Blitz187's Photography: Update! Airshow@Volkel, Holland 15/06/2013

• Thread starter Blitz187
  • 160 comments
I think a bit of cropping off the bottom and a nicely contrasted B&W could make it look ace. This is all in my head of course....could be rubbish. :P

Lol if you like I can have a crack at it. :P

^ You might be on to something there... I'd love to see what you would do with that shot. I'll send you the RAW when I get home later, then you can mess around with it all you want when you have some time. :)

^ Hey my hometown! :) And thats the Dam Square... I believe I was out and about in the city on Saturday too... Maybe we walked by each other without even knowing it :lol:

Weather was great yesterday, looks like spring is here. :) Was wandering through the city taking some shots here and there.

70.jpg

Fiat_500.jpg

Green_Porsche.jpg

Noordermarkt.jpg

Red_Shutters.jpg

White_Boat.jpg

Last edited:
Would have been epic if that one with the shutters had one or two closed, but you work with what you have available ;).

^ I agree, but they were all open as you can see in the B&W shot with the Fiat 500. :P I just noticed that there's a kid looking out the top left window... didn't even notice that before.. :lol:

Thanks for stopping by :) Its near that area.... This is actually on the Prinsengracht near the Anne Frank house. Not to far away from the Brouwersgracht though.

Really like the last boat shoot and the graffiti one 👍 even though you didn't paint it.

The last pic: the tower seems beautiful, need to take a shot of the upper part of it

Thanks Ibo... And I didn't have my Telezoom with me... Otherwise I wouldve taken a pic of the upper part of the tower. :)

I really like your street shots, this style you have, I like it. After seeing those car panning shots it's almost unbelievable that's from the same person :lol: (j/k, but some were pretty bad..... :embarrassed: ) A good lens is everything, you can rent them for only a few €'s. I rented a 800mm lens for only €25 a day..

I've been in Amsterdam quite some times, never had my camera with me.. Maybe I'll go this weekend if the weather is nice. Amsterdam is so alive all the time, Rotterdam feels so boring.. :crazy:

(Have you ever tried getting some shots from de Wallen?)

Thanks for stopping by and commenting Carlos. Lately Ive really been getting into street photography and I'm still learning a lot, especially what looks good in a shot and what doesnt. I've only been shooting with a DSLR for 7 months now :) Still so much to learn and purchase!

The car panning shots was my very first time doing it and I agree a bunch of them are not that great... in hindsight, shutter speeds were to low and I wasn't use to fast passing cars. Add to that the location I was shooting from, which was crap.. :P I'm planning to go to DTM in August and I'm going to take a whole different approach this time and search for a good spot.

Where can you rent lenses in Holland? I'd love to do that since the telezoom I have is a kit lens and not that great as you can see in the shots :P

In post #80 the first shot is of the Oudezijds Voorburgwal near the Wallen. Its a bit artsy though. :)

Last edited:
For only having a DSLR 7 months your making nice progress!

Zandvoort is actually a good track to practice your panning shots. You can go anywhere, low fences etc. That's where I 'learned' the trick.. Only the straight sucks. I'm planning on going to the DTM too! I thought it was in May but I see it changed.

I rented my lens at kamera-express.nl. Only problem for you is that you can only pick it up in Rotterdam (their store). The only other store that I know of, and little bit closer to you is Foto Konijnenberg.nl. A lens like this is something you need at the circuit!

What is your kit lens? Mine is 18-105mm, but I'm thinking of selling it, so if you are interested...... :D

Edit:
Sorry I thought you had a Nikon/Canon. My bad! Konijnenberg doesn't have any lenses for Sony.. :( kamera-express does.. Did a little search but I can't find a store in Amsterdam that rents lenses. :indiff:

Last edited:
^ If youre out at Zandvoort as well for DTM maybe we can meet up :) You probably know some good spots already :sly:

Thanks for the info about the lenses. I will do some research myself as well to see if I can find something closer maybe... But good to know that this is possible! 👍

I have two kit lenses, but for those panning shots I used the 55-200mm kit lens. My fav lens, which is on my camera all the time, is the Carl Zeiss 16-80mm. Beautiful colors and very sharp wide open. Drawback is that for panning the reach is not long enough unless I'm standing along the edge of the track :lol:

This is a very beautiful photo.

I like the effect the vignetting gives to the photo on the top (sky), but not so much at the bottom. It's making it too dark, in my opinion.

With that sorted, I think that would make a great "postcard" shot. 👍

^ Thanks for commenting :)

I totally understand what youre saying and I agree as well. The problem for me is that outside of the basic post-processing techniques I'm still a huge noob. So when I added a bit of vignetting I saw it as a trade off... Keep the sky boring blue and the foreground light. Or add a bit of dynamic effect with vignetting while darkening the foreground a bit. I chose the latter :) I'm sure there is probably a way to split the vignetting effect, I just don't know how.

^ Hey Joylord! Been a while since Ive seen you around GTP or GT5. :P How you been?

Thanks for commenting. I honestly don't know the whole history behind this church tower. There a few of them in Amsterdam which look a like, the shot you quoted is called the Westertoren or Western Tower (loosely translated) and the shot that was quoted by Diabolical is called the Zuiderkerktoren or Southern Church Tower. As for why the three parts of the tower look different, I honestly don't know... But you've sparked my interest and I think I'll go read up on it on Wiki :D

Last edited:
I might have to subscribe to this thread to be kept updated. I’ve been around just doing a thread where we race on created tracks and good fun feel free to pop by if you get the chance. It would be an honour to see you around. Here’s a link.👍

^ Thanks for the link and invite. I honestly havent been on GT5 much lately, but I will make some time when I see some new events roll by there. 👍

^ Thanks for commenting :)

I totally understand what youre saying and I agree as well. The problem for me is that outside of the basic post-processing techniques I'm still a huge noob. So when I added a bit of vignetting I saw it as a trade off... Keep the sky boring blue and the foreground light. Or add a bit of dynamic effect with vignetting while darkening the foreground a bit. I chose the latter :) I'm sure there is probably a way to split the vignetting effect, I just don't know how.

I don't think there's a way to split the vignetting effect. Your better change in that case would be using a brush to lighten the lower part.
Having said that, when it comes to deeper post-processing, I'm also a noob and can't be bothered with doing many stuff.

Also, on my home screen now, the shot looks much better. 👍

Weather has been crappy the last few days... but took some shots anyway during the Easter weekend in Amsterdam and Breda. I really hope the sunny weather comes back soon... :D

Amrath_Hotel.jpg

Scheepvaart_Museum1.jpg

Nemo_Building.jpg

Amrath_Hotel_Wide.jpg

Pillow_Fight_Dam_Square.jpg

Old_Meets_Modern.jpg

De_Munt.jpg

Valkenberg_Breda.jpg

Breda.jpg

Grote_Kerk.jpg

Weather was a bit better over the weekend and took a couple of shots again. Hate to bore you all with architecture stuff again, but havent been out to any car events or something similar.

1. The new Eye Film Museum in Amsterdam.
The_Eye.jpg

The_Eye_Closeup.jpg

3. Submarine at the NDSM Werf
NDSM_Werf_Submarine.jpg

4. Abondoned factory on the Ij lake behind Central Station
Abandoned_Factory.jpg

I whole heartedly agree :) It really looks like something out of a Terminator movie...

Latest Posts

Back