Bigger computer monitor or tv as a monitor?

• Thread starter Jezza819
  • 13 comments
United States
Alabamistan
I've got a little bonus from work and I've been kicking around upgrading my computer monitor from the current 27" one. Since I'm in my late 50's now even some things on the 27" are a little hard to see. I would like something maybe in the 36 inch range or maybe even 40 inches. It just depends if I can fit it on my computer desk.

When I got my PC repaired a few months ago I asked the guy at the shop which is best monitor, or tv, and he said I tv was just fine to use as a computer monitor. But I'm not so sure. I don't do any gaming. I just browse the web, watch Youtube videos and other videos. I don't think video quality would be an issue but I would be more concerned with the quality of pictures from the internet. I don't know if a tv can replicate detail of pictures like a dedicated computer monitor could.

I don't want anything curved.

Last edited:
I've got a little bonus from work and I've been kicking around upgrading my computer monitor from the current 27" one. Since I'm in my late 50's now even some things on the 27" are a little hard to see. I would like something maybe in the 36 inch range or maybe even 40 inches. It just depends if I can fit it on my computer desk.

When I got my PC repaired a few months ago I asked the guy at the shop which is best monitor, or tv, and he said I tv was just fine to use as a computer monitor. But I'm not so sure. I don't do any gaming. I just browse the web, watch Youtube videos and other videos. I don't think video quality would be an issue but I would be more concerned with the quality of pictures from the internet. I don't know if a tv can replicate detail of pictures like a dedicated computer monitor could.

I don't want anything curved.
Early 50s, worsening eyes, now in tri-focals, can't see blacks for ****, can't see my steering wheel or peripherals while driving. I started with a 45" flat screen. I now use a 32" ASUS gaming monitor. I honestly don't think the monitor makes as much of a difference as does optimizing my focal range. That is to say, positioning the monitor at the optimal position, and then optimizing the in-game setting for your preference. There are more than a few on-line tutorials for how to do this, even between gaming platforms.

Early 50s, worsening eyes, now in tri-focals, can't see blacks for ****, can't see my steering wheel or peripherals while driving. I started with a 45" flat screen. I now use a 32" ASUS gaming monitor. I honestly don't think the monitor makes as much of a difference as does optimizing my focal range. That is to say, positioning the monitor at the optimal position, and then optimizing the in-game setting for your preference. There are more than a few on-line tutorials for how to do this, even between gaming platforms.
This is not for gaming. I have a 55" Samsung tv for that. This is strictly for internet browsing and Youtube and other videos.

I can't offer an insight as to which I think would be better, but I would say stick to 36" max, depending on how close you're sitting at the least. I'm at a 34" currently looking to upgrade, but there are times I feel my screen size is more than enough without my eyes darting around.

Last edited:
I can't offer an insight as to which I think would be better, but I would say stick to 36" max, depending on how close you're sitting at the least. I'm at a 34" currently looking to upgrade, but there are times I feel my screen size is more than enough without my eyes darting around.
If I may ask, what brand or model is your 34"? I'm roughly about 2ft away from the monitor. But you're right, 36" is probably the biggest size my smallish computer desk could accommodate.

If I may ask, what brand or model is your 34"? I'm roughly about 2ft away from the monitor. But you're right, 36" is probably the biggest size my smallish computer desk could accommodate.
It's an LG 32UD99-W. It's a great monitor for 1-2 years, then it has a notorious issue with the corners burning in which mine has. I bought it as they were coming out & didn't see any reviews mentioning it, but I would advise you to not consider it.

Edit* Realizing my brain fart, it's a 32", not a 34". That's how lost I get in it sometimes. :lol:

Last edited:
Don't monitors have higher pixel density and higher refresh rate because they are designed to be seen much closer? I would worry about having a TV that close to my face, but I could be misinformed.

Don't monitors have higher pixel density and higher refresh rate because they are designed to be seen much closer? I would worry about having a TV that close to my face, but I could be misinformed.
Isn't pixel density determined by screen size and resolution? So in theory a 32 inch TV or monitor would have the same density if they are running the same resolution.

See that's what I thought too. That's why when the computer guy said a tv would be just fine I was surprised.

Best Buy has this one but it might be too big for my space. Looks nice though.

Last edited:
Isn't pixel density determined by screen size and resolution? So in theory a 32 inch TV or monitor would have the same density if they are running the same resolution.
Well my thought was TV manufacturers probably don't bother to make TVs that small with high resolutions because it would be a largely wasted effort. Looks like there's some credence to the refresh rate part...A 60hz display I imagine right next to your face would be pretty uncomfortable. You might not actively notice the strobing per say, but I'm guessing it would cause some strain. 120hz is probably sufficient though. If you can find a small 4k tv with 120+hz refresh rate...it probably won't be all that cheap.

Well my thought was TV manufacturers probably don't bother to make TVs that small with high resolutions because it would be a largely wasted effort. Looks like there's some credence to the refresh rate part...A 60hz display I imagine right next to your face would be pretty uncomfortable. You might not actively notice the strobing per say, but I'm guessing it would cause some strain. 120hz is probably sufficient though. If you can find a small 4k tv with 120+hz refresh rate...it probably won't be all that cheap.
I doubt my work has any 120hz monitors. The laptop probably doesn't do above 60 either.

I doubt my work has any 120hz monitors. The laptop probably doesn't do above 60 either.
Ah you're right. My PC has 60hz display. So...
Season 5 Idk GIF by Friends

Back