Bitcoin, Altcoin and Cryptocurrency Thread

I reckon they are almost certainly right. But - there are approximately 1400 cryptocurrencies at the moment, and even if 99% of them end up being worth nothing (which is a possibility), there will still be a good number of them around. My guess is that cryptocurrencies that actually end up being used for real-world applications will likely survive - and probably do pretty well. IMO (and I'm certainly no expert), anyone thinking about investing in CCs should either take a very long term view, keep a close eye on developments in the CC world (esp. who is backing what CC, and why) and don't invest anything that you can't afford to lose.

I reckon they are almost certainly right. But - there are approximately 1400 cryptocurrencies at the moment, and even if 99% of them end up being worth nothing (which is a possibility), there will still be a good number of them around. My guess is that cryptocurrencies that actually end up being used for real-world applications will likely survive - and probably do pretty well. IMO (and I'm certainly no expert), anyone thinking about investing in CCs should either take a very long term view, keep a close eye on developments in the CC world (esp. who is backing what CC, and why) and don't invest anything that you can't afford to lose.

Questions:
Do cryptocurrencies rely in any way upon electricity? In other words, if the power grid should go down for a period of months or years, would cryptocurrency be a steady, stable, reliable daily method of exchange, payment and storage of wealth? Similarly, would the loss of most or all Earth-orbiting satellites affect in any way the viability of cryptocurrencies?

Questions:
Do cryptocurrencies rely in any way upon electricity? In other words, if the power grid should go down for a period of months or years, would cryptocurrency be a steady, stable, reliable daily method of exchange, payment and storage of wealth? Similarly, would the loss of most or all Earth-orbiting satellites affect in any way the viability of cryptocurrencies?
Possibly if you have a generator or something but if that was the case I'm pretty sure fiat will have no solution it would create mass anarchy.

Possibly if you have a generator or something but if that was the case I'm pretty sure fiat will have no solution it would create mass anarchy.
Mass anarchy cannot be permitted. We know for a fact that there are both natural and man-made events which will take down power grids and satellites. We have been warned to prepare for a magnetic pole shift, solar flares and nuclear war. What to do? Ignore the warnings? Or not?

Questions:
Do cryptocurrencies rely in any way upon electricity? In other words, if the power grid should go down for a period of months or years, would cryptocurrency be a steady, stable, reliable daily method of exchange, payment and storage of wealth?

Yes the blockchain relies on electricity, however so do all modern banking systems. If a country suddenly went dark for months or years, money isn't going to be useful.

Similarly, would the loss of most or all Earth-orbiting satellites affect in any way the viability of cryptocurrencies?

No. Where do you think satellites come in to this?

Yes the blockchain relies on electricity, however so do all modern banking systems. If a country suddenly went dark for months or years, money isn't going to be useful.

Banks have the fallback option of paper-and-ink based accounting, and reliance on hard currency such as coins and bills. 19th century technology.

No. Where do you think satellites come in to this?

Many of our communications rely on satellites. I'm asking the question if cryptocurrencies would be affected by reliance on land lines or snail mail.

Banks have the fallback option of paper-and-ink based accounting, and reliance on hard currency such as coins and bills. 19th century technology.

That would be fine if we lived in the 19th century, however we don't. Paper-and-ink is too slow to keep up with demand for modern banking services. Banks also aren't required to hold much, if any, hard currency reserves.

Many of our communications rely on satellites. I'm asking the question if cryptocurrencies would be affected by reliance on land lines or snail mail.

Very little of our communication absolutely relies on satellites. The majority of traffic uses undersea cables. Sure we use satellites for timekeeping, which is vital for communication, but we have land-based alternatives that could do that job.

I work in a financial institution. I have visibility of the business continuity plans. And what you written is 100% wrong.

I work in a financial institution. I have visibility of the business continuity plans. And what you written is 100% wrong.
Really?

There are pieces of paper and pens in banks. Heck, I've seen them. I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember going to a bank teller and getting cash from a window back in the day before computers. I may be 100% wrong in the corner of your raging mind, but I doubt it's 100% impossible for a bank to revert, however fitfully and painfully, to paper and cash in the event of a national emergency brings down the power grid for a time.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember going to a bank teller and getting cash from a window back in the day before computers.
I don't know how old you are, but it might be time to stop thinking like it's the 1960's.

If you think a bank can work by having everyone line up at their local friendly teller and have individual withdrawal/ deposit slips written and cash exchanged…….At this point I am not sure if you are trolling or legitimately uniformed. Maybe the banks where you live are from the stone age.

Here is a story for you. Assume DotiniBank.

T+1 after electricity ends. Outside DotiniBank, 500 people line up to transact. Dotini (stand in bank teller) records all these individual transactions in a big ledger which all 50,000 DotiniBank client positions in it. As people don’t have proper ID all the time and the ledger is large, only 100 people get to transact on day 1 – people are upset.

Dotini then spends the night updating his ledger properly – he needs to make sure he has enough funding now as the last 10 people all wanted to withdraw their money because they were angry at the slow service. Dotini finds out he is doesn’t have enough funding available if the next 50 people in line in the morning all want to withdraw all their money. He writes a letter to the Fed asking for a new funding line.

The next day Dotini opens his window and the line is now 5,000 people long as rumour has spread DotiniBank isn’t given access to people’s money (because it is so slow to transact). The first person in the queue is a whale and his withdrawal will fully exhaust all Dotini’s available funding. Dotini is worried, so he checks the mailbox – but the Fed hasn’t written back. Damn.

DotiniBank has now run out of money and Dotini has no other option than to put up a “back in 5 mins” sign so he can drive to his local Fed agency office and talk to them. When he gets there they tell him they haven’t received his letter, and anyway, he needs to fill in a bunch of forms to declare DotiniBank’s fully funded asset position, so they can work out if they can offer a repurchase agreement to provide some short term funding. Dotini now drives back to DotiniBank, closes early for the day to do this paperwork – but finds the queue is rioting because their want their money.

2 days later, Dotini has drawn up his fully funded balance sheet for the Fed – it was a tough job reconciling every loan and deposit manually. As he is about to drive back to the Fed office, he is stopped by a lawyer from JPMuggin Bank. JP Muggin had a big funding line provided to DotiniBank, and now they want it back as they have seen the riots in the local newspaper. This is a problem as Dotini will need to redo his entire funding position for the Fed. The rioters are now breaking windows of DotiniBank and news crews are around.

Dotini is confident this can be resolved with his pen and paper though, and drives back to the Fed anyway to ask for help. He gets in line, as there are reps from 8 other local banks all waiting to speak to the Fed.

I don't know how old you are, but it might be time to stop thinking like it's the 1960's.

If you think a bank can work by having everyone line up at their local friendly teller and have individual withdrawal/ deposit slips written and cash exchanged…….At this point I am not sure if you are trolling or legitimately uniformed. Maybe the banks where you live are from the stone age.

Here is a story for you. Assume DotiniBank.

T+1 after electricity ends. Outside DotiniBank, 500 people line up to transact. Dotini (stand in bank teller) records all these individual transactions in a big ledger which all 50,000 DotiniBank client positions in it. As people don’t have proper ID all the time and the ledger is large, only 100 people get to transact on day 1 – people are upset.

Dotini then spends the night updating his ledger properly – he needs to make sure he has enough funding now as the last 10 people all wanted to withdraw their money because they were angry at the slow service. Dotini finds out he is doesn’t have enough funding available if the next 50 people in line in the morning all want to withdraw all their money. He writes a letter to the Fed asking for a new funding line.

The next day Dotini opens his window and the line is now 5,000 people long as rumour has spread DotiniBank isn’t given access to people’s money (because it is so slow to transact). The first person in the queue is a whale and his withdrawal will fully exhaust all Dotini’s available funding. Dotini is worried, so he checks the mailbox – but the Fed hasn’t written back. Damn.

DotiniBank has now run out of money and Dotini has no other option than to put up a “back in 5 mins” sign so he can drive to his local Fed agency office and talk to them. When he gets there they tell him they haven’t received his letter, and anyway, he needs to fill in a bunch of forms to declare DotiniBank’s fully funded asset position, so they can work out if they can offer a repurchase agreement to provide some short term funding. Dotini now drives back to DotiniBank, closes early for the day to do this paperwork – but finds the queue is rioting because their want their money.

2 days later, Dotini has drawn up his fully funded balance sheet for the Fed – it was a tough job reconciling every loan and deposit manually. As he is about to drive back to the Fed office, he is stopped by a lawyer from JPMuggin Bank. JP Muggin had a big funding line provided to DotiniBank, and now they want it back as they have seen the riots in the local newspaper. This is a problem as Dotini will need to redo his entire funding position for the Fed. The rioters are now breaking windows of DotiniBank and news crews are around.

Dotini is confident this can be resolved with his pen and paper though, and drives back to the Fed anyway to ask for help. He gets in line, as there are reps from 8 other local banks all waiting to speak to the Fed.
Thanks for the guided tour of banking after a national emergency. Not a pretty picture.
But some day the emergency will come, and life - and banking - must go on. Somehow.

Mike Rotch, you may well be correct, but just to let you know, it's also possible to be correct without being patronising as **** about it 👍.

I work in Digital for a bank in the UK and while I have no idea of backup plans in the event of a mass loss of power, I'd be very surprised if the bank was still able to function to even a basic standard for any substantial amount of time.

We haven't used hard currency in the US for over fifty years (1965 to be exact). Coins used to be made of precious metals and paper currency was backed by a promise to exchange the note for the equivalent in specie. So banks no longer have that to rely on.

Funny. I have to do that at my local Credit Union and S&L, if I choose not to Direct Deposit.

I dunno, the Bank of England handled many a crisis without any digital or computer accounting. Could be the next modern marvel.

Bank says disruptive asset class will drop to zero.

Thanks.

What next, foxnews saying bad things about Trumps rivals?

Remember the last time an asset class was going to drop to zero? What'd the banks do then? Leverage themselves even more? Go into complete denial? Recess the global economy?

Last edited:
Fiat will still be in trouble when half the money supply or more doesn't exist in cash form, with no electricity what happens to that money?

Fiat will still be in trouble when half the money supply or more doesn't exist in cash form, with no electricity what happens to that money?
There will still be electricity available for emergency use in a national emergency, even after an EMP or CME that fries power lines and transformers. So power will come back on locally way before nationally. Banks will be prioritized. The data will be in storage and the money still exist, just not accessible until power is restored. There may be anarchic conditions break out in places. A lot will depend upon the luck and resourcefulness of your local community.

I cashed out with slightly more than 100% profit some time ago. Still got a fairly small position left that I don't really mind what happens with it since it's pure profit anyway.

Browsing back in this thread, a lot of the posts haven't aged very well (including some of my own). :lol:

Personally I don't think it will ever become this crazy again. A lot of private traders (esp. mainstream) lost a lot of very real money because they bought at the peak. People who lost a large part of their savings are not likely to invest back in (unless they have a gambling addiction). Professional institutions will mostly steer clear until regulations are in place. Most ICOs are a scam. So what we saw end of December/beginning of January was really the peak in the hype curve. What's up next (as regulations will be put in place for exchanges and 99% of ICOs turn out to be scams aka lost money) is a very large dip. After that it'll (hopefully) pull back up a bit as the technology starts to normalize. It will be interesting to see what parts will survive and which won't.

Personally I don't think it will ever become this crazy again.
I think it might, but I also think the current levels will be in place for some time.

The market has a very short memory and the mood at the moment is negative. Something will trigger a revival and then it will go through a boom cycle again - maybe not as high or sustained - but these things always move in cycles. And crypto has shown that unlike stocks, it's a lot more extreme (for better or worse).

I still have 16000 Dogecoins. Bought with not used poker profits. They're worth about half of what I bought them for but hey, I was in it for the long run anyway.

Not gonna post it here because of foul language, but youtube search "bitcoin explained" and take the first hit (posted by Cameralla) for a funny parody.

Not gonna post it here because of foul language, but youtube search "bitcoin explained" and take the first hit (posted by Cameralla) for a funny parody.
The comments on that video of people thinking they get it but actually don't are pure gold. :D :lol:

Just a question because I don't know the answer to it....

Does the viability of cryptocurrency as a genuine long term currency depend on governments (basically all of them, but particularly the big players) ceding their ability to control the production & supply of money? Also, does cryptocurrency viability depend on lack of regulation from said governments?

For instance: in 2030 is bitcoin (or whatever) supposed to be living along side the US dollar or is it supposed to replace the US dollar while remaining unregulated? The former seems at odds with fundamental principal of crypto, and the latter I don't see as being particularly realistic, owing to how important monetary policy is to a governments economic strategy.

Last edited:
Back