Better Poll for Driving View (Which view can make you do better lap times?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Radracing
  • 79 comments
  • 4,778 views

What view do you use when you race in GT

  • Bumper Cam with HUD

    Votes: 69 37.7%
  • Cockpit view

    Votes: 93 50.8%
  • Hood Cam if avialable in GT5

    Votes: 36 19.7%
  • Roof Cam

    Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Outside or exterior (behind the car view)

    Votes: 19 10.4%

  • Total voters
    183

Radracing

SFGT Division Member
Premium
Messages
1,580
United States
Alameda/Califor
Messages
RADracing / RIGGracing
Which view do you think will make you drive a better lap time? Something "Jpap" suggested gave me a new thought.

All this complaining about cockpit view is really a bunch of :grumpy: ungrateful people. They don't realize the amount of work they have been devoting to give us the best game possible. Does it really affect how much the game play or experience its going to affect us if some of the cars don't get them? Do majority of the users even use cockpit view while racing? Are they even going to devote 50% of their time driving the cars that might not have a cockpit view or a blackout view compaired to the premium cars that have them? Is it even worth our time and energy whinning about cockpit view for a small minority of the cars that won't come with them? Let's find out for sure on which view is used the most. So the correct question for this poll is which view do you actually use when racing and why?

And please don't even compare Forza in this poll cuz we don't care about them since we have the day and night cycle and flashing headlights to pass, which apparently is more important to me than cockpit view. We just want to know really how important it is for cockpit view.
 
Last edited:
Bonnet/hood cam FTW. You get to see a bit of the car and a lot of the road, and more importantly, the camera is at roughly the right height.
 
I agree, some people are really ungrateful
 
Bonnet/hood cam FTW. You get to see a bit of the car and a lot of the road, and more importantly, the camera is at roughly the right height.

I agree totally and hopefully they have the HUD option with it too. :) The two most important feature in a driving view my opinion. The one flaw of the bumper cam thou is you end up with the invisible bumper that hits the car in front if you get too close. The HUD view I more important to me than the cockpit since that is what concerns me the most the cars condition and setup adjustments. Specially when they implement tire wear in the race. You got to be able to see your brake bias and front to rear differential bias and the cockpit view won't cut it for me on that choice option.
 
Last edited:
I don't like bumper cam, there simply isn't enough visual feedback. (Maybe I wouldn't need the visual feedback with force feedback from a wheel... but it's still not good enough)

I like Cockpit view. There is a lot of visual feedback.

I was planning on getting a wheel to use with cockpit view. Now I don't have to. I'm not switching views depending on the car I am in, i'm going to stick to one view. With no cockpit, it makes sense to pick chase cam, as it is what I have been using since the beginning.

A wheel wouldn't feel right with chase cam. If the bonnet cam is good I may consider getting a wheel for my second play through.

(I know i've mentioned this in about 5 threads so far... lol)
 
I use cockpit view, i`m sure, most of cars will have cockpit cam.
 
Cockpit.
 
Cockpit view. I was also planning on buying a G27 wheel with a wheelstand pro, now I'm having second thoughts. I know it will still be fine with bumper or hood cam but its just not the same for me.
 
I'd like to use:

  • Cockpit view - It would be my primary cam,
  • Hood view - If the car has really bad blind spot, and
  • Chase view - For checking if someone had scratched my back. :dopey:
 
Always used the bumper cam and I'll be using it again :sly:
 
Cockpit view. I was also planning on buying a G27 wheel with a wheelstand pro, now I'm having second thoughts. I know it will still be fine with bumper or hood cam but its just not the same for me.

Why you like looking at two sets of hands and wheels? :sly: Just kinding, but seriously thou having a wheel specially a 900 degree wheel will add to the experience in what ever view you use.:)
 
All this complaining about cockpit view is really a bunch of :grumpy: ungrateful people.

Ungrateful?... So you think we should, besides paying for the game, to be grateful?

I always thought that it was a matter of equal interest for both parties...

We wanted a great racing sim. They want us to like their game so we'd give them money.

So, who should be grateful to who?
 
I loved the bumper cam in GT4 but later on in the game I went into the Roof view because it helped me establish better of where the car was on the road and when I was following another car.
When GT5P came out I got so into the incar vew that it totaly changed the experiance for me.
 
You know I was actually always angry they were wasting so much time on detailed cockpits. As much as a sim should have cockpits, I just feel it does not simulate well the feeling of being in a car. Add to that the fact Im sure lots of people wont buy the extra accessories for the headtracking and the cockpit just feels claustrophobic.

In Prologue I truly only used it for fun every once in awhile but I would not use the view if I was attempting fast laps.
 
Ungrateful?... So you think we should, besides paying for the game, to be grateful?

I always thought that it was a matter of equal interest for both parties...

We wanted a great racing sim. They want us to like their game so we'd give them money.

So, who should be grateful to who?

Well you have the option not to buy the game. So be grateful we have one of the best racing sims and if its not for you then you are welcome to buying a different one. But apparently majority of us here are big fans. Isn't that why we are here in GTPlanet?

I loved the bumper cam in GT4 but later on in the game I went into the Roof view because it helped me establish better of where the car was on the road and when I was following another car.
When GT5P came out I got so into the incar vew that it totaly changed the experiance for me.

Good point, I do mostly all the views in replay mode depending on what part of my driving I'm trying to study. But almost always bumper since I want my HUD. It would be nice to have it with the hood view but beggars can't be choosy. Now I would like to see how well the head tracking will be like if it works out well then cockpit view will be good for me too.
 
Last edited:
(I know i've mentioned this in about 5 threads so far... lol)
It's all hot air! :lol: Once the game launches, you will get your wheel and play in either hood or bumper cam view.
 
Luckily i'm (most of the time) a Hood/Roof-Cam user...the only car in GT5P, which pissed me off with its wrong cam-height (too low) was the Jag. But anyway, since GT4 i'm used to the Hood-Cam and i really dislike the Bumper-Cam, so i will (most likely) will use the Hood-Cam.
 
Call me ungrateful. Why do they let us play with cockpitview in GT5P and then years later its gone. Don't get me wrong i play GT since i was young (so i used bumpercam) but you can't just tease people with something they do not get at the end. I would say skip nascar and put in all those nice cockpitviews like in GT5P. Besides this everything looks very good. It's just a pitty that its not in.
 
Well you have the option not to buy the game. So be grateful we have one of the best racing sims and if its not for you then you are welcome to buying a different one. But apparently majority of us here are big fans. Is that why we are here in GTPlanet?

For people here there's only two options in life; a) either love blindlessly the game and praise everything about it and be forever gratefull for PD to deliver such a marvellous thing or, b) not to buy, period!

I will buy the game. However does that not imply that I have to blind.

PD take a choice. In my view completely wrong. The game, if this latest news on standard/premium models is correct, would seemed half-finished and badly polished. My option to buy it or not, is mine, no matter what. Now I have to be as grateful to them to produce it (with its highlights and flaws), as they have to be grateful to me (and all other people around the world) for buying it.

Gratefulness/ungratefulness got nothing to do with this. Its a matter of mutual interest. Their's in my money, mine in their game. Simple as that.
 
For me I am usually more comfortable driving outside the car.
 
Luckily i'm (most of the time) a Hood/Roof-Cam user...the only car in GT5P, which pissed me off with its wrong cam-height (too low) was the Jag. But anyway, since GT4 i'm used to the Hood-Cam and i really dislike the Bumper-Cam, so i will (most likely) will use the Hood-Cam.

Yeah sometimes it feels like you are racing in a go-kart. hehe!

For people here there's only two options in life; a) either love blindlessly the game and praise everything about it and be forever gratefull for PD to deliver such a marvellous thing or, b) not to buy, period!

I will buy the game. However does that not imply that I have to blind.

PD take a choice. In my view completely wrong. The game, if this latest news on standard/premium models is correct, would seemed half-finished and badly polished. My option to buy it or not, is mine, no matter what. Now I have to be as grateful to them to produce it (with its highlights and flaws), as they have to be grateful to me (and all other people around the world) for buying it.

Gratefulness/ungratefulness got nothing to do with this. Its a matter of mutual interest. Their's in my money, mine in their game. Simple as that.

The game will always be unfinished. Every version of the game is a continuation of the last one it is part of the vision of Kazunori's GT series. If he wanted it exactly the way he wants it to be it will never be released. Now the question is what are the priorities of the next version. Aparently not cockpit views on some cars since it would takeup more of their resources to work on the other parts of the game. I'm sure Kazunori wanted it with all cars to have full details on every part including the cockpit. But they do need to release the game and if their is anything to whine about it would be getting our hands on the game. So I say again be grateful and if not hold on to your money so you don't feel that they are ungrateful. Because it took them 5 or more hard working years just to get to where the game is now. Being grateful has everything to do with GT5, think of it this way. Lets say your mother gave you some money to buy like GT5 but you wanted the collectors edition and she only gave you enough for the basic edition. Be grateful she gave you the money rather than complaining you don't have enough. Did you want her to prostitute herself just to come up with the rest of the money if it was the last cent she had? I think the word for this lesson is "humility" not blindness.

Oh and we are all not blind here if we were we wouldn't be big fans of any driving sims since we can't see our way around the track. :dopey: I'm kidding hehe! I'm a kidder. :sly:
 
Last edited:
I like Cockpit view. There is a lot of visual feedback.
With wheel however feedback is not good as the wheel in the screen does not do same things as the wheel in your hand.
 
The game will always be unfinished. Every version of the game is a continuation of the last one it is part of the vision of Kazunori's GT series. If he wanted it exactly the way he wants it to be it will never be released. Now the question is what are the priorities of the next version. Aparently not cockpit views on some cars since it would takeup more of their resources to work on the other parts of the game. I'm sure Kazunori wanted it with all cars to have full details on every part including the cockpit. But they do need to release the game and if their is anything to whine about it would be getting our hands on the game.

Your stating pretty much the obvious here.

The point about my opinion is pretty simple. PD set since ever high standards of visual quality. Those 200 premium cars do make justice to this tradition and are up to the point our best expectations would be. Congratulations to them.

Now, including in such a quality game built 800 lower quality cars doesn't make any sense and it is opposite to PD tradition of visual quality. It is even more shocking when you think the incoherence it would bring up to the game (1st class cars / 2nd class cars). My opinion on it is that they were pushed by Sony (or by the sheer costs of development itself) to deliver the game no matter what this year and, for marketing purposes solely, the goal was to deliver the highest number of cars ever seen in a game. Unfortunately at all costs, and that's what we're getting.

My opinion also, they would do a better service to fans and kept with the quality tradition of the series if they deliver the game only with premium cars, even if this means to have the game "solely" with 200 cars (quality above quantity). Then, if possible, adding in the future more cars by DLC if possible. If not, fine by me. But this way we would get a coherent content of the game, smooth and with solely one very high standard of quality.

So I say again be grateful and if not hold on to your money so you don't feel that they are ungrateful.

Why would I feel they are ungrateful? Again, this is a strictly commercial relationship between a deliverer and buyer. No grateful/ungratefulness fits in here From either way. They take a path they choose. It's their right. I, as a buyer, also have the right to criticize what I thing could/should be better on the game.

Because it took them 5 or more hard working years just to get to where the game is now. Being grateful has everything to do with GT5

No, being grateful has everything to do with fan-boyism. They do their job which is to produce games. I choose to buy those games, and since I gave them my money I can criticize weither positively the highlights of the game, either negatively what they do wrongly in my opinion. Neither they have to be grateful to me for buiyng, neither I have to grateful to them for producing it.

think of it this way. Lets say your mother gave you some money to buy like GT5 but you wanted the collectors edition and she only gave you enough for the basic edition. Be grateful she gave you the money rather than complaining you don't have enough. Did you want her to prostitute herself just to come up with the rest of the money if it was the last cent she had? I think the word for this lesson is "humility" not blindness.

Really, is this the example you choose to prove your point?...
 
Bumper cam, always!

I couldn't care less about this cockpits stuff. Bumper cam is my primary position for when I'm doing serious racing or time trialling. To be honest, I just see cockpit view as a nice extra... not something I'd use seriously, but is a nice addition nevertheless.
 
In GT4 I drive with the bumper cam.
In GT5P I drive using the cockpit cam.
In GT5 I will drive using the cockpit cam when possible if not I'll drive bumper.

One thing I'd like to do is to remove all of the HUD when driving using the cockpit, it feels even more immersive. Imagine driving a NASCAR on the Ring, cockpit view without the HUD. :drool:
 
Chase cam. That's how it's always been for me, and that's how it'll stay. :sly:

And I agree about the ungratefulness of people. 👍
 
I use the cockpit cam (in prologue and NFS shift) more when doing time trials or racing the AI(sometimes) but for online races i use the bumper cam as the mirrors don't always show what around you and would not want to mess a clean race up just cause i needed to use the cars mirrors instead of the games center mirror.

i voted for bumper cam
 
I use the cockpit cam (in prologue and NFS shift) more when doing time trials or racing the AI(sometimes) but for online races i use the bumper cam as the mirrors don't always show what around you and would not want to mess a clean race up just cause i needed to use the cars mirrors instead of the games center mirror.

i voted for bumper cam

This addresses a concept that could have been included in the available choices ..... various views. Since before cockpits were available, all we basically had were bumper and chase views. I have always driven in chase view mostly because of the improved track sightlines. When Prologue hit, I was enamored with the awesome cockpit views and immediately switched my orientation as such. As I advanced through the game and got my first taste of GT online, I suddenly became aware of a code of ethics asking that I avoid contact at all costs. I simply found that I needed to be back out in chase view in order to see any potential for contact around me.

Bottom line is that I race AI and career in Cockpit view and do all my online racing in Chase view. Adapting to Chase view using a wheel takes some getting used to but is perfectly fine with me now :)

I can understand the evolution of the game and what seems to be transpiring with std/prem cars. I have always said that I would take better track variety over car count anyday. 200 beautifully modeled cars is more than enough for me. Give me more tracks and the game life increases exponentially.

As for some of the people's responses here ...... Remember, happiness is a choice :)
 
Back