BMW and my sis....(don't mix)

  • Thread starter Thread starter McLaren
  • 81 comments
  • 3,315 views
Why is everyone worried about her driving!? She learnt in a bloody 994 Turbo S. Hardly the most stable thing.

I wouldn't bother with an M3 unless she wants to push it. Get her a 325 with all the gizmos.
 
Young_Warrior
What im saying is that for the average male they wont have any trouble at all but we are talking about a female here and they have lead for a right foot.
It may surprise you to know that my sis' can actually drive better than the average teen and could drive my old Acura better (yes better) than I could on the Speedway...:eek:

My sis' isn't a typical teen that doesn't understand power, so stop putting her in that category....

Young: She doesn't want an E46, and I partically don't either. I've been waiting for the new M3s to be delivered so the price would go down even more on them.

Anyways, she's still looking at the E36 M3s...they didn't have a conv., but out of the sedan and coupe they had, she loved the coupe. ( :dopey: )

I've always been trying to talk her into just a E39 M5 and then get some cheap used car....Unfornately, she has the money for the M5. I don't like the idea of the M5, because it just doesn't fit our driveway or life....
C'mon, a E39 M5 next an old VR-4 and E36 M3? The M5 would look like a supercar in our driveway....anyways, we've been offered good deals on a E39 M5, so that's a 50/50 right now, she's just more focused on the M3....
Good thing is I can tell she loves the coupe.

But to the women can't drive sports cars, just remember this. She already knows how to drive the VR-4 perfectly.
 
McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

McLaren, I think I am going to have to give you a little warning about your sister! :crazy: Based from myself and other girlfriends....girls have this tendency to keep their eyes and hearts on something they like until something better comes. :O

I have a feeling she is going to get that convertable since it gives out that "whoooo" feeling when you let the top off! :lol: If you don't want her to get that, you have to somehow get her to like the coupe or sedan. Your sister right now might thinking and dreaming about the convertable. :lol:
I will agree with you there. All she wanted was a conv. until she saw the coupe. She loves the look now, but still can't decide. But yes, until something like the Coupe came along, she couldn't stop talking about the conv. :indiff:
 
///M-Spec
I drove an E36 M3 for 6 years in one of the rainiest climates in North America and never once did I have a problem with wet traction.

I don't know why some of you people seem to think M3s have a problem with rain. They are no more or less likely to be problematic in the wet as any other FR performance car.

Tire choice is the determining factor in wet performance. Early M3s used the Pilot MXX3 for an OE tire and it wasn't all that good in the wet. Later cars used the Pilot Sport, which had much better wet handling... even though it was an inferior tire in many other regards.

Hydroedge tires will solve all problems in the rain, snow, whatever and still give you awesome dry traction. You are right though, RWD cars just need some better rubber and you are good to go in any conditions.

Also women can drive just as good as men can, my girlfriend has a S-10 ZQ8 with a V6 and a 5-speed. She drives it better then I drive my truck. So yes women can drive, some can't, but there are a lot of them who can.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I wish I can drive a stick well because I really can't. :indiff: I can drive in traffic, on the freeway, and in the parking lot. My only problem is when it comes to a hill...WITH A STOPLIGHT! I am doomed.... :crazy:

The lights turned green and my friend told me to let out the clutch a little faster and put more gas. It turns out that I didnt move my legs...I kept my left foot on the clutch and my right foot on the brakes. SCARED!!!! NOOOO! Once I let go of the brakes, the Ford F-150 begins to roll back fast. Like about 1 foot per second! I was so scared that I put my left foot back on the clutch and my right foot on the brakes.

My friend have to get out of the truck, pressed on the foot brake thingy, and then we switched seats. I feel soooo embarassed since everyone on the street was watching me....:(:(:(

Can do Heel-Toe thingy but can't even do an uphill start? :odd: I feel so bad!!!
 
You should really start out practicing on a hill with no traffic, less pressure and you won't roll back into anybody :)
 
I'd imagine a F-150 is not the most forgiving vehicle to learn stick on either. Pretty heavy, and probably a stiff clutch too.

If your feet are big enough, you can give some gas with the right edge of your right foot to ease the transition as you let out the clutch.
 
Egh... I have a real hate for F-150's and inclines... especially if I'm sitting behind one and it's a little wet. Last time that happened, all I could think of was "not again..." (as truck starts sliding backwards, wheels spinning...)

If your sister wants it for the looks, I don't understand why neither of you want the E46... but then again, that's just me.

An old M5 would make a great family car... classic looks, more space, and heck, since you have one M3, wouldn't another be overkill? Or maybe you can never have too many? :lol:
 
In my mind, an M5 would make an M3 sedan or coupe redundant. The whole point of an M3 was to have a focused driver's car that was also fairly practical. It has back seats. It has a decent sized trunk. It's pretty comfy (for a small sedan). An M5 has all these things and more.

The only thing an M5 can't do is put it's top down. Or behave like a sub-3,000 lb. car.

Personally, if I had a practical and decently fast sedan in the garage, the OTHER car would be something the first car WASN'T and could never be. Like an S2000 or Boxster S or Elise.


M
 
McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I wish I can drive a stick well because I really can't. :indiff: I can drive in traffic, on the freeway, and in the parking lot. My only problem is when it comes to a hill...WITH A STOPLIGHT! I am doomed.... :crazy:

The lights turned green and my friend told me to let out the clutch a little faster and put more gas. It turns out that I didnt move my legs...I kept my left foot on the clutch and my right foot on the brakes. SCARED!!!! NOOOO! Once I let go of the brakes, the Ford F-150 begins to roll back fast. Like about 1 foot per second! I was so scared that I put my left foot back on the clutch and my right foot on the brakes.

My friend have to get out of the truck, pressed on the foot brake thingy, and then we switched seats. I feel soooo embarassed since everyone on the street was watching me....:(:(:(

Can do Heel-Toe thingy but can't even do an uphill start? :odd: I feel so bad!!!

Were you still in first gear? If you were, just... release everything and punch the gas, provided that no one's in front of you...
 
Get her one of these:
kia-picanto-400.jpg


It's cheap! She could crash tons of these for the price of an M3 oil change!
 
McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I wish I can drive a stick well because I really can't. :indiff: I can drive in traffic, on the freeway, and in the parking lot. My only problem is when it comes to a hill...WITH A STOPLIGHT! I am doomed.... :crazy:

The lights turned green and my friend told me to let out the clutch a little faster and put more gas. It turns out that I didnt move my legs...I kept my left foot on the clutch and my right foot on the brakes. SCARED!!!! NOOOO! Once I let go of the brakes, the Ford F-150 begins to roll back fast. Like about 1 foot per second! I was so scared that I put my left foot back on the clutch and my right foot on the brakes.

My friend have to get out of the truck, pressed on the foot brake thingy, and then we switched seats. I feel soooo embarassed since everyone on the street was watching me....:(:(:(

Can do Heel-Toe thingy but can't even do an uphill start? :odd: I feel so bad!!!

lol, I know how much I hate uphills too! :grumpy: I spun the tires on my dad's Champ from a stop sign, but at least it didn't stall :dunce:
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Thanks for the input guys! :O I will have to practice more like at 3 am! :lol:

I have been a bit confused with some of these code name things on cars. :crazy: I don't know what you guys mean when you say e46 and e39 and stuff. Where did these names come from? :odd:
 
McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Thanks for the input guys! :O I will have to practice more like at 3 am! :lol:

I have been a bit confused with some of these code name things on cars. :crazy: I don't know what you guys mean when you say e46 and e39 and stuff. Where did these names come from? :odd:

They're just the model names that BMW uses internally. Then car freaks, such as you may find on boards like these, started using those internal names publicly, to show off. :D

Don't worry, the up-hill using the clutch is something difficult. Here in Europe where most people still drive stick-shifters, we get very extensive instructions on how to do it, both with the normal brake and the handbrake.

Using the handbrake for it is quite nice. The only downside is that you have to take your right hand off the steering wheel. But you don't have to use all three pedals at once. :D

Here's how you do it:

When you have stopped, use the handbrake. Then, when you drive again, press the gas-pedal a little bit (to get only a few RPM more than stationary). While doing so, slowly let the clutch pedal come back up. Once the car starts pulling forward (in an FF car), moving it slightly even though the handbrake is still on, take off the handbrake, and start driving, letting the clutch slowly come up fully as you'd normally do when driving away.

This is the surest way, but it may be more difficult to feel the car move forward if you have an FR car.

You can also listen to the engine. You just have to remember at what point the engine makes the sound of a car that has engaged enough with the right rpm, and then release the handbrake.
 
BlazinXtreme
Also women can drive just as good as men can, my girlfriend has a S-10 ZQ8 with a V6 and a 5-speed. She drives it better then I drive my truck. So yes women can drive, some can't, but there are a lot of them who can.

More importantly, despite all the prejudice, women drive safer. Fact is, they are involved in far fewer accidents on average.
 
Arwin
They're just the model names that BMW uses internally. Then car freaks, such as you may find on boards like these, started using those internal names publicly, to show off. :D


Although it also is easier to say or type something like AW11 rather than "1986-1989 MR2" Although I prefer Mk1 MR2... don't hear people doing that much with BMWs. Same with the old Civic I had, I just called it a 4th gen, I still don't know those chassis codes.


As far as using the handbrake... F150s don't have handbrakes, they have foot ones with a handle for releasing them, it'd be tough to use it. Although I don't see why you would need to anyway, I've yet to find a hill that was so steep that I couldn't get going up it without the handbrake.
 
Women are bad drivers because many of them are ditzy, inexperienced, ignorant of cars and how they work, oblivious to what's happening around them, and they hesitate, or get scared.

Men are bad drivers because many of them are show-offs, they think they know everything about their car when they don't, think they're experienced when they're not, and they're much more willing to take risks, even really dumb ones.

Now, with that out of the way...

@McLaren F1GTR: Since you guys already have 1 or 2 M3('s) (does she have the convertible already, or not...? Your first post in this thread and your sig are confusing... :confused: ), I think you should look for something different. Something that's either a sports car, or more practical, instead of a practical sports car. :lol:
 
once again i agree with the man who posted above. Thats exactly how things are.
 
retsmah
Although it also is easier to say or type something like AW11 rather than "1986-1989 MR2" Although I prefer Mk1 MR2... don't hear people doing that much with BMWs.

Both the enthusiast and aftermarket BMW community use the chassis codes extensively. Not sure how that came to be, but it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

BMW itself promotes this to a fair degree, since most of their internal memos, TSBs, parts and accessory catalogs use the jargon.

I would venture to guess the convinence of saying "E36" instead of "91-98 3 series sedans AND 92-99 3 series coupes and convertibles, including M3 models" is undeniable.

But the other, most signifigant reason is because BMW has a tendancy to stagger new model introductions in one body style only.

For example, a 1999 325 can either be an E46 or an E36; depending on whether it's a coupe or a sedan. That's because BMW only started making the sedan in E46 format for MY1999. The coupes for that MY were still E36s.

So if you go buy a set of rotors or control arms for your "1991 325", you will need to specify sedan or coupe. Or you can just say "'91 E30/2".

It's the same thing for 2006. This year, the sedans are E90s. While the coupes and verts are still E46s.

You see this much less with a model that has little or no legacy. For example, most Z4 enthusiasts don't bother with "E85" since there's only been one Z4 thus far.

And if you're still awake after reading all that, you have my condolances. ;)


M
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Arwin, thanks fot the handbrake tips! I should try that later on when I try my other friends car. I really hate how that Ford F-150 have its handbrake as a footbrake....

M-Spec, that makes sense now. :O No wonder why specific car forums always use those chassis numbers and letters to identify cars. Is it just lazyness(spelling?) or something that people use those codes instead of saying BMW M3? :odd:


McLaren F1 GTR, I think you should let your sister buy what she wants. She may get stressed out after a while if you keep on telling or lecturing her about this and that car. :O
 
Wolfe2x7
Women are bad drivers because many of them are ditzy, inexperienced, ignorant of cars and how they work, oblivious to what's happening around them, and they hesitate, or get scared.

Men are bad drivers because many of them are show-offs, they think they know everything about their car when they don't, think they're experienced when they're not, and they're much more willing to take risks, even really dumb ones.

Now, with that out of the way...

@McLaren F1GTR: Since you guys already have 1 or 2 M3('s) (does she have the convertible already, or not...? Your first post in this thread and your sig are confusing... :confused: ), I think you should look for something different. Something that's either a sports car, or more practical, instead of a practical sports car. :lol:

No, she hasn't got any M3 yet. She saw the coupe and fell in love itm so I think she might actually get it....
We don't have any M3s yet, I just know she'll get one. I'd like the M5, but it just wouldn't fit our driveway image and look out of place...
If she gets the coupe, then she'll want a sedan...
 
McLaren F1GTR


We don't have any M3s yet, I just know she'll get one. I'd like the M5, but it just wouldn't fit our driveway image and look out of place...
If she gets the coupe, then she'll want a sedan...

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

:lol: Now you must have gotten a taste of how womens can be complicated! :O I think if she gets the coupe, then gets the sedan...then she might want a van! :O
 
McLaren'sAngel
No wonder why specific car forums always use those chassis numbers and letters to identify cars. Is it just lazyness(spelling?) or something that people use those codes instead of saying BMW M3?

I wouldn't call it laziness...in my opinion, going through the trouble of including the model year range, bodystyle, etc. etc. when you can just type three characters instead, is foolish. Also, like ///M-Spec said, a 1991 325i can be a few things; an E36 is an E36 and nothing else.

I admit, I first learned about the usage of chassis codes from the Initial D anime, but it really does make sense. JZX100, DR30, E30, EG6, 997, A2, W124...they're cryptic to a fledgling automotive enthusiast, but to anyone who's familiar with the codes in question, those letters and numbers speak a thousand words... :P

Also, have you tried putting chassis codes into Google Images instead of names? It's quite useful... :)

McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

:lol: Now you must have gotten a taste of how womens can be complicated! :O I think if she gets the coupe, then gets the sedan...then she might want a van! :O

Actually, I think this would be the next logical step.... :lol:

 
retsmah
An M3 isn't exactly a hardcore sports car, at least not to the point that your average driver is going to get in trouble with it.
-edit-: misread your post and gave a very stupid remark. :sly:
 
Wolfe2x7
I admit, I first learned about the usage of chassis codes from the Initial D anime, but it really does make sense. JZX100, DR30, E30, EG6, 997, A2, W124...they're cryptic to a fledgling automotive enthusiast, but to anyone who's familiar with the codes in question, those letters and numbers speak a thousand words... :P

Also, have you tried putting chassis codes into Google Images instead of names? It's quite useful... :)



Actually, I think this would be the next logical step.... :lol:


Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I didn't learn my first one until I started liking the Supra! :O Many people would go like "which one? MKVI or MKIII?" and I was like "uhhh 1993-1998." :O

That van reminds me a bit of the Dodge Magnum! :O It does looke like it would be a logical step after McLaren F1 GTR's sister get the coupe and convertable! :O
 
Was this what you PM'ed me about Jay? That thing is freakin massive!
 
Yeah, TTJ, if she get's that I'll be sure to never drive in Texas :lol:
 
Back