Better now or still mediocre?

• Thread starter Nielsen
  • 38 comments
Denmark
Denmark
I decided to steer clear of Driveclub when it was released because of the mediocre ratings it generally received from reviewers and the public. I just checked up on it again and saw that the game has received a handful of appealing content releases over the past few months, and I my interest level is increasing again. However, I want to ask if the gameplay and servers have improved significantly since launch or is it still mostly graphical bliss?

The servers still have their moments, but nothing like the problems we encountered during the first week. I mean, it depends greatly on what you want from the game, but with challenges active and all, it's been consistently fun.

A lot of folks have been turned around during the past month, certainly since photomode and the dynamic weather patches arrived.

I know I shouldn't expect simulator physics but I don't mind it being an arcade game if it feels great on track.

I like my GTs and Forzas, but I also really like DC. Its something different - focused, to put it in a positive way (a negative way would be "barebones"). No tuning, no open world, no everyday cars. It's smooth and looks fantastic - essentially an action-oriented car game. Zero regrets about buying it.

The cars do feel very nice, there is a bit of realism with understeer, the oversteering/drifting is wierd, but overall, the sheer quality of the cars in both sound and modeling is great, and driving is a real thrill.

I know I shouldn't expect simulator physics but I don't mind it being an arcade game if it feels great on track.
You should be fine then, it definitely feels exhilarating and you get a real sense of speed. Like I said, challenges keep things fresh, as do constantly updating face-offs of various types. You can hotlap the circuits while testing new cars out and getting the best time possible for a challenge to issue as well as levelling up on accolades all at the same time.

MP is a bust as it's a demolition derby - private lobbies are due soon though, as are replays.

servers are nowhere near perfect yet (especially since Japan was released, likely meaning more people trying to play) and online could use some work, this said competing with others for times in challenges is a ton of fun and where I'm spending most of my time when I can't find some good online racing.

If only we could use our old wheels (my G27 is lonely) it'd be perfect but that's not Evo's fault, but this said it's probably my among my top favorite all time racing games ever, which is something I really was not expecting when I first started playing it. I usually hate fantasy circuits but major hats off to whomever designed DC's as they are a ton of fun and look amazing.

I read reviews to humor myself but I do not buy games based on opinions and reviews. As a car enthusiast and a racing game fan this game could not be passed up. It's the same game "at the core" with the "online" turned on. I'm loving the game since it came out and it's even better and has so much more coming in the future.

I'd say if you can't judge for yourself don't buy it. Don't be fooled by weather and photomode , at the core the game is exactly the same with non essential(minus collision penalty) additions and improvements.

I think the AI is still a bit goofy but it is a lot better then it used to be. But everything else is great. The weather in this game look amazing though.

Thanks for your input guys.

The cars do feel very nice, there is a bit of realism with understeer, the oversteering/drifting is wierd, but overall, the sheer quality of the cars in both sound and modeling is great, and driving is a real thrill.

How do the cars feel in terms of responsiveness? The physics look slightly unresponsive in the YouTube videos I have seen. Not a dedicated racing game but anyone who played GTAV on last-gen consoles will probably agree that the cars were very unresponsive and overly grippy. Just mentioning because anything that handles remotely similar would put me off.

The servers still have their moments, but nothing like the problems we encountered during the first week.

The servers have been much improved starting since December though.

servers are nowhere near perfect yet (especially since Japan was released, likely meaning more people trying to play)

What kind of server issues are there at this time?

It's not even mediocre, please don't waste your money on it, you will be disappointed.

Please elaborate.

Last edited:
I would say if you love cars then it is worth every penny, the immense detail of the cars exterior and interior, the sounds, the wipers going and scenery alone is worth the money now the game is half price!. I have played pretty much most racing games since Outrun on Sega or Pole Position on Atari and this is back to basics-pick up and blast play-no messing with tuning/mods just pick a car and track and go as fast as you can with good handling. Completely addictive with fairness all round as it is down to repeat plays and skill. I love Sims too like us all on here, I had GT3 onwards, Forza 2,3,4,5 Shift1/2-Grid, PGR3/4 and played AC, and few PC sims and this is designed I would say initially for controller-the handling in my opinion is much better than 'arcade' and in between PGR and shift/FH2 but not as 'tight' as say forza or GT. I found Grid and Shift too arcady. There is a little bit of play on the corners on each car but as the handling model is different on each one but not that different you soon get used to it after 100 laps of the race track in the wet you can glide the car round easily trying to get top spot!..I went back to FH2/Forza to try it again and came back to this the next day. Put it this way I brought the Crew on offer to see what it was like and it is being sold! Now with the Servers on about 80% accuracy of getting in a race, the brilliant photo mode and replays coming soon and the weather systems in (dynamic!) In my opinion what are you waiting for! ;)👍

Last edited:
Please elaborate.

It gets very repetitive when you realise that to get the best time you can only use one particular car per class, physics are "cartoony", you can break hella late and still make the corner easily, the oversteer is "funny", the tracks are boring, i have had no race longer than 3 laps long, no damage model, AI that bumps you off the track earning you a penalty, AI that rams you from behind after bumping you off the track earning you a penalty, lots of darkness, online is a joke - i joined a lobby and it was a team race with me against 3 others on the same team - guess who lost? confusing system to play online in the first place, no incentives for leveling up - yes you unlock cars, but what's the point if you will only be using one or two of them because the rest aren't competitive. "Custom" liveries are a joke, if you use stock paint you only get a choice of 1 colour, i think that's all for now.

I wish I had been patient enough to wait for the PS+ edition to try it out first, but no, I listened to the fanboys on here. Disappointed is an understatement.

What kind of server issues are there at this time? Please elaborate.

tonight everything was fine, but day before yesterday especially and the day before there were several instances where lobbies were not up and/or took a LONG time to refresh, I think it was because with Japan on everybody was online or something (which makes me worry about when the PS+ version is out).

In terms of AI YMMV, from my perspective the only time they ram is if you brake in the racing line way early or stuff like that (try that online, it will be the same), let's just say the AI is reasonably aggressive and not the typical pushover (like in GT6) that as soon as you end up even slightly in front they bow to your superior skills and let you pass. Personally on circuits the AI is not much of a challenge even on legend (especially if it's wet), on point to point it seems tougher, especially in the career races, but I have never felt the AI to be gratuitously dirty (nowhere near like online where sometimes you are side-by-side with somebody else and they'll plaster you into the wall)

You can brake late and make the corner sometimes, but try challenging other people's fast times and you'll see that if you don't drive well (meaning, correct line, apex, correct braking point(s)) there's no way you'll be competitive, I have been racing games for many years (my favorite is grand prix legends, to give you an idea, where I did fairly well, was in a league and all that) and I have felt at home with DC pretty much right away, it's no sim but it is quite enjoyable and mastering it is nowhere near easy (again, try to beat some of the fast time trial times on tracks and you'll see)

This said this last patch IMHO relaxed the penalties for hitting walls and others a bit too much, it should be like GT where if you hit anything or go off the track your lap is invalidated, I fear that the way things are now on some tracks it'd be faster to not brake and just hit the wall and bounce unfortunately, hopefully EVO will retighten things a bit.

It will be nice once private lobbies and further online improvements come in though, as nowadays it is very difficult to find a room with close competition, most of the time there are only a couple people joining and most of those drop leaving 1-2 to actually race, this at least is in circuit races, point-to-points seem to have more people but they are not my favorite so I don't tend to join those as often.

...What kind of server issues are there at this time?
Nothing drastic, really just been a bit cranky, like wdreamsmaycome suggests it was most likely to do with the Japan update. Generally though, it will fall out for a few minutes once in every while. The online lobbies are stable now. Before the last patch, players would be forcibly booted out after three races - now you can stay for as long as you like (well, I only did eight races as that's all I had time for, but I wasn't forced out.)

Some of the stats can be slow occasionally, as I think has also been mentioned, but again, that's a brief-lived thing and they always catch up now.

Evolution have shown though that they are keen to stay on it, so any connection problems will get better.

...I listened to the fanboys on here. Disappointed is an understatement.
Fanboys? I'm sure we don't have any of those here, just gamers who enjoy playing games.

Last edited:
In terms of AI YMMV, from my perspective the only time they ram is if you brake in the racing line way early or stuff like that (try that online, it will be the same), let's just say the AI is reasonably aggressive and not the typical pushover (like in GT6) that as soon as you end up even slightly in front they bow to your superior skills and let you pass. Personally on circuits the AI is not much of a challenge even on legend (especially if it's wet), on point to point it seems tougher, especially in the career races, but I have never felt the AI to be gratuitously dirty (nowhere near like online where sometimes you are side-by-side with somebody else and they'll plaster you into the wall)

The problem with the AI on point to point are the narrow roads, the AI tries to stick to the racing line regardless of whether you are already on it or not and with the narrow roads there is no real option other than them to take you out or the other way around. The AI don't just attack you if you break on the racing line, I can post a clip onto youtube of me accelerating away from a corner and an AI driver trying a PIT maneuver on me.

You can brake late and make the corner sometimes, but try challenging other people's fast times and you'll see that if you don't drive well (meaning, correct line, apex, correct braking point(s)) there's no way you'll be competitive.

I beg to differ, I have beaten my friends times without having to memorise the tracks, the only corners you can't brake late on are the almost hairpins. Also colliding with the barrier if you brake too late doesn't really punish.

[/QUOTE]

Here comes one now!
If you are claiming that only Sony/ Driveclub fanboys like this game, you are having a laugh! I absolutely love the game and I'm pretty sure that nobody would have me pegged as either of those based on my posting history on both Driveclub and Sony.

The problem with the AI on point to point are the narrow roads, the AI tries to stick to the racing line regardless of whether you are already on it or not

that's how most people play, you have to wait to pass until there is space, I don't think I've ever felt the AI was gratuitously ramming me once I started getting faster, when I first started playing the game I agree it felt a bit too aggressive (although quite comparable to online) but not really these days, I don't know though, as I was saying I mostly play time trial these days

I beg to differ, I have beaten my friends times without having to memorise the tracks, the only corners you can't brake late on are the almost hairpins. Also colliding with the barrier if you brake too late doesn't really punish.

not sure about your friends, I am talking actual overall game track records, evo challenges etc. I agree as I was saying in another post though that since the 1.10 patch it does not punish you enough for hitting things or going off the road anymore, hopefully that gets fixed.

When the game first came out, I thought that I had just wasted $60, mainly because of the bugs and lack of content. I literally didn't touch the game until late December, but I quickly gained interest in it (due to seeing on here the added features, online working, and the new cars and events) and bought the season pass shortly after, now I love it.

Here I am! What did I miss? Do I get a medal? Cookies? Promotions? Oh boy oh boy oh boy! :dopey:

Nothing unfortunately, just be being "mean".

If you are claiming that only Sony/ Driveclub fanboys like this game, you are having a laugh! I absolutely love the game and I'm pretty sure that nobody would have me pegged as either of those based on my posting history on both Driveclub and Sony.

Nope

I mostly play time trial these days.

How many AI cars are there in the time trials?

How many AI cars are there in the time trials?

zero, hence why I was saying I don't have as much experience with the AI these days :) I mostly play time trials against other human times, the AI would not be competitive enough for that (they are not moving chicanes like in GT5/6 but still nowhere near fast enough)

It's definitely come a long way, the update that released a few days ago along with the Japan content has made entering lobbies & races much faster and consistent for me. It's getting better and better.

Got Driveclub for Christmas. Was underwhelmed at first, thought it was pretty but largely vacant - but I don't think that now.

I'm mainly a sim fan, and DC is certainly arcadey, but not massively so. The handling is dominated by a slightly unrealistic level of grip - like having racing soft on all the time in GT6 (and MASSIVE brakes) - but within the context of the game this is alright when you get used to it. Everyone is in the same boat, and some of the physics is lovely - weight transfer to the front when you lift off is pronounced, and something that needs to be carefully considered and worked with if you want really fast times.

The AI is a bit too elastic for my liking; it's a piece of cake getting to the front of the pack, but then you need an excellent drive in a competitive car to leave the pack behind. Usually one AI car will stay close enough to punish any mistakes. I'm enjoying the tours well enough though.

But the challenge system is excellent, that's what I'm really liking. Experience on the tracks definitely does make you much quicker (and also, the tracks seemed a bit faceless at first but I've come to think that they are mainly excellent). Even given the grip and the fact that over-steer doesn't penalise your speed very much, the fastest line is nevertheless a neat and tidy line. Holding that line and clipping the dirt on the corners just right is the key.

There's an issue now where some hairpins can be taken faster by bouncing off the barriers instead of braking, which in a time trial competition scenario is pretty absurd. I consider it a big issue in a game as focused as this. If you want to compete with someone who adopts this tactic you have to adopt it yourself, which I will do (with annoyance) when aiming for the top spot, but that I wish was made impossible. It's a big spoiler to learn a circuit for an hour, shaving of tenths and hundreds for 99.8% of the lap, and then having to depend on a randomly beneficial rebound on one stupid hairpin. You can be a second faster than someone over the rest of a lap, but because they fluked a really helpful rebound they can be nearly impossible to beat, you just have to lap and lap until you get a similar rebound yourself.

However, if this is fixed then the game will be the best social challenge / ghost competition game out there. It's basically really good. It has honest, car-racing bones but this isn't obvious at first. So. My summation - some fixes still needed but if you like time trial competitions it's the best there is, definitely get it.

I totally agree with the above post, Driveclub does have an identity struggle for sure but once you get past that there's a wealth of good stuff. I think that's why it wasn't really taken well by critics, to them, theres nothing special about the game especially since everyone seems to have a gamer-hard-on for open world these days.

Back