BMW 2-Series & M2

Yeah, that powder blue (or whatever it's called) colour isn't doing it any favours really. If i could make one change it would be for the vertical kidney grill inserts, like @Moglet has done on his rough mock-up. TBH though it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm just glad their stylists have ditched their daft looking lower grill shapes and appendages. The rear looks fine to me also, i really do like the shapes going on there, but like @05XR8 has said, i too wouldn't mind if they gave it round tail lights like a 2002. It also doesn't help that some people are unable to visualise beyond the rather one dimensional angle, of the leaked images that are presented to them.

I find it quite funny how the design is receiving so much hate and disgust over here, and over on Bimmerpost too. If anything it kind of makes me like the design even more, as this (for me) is way better than anything BMW have done in a long while (IMHO).
The front is a million times better than the M3/M4, I will give it that.

The front is a million times better than the M3/M4, I will give it that.
Disagree. @Moglet's version is better but not the actual thing. It's like BMW heard the complaints about the M4 so they went on Ebay to find an aftermarket solution. It's not better, it's a different kind of wrong.

If they were going to do barebones improvements on the design I think I would want to have the bottom of the front bumper painted and round out the rear bottom section. I took to paint.net to see how that would look like (also not a professional car designer). Don't mind the minor imperfections:

proxy.jpg
g87 tail.jpg

The only thing, honestly, the only thing it has going for it, is it doesn’t have any undo slats or gills or strakes anywhere. Looks like a cheap plastic diecast car at the checkout. Black or green would be the Color to get it. I anticipate the race car should look better.

Nothing in this universe exists that isn't better than the front of the 4 series.
The rest of the 4 series looking like the final generation of the Accord Coupe isn't better than the front of the 4 series. It makes me think BMW was going for the Benie Ecclestone chestnut of "demand something horrendous so you can compromise with what you actually want" but then both things got approved.

Now you can gauge the muscular arch bulges better, those exagerated intakes at the front and outlet... blanks ...i guess, at the rear, don't look as out of proportion as they did in the original shots. They still look like heavy handed after-market bumpers though. Although i quite like it, i don't think the flat, pale colour it's in do it any favours as a show car.

Okay. Now that's a better angle. Still, it's the colouring. If it had been Alpine white, instead of the N color, BMW should have led with that.

Looked better in the video. That rear has to go though. It really does.

Might as well make the whole dash flat like it’s ancestors.
1665536462498.jpeg

Plus, 460hp. Why not 300-350hp at 1200kg? I bet they could do it. Well, at least they’re still making a sporty 2-door sedan.

I'm convinced the new M2 is a social experiment. Undoubtedly, it will be a fantastic car to drive, but just how awkward can the exterior styling get before customers refuse to buy it? :P

Regardless of how it looks, I imagine there will be huge demand given it is the last mass-produced send-off for the ICE-only I6 configuration in an M car.

The front end doesn't look great but it's not terrible (especially when compared to the M3/M4 / 7 series etc in the BMW lineup), the rear has some questionable lines, again not great but not terrible....maybe it is just me, the proportion looks a bit off but I do like the "from factory widebody bulge" that it comes with.

All that said though, I can see myself living with this one and I'm thinking it will likely look a lot better in person too so I'd definitely buy one if I were in the market for it.

Side note - now that this car is almost the size of an M4, are they going to build something smaller in their line up to replace it because it's not really that small anymore?

Side note - now that this car is almost the size of an M4, are they going to build something smaller in their line up to replace it because it's not really that small anymore?
Mini John Cooper Works and JCW GP i guess fill that gap now (at 1220kgs). Especially as the GP version shares its engine with the M35i version of the 2-Series.

What the hell is the packaging of this car. Why is it so goddamned bigger and absurdly heavier and more rectilinear over the previous car when there's no consummate increase in practical space? Why give it a big ass wheelbase stretch and length increase if the entire espansion is ahead of the doors? BMW can't even bother to phone in the reasoning companies have given for making their cars increasingly lardy over the past 30 years?

In two generations the car designed to be the fun entry level compact coupe successor to peoples' memories of the E30 has gotten a foot longer and 300 pounds heavier; and for what benefit?

Last edited:
@Tornado

They've chosen manufacturing efficiency over basically everything, including the packaging efficiency of the actual, you know, cars. This thing is on the same basic platform as the ****ing X7. They claim it is modular, but I suspect some of the hardpoints that have established the ridiculously cab-rearward proportions of the new 2 are consistent across all versions of the platform. BMW makes me more cynical than any automotive manufacturer, partly because I feel like their brand ethos has come simply cynicism itself. The way they have gone scorched earth on their own brand to pad their margins makes me ill. It's like somebody very lucidly decided that the BMW brand name was strong enough to produce a solid decade worth of utter **** with deliberately bad styling & thoughtless detailing while cheapening out as much as possible on the actual construction of the vehicle wherever they could get away with it.

clar.JPG

Plus, 460hp. Why not 300-350hp at 1200kg? I bet they could do it. Well, at least they’re still making a sporty 2-door sedan.
The F22 M2 was already 1550kg, where would they save 350kg while keeping the 4 seat layout?

Even the old 2 seated Z3 M Coupé was close to 1300 kg without rear seats, turbos, intercoolers, modern infotainment, carbon parts, less wheels/tyres and a lot smaller body.

This Golf-segment coupe is now heavier than a Mitsubishi 3000GT. Let that sink in.
Into your driveway at that heft.

Just looked it up and the official, proper kerbweight (DIN + driver) for the base model is 1800kg (1775kg with the six-speed manual). That's 60kg heavier than the first version of the Nissan GT-R. It's 30kg heavier than my moronic SUV - which is a target for serial tyre deflaters because it's a heavy/wasteful SUV.

Absurd.

The F22 M2 was already 1550kg, where would they save 350kg while keeping the 4 seat layout?
By having a chat with Mazda. The same way Toyota did for the FT-86. I mean, if BMW were happy to shake hands with Toyota, getting a little help to keep the car light wouldn't hurt.

Anyway, Eunos Cosmo pretty much summed it up.

Latest Posts

Back