Better watch out when this happens...

  • Thread starter Thread starter helseth
  • 55 comments
  • 7,145 views

helseth

Old fart - prrrrrrrt.
Premium
Messages
206
Norway
Notodden/Norway
Messages
rolandvg99
It started a few days ago with small random micro freezes riding around Willow Springs, Then an audio glitch when I first booted 1.04 trying to fling the Mercedes around Bathurst in that flashy seasonal event. Now today, it fr... fr... oze... when entering the Silverstone S-Class event after 2 hours of play. Some foul language -> Rebooted -> damaged filesystem -> recovered -> rebooted -> looooooooong boot still insisting on the filesystem being shot -> aborted recovery -> backed up my game saves to disk (cloud already updated) -> tried full system backup -> shutdown with error code.

Removed HDD from my PS3 and brought it to my diagnostics PC -> S.M.A.R.T. = O.K. -> Short self diagnosis = fail in multiple sectors. HDD Reconstruct = Change disk now!

Conclusion: Old 320GB Toshiba out, new 1TB Toshiba in.

Good thing I have a fast line...
 
Bad luck.
I'd be clueless if my PS3 croaked on me.
- Think I will back up to my flash drive key fob thing.
 
I've predicted it...this could have happened to anyone and I think more will follow
 
I've been experiencing a few freezes myself while doing the Seasonal TT's. On the last freeze today, the screen went totally blank...froze for about 10 minutes before I rebooted. Also experiencing slow loading times on the Seasonals. My internet is fine, its on Sony's/PD's side as sometimes I can't even log into the PSN, as in it "times out" because it takes so long to log in. Really wish they would get their 🤬 together, its really getting annoying.
 
Yep, my game froze right after I was able to gold the KTM seasonal, and I wasn't able to save my game.

After I reloaded GT6, the KTM reset back to 0 miles, all the settings I did, and the credits went back to what it was before I ran the seasonals. So...I had redo all the suspension, tranny and other settings and win the gold again, even though my previous time was listed.
 
I experienced frequent 1/2-1 second pauses and stuttering in the Willow Springs S-class event and haven't played any S-class events since. Is this something that 1.04 has broken, or is my old 40GB hdd inevitably on the way out?

I haven't played much of anything since, but the couple of I-A events I've raced had no abnormal stuttering or pauses.
 
I have yet to experience any kind of freezing. Ever. Except the menu "hold up-clock-spin-thing"
 
This confirms my suspicions that people having freezes with gt6 have had a dying or corrupt hard disk. Thats why some people have been having a problem free gt6 experience and others aren't. GT6 is reliable otherwise.
 
Yep, my game froze right after I was able to gold the KTM seasonal, and I wasn't able to save my game.

After I reloaded GT6, the KTM reset back to 0 miles, all the settings I did, and the credits went back to what it was before I ran the seasonals. So...I had redo all the suspension, tranny and other settings and win the gold again, even though my previous time was listed.

Yep, I've had that happen to me too, more than once. Seems like these things are getting worse. I just wonder if it has anything to do with both GT5 & 6 running at once, or if they have two different dedicated servers for both games. I'm not quite sure how any of that stuff works, so I'm just hazarding a guess here.

@xSNAKEx I have to disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with my HDD, it is only a few months old and otherwise works flawlessly. The only time I have trouble is online. My other games work just fine, both online and off. It is only GT6 online that I have problems with.
 
This confirms my suspicions that people having freezes with gt6 have had a dying or corrupt hard disk. Thats why some people have been having a problem free gt6 experience and others aren't. GT6 is reliable otherwise.

I highly doubt so many people that play GT6 have dying hard drives, especially when almost everyone was experiencing triple beep issues and PS3 crashes when trying to shut the system off while playing GT6. I have tons of freezes and crashes ONLY when playing GT6. All my other games work fine, and I don't upgrade my How's. HDD's (stupid auto correct!:lol:) It's on PD's end.
 
Last edited:
I highly doubt so many people that play GT6 have dying hard drives, especially when almost everyone was experiencing triple beep issues and PS3 crashes when trying to shut the system off while playing GT6. I have tons of freezes and crashes ONLY when playing GT6. All my other games work fine, and I don't upgrade my How's. It's on PD's end.

I dunno, I have played gt6 on at least 4 consoles and haven't had any weird issues like that. I have had triple beep problems when updating for example or if you try shut it off why gt6 is saving/loading but these are known bugs.
 
I highly doubt its the game that killed your hard drive, it will be your equipment.

Whenever a new game comes out people blame it for killing their system, people said it about GT5, now GT6, people have even said it about GTA5 and COD. If this was the case then it would happen to everyone, but it only happens to around 1% of people which is pretty good evidence that it is not the games fault and the problem lies with old or faulty equipment.

I have not had any problems whatsoever with GT6, not one freeze, not one crash and not one triple beep (touch wood), therefore it cannot be the game.
 
GT5 B-Spec killed my PS3 Fatty
GT6 killed my PS3 Slim HDD

To be honest it all boils down to how long you torture your PS3 with gaming. My fatty had B-Speced for 3 days straight and my slim has been on the same HDD for 3 years with mostly PSN downloaded games. I do not blame this on PD.
 
I highly doubt its the game that killed your hard drive, it will be your equipment.

Whenever a new game comes out people blame it for killing their system, people said it about GT5, now GT6, people have even said it about GTA5 and COD. If this was the case then it would happen to everyone, but it only happens to around 1% of people which is pretty good evidence that it is not the games fault and the problem lies with old or faulty equipment.

I have not had any problems whatsoever with GT6, not one freeze, not one crash and not one triple beep (touch wood), therefore it cannot be the game.

I'm not saying its the game in my case. I'm saying its an online issue. I never had any problems either until after the 2nd update/patch, then things started gradually getting worse. Its a PSN server issue and nothing to do with my HDD, as previously suggested.
 
I have not had any real issues here, I have had a few freezes around 6 3 of which were online, 1 after loading the 1.02 update and a couple in the menus but considering that I have played every day since release this is not a big deal.

HDDs in general do not last that long, 3-5 years is pretty good, sometimes you will get lucky and get over 5 years even as long as 10 but this is rare and more will fail in less than 3 years than will last over 5. I make a habit of backing up my save game on a USB stick fairly often just in case and I made a full HD backup a while back on an external drive. Recently I bought a SSD which I intended to put in my PC but am now thinking of trying it in the PS3 and see how much of a boost it gives me.

I haven't tried this yet but am wondering If I were to do the system backup to this SSD and then install the SSD would that work or do I need to install the SSD format and then restore a backup onto it?
 
I have not had any real issues here, I have had a few freezes around 6 3 of which were online, 1 after loading the 1.02 update and a couple in the menus but considering that I have played every day since release this is not a big deal.

HDDs in general do not last that long, 3-5 years is pretty good, sometimes you will get lucky and get over 5 years even as long as 10 but this is rare and more will fail in less than 3 years than will last over 5. I make a habit of backing up my save game on a USB stick fairly often just in case and I made a full HD backup a while back on an external drive. Recently I bought a SSD which I intended to put in my PC but am now thinking of trying it in the PS3 and see how much of a boost it gives me.

I haven't tried this yet but am wondering If I were to do the system backup to this SSD and then install the SSD would that work or do I need to install the SSD format and then restore a backup onto it?

Backup to another drive and not to the SSD. Then out with the old, in with the SSD and recover from the backup.
 
I experienced frequent 1/2-1 second pauses and stuttering in the Willow Springs S-class event and haven't played any S-class events since. Is this something that 1.04 has broken, or is my old 40GB hdd inevitably on the way out?

I haven't played much of anything since, but the couple of I-A events I've raced had no abnormal stuttering or pauses.

I had some frame rate issues in that race. Not really this long pauses but the frame rate dropped for a short moment. I had a feeling that it happened when the AI pitted.
 
I know i should do a full backup of my hdd but with over 600gb of data I know it's going to take forever!
I did a full backup on my last drive with 250gb and that took ages and then about twice as long to restore to the new 750gb drive I installed. To top it all off the restore failed in the end and eventually I had to give up and redownload/install all my games. :grumpy:
 
I'm not saying its the game in my case. I'm saying its an online issue. I never had any problems either until after the 2nd update/patch, then things started gradually getting worse. Its a PSN server issue and nothing to do with my HDD, as previously suggested.
You say that your connection is good - from my own experience, talking with friends from the US on another site, the average Mbps isn't very high over there. I only say this as the server traffic can get hectic at times and that can give problems if your connection speed is comparatively low.

I have a good connection speed (75Mbps) and even connect wirelessly to the hub which is one floor down and something like twenty metres away - I have had no problems.
 
Last edited:
Connection speed is one thing, but variable latency is often the main offender regarding connection issues.
 
I had some frame rate issues in that race. Not really this long pauses but the frame rate dropped for a short moment. I had a feeling that it happened when the AI pitted.
I had some frame rate dropping like you at Suzuka 10 lap race.
I guess AI pitting is the problem.
Don't think a game or any update could be the cause of HDD failure.
Now I'm going to backup my game saves... Just in case... ;)
 
Btw, my PS3 is getting on it's "feet" again, ready for todays 200% login bonus.
 
It? No, the HDD killed itself.

Happens, but doesn't really have much to do with GT6.

All disks eventually fail. That's just the way it is. Back up as frequently as possible, on a PS3 or your computer. Better safe than sorry.
 
I had all of those OP mentioned problems, hard to blame GT6 alone or "hard drive".
Maybe GT6 leaves writes open too often or just not have cache flushing, some stupidity might be on drive writes handling, opening too many files at once and forget some of them open even not needed.
My "HDD" is OCZ Vector SSD, bought it for GT6, so not old.
 
One of the biggest enemies of a HDD is an unstable power source. If you live in a place where your power flickers a lot, goes out momentarily, drops voltage, surges or any such thing then a HDD can have a very short life span.


As for bandwidth in the US, it varies but has been getting better over the years. Here in the town I live we had a 1mb connection in 2003, up to 3mb in 2005 then a few years later 10mb and now 25mb.

My experience with wireless connections is that they are not very fast especially if they are very far away, I had a wireless card in my wifes computer and it was ok for the internet but if I were to try and copy a large file say 100mb or more then it was painfully slow. I have since ran cables upstairs to hard wire everything and no problems at all now.

I uses hard wires connections for both the PS and XBox even though i have a router setting just a few feet away it is better with the hard wired connection.
 
Just happened to me after having major triple beep freezes. Since the 1.04 update I have had about 35 triple beep freezes. Today after this last one it finnally corrupted my whole entire HDD.

I am very familiar with the safe mode options on the PS3, none of them will fix this problem. When you get this screen there will be no fixing.
Messenger_5849933383984747709_13947328052754229.jpg
 
Just happened to me after having major triple beep freezes. Since the 1.04 update I have had about 35 triple beep freezes. Today after this last one it finnally corrupted my whole entire HDD.

I am very familiar with the safe mode options on the PS3, none of them will fix this problem. When you get this screen there will be no fixing. View attachment 127519
Ouch.

Another one bites the dust.

Good luck sorting it, hope you had a backup on USB.
 
Back