Bitcoin, Altcoin and Cryptocurrency Thread

Not sure if it is appropriate on this forum. But since it’s current news migh as well start a discussion thread!

Have you invested in some kind of coin? Verge is going through the roof at the moment :crazy: Almost 10 cents up in 24 hours (from 0,06 to 0,15).

Last edited:
Have you invested in some kind of coin? Verge is going through the roof at the moment :crazy: Almost 10 cents up in 24 hours (from 0,06 to 0,15).
I was already late to that party. But have some neo,xrp, mth,eos and trx hoping to explode! All in small amounts though... didn’t have the guts in march to invest heavily... btc was at 2k at the time:banghead: I invested in renovation of my restaurant. If I used that money for btc at the time. I would have been a multimillionaire now..

But that is all in hindsight of course! I do believe 2018 btc is going to hit 40k

It's never too late @PocketZeven ! I mean, when BTC hit 10k nobody in my surroundings thought it would be a good idea to keep investing but the ones who did are laughing now. BCH is interesting too, it's +1000 dollars in the plus since 24 hours ago.

XRP is nice, I want to go big on that one since speculation is that it will explode. This gives hope: https://www.profitconfidential.com/...cast-japan-korea-commit-pilot-ripple-program/

If Verge goes down to around 7 cents I will hop on the bandwagon :D

I hear so much about Bitcoin, especially lately. I kind of understand what it is and how it works. I am just unsure if I should join in on the "fun" or not...

I wanted to join in on the Bitcoin Cash this afternoon but Coinbase halted trading on it because of possible insider trading. I've got 2 Ethereum and Litecoins drumming about and I was gonna swap Litecoins for Bitcoin Cash(BCH). Maybe later this week I guess. Its fun to dabble in them with not a ton of money on the line. I'm hoping BCH continues to climb in value once they open the flood gates.

Jerome

It looks like NiceHash will actually be paying back people's balances soon -

I think I had around 0.005 BTC of balance sitting in their wallet (you needed to reach 0.01 BTC if you were mining to an external wallet, which became increasingly difficult to achieve so I just gave up), I don't know if I'll go back to using NiceHash or using something else.

I hear so much about Bitcoin, especially lately. I kind of understand what it is and how it works. I am just unsure if I should join in on the "fun" or not...
Fun should mean 'money you can afford to lose'.

The MSM is touting BTC hard and ignoring the laundry list of significant issues that face it's prospects. Bitcoin Cash was no coincidence, and neither has it's rise of late been. There is money to be made, but caveat emptor - it is unregulated and therefore a manipulated market. That cuts both ways though :)

It's never too late @PocketZeven ! I mean, when BTC hit 10k nobody in my surroundings thought it would be a good idea to keep investing but the ones who did are laughing now. BCH is interesting too, it's +1000 dollars in the plus since 24 hours ago.

XRP is nice, I want to go big on that one since speculation is that it will explode. This gives hope: https://www.profitconfidential.com/...cast-japan-korea-commit-pilot-ripple-program/

If Verge goes down to around 7 cents I will hop on the bandwagon :D

Let me know when it's time to invest, I have I think something like €100,- on a Pokerstars account I haven't touched in years.

Everything down 30% today, so as good a time as any.
Except XRP! But all the coins will recover soon by the end of the year.

See it as a long term investment. If you don’t expect short term gains you won’t be disappointed. Also only invest what you can afford to lose. So perhaps max 5% of your net worth. Always try to diversify your assets. The cryptomarket is still in it’s infancy with a total market cap of almost 600 billion usd. Compare that to all the money in the world approx.: 85 trillion usd or Apple’s valuation of 900 billion usd.

Also only invest what you can afford to lose.
Pretty much everything PocketZeven said, but mostly this.

It could all turn to custard tomorrow or not - 'early adoption' as come and gone, but its still early days for mass adoption.

Bought some XVG, ADA and TRX today
I heard good things about the first two, I don't know much about the latter :). I took the opportunity to load up on more BCH, to my existing stack from November :D

👍 Verge and Ripple for me. :) I have high expectations for these two in the future.

Sold my Verge already :lol: Bought them at 0.09 and sold at 0.17. I expect this is the roof for now.. Hoping it'll go down again so I can repeat this :D Looking into Stellar, they partnered with IBM.. I find this one just as interesting as Ripple, not sure what to do. Ripple is not far from its all time high so doesn't feel good to step in now :nervous:

Edit: apparently I couldn't have been more wrong about Verge :lol:

Last edited:
Sold my Verge already :lol: Bought them at 0.09 and sold at 0.17. I expect this is the roof for now.. Hoping it'll go down again so I can repeat this :D Looking into Stellar, they partnered with IBM.. I find this one just as interesting as Ripple, not sure what to do. Ripple is not far from its all time high so doesn't feel good to step in now :nervous:

Edit: apparently I couldn't have been more wrong about Verge :lol:

In my opinion xrp is the one with the best real world usecase at the moment. Ripple is working hard to overtake swift. The best explanation I have found so far:

“XRP doesn't "burn up", other than in one specific situation and then only in very tiny amounts. That's the transaction fee. If you send 1 billion XRP to somebody, it might cost you 0.012 of 1 XRP to do so. That's the equivalent of paying a transaction cost of $0.012 (1.2 cents) to send $1 billion dollars - Ripple is really cheap for sending money! Those "0.012"'s are what get "burned" when making transactions on the Ripple network. The amount is really tiny, it's effect on the network is negligible, as is its cost - you can safely forget about it in many cases.

As to the other part of your question. When using XRP as a bridge currency, it works something like this:

Say Alice has a bank account with Lloyds UK that has £1,000,000 pounds in it. And Alice wants to send those million pounds to her partner Bob, who lives in the US. He has an account with Wells Fargo . Let's say the current exchange rate of GBP/USD is 1.3. Meaning £1.00 GBP will buy you $1.30 USD.

But, let's say there's a problem: Lloyds Bank UK doesn't have an account, or any kind of banking relationship with Wells Fargo. So they can't facilitate the transfer directly. This is a common situation in world banking - not everyone has an account with everyone else, or everyone would need to have millions of accounts with each other. But, let's imagine both Wells Fargo and Lloyds bank are Ripple-enabled - woohoo! They're both connected to the Ripple network somehow, and own a bunch of XRP. So here's what could happen:

Lloyds and Wells Fargo agree that the exchange rate for GBP to USD is 1.3. Also, XRP/GBP and XRP/USD markets exist already (say on Bitstamp), that can be referenced for price. Let's say the XRP/GBP rate is 1.3333. That is, 1 XRP buys you £1.34 of a GBP. And the XRP/USD rate is 1.73333. So, 1 XRP buys you $1.734 of a USD. (So we're imagining a future XRP price that's higher than the moment, because we're imagining a future where UK and US banks are using XRP to send millions worth of customers fiat currency around.)

So, Lloyds bank takes the GBP from Alice's account, and puts in into their own holding account. Alice now has 0 GBP, and Alice's bank Lloyds now has £1 million GBP. Then Lloyds sends 750,000 XRP to Wells Fargo and says, "can you put $1.3 million USD into Bob's account?". Wells Fargo, recognising the current value of the XRP they've just received, do just that. And Bob has his money.

BEFORE:
Alice: £1 million GBP
Bob: $0 USD
Alice's Bank (Lloyds UK): £0 GBP & 750,000 XRP
Bob's Bank (Wells Fargo US): 0 XRP & $1.3 million USD

Lloyds UK XRP --> Wells Fargo US XRP
(took 3.5 seconds, cost $0.012 cents)

AFTER:
Alice: 0 GBP
Bob: $1.3 million USD
Alice's Bank (Lloyds UK): £1 million GBP & 0 XRP
Bob's Bank (Wells Fargo US): 750,000 XRP & $0 USD
So Alice has sent £1 million pounds to Bob, which arrived as USD - what he needs in the US. It took 3.5 seconds, cost just over 1 US cent, and both of them are happy.

Now, if the banks want to end up back where they started, Lloyds could take the £1 million pounds and use it to buy 750,000 XRP, say on an exchange like Bitstamp. And Wells Fargo could take the 750,000 XRP they now have and sell it for $1.3 million USD on an exchange as well. Everyone's back where they started, but XRP was used to "bridge" the payment.

To have this all happen so quickly and easily, Lloyds had to own 750,000 XRP in the first place. Also, if Wells Fargo wanted to be able to send $1.3 million USD to the UK in the same way, they'd need to own 750,000 XRP themselves. So, we see this is why banks need to buy XRP, and why it is valuable to them as a bridge currency, and as a way to save costs and time, while making payments.”

Also watch trx:

99F837D4-4C3E-436A-AC3E-FFEC6FB4C315.jpeg

Last edited:
In my opinion xrp is the one with the best real world usecase at the moment.
I think it's a bit of an illusion, but that is my humble opinion.

For the 750k that Lloyds sends WF to be worth 750k when WF gets it, that means the currency has to be stable. But one assumes:
1) As soon as banks "start" adopting Ripple, it's price will get volatile as supply starts getting bought up and
2) For this volatility to be controlled and stabilised, Ripple could just issue more, yes? Well, why would we make Ripple a central bank with such control over supply of a commodity.

So I think Ripple will live long thanks to good marketing, but I don't see any collection of meaningful banks using XRP. But that is just me - and as the market knows, 'announcements of announcements' (as in the case of TRX) are reason enough for massive price increases in the short term ;)

XRP is like the coin the newbies love because it makes the most sense and banks love it, privacy coins are the future though, Crypto is going to get chopped to pieces by central bankers and governments in the future, having untraceable transactions is how you stay ahead.

Deep onion is my pick, it's as secure as Verge but hasn't been pumped by a Mcaffe tweet yet.

other coins like electroneum which uses the Monero blockchain another privacy coin has epic potential too, it's only on a small exchange yet maintains a top 50 position, there is a 10x gain easily once it's on bittrex which will happen within a month.

Deep onion is my pick, it's as secure as Verge but hasn't been pumped by a Mcaffe tweet yet.
Verge IMO is a completely oversold POS. Its dogecoin with some half arsed privacy protocols. Monero is the only true privacy coin IMO, for people who want that.

Thing is, even if govt etc clamp down and privacy coins are the future, govt will also clamp down on the on/off ramps - so converting XMR to fiat will be impossible.

Verge IMO is a completely oversold POS. Its dogecoin with some half arsed privacy protocols. Monero is the only true privacy coin IMO, for people who want that.

Thing is, even if govt etc clamp down and privacy coins are the future, govt will also clamp down on the on/off ramps - so converting XMR to fiat will be impossible.
Its not too different tbh, the differences are Verge will have the option to opt between public and private transactions(once it's implemented) Verge has been focusing on hiding the IP address where as Monero and Zcash for that matter have focused on hiding the transaction ids, however Verge eventually will have both and Monero likely will too.

Verge is pumped hard right now because of McAffe, but it will still grow in the future if your into long term holding, the roadmap still isn't complete so there is more value to come, Monero is still the number 1 privacy coin though and any coins that use it's blockchain(like electroneum) have massive rise potential as they add more to the future of Crypto.

The governments can crack down as much as they want(but lets be honest here many actually support crypto like Australia and South Korea for example). but once people have established lines of exchange soo long as there is perceived value no one will need to trade their Crypto for fiat to use as currency, however having the privacy coins do allow you to stay under the radar to a hostile government action on it.

I would say right now this would be important if you live in China or the US elsewhere is still awhile away from any crackdown atm.

Last edited:
I let the missus pick a coin.

I'll let you guys guess which one she picked.

Something for you and something for the misses? In all seriousness though, it might pay off to choose something for the long run that isn't that popular now but has good people behind it and with a game plan. Make new mail accounts, use 2FA, write it down and put it behind a painting on the wall or something. I've read too many horror stories of people who invested in Bitcoin years ago and forgot their login :scared:

Something for you and something for the misses? In all seriousness though, it might pay off to choose something for the long run that isn't that popular now but has good people behind it and with a game plan. Make new mail accounts, use 2FA, write it down and put it behind a painting on the wall or something. I've read too many horror stories of people who invested in Bitcoin years ago and forgot their login :scared:

Dogecoin! Almost 16000 of them. And they're already almost 40% up. :lol:

Guys, read this:
"If you are invested in Verge get out now"
Believe me or not I don't care but be warned.

Sunerok (only developer on Verge) hasn't communicated with his Verge team in 2 months and the entire marketing team (which was basically the entire rest of the team) quit the project. The guy I know who was the lead marketing guy has now even admitted they never intended on releasing Wraith.

This will go down as the largest pump and dump in crypto history.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Edit: PROOF

Look at comment from Kieran Daniels. He was VP of marketing for Verge.

More proof: https://medium.com/verge-currency-x...on-and-an-important-announcement-3965730bd0b8

Screenshot of conversation
2LlNNkx.png

Looking at what it's worth now I should dump what I have.. Little bit too late but better now than never I guess.

edit;
It is weird though, this being kinda hot on Reddit I still see a bounce back and buys for a lot of BTC..
40b27adf85cdeb240df12f0761bf52e7.png

Back