BMW i EfficientDynamics - i3 confirmed to be a RWD, Mid-Engine car.

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 344 comments
BMW i3 facelift revealed alongside the hotter i3s
2018-bmw-i3.jpg

BMW i3 - Revised styling features, new TurboCord charging feature
BMW-i3-LCI-Facelift-76-830x553.jpg

BMW-i3-LCI-Facelift-77-830x553.jpg

More info: http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/08/28/world-premiere-2018-bmw-i3-lci-facelift/

BMW i3s - Sportier styling package, wider tyres and more power
2018-BMW-I3s-photos-03.jpg

More info: http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/08/28/world-premiere-first-ever-bmw-i3s-even-sportier-ev/

Saw my first i8 in the wild today, black with blue.

Got to watch it race a sports bike to the next red light, put up a better fight than I thought it would.

Spyshots of the next i-car, the iX3.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1107391_2021-bmw-ix3-spy-shots

2021-bmw-ix3-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100642922_h.jpg

2021-bmw-ix3-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100642919_h.jpg

2021-bmw-ix3-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100642927_h.jpg

The vehicle, which is expected to go by the name iX3, is confirmed for launch in late 2020, meaning we'll likely see it arrive as a 2021 model.

The iX3 prototype, which is devoid of any exhaust tips, has the label “Electric Test Vehicle” on its flanks. There's also a charging port on the driver's side front fender and a flat battery pack can be clearly seen beneath the vehicle. It's likely a more integrated design will feature on the final version.

BMW unveils the Concept iX3 at Beijing auto show.
It had 270hp/200 kW and a 70-kWh battery that will go 249 miles/400 kilometers
bmw-concept-ix3-11.jpg
bmw-concept-ix3-09.jpg

Wait, so the next i car will just be a rebranded X3, not a unique car like the last two?

That's... disappointing.

Wait, so the next i car will just be a rebranded X3, not a unique car like the last two?

That's... disappointing.
It's a cost thing, I expect. There's already big money in SUVs and no need for them to develop a dedicated platform.

It's a pity there's not been more effort to visually link the iX3 to the i3/i8 though. An X3 with some different wheels and a grille like a cocaine-user's nose seems a bit lazy.

It's a cost thing, I expect. There's already big money in SUVs and no need for them to develop a dedicated platform.

It's a pity there's not been more effort to visually link the iX3 to the i3/i8 though. An X3 with some different wheels and a grille like a cocaine-user's nose seems a bit lazy.

Oh yeah, I expected some platform sharing at some point. I'd even guess that was the goal in the long-term, based on the latest 7-series platform's carbon content. But like you said, it just looks a little lazy at this point. It's practically a trim level.

It's a cost thing, I expect.

I'd even guess that was the goal in the long-term, based on the latest 7-series platform's carbon content.

I think the telling thing is that for the 'relatively' small amount of Carbon used in the 7-ers Carbon 'core', that they then couldn't justify using it in the G30 5 series, but managed to achieve similar results using other (cheaper) lightweight materials. BMW are also selling/reducing their direct shareholding in SGL Carbon. I simply don't think the Life/Drive carbon architecture yielded the results they were hoping for... at least not for anything approaching high volume production. I suspect this is a reflection of shifting priority to Software, rather than Hardware for next gen vehicles.

It's a pity there's not been more effort to visually link the iX3 to the i3/i8

iX3 will use a modified version of BMW's existing CLAR platform, it is very simply an electric X3.

The next 'pure' BMW-i vehicle is said to be the BMW i-NEXT which will be a model to showcase autonomous driving technology in 2021 - though I don't know if this will be based on the existing modified CLAR architecture or something akin to the Life/Drive architecture of the i3/i8. I suspect it won't be Life/Drive since BMW have openly stated "non dedicated architectures are required" for the future. This shouldn't be confused with the i4 that's been confirmed, which was previewed by the BMW i Vision Dynamics.

_____

I know that discussing what BMW call things is a fun topic around these parts.. I'll concede that they're failing to properly communicate the evolution from ActiveHybrid, to eDrive, to models with an 'e' suffix, to i models to iPerformance models.

Hey look, I'm a Lolvo.

bmw-concept-ix3-11.jpg

I'm glad there's not been more effort to make the iX3 look more like the i3 and the i8. The futuristic, complicated looking i8 is not really my taste.

Very early spy shots of the 2022 i4

2022-bmw-i4-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100690595_h.jpg

2022-bmw-i4-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100690599_h.jpg

2022-bmw-i4-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100690604_h.jpg

2022-bmw-i4-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100690600_h.jpg

A lot of uncovered metal near the bottom of car could be part of the battery pack.

It should look similar to the i Vision Dynamics concept back from 2017.

bmw-i-vision-dynamics-concept-2017-frankfurt-motor-show_100622206_l.jpg

It will be most closely related to the next 4-Series Gran Coupe but may sit higher to allow space for batteries above the axles and not just between them. This ties in rumors that the i4 will fill the void of the 3-Series Gran Turismo that last year we learned will likely be phased out after the current generation.

The i4 is expected to offer up to 375 miles on a single charge. BMW's much-hyped iNext SUV could be even higher with 435 miles of range.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1119413_2022-bmw-i4-spy-shots

I mean, are they just trying to make the ugliest cars possible at this point, just to see how much people will take?

Spec-wise also seems to be behind the competition. Quite slow for 500hp and the range is about 100 mi behind Tesla's several years old platform.

Last edited:
I think this version looks a lot better with the black "intakes" at the front. The interior is absolutely stunning though.

bmw-ix.jpg

Last edited:
BMW saw the reaction coming and actually launched a campaign centered around unfavourable reception. :lol:

BMW saw the reaction coming and actually launched a campaign centered around unfavourable reception. :lol:

As always, it's very easy to dismiss all criticism as "boomers not liking change". No, there are plenty of futuristic looking cars that people love. The iX just looks awful.

I actually don't mind this. Guess I'm looking past the front and looking at a return of boxy BMWs. Make a retro three-box sedan, in the spirit of the 2002. That grill would make more sense.
images - 2020-11-12T055536.296.jpeg

Last edited:
As always, it's very easy to dismiss all criticism as "boomers not liking change". No, there are plenty of futuristic looking cars that people love. The iX just looks awful.
This is the frustrating thing about BMW's attitude on this. I can understand them not obviously coming out and saying "our car is ugly" but the whole "maybe you're just not open-minded enough" thing really sucks. Nope, sorry folks, you've designed something bloody awful.

888.jpg

Other than that hideous grill, I don't think the rest of the exterior is bad at all. Interior, I'm not sure the attempted marriage between the i3 and other regular BMW interiors worked so well.

I think BMW is going through an identity crisis and their narrowing of the headlights and leeeengthening of the grill design direction just isn't working. People hated it on the X7 and despised it on the 3/4-series. This isn't going to help their cause no matter how much BMW want to play it down with their 'people will get used to it' attitude.

Like with the 3/4-series, there's little wrong with the rest of the iX's overall shape and it's detailing - and that interior, like that of the earlier i3, is truly modern and shows other manufacturers what a pared-down interior can look like when you move away from dark, dingy button and dial fest that most interiors have become. But no matter how hard BMW push that new front end styling direction, people almost universally dislike it.

Last edited:
Given how divisive it was, imagine Fiat going all in on the Multipla design language, or Pontiac making everything Aztec-y. This is what's happening at BMW.

VXR
Given how divisive it was, imagine Fiat going all in on the Multipla design language, or Pontiac making everything Aztec-y. This is what's happening at BMW.
That's a good point actually. In Fiat's range the Multipla was a one-off, so however much people hated it, you could still go out and buy a Punto or a Bravo or Coupe or whatever that looked completely different (though still distinctly like "a Fiat") and it wasn't a bother.

Want a modern BMW though? Tough luck, you're getting that face (and lately, pretty poor proportions and iffy detailing) whether you like it or not. And if you're a diehard BMW fan and don't like it... well, nice job BMW, brand loyalty can only go so far.

"Do we just expect the future to shape around us?"

Oh you mean the people who will be paying money for the car? Nah best not to worry about them, that's why Tesla aren't doing very wel-OH WAIT

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back