BMW 2-Series & M2

Surprised no one posted the even worse M-Performance addons on the new M2. :crazy:
2023-bmw-m2-with-m-performance-parts.jpg

I'd go so far as to say that looks better because you know looking at it, it was designed to look nuts.

It's so ugly but as to be expected a very good car even with the unbeliveable weight. A very good small M4 probably bigger than a E46 M3.

I watched Matts review because even if I'm not the biggest fan of his personality and humor his reviews are often spot on and you just can't miss the car wow drag racing content as a petrolhead!

Last edited:
The review I was waiting for

Overall, the new M2 is good, as expected. But it's unfortunate how it looks, how heavy it is, and how large it is. They mention the E92 M3 is smaller than the new M2.

The review I was waiting for

Overall, the new M2 is good, as expected. But it's unfortunate how it looks, how heavy it is, and how large it is. They mention the E92 M3 is smaller than the new M2.

Jesus Christ I just looked up the numbers. Two hundred pounds heavier than an E92 M3 coupe and overall very similar size. But the craziest thing is that while the Tesla Model 3 is slightly bigger than the M2 - a four door EV sedan is only a few inches bigger than a two door sports coupe - even the rear drive Model 3 is 200 pounds lighter than the M2! A mid-size EV sedan with a 60kwh battery slab is lighter than BMW's smallest, most basic sports car.

Unbelievable. It's clear to me that people like Albert Biermann were the only glue holding BMW together. This company is so embarrassing that I'm not sure why any of you bother posting threads anymore.

Last edited:
Apologies if i picked wrong BMW car topic but I think it's a M2 coupe just curious what colour this is.

Photo taken passing on bus so apologies for angle/quality.

20230422_133930.jpg

Last edited:
I watched Matts review because even if I'm not the biggest fan of his personality and humor his reviews are often spot on and you just can't miss the car wow drag racing content as a petrolhead!
Following on from this, here's how the M2 stacks up against the flagship XM:

It's a shame such a competent package is housed underneath a polarising body design. Usually, I would hope the facelift brings some significant changes, but M cars have only received minimal updates when the LCI comes around.

On the flip side, the current 1-Series will receive a major design overhaul later this year, so there may be some hope for the 2-Series/M2.

Last edited:
That's an M4, not an M2, but I think it's BMW Individual Mint Green.

edit:

I could be wrong, my colour vision is *****

iris
Thanks for clarifying and finding the colour, as I said I was passing on a bus so didn't have full time to check the badges, at least I can now recreate the colour for when I want to use it as I have a livery plan involving this colour.

On the flip side, the current 1-Series will receive a major design overhaul later this year, so there may be some hope for the 2-Series/M2.

Next year's 1-er is a new car, F70, from spyshots doesn't look like it'll change much though. 2-er gets LCI in 2025

M2 CS

2025-bmw-m2-cs-spy-shots--photo-credit-baldauf_100883471_h.jpg

2025-bmw-m2-cs-spy-shots--photo-credit-baldauf_100883467_h.jpg

Key giveaways are the prototype's ducktail spoiler and front splitter. Both elements are common to BMW's other CS cars, including the last M2 CS.

It's hard to gauge but the brake rotors also appear to be bigger on this prototype compared to the regular M2, and the ride height slightly lower.

Last edited:
2-series, you say? Well, have I got news for you.

As a 35 year old who lives where it snows, I do like me a useful hatchback that doesn't struggle in winter. AWD is nice, a little clearance is nice. However, I am definitely not in the market for this ugly ass thing.

Wow...this car is giving the Aztec a serious run for its money! What is happening with the BMW design department??

That right side 3/4 angle from the A-pillar back, reminds me of the Dodge Caliber and we know how BMW love copying old Dodge cars. They should either start buying back and reselling E30-E46 models or hurry with that retro-looking EV.

Edit that: It’s like a Caliber mixed with Avenger.

Last edited:
These sketches just prove that BMW's designers are going on drug-fueled rampages with paper and pencil.

At one point is looks just like a Mazda 3 hatchback 😭

I'm a little bit familiar with the back-and-forth process on design vs engineering due to a friend working in Chrysler's wind tunnel up north. It gets pretty serious when the designers are at the point of creating scale clay models. They'll make a physical model, send it to the aero guys who scan it into CAD, run CFD, make changes, send those changes back to the designers, etc. This will happen several times and can get very annoying when you're ironing out the final details for that little bit of design flair vs little bit of efficiency.

Note that the designers were at least smart enough to want a proper hatchback on a CUV. At no point in this designer's sketch history did a fastback show up (I struggle to call it a kammback because the rear slopes all the way to the beltline). But this is a more efficient greenhouse design for the EV version, and I have to assume that BMW's aero engineers had to tell the designers that a hatchback could never meet their efficiency targets, and the designers were forced to change tactics, and the bean counters decided they couldn't afford to offer both a fastback and hatchback, so they decided to stick with a completely useless fastback CUV which is precisely what buyers of tiny CUVs don't want.

Look at how spacious this hatch is:

P90389827_highRes_0.jpg

Dang that looks like a fun, practical little CUV, innit? I bet you can stick like four carryons stood vertically in the back of that, plus another on top.

Edit: I think I realized what happened. BMW is doing the whole odd/even traditional/coupe numbering scheme. The 2023 X1 is basically the same size as the 2024 X2, except the X2 is a coupe.

Last edited:
Between the sketch and the actual thing, something somewhere has gone really wrong. Maybe it should have stayed as a sketch because the sketch actually looks somewhat decent even if it still look odd. The actual thing on the other hand has me so confused 😳

Look at how spacious this hatch is:

P90389827_highRes_0.jpg

Dang that looks like a fun, practical little CUV, innit? I bet you can stick like four carryons stood vertically in the back of that, plus another on top.
Yeah, I remember really disliking that X2 when it was first revealed, but now in retrospect, the X2 was actually a really handsome looking car. It's also a decently sized small hatchback, basically an Americanized 1-Series hatchback

1697041318066.png

Based on my totally scientific test called the Vibe Check, it's only an inch or so shorter than the Pontiac Vibe, so it's technically a hatchback rather than a crossover / SUV

I think it's really unfortunate the design direction BMW has chosen to go down this generation with the 4 Series, XM, and iX. The new 5 Series and now this follow similar design characteristics which do not fit what a BMW should be. But I think their new direction previewed in the Neue Klass concept will hopefully improve things

Back