BMW 3-Series (G20) / M3 (G80) / 4-Series / M4

I'll be very surprised that the new model will be lighter despite AWD, it's already lighter then the last 2 generations before it, a welcoming trend that's rare in the car world.

Supposedly a leak of the rear end recently popped up.
leaked-BMW-M3-G80-830x553.jpg

I'll be very surprised that the new model will be lighter despite AWD, it's already lighter then the last 2 generations before it, a welcoming trend that's rare in the car world.
Many new cars are like that nowadays. I mean every new model would be usually lighter than the model it replaces somehow. But as you've stated, this one's AWD though so that's intriguing.

So, the design boss of BMW is defending the Concept 4's design.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-design-boss-defends-radical-styling-direction

He told Autocar: “I’m not a psychologist but I know BMW is a brand that not only has customers, it has fans. They know our entire design history and have strong opinions on that. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, it means we have really connected with these people on an emotional level. Okay, I know that there might be some discussion with fans because they’ve grown to love what you’ve just done and you’re changing it already.

“As a company, you have to keep moving,” he continued. “The minute you start standing still, you become an easy target. The market is very competitive now, more than ever. But the hardest thing to do is make changes while you are successful. If you are no longer successful, people will immediately start saying you need to make changes, but then you are in panic mode.”

Describing the 4 Series specifically, van Hooydonk said: “It is a sporty coupé, and by definition it has to have a very expressive design, and you see that all around the car, not just the front. But there are not that many lines or elements – it’s not a complex design.

“We want to do this for all our cars: we want to have fewer elements, then each element you use plays a bigger role.”

Van Hooydonk did acknowledge, however, that it was the recent facelift of the 7 Series flagship that was the most visually distinctive – and there’s a good reason for that.

“It was part of the brief,” he said. “People liked the car, but they said by and large it looks quite similar to the previous one, so why should they buy the new one? Now everyone has noticed and production has ramped up considerably.”

I really don't want to make a long post to express what I have to say.

If Ai factor in the post above about cars being lighter, would any of those 7 series buyers care? The benefits are definitely fuel mileage and better handling acceleration braking performance. Again, do those owners care? If all they are looking at is what's different, why make a big ass grille?

It can't be that simple and owners be that shallow, to make a $100k direct debit based on the grill.

I want to type more, but I'm shaking my head with that little bit of info the design boss gave.

The Y-axis is almost complete. Next, to further expand on the X-axis in their mission to make the fascia 100% grille.

However, truthfully, seeing it in this guise...as a BMW fan who prefers their pre-1990s designs, I actually appreciate the pivot to a shape that is more "BMW" to me than more recent kidney grilles. But I think the Concept 4 is still a preview of how unflattering it will be when we get a better look.

Thank goodness for countries that require a front plate, because hopefully it'll cover a good portion of it across the middle.

Sad that the (US only) M340i will be the only non M RWD Six cylinder 3 series on sale.

Who wants to bet these cars will get an early facelift.
It will be the exact same situation as the new Camaro. Corporate though it looked great, the public hated it, and corporate rushes to change the front to make it look more conservative and less ugly. I guarantee this will happen with the new M3/M4.

Who wants to bet these cars will get an early facelift.

I guarantee this will happen with the new M3/M4.

I bet one cookie each it doesn't, not by any relevant amount anyway - you won't be seeing a facelift after 1-2 years for example. BMW very rarely deviate from their LCI schedule no matter the keyboard-rage, and if they do it's generally been to extend the life of something.

Perceived quality really is low with BMW interiors these days. The air vent execution is particularly tacky.

Back