.

I use Lightroom to change color and contrast settings of exported images, mainly due to the fact that TV's usually display the photos differently. I really enjoy Photomode in Forza (I have taken over 500 shots, easily) but GT and Driveclub is a bit more...pain in the ass, so to say. Also, the picture quality from FM's exports are way better.

I use Lightroom to change color and contrast settings of exported images, mainly due to the fact that TV's usually display the photos differently. I really enjoy Photomode in Forza (I have taken over 500 shots, easily) but GT and Driveclub is a bit more...pain in the ass, so to say. Also, the picture quality from FM's exports are way better.

Yeah, FM's export system may be a bit more of a pita than copying your pictures to a thumb drive, but it gives the best possible quality.

However, I must say I like Driveclub's photomode the best so far, and even with that lossy compression messing up the quality of pictures, DC still looks way better than Forza Horizon 2. So I guess it's worth it in the end!

Yeah, FM's export system may be a bit more of a pita than copying your pictures to a thumb drive, but it gives the best possible quality.

However, I must say I like Driveclub's photomode the best so far, and even with that lossy compression messing up the quality of pictures, DC still looks way better than Forza Horizon 2. So I guess it's worth it in the end!

I actually prefer the FM way of exporting photos....you get to save them to your cloud profile and download the images from anywhere.

DriveClub looks great, no doubt, but the loss in image quality is really bothersome...
I wish one of the sharing options (instead of Twitter, Facebook, etc.) would be to upload images to your PSN profile so you can access your stuff online. Better yet, implement a native photo taking feature in DC!

Well, a .PNG format save would be favourite like GT has. I don't think it is limited by the number of sharing options, just limited by using the share button. That is the bit that is responsible for the image compression.

Do I understand correctly that when taken a photo in Driveclub's photomode, one cannot export this photo directly to the harddrive of the PS4 or save the picture take in photomode (I mean saving like GT6 did)?

So it would mean that:

1. You enter photomode
2. Fiddle with settings
3. Take your picture
4. Use SHARE button to save/export pictures

Are those the correct steps?

Sorry guys to bother you once more...

Photomode and the Sharefunction are 2 seperate things? One can take screenshots as well directly by pressing the Share-button.

What are the differences in quality and options between those 2 techniques?

Sorry guys to bother you once more...

Photomode and the Sharefunction are 2 seperate things? One can take screenshots as well directly by pressing the Share-button.

What are the differences in quality and options between those 2 techniques?
Photomode is a separate function, true, but you need to use the share button to actually save the image, even within photomode. The Share button will only capture what is on your screen, photomode allows you to work with the image more before doing that.

Quality-wise it is no different, just that the photomode allows you to change depth-of-field, add filters, choose your angle and alter the brightness before saving the image.

Thank you @MeanElf

That's why the photomodes looks quite similar in Driveclub, The Order 1886 and the Last of Us. It seems like a kind of a general "plugin" for the games. It enhances the "share" functionality.

Thank you @MeanElf

That's why the photomodes looks quite similar in Driveclub, The Order 1886 and the Last of Us. It seems like a kind of a general "plugin" for the games. It enhances the "share" functionality.
I haven't actually played TLoU on PS4 yet nor have I started on TO:1886 - but I have played Infamous: Second Son and the photomode is pretty damn similar, so true, it does seem that some games are sharing a very similar tool.

I think the only difference, certainly between I:SS and DC is the rendering aspect. Still, I love how it's possible to just pause a game in mid-action and explore around that moment via photomode:
inFAMOUS™ Second Son_20140711101357.jpg

Well at least you are able to play around with photomode. I still don't have a PS4. I wait until the beginning of september.

I think the photomode is really a general plugin and the developers have certain options to enhance or change aspects of how this plugin functions. I forgot about Infamous. It was the first game on PS4 that had a photomode if I am correct.

Really hope to see more and more games given you the abillity to take great pics. So many games to choose from!

That's only six weeks or so, you'll be having fun with photomode before you know it :)

I think Infamous was indeed the first game with it on the PS4 - I can't recall if Killzone: Shadow Fall did or not.

The maybe best way to capture pictures in "lossless" format would be capturing hardware like from Elgato or Hauppauge. But that is expensiv.

Or send some feedback to Sony and Evo. I think the XboxOne saves screenshots without compression in .png

At least the Sony games will support special photomodes. *hope*

...Or send some feedback to Sony and Evo...
I know a few have certainly done so via FB but these things take time, it took MS quite a while to get around to it and hopefully Evolution will have it as one of their surprise updates.

Frankly though, if that happened I'd probably want to go back and re capture all of the moments again...and at over 5.5k pictures taken so far, that'd keep me away from all of those other games I want to play for even longer.

Honestly, I'd love to have a lossless, half-a-hour-to-save-a-pic, ERMAGHERD MAXIMUM QUALITY option. Give us uncompressed bitmaps, Sony! 50 mbs per screenshot! You know we want it!

No, I am not kidding. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating things just a bit for comedic purposes. But it'd be awesome to be able to save our screenshots in a lossless compression format (namely .png), at the very least.

+1,000,000. My biggest wish is a lossless image save. It's quite depressing seeing the difference of your saved image between the one in game before you saved it and the actual saved image. :(

Has the situation improved now? Can you export the native files yet? I'm not keeping up with PS4 updates since I don't have one but there's a lot going on I hear of occasionally, and Driveclub gets lots of updates too, so I wouldn't know.

Has the situation improved now? Can you export the native files yet? I'm not keeping up with PS4 updates since I don't have one but there's a lot going on I hear of occasionally, and Driveclub gets lots of updates too, so I wouldn't know.

You can save screenshots in .png format now. Haven't tried it myself, yet.

Here's a JPG and PNG comparison from DriveClub (JPG at the Top, PNG on the Bottom)

You can tell how much sharper the PNG image is once you enlarge it.

driveclub-comp-1.jpg

driveclub-comp-2.png

Back