• 173 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
https://www.facebook.com/notes/gt-academy/drivers-wantedracing-drivers/10154089496613504?pnref=story

- European racecamp will be held in Abu Dhabi
- No Russia or Sweden (Brazil promised for 2016)
- No more independent racecamps (three weeks of competition instead of four as per the last three years). The US is now thrown into the 'International' fold along with a few familiars (USA, Australia, Mexico, Egypt, Algeria, Turkey). Still no official confirmation on Canada...
- GT Academy Asia is here and Japan will finally get a real shot! (Japan, India, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia)

More to come later, for now, let's discuss what this means for the competition!

Update -
From the European official rules:
1.3 – To enter this Competition, each Entrant must:
(j) not have competed at a GT Academy Territory Finals (or equivalent or similar stages in any jurisdiction) in the 2013 and/or 2014 GT Academy competition

More info here: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-academy-europes-controversial-rule-change-explained/

Last edited:
the prize is one season in blancpain endurance championships . well this is something that deserve pain and hard work

In regards to Canada's confirmation, I sent GT Academy North America a message on FB, asking if Canada will be included.. we'll see if they get back to me. I'll keep this updated if I find anything out

Edit: also sent a message to the GT Academy page.

Last edited:
No confirmation on Middle East one either? :confused:

Egypt, Algeria, Turkey

Those are the ME countries eligible this year, there is no ME-only competition this year - in-fact, there's no independent racecamps at all.

Any idea of the racecamp date?

We don't know yet, since things typically move fast in the Academy, you should expect a late Summer date, as usual. But with things changing, you never know.

So we're no longer an NA division like previous years? Ugh, my motivation for this just went down even more...

It was always nice to be able to figure out where I stacked up in the country at a glance.

So, I'm a little confused here. Does this mean that there will only be 4 finalist positions for the U.S. this year or is it still the 32? as it was last year?

So, I'm a little confused here. Does this mean that there will only be 4 finalist positions for the U.S. this year or is it still the 32? as it was last year?

The way I read it, only 20 will go to US Finals and from that group, a mere 6 advance. Those 6 will join winners from a few other countries.

In other words, the cutline will be much lower.

Egypt, Algeria, Turkey

Those are the ME countries eligible this year, there is no ME-only competition this year - in-fact, there's no independent racecamps at all.

We don't know yet, since things typically move fast in the Academy, you should expect a late Summer date, as usual. But with things changing, you never know.
Wardez, those are not ME countries. Egypt and Algeria are African countries and Turkey is European.

GT Academy Europe will be in Abu Dhabi? :eek: Wow, I definitely didn't see that coming. It might be tricky to learn the Yas Marina circuit since it's not available in many simulators. I guess I could try an Assetto Corsa mod, though.

It's probably best for there to be no independent race camps, seeing as it's somewhat unfair on people from non-independent countries; for example, it would have been much easier to be German champion than European champion. That said, I think the European Race Camp will still be the hardest to win... *gulp*

Not being held in Silverstone? There goes my interest.
Unsure but if the others are going elsewhere, then it makes sense to have all the Academies in the same location.

That being said, GTA is certainly changing every year to further weed out anyone who isn't 110% committed to winning the whole thing. Anyone who's mainly looking for a free (except the crazy taxes) ride and a chance to drive fast cars are all but out of luck now.

In other words, we are screwed.
More so if we later find out Canada will take some of those spots.

The way I read it, only 20 will go to US Finals and from that group, a mere 6 advance. Those 6 will join winners from a few other countries.

In other words, the cutline will be much lower.

Well, there goes any last hope I had of being a finalist....looks like my dream got squashed before I even got started. :mad: Ah well, I'll still compete and do the best I can and see what happens, but this is it for me. This just further cements my decision to move on and leave PD behind.

I wouldn't be able to fly anyway if I somehow did qualify, so location doesn't matter all that much. Silverstone, to me, is a more interesting place to hold a race camp instead of Yas Marina.

Well, there goes any last hope I had of being a finalist....looks like my dream got squashed before I even got started. :mad: Ah well, I'll still compete and do the best I can and see what happens, but this is it for me. This just further cements my decision to move on and leave PD behind.

Look at it this way. For how everyone thinks I'm "alien fast", it took me years to just barely make the cut two years ago. Persistence got me in more than anything else.

From a non-competitor standpoint, I like the change of location. I've never been a huge fan of Silverstone. It just isn't my type of track. Abu Dhabi on the other hand: 👍

(I'm not old enough to qualify. I'm just in it for that LMP2. Lol.)

Pretty sure only the European Camp is held at Yas Marina.

That's what I'm getting too, seems some people skipped reading that part.

The checkered flag drops to end the online competition Tuesday, June 16 at 3:59 p.m. Eastern (12:59 p.m. Pacific). When the competition ends, eligible* competitors with the 20 fastest in-game race times in the GT6 qualifying challenge will earn invitations to the U.S. Finals in mid-July. From there, the best six advance to the International GT Academy Boot Camp at Silverstone in the U.K. in August. You can witness the Nissan GT Academy experience firsthand by watching this electrifying video. *Learn more about GT Academy at www.gtacademyUSA.com .

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_4484973.html?t=academy

So the USA will go to Silverstone still.

Back