Better watch out when this happens...

  • Thread starter Thread starter helseth
  • 55 comments
  • 7,145 views
@Lock2Lock, you're lucky if formatting drive fixes it, on mine case bit over month old SSD broke completely, ps3+ GT6 did it's job and firmware of SSD corrupted bricking whole drive.
My only luck was nearly brand new drive and warranty what replaces new SSD for me, what's now waiting GT6's spec 2 release, coz not pushing my luck anymore with these early versions of GT6.
 
Tried everything and ended up having to do a full format. It solved the problem. I have a WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD by the way. I had checked the HDD for bad sectors on my PC and also listened for knocking (knocking had occurred on my original HDD after a corruption).


I lost everything on my HDD besides my accounts being on my PS3. Which that is my main issue. I had a huge amount of music some of which I didn't have a backup for. All of my pictures are gone too.

Mainly that was the data I cared about.


But the game is running smoothly now. If this happens again on GT6 I will not be playing anymore. I am not killing my fatty PS3 just to play this game
 
I am not killing my fatty PS3 just to play this game


Hey if you believe in magic (believing GT6 can damage the HDD is believing in magic) then why not just get Harry Potter to magic you up an invincible PS3?

GT5 B-Spec killed my PS3 Fatty
GT6 killed my PS3 Slim HDD

GT5 killed my SSD also. My two other OCZ SSD's that also failed in my PCs just failed because they were crap, but I am 100% sure that GT5 killed that SSD because there is literally no other explanation for a component that commonly fails failing in a console.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey if you believe in magic (believing GT6 can damage the HDD is believing in magic) then why not just get Harry Potter to magic you up an invincible PS3?
Nice use of sarcasm there.

I fail to see how it would be "something magical". Explain to me how when every game runs completely fine, PS3 is running great. Then this particular game froze several times right after the 1.05 update, enough to hard freeze the PS3 every single time in the process. Then the HDD gets corrupted? So how is that not logical.

It isn't the HDD. It didn't have any bad sectors, no evidence of knocking, slow downs, ect. So please explain how that would be magical

If you have never heard of a game causing a system to crash, you must not pay attention to gaming news much.


Also, don't know if you are new here, but watch tge double posts.

Also if you do not know, but SDD are not the most durable HDD out there. They are good HDD but they still have issues. Reason I would never put them in a console is they can't be overwritten many times which can cause them to fail.
 
Last edited:
GT5 killed my SSD also. My two other OCZ SSD's that also failed in my PCs just failed because they were crap, but I am 100% sure that GT5 killed that SSD because there is literally no other explanation for a component that commonly fails failing in a console.
Small mathematics: Game runs and then it jams same way as it does on several people, after three beep reboot SSD is bricked. What conclusion you can take from it? "Sudden power loss" to SSD is not the safest way to do power off on it.
Can I blame PS3? GT6? OCZ? - All problems started from those Freezes/three beep boots what GT6 commonly have.

I know about "OCZ Reliability" - but it's not bricking it self commonly, you need to treat it "wrong" first, some SSD's are more vulnerable than others to "Sudden Power Off" situation, but hey Console/PC/or any other SSD usage peripheral should not kill power like GT6+PS3 doeas. (hardly jamming and booting are so wanted things to have on console game :))
(Barefoot 3 was on earlier, now replacement with Bafefoot 3 M10 controller, on newest firmwares, maybe this will work, when someday again put it in, Seagate Momentus Hybrid would work until then)

I have one wild speculation on my mind; What if PD squeezes all out from PS3 hardware by Overclocking it, rising voltages and/or frequency on buses what are connected also to device bus and so rising voltage on SATA bus also and peaking HDD's on error situations? Or some other OverClocking problem what makes real hardware failures on not wanted situations?
-This Overclocking would be easiest way to explain/understand why there is so many problems on people, and still some who are not having any, same what goes on normal PC overclocking to limits, some identical hardware pieces can handle more than others, even on identical environment.
 
Last edited:
Tried everything and ended up having to do a full format. It solved the problem. I have a WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD by the way. I had checked the HDD for bad sectors on my PC and also listened for knocking (knocking had occurred on my original HDD after a corruption).


I lost everything on my HDD besides my accounts being on my PS3. Which that is my main issue. I had a huge amount of music some of which I didn't have a backup for. All of my pictures are gone too.

Mainly that was the data I cared about.


But the game is running smoothly now. If this happens again on GT6 I will not be playing anymore. I am not killing my fatty PS3 just to play this game

That might be the real issue :) I never had issues on GT6, it works much smoother than GT5 IMO. I drove many miles , tuning, testing replicas and tunes. Each of my replicas built at least have 200 miles or more on the odo, some have over a thousand :) I have 9 months old Slim PS3 ( no music when in game, 1080i )- HDD upgraded to Seagate 500GB.
 
Mine just locked up today after doing testing at Nurb Nord. Weird first time.
 
Have anyone found the reason for this? I'm holding back on playing until it's fixed. :boggled:
 
what if I pull out the HDD from my PS3 Slim and put it into a new PS3 Super Slim?
will I have to format it?
 
My HDD corrupted back in early January, and I had to start all over again - ontop of losing all of my other games' savefiles as well. I was able to save the drive by doing a format. Luckily the early seasonals had lots of credits so I could get back on my feet again.

The reason its corrupting save files is that the same auto-saves much more frequently than GT5 or any other game for PS3. In doing so, it's causing the HDD to generate more heat than it would just reading the disk image. When the system can't handle the excess heat or comes across an error, it locks up instead of stuttering. If the HDD is being written to at that time, it will corrupt the entire disk. They may have fixed this with SSDs, but this is still a major problem for disk-based HDs.

what if I pull out the HDD from my PS3 Slim and put it into a new PS3 Super Slim?
will I have to format it?
If it's a different model PS3, then most likely you will need to reformat it. The best bet is to backup the HDD onto another storage unit, like an external HD or USB via laptop. Then, once the HDD is formatted for the new PS3, you can restore the files onto it and it should load up without issues.
 
Nice use of sarcasm there.

I fail to see how it would be "something magical". Explain to me how when every game runs completely fine, PS3 is running great. Then this particular game froze several times right after the 1.05 update, enough to hard freeze the PS3 every single time in the process. Then the HDD gets corrupted? So how is that not logical.

It isn't the HDD. It didn't have any bad sectors, no evidence of knocking, slow downs, ect. So please explain how that would be magical

If you have never heard of a game causing a system to crash, you must not pay attention to gaming news much.


Also, don't know if you are new here, but watch tge double posts.

Also if you do not know, but SDD are not the most durable HDD out there. They are good HDD but they still have issues. Reason I would never put them in a console is they can't be overwritten many times which can cause them to fail.


You are the one trying to say game software can damage hardware, the null hypotheses is that it can not. You have to prove how this could possibly happen (just a hint, it is impossible).

Of course I have heard of a game causing a system to crash, that has nothing to do with it. Powering off a HDD while it is active can cause data loss, but not physical damage.

And until this software has an option to respond to more than one post I have no option but to double post, it is enforced by this horrible blogging software hacked into a forum.

Small mathematics: Game runs and then it jams same way as it does on several people, after three beep reboot SSD is bricked. What conclusion you can take from it? "Sudden power loss" to SSD is not the safest way to do power off on it.
Can I blame PS3? GT6? OCZ? - All problems started from those Freezes/three beep boots what GT6 commonly have.

I know about "OCZ Reliability" - but it's not bricking it self commonly, you need to treat it "wrong" first, some SSD's are more vulnerable than others to "Sudden Power Off" situation, but hey Console/PC/or any other SSD usage peripheral should not kill power like GT6+PS3 doeas. (hardly jamming and booting are so wanted things to have on console game :))
(Barefoot 3 was on earlier, now replacement with Bafefoot 3 M10 controller, on newest firmwares, maybe this will work, when someday again put it in, Seagate Momentus Hybrid would work until then)

I have one wild speculation on my mind; What if PD squeezes all out from PS3 hardware by Overclocking it, rising voltages and/or frequency on buses what are connected also to device bus and so rising voltage on SATA bus also and peaking HDD's on error situations? Or some other OverClocking problem what makes real hardware failures on not wanted situations?
-This Overclocking would be easiest way to explain/understand why there is so many problems on people, and still some who are not having any, same what goes on normal PC overclocking to limits, some identical hardware pieces can handle more than others, even on identical environment.

My three OCZ SSDs did indeed brick themselves. It is very, very common for that brand (especially with their old vortex series). There is no need to treat them badly beforehand and turning the power off while an SSD is doing something will not damage it at all.

What you are saying about overclocking the PS3 hardware is just stupid. A PS3 application simply can not access those systems period.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What you are saying about overclocking the PS3 hardware is just stupid. A PS3 application simply can not access those systems period.
Like I said "one wild speculation", and still giving more wind on my dream boat sails, PD is still Sony's pet company who makes their PS3 generation flagship, entire generation is evolving slowly to PS4 age, it won't hurt if System software gives some nice OC features available for PD.
 
What you are saying about overclocking the PS3 hardware is just stupid. A PS3 application simply can not access those systems period.

If you recall early generations of PS3, there was still an "install other OS" option for quite some time. If someone were to install a Microsoft or Linux-bases OS they could, in theory, overclock the CPU if they had the proper software installed. Sony may have a protocol against such things, but only someone running a custom OS on the PS3 would be able to tell you for sure.
 
Just happened to me after having major triple beep freezes. Since the 1.04 update I have had about 35 triple beep freezes. Today after this last one it finnally corrupted my whole entire HDD.

I am very familiar with the safe mode options on the PS3, none of them will fix this problem. When you get this screen there will be no fixing. View attachment 127519
Agh...I had that happen once. Hope you have PS+.
 
You are the one trying to say game software can damage hardware, the null hypotheses is that it can not. You have to prove how this could possibly happen (just a hint, it is impossible).

Of course I have heard of a game causing a system to crash, that has nothing to do with it. Powering off a HDD while it is active can cause data loss, but not physical damage.

And until this software has an option to respond to more than one post I have no option but to double post, it is enforced by this horrible blogging software hacked into a forum.

You need to read through my posts and show where I said it damaged the HDD itself (a little hint, I never did say that).

The HDD is completely fine. If you actually read through my posts instead of coming up with more sarcastic comments maybe you would have noticed that I never said the HDD is done, but only corrupted. See your not the only one who can use sarcasm
 
My PS3 has had at least 15 triple beep restarts. All of them from GT6. PD is doing something wrong. (Well they are doing many things wrong but this is serious) My HDD isn't corrupted though.
 
Triple beep is usually hardware problems. I used to have recurring triple beep on my YLOD Slim PS3, it happened on Fallout 3 GOTY, then GT5, then it spread slowly to other games. Then it happen even when idling on XMB, then RIP PS3 :(

For comparison, my relatively new Slim PS3 never have triple beep or freezes when playing GT6, I have logged thousands of miles online + offline, testing, tuning, cruising, etc.
 
And until this software has an option to respond to more than one post I have no option but to double post, it is enforced by this horrible blogging software hacked into a forum.
Every time you click reply, the post contents are added to the reply box within properly formatted quote tags, whether there's existing text in the reply box or not. It doesn't overwrite existing text, merely places it at the last cursor position.

This allows you to quote multiple posts in a single click on each. In fact you can do it multiple times for one post if you like.
 
I lose sound at barthrust all time like it goes in and out and I freeze if I let the game idle for more than 20 minutes I just had Sony redo my HDD hope this thing holds out until a buya ps4
 
This confirms my suspicions that people having freezes with gt6 have had a dying or corrupt hard disk. Thats why some people have been having a problem free gt6 experience and others aren't. GT6 is reliable otherwise.

It's not an old PS3 issue I regularly switch between games & between GT5 & 6 & it's only GT6 that freezes & plays up. Not every time I play mind, maybe once a week. Although every time I try to go online with it it inevitably crashes. Can't be certain that online crashes aren't caused by Internet issues at my end at least some of the time, but GT5 online is WAYYYYY more stable.
 
The HDD is very often very loud when playing GT6, still searching (or installing) something. This is not good.
 
Every time you click reply, the post contents are added to the reply box within properly formatted quote tags, whether there's existing text in the reply box or not. It doesn't overwrite existing text, merely places it at the last cursor position.

This allows you to quote multiple posts in a single click on each. In fact you can do it multiple times for one post if you like.

Ah thanks, didn't notice that. Still it jumps to the end of the page, really annoying to have to keep finding your place again and again but better than nothing.


You need to read through my posts and show where I said it damaged the HDD itself (a little hint, I never did say that).

I am not killing my fatty PS3 just to play this game

You can not kill the PS3 unless you damage the hardware. Please don't try to back pedal.
 
It's not an old PS3 issue I regularly switch between games & between GT5 & 6 & it's only GT6 that freezes & plays up. Not every time I play mind, maybe once a week. Although every time I try to go online with it it inevitably crashes. Can't be certain that online crashes aren't caused by Internet issues at my end at least some of the time, but GT5 online is WAYYYYY more stable.

You should understand when I say freezes I mean playing the game in offline mode, not even connected to the internet at all. You cannot compare PS3s to each other when the internet connection is in the equation, as these vary WILDY across the globe form person to person and could likely culprit. What does not vary is the game disc. We all have the same one (give or take minor regional differences that don't seem to affect stability) so the fact the game has never crashed or frozen for most people in this case means the game is is stable, which is what we are discussing. If it was unstable EVERYONE would be getting freezes, which clearly they don't. So the only thing left is your PS3.

I've had black screens in online mode too, and its possible gt6 more sensitive to this than gt5, but its definitely related to my internet connection dropping packets or playing up.
 
I never have any freezes or crashes, already have over 23.300km distance driven, with over 3900km at Bathurst :)

More than likely PS3 issue than the game, I do have Japan/Asia 1st print Limited Edition disc, but I think non Japanese disc print all are the same :)
 
The HDD is very often very loud when playing GT6, still searching (or installing) something. This is not good.
The HDD or the BD-ROM?
Digital version or disc version of the game?
 
It started a few days ago with small random micro freezes riding around Willow Springs, Then an audio glitch when I first booted 1.04 trying to fling the Mercedes around Bathurst in that flashy seasonal event. Now today, it fr... fr... oze... when entering the Silverstone S-Class event after 2 hours of play. Some foul language -> Rebooted -> damaged filesystem -> recovered -> rebooted -> looooooooong boot still insisting on the filesystem being shot -> aborted recovery -> backed up my game saves to disk (cloud already updated) -> tried full system backup -> shutdown with error code.

Removed HDD from my PS3 and brought it to my diagnostics PC -> S.M.A.R.T. = O.K. -> Short self diagnosis = fail in multiple sectors. HDD Reconstruct = Change disk now!

Conclusion: Old 320GB Toshiba out, new 1TB Toshiba in.

Good thing I have a fast line...
You mean you can swap in any SATA hard drive when you need to?
 
Back