Big changes for GT Academy in 2015

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 173 comments
There is actually very little real car challenges at the nationals. (just 1 Autocross challenge = ~30 seconds driving)
The UK national final last year had a 60s autocross course, which each driver got two practice sighter runs at before setting their competitive time.

There is actually very little real car challenges at the nationals. (just 1 Autocross challenge = ~30 seconds driving)
Lol... Yes.. I wasnt saying theres a huge amount... But even before you get to race camp, its introduced... Best way too look at it is check out the previous winners... Just like outlaw said, there the ones that go on to win it usually... Gaetan had huge amounts of real life experience before he even got to race camp, videos and dates on his youtube channel even showed that... Same with many of the other race camp finalists. He went through like he was something special... No matter how fast you are on GT, at some point you have to stop and think.. 'If i make it can i or could i compete with someone at that level already?'

And yes the gaming aspect decides qualification, pretty sure at nationals though you do real car challenges... So clearly thats telling you gaming aint everything
Then why even have a gaming element in the first place? It makes sense from a marketing standpoint to say "Hey! Our game is producing real drivers" but the Academy may get even better results by eliminating the game portion completely from the competition. That could be the direction it may go anyways assuming it does continue.

I agree outlaw.. The gaming part is simply the reason this competition exists... But when theres rules like you only get one shot at it if u reach race camp then why go unprepared.... Why waste your opportunity.. If this really is your dream, you will prepare well. I aint saying anyone should turn it down if they qualify but to win this competition you have to be more than just a GT alien... Thats all im trying to say, stop and think or open your eyes and look at whats already been before... To win EVERYTHING matters, and certainly real life experience will prevail almost all of the time.

The 8 that make race camp will be the 8 that deserve to go... They qualified on this years rules. Its as simple as that.

Whether they win, comes down to everything else...

I agree outlaw.. The gaming part is simply the reason this competition exists... But when theres rules like you only get one shot at it if u reach race camp then why go unprepared.... Why waste your opportunity.. If this really is your dream, you will prepare well. I aint saying anyone should turn it down if they qualify but to win this competition you have to be more than just a GT alien... Thats all im trying to say, stop and think or open your eyes and look at whats already been before... To win EVERYTHING matters, and certainly real life experience will prevail almost all of the time.

The 8 that make race camp will be the 8 that deserve to go... They qualified on this years rules. Its as simple as that.

Whether they win, comes down to everything else...
I don't believe anyone is questioning what's required to have a chance to win. I'm just not a fan on how they sell the concept because it gives the wrong impression that all someone needs is Gran Turismo to be a race car driver. There's a lot of work and sacrifice involved, never mind the high cost involved just to get ready.

Agreed... I may have been harsh in some of my comments and there is plenty to disagree with in what iv said... But theres also alot of truth...

I just dont like the fact that people will complain when theyve had numerous chances... Taking a year out isnt the end of the world or a reason to kick off about it... You should take the positives from it, the fact you have another year to prepare and be in an even stronger position to compete next year... Countries are already talking about being back next year, new countries are only just getting a first real attempt... Even japan!

The competition is almost certain for next year, and people wont be ineligible forever... This years competitors may be ineligible themselves next year... So thats just the way it is and all these super aliens will be bck without a complaint in sight...

I just think there should be more respect for the fact this competition is even here at all and at the fact they've already had chances others have been dreaming of and waiting for.

Thats a point i have to accept... But its not the first time some form of rules in competition, high or low level, have had late changes or made controvesy... Theres a ton of good things about what they have done and a ton of bad things they have done. The debate, argument could go on forever and we will all be right and wrong about certain things.

The way i look at it is, nissan/pd make the decisions, its their competition, its still going,no sign of stopping anytime soon as there still expanding... You can stick with it or turn your back on it, you have the choice. Everyone doing this shares the same passion and goal and for those that this really matters too, then were gunna see them for aslong as it goes on.

The UK national final last year had a 60s autocross course, which each driver got two practice sighter runs at before setting their competitive time.
Yeah, there is ofcourse the 2 practice rounds, I didn't count those. :) but if it was 60s your course was longer than ours.

Yeah, there is ofcourse the 2 practice rounds, I didn't count those. :) but if it was 60s your course was longer than ours.
It was shorter for me :D

Also, I cheated a bit. Well, "used all the tools at my disposal to ensure success". There were stopboxes meant to simulate pit boxes and you had to stop so that all of the car was inside all of the box - if the rear was out, you got a 5s penalty. So when I got into the car, I angled the driver's side wingmirror down to see the position of the cone before I set off :lol:

So there's no chance for previous national finalists of Europe.Pain in the a**....so what about the international and GT academy Asia.....do they have the same obligation too???:banghead:

So there's no chance for previous national finalists of Europe.Pain in the a**....so what about the international and GT academy Asia.....do they have the same obligation too???:banghead:

That rule only affects the European GT Academy I'm fairly sure, all others are not and should be fine. :)

Nope. That's why I wrote the article on the GTP blog explaining it.

"This mini quiz is a chance to win the opportunity to witness the drama and spectacle of GT Academy Race Camp in Abu Dhabi in person. Answer 20 questions about Nissan cars and GT Academy as quick as you can, aim for a high score and enjoy sun, sea, palm trees and exciting challenges with NISMO Athlete candidates!"

Sounds great. :)

only..

down.jpg

👎👎

"This mini quiz is a chance to win the opportunity to witness the drama and spectacle of GT Academy Race Camp in Abu Dhabi in person. Answer 20 questions about Nissan cars and GT Academy as quick as you can, aim for a high score and enjoy sun, sea, palm trees and exciting challenges with NISMO Athlete candidates!"

Sounds great. :)

only..

View attachment 360267

👎👎
Lol :banghead:

Abhiney Bikkani and Thanaroj Thanasitnitiket who were also competing are involved with NISMO still.

This is what I can't believe and what hurts me the most! Everyone from the International Final last year all with a drive and supported by Nissan/NISMO except me.

I know that might sound like a bit of a poor me, but as if not winning last year didn't hurt enough, then to find this out.

This is what I can't believe and what hurts me the most! Everyone from the International Final last year all with a drive and supported by Nissan/NISMO except me.

I know that might sound like a bit of a poor me, but as if not winning last year didn't hurt enough, then to find this out.
hmm idk y Nissan put these guys into micra cup...strange..........let's c how things pan out this year

You were also by far the most impressive driver out of the whole international gt academy.. Feel for you mate

No you're right.

I suspect that, like Ahmed who was picked up by a national branch of Nissan, Thanaroj and Abhinay are being funded by Nissan Thailand and Nissan India. I'd also suspect that Nissan Australia is probably significantly poorer funded than either (population 29m in Australia, 67m in Thailand, 1.2bn in India), so they don't have the money to back you - despite the brand's popularity there. I'd also suspect that the popularity of the brand means they don't need you either, when there's a whole bunch of famous Australian Nissan drivers they can wheel out.

It blows.

No you're right.

I suspect that, like Ahmed who was picked up by a national branch of Nissan, Thanaroj and Abhinay are being funded by Nissan Thailand and Nissan India. I'd also suspect that Nissan Australia is probably significantly poorer funded than either (population 29m in Australia, 67m in Thailand, 1.2bn in India), so they don't have the money to back you - despite the brand's popularity there. I'd also suspect that the popularity of the brand means they don't need you either, when there's a whole bunch of famous Australian Nissan drivers they can wheel out.

It blows.

Yeah understood and that does make sense, but not against the reason I was told by Nissan Aus that they can't support me to go racing. I won't disclose it here but it contradicts entirely what is happening with the other countries (specifically India and Thailand).

Oh well, I'll keep pushing like I have been. Although if I keep leasing drives without sponsorship it's going to send me broke!

Yeah understood and that does make sense, but not against the reason I was told by Nissan Aus that they can't support me to go racing. I won't disclose it here but it contradicts entirely what is happening with the other countries (specifically India and Thailand).

Oh well, I'll keep pushing like I have been. Although if I keep leasing drives without sponsorship it's going to send me broke!

Gotta get your marketing hat on mate :) Find the right person and you'll be in like flynn!

Back