BMW i EfficientDynamics - i3 confirmed to be a RWD, Mid-Engine car.

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 344 comments
I disagree on this one actually, I reckon the first-gen Touareg is about as handsome as SUVs get. That was one instance for me where a manufacturer's normal styling trend at the time worked well applied to a completely different shape from normal. Cayenne not so much, though that was improved at the first facelift when it ditched the fried-egg style lights and gained slightly squarer details.

To keep us vaguely on BMWs, I reckon the second-gen X5 (the E70) is the best-looking of that model. First-gen did look a bit too much like a 5-series Touring on stilts and the 3rd and 4th gens became kind of default bland large SUVs, but the E70 struck just the right balance. Just a shame it spawned the first X6...

I've become weirdly fond of the first-gen X3 over the years. It's actually quite different from any other SUV that BMW has built. Suffers slightly from looking a bit narrow from some angles like the first X5, but like a lot of Bangle-era BMWs it's aged fairly well I think.
I can't say I'm adding much to this thread, but I will say that I agree the E60 is a good looking car. Honestly, I think it's better looking than the E39. While the E39 M5 looks great, the normal E39s look pretty pedestrian & unsporting, whereas even the lowliest E60 still looks pretty sharp.
That's interesting. I do like the E60, but I don't think it's as fundamentally right as the E39, whatever the trim level. Basic E60s do look "sportier" but the E39 for me just has more class and less bulk to it. That generation of executive cars in general (late 90s to very early 2000s) was probably the last that still looked quite appropriate on the smaller wheels of lower trim levels.

BMW-5_Series-2001-1280-08-765x574.jpg

BMW-520i-E60-2003-2005-34599.jpg

I disagree on this one actually, I reckon the first-gen Touareg is about as handsome as SUVs get. That was one instance for me where a manufacturer's normal styling trend at the time worked well applied to a completely different shape from normal. Cayenne not so much, though that was improved at the first facelift when it ditched the fried-egg style lights and gained slightly squarer details.

To keep us vaguely on BMWs, I reckon the second-gen X5 (the E70) is the best-looking of that model. First-gen did look a bit too much like a 5-series Touring on stilts and the 3rd and 4th gens became kind of default bland large SUVs, but the E70 struck just the right balance. Just a shame it spawned the first X6...

I've become weirdly fond of the first-gen X3 over the years. It's actually quite different from any other SUV that BMW has built. Suffers slightly from looking a bit narrow from some angles like the first X5, but like a lot of Bangle-era BMWs it's aged fairly well I think.

That's interesting. I do like the E60, but I don't think it's as fundamentally right as the E39, whatever the trim level. Basic E60s do look "sportier" but the E39 for me just has more class and less bulk to it. That generation of executive cars in general (late 90s to very early 2000s) was probably the last that still looked quite appropriate on the smaller wheels of lower trim levels.

I love the E39 from the A-pillar on back. There's just something kind of baloony about the front. Like the top surface of the hood has too much curvature or something (the E38 and E46 are more taught in this area) and then without the deeper fascia of the M5, it comes to too narrow of a point at the front. I wouldn't call it ugly...its actually elegant - it just looks like it could lose a few pounds. The E60 feels better resolved and tighter even if it's fussier.

I think the Touareg is just another in the decade of VAG designs where they originally got it pretty much perfect from the start, then spent subsequent generations/refreshes watering it down and making it look flabby and in general showing a complete misunderstanding ofvthe quality of the original design.

Great tech, awful mix of dull and offensive design. Standard BMW fare of late.

Last edited:
I actually think it doesn’t look too bad.

It just looks as expected for an electric 4 Gran Coupe.

Last edited:
So BMW becomes yet another manufacturer to get dragged into the dumb „AC controls in the touchscreen” trend. Audi seems to have learned their lesson with both the Q4 and e-tron GT going back to physical controls, as has Citroen. I guess they all have to figure out on their own why it’s a stupid idea.

Somehow looks better than the M3/M4. Shame the cabin is so dull, given the otherwise horrendous iX actually has quite a nice interior.

I honestly don’t think it looks that’s bad. The grille suits the body shape and size far more than the 3 and 4 series, and I much prefer the sharper edges here on the iX.

It's just an e-ink display on the exterior of the car (think Kindle and other e-readers)

Apparently it doesn't work in extreme temperatures such that they have a back up car available

Back