Blackbird's Car

• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 72 comments
Sounds quite nice, but I'd still go with the Corsa/Kooks combo.

I'm assuming Quiet mode is supposed to be like OEM, but Loud mode doesn't sound all that different to my ears personally.

According to them "Quiet" mode is just like their touring cat back. While loud is... not sure. I guess you could say it's like their Track edition but their track edition doesn't have rear mufflers. And on the SwitchPath all it does it close off and open the h-pipe crossover.

Not much of an update but I changed the oil at ~6k miles. More of a "peace-of-mind" change since I bought it with about 2900 miles and have no idea of it's service history and i've been pretty harsh on the car since then.

The next mods on deck are definetly at the least a cat-back. Headers may come later for the sheer cost (~$1k +/- $200 for a good pair of LTHs) and then nearly $900 install cost. The cat-back i'm looking at is around $1,300 and I can easily install it myself on ramps. Then I have a few cosmetic mods i'd like to do: GT badge delete on decklid panel, RTR diffuser, light brake light tint (not blacked out).

Second batch of mods will likely deal with suspension work dealing with IRS wheel hop, braces, etc.

20170423_193354.jpg
20170423_201158.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a long time since i've updated. GTPlanet looks different too!

Not too much has changed unfortunately. I got impatient and installed the AWE Touring Cat-back myself not long after I received a package I purchased. It came with said cat-back, Pypes catless longtubes, PMAS CAI, and a Lund Tune. I'm still waiting on confirmation from my brother-in-law when we can borrow his uncle's lift so installing the LTs is easier. Here's a cold start video:

I should have known since this is a 5.0 V8 vs my S4's 3.0 V6 but I was expecting the sound level to be similar but this setup with just the cat-back is pretty loud. I love the h-pipe style it fits the Mustang better in my opinion. I can't imagine how loud it will be with LTs, if I knew how loud the Cat-back alone would be I might have foregone the LTs. But i'm thinking of going forced induction *ahem*twin turbo*ahem* down the line so the LTs would help in that respect.

So I added a car to the stable. I want to keep the Mustang in great condition for a long period of time and I want to do stuff to it that may not make it so pleasant daily. Keep it in the garage so all the work I put forth detailing it isn't wasted in one fell swoop of tree and bird crap. Plus I have a dog and i've cringed every time I've transported him in the Mustang as much as I love him. :lol:

To make it a little fun for me, and maybe you, I'd like you guys to guess what it is. I'll try not to make it too obvious.

Hints:
  • The brand and the model have won JD Power awards (past two years)
  • Turbocharged
  • DCT 7 speed
  • Think outside the box

Kia Soul Turbo

2017-kia-soul-turbo-27.jpg

Pretty sure Hyundai/Kia are the only ones with 7-speed DCT? So that narrowed it down for me. :P

Spot on! :lol: I knew I made it too obvious. You got the color right too!

20170906_101638.jpg

I was surprised a car in this class would have a DCT so I thought it would throw some people off. But I suppose I should have known it would have the opposite effect. The characteristics of the transmission are almost identical to the S4 (minus the power obviously).

I was surprised a car in this class would have a DCT so I thought it would throw some people off. But I suppose I should have known it would have the opposite effect.
Having an Elantra Sport, I keep updated on what other cars use the same powertrain. ;)

Having an Elantra Sport, I keep updated on what other cars use the same powertrain. ;)

I'll be honest I haven't done much research on Hyundai or Kia before this purchase. Just now I looked at the Elantra Sport and now I see they have identical powertrains. :ouch: Wasn't much of a guessing game for you!

The Soul is a fair bit heavier than the Elantra. I'm surprised at how quick the Soul is so I imagine the Elantra is even quicker.

The Soul is a fair bit heavier than the Elantra. I'm surprised at how quick the Soul is so I imagine the Elantra is even quicker.
It's quick for what it is. There's a guy in Alaska that has done a few intake/exhaust mods and with a little weight removal (spare/seats) ran a 14.02 @ 97mph with the DCT. I bought a 6MT.

Back