Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

message-editor%2F1638220829108-bmw_concept_xm_02.jpg

message-editor%2F1638220801140-bmw_concept_xm_05.jpg

message-editor%2F1638220815901-bmw_concept_xm_01.jpg

BMW_Concept_XM_03.jpg

message-editor%2F1638220872756-bmw_concept_xm_18.jpg

The German automaker has now unveiled the Concept XM, a preview of what will eventually be the most powerful BMW ever, the very first electrified M car, and the first standalone M product not based on an existing Bimmer since the M1 supercar went out of production in 1981.

What's more, BMW says the Concept XM's front end isn't just a glimpse of the road-ready XM but is also a peek at the faces of the brand's upcoming higher-end models in general.

Beyond the grille, BMW has installed slim LED lights where the A-pillars meet the roof; 23-inch wheels with some very formal-looking center caps; unconventional, hexagonal, vertically-stacked exhaust tips; and laser-etched BMW logos at the top of the rear window as an homage to the aforementioned M1.

Behind the big nostrils sits a plug-in hybrid V8 powertrain producing a total of 750 horsepower and 737 pound-feet of torque, set to make the upcoming production XM the most powerful Bimmer to date—eclipsing the current BMW top dog, the 627-horse M5 CS. Rumored to carry engine code S68, this particular V8 may also be the last V8 BMW ever develops. Available exclusively as a plug-in, the XM will apparently be good for approximately 30 miles of electric-only range.

While the car you see here is still technically a concept, the production-ready BMW XM is scheduled to hit the assembly line in late 2022. It'll be built right here in the U.S., at the company's Spartanburg plant in South Carolina.

Last edited:
Of all things, why a fricking SUV though? Why not make a supercar successor to M1?

Last edited:
BMW should hire a designer. I think that might help.

Failing that, Citroën and the estate of Nuccio Bertone should sue BMW for the damage their concept is doing to the memory of the original XM.

citroenxm.jpg

Last edited:
I think the main problem with this concept is the oversized kidney grille. I get that grille design is iconic to BMW, but the way it looks on this concept is quite bulbous. Maybe shrink it down to size, BMW?

It’s a shame it’s so ugly because I do like the idea of an M-branded SUV, especially when they have stuff like the X5M already. Hopefully this one either stays a concept, or it seriously gets toned-down in production-spec.

EDIT: It’d also be neat if they ended up racing this SUV in some way, like Audi’s planned Dakar entry. Or even if it was just a superficial shell like how the Hummer EV is in Extreme E.

Last edited:
Of all things, why a fricking SUV though?

Porsche - best selling vehicle - SUV
Lamborghini - best selling vehicle - SUV
Aston Martin - best selling vehicle - SUV
Bentley - best selling vehicle - SUV
Rolls-Royce - best selling vehicle - SUV

From performance Brands to Luxury brands, the people with the money want SUV's.

Porsche - best selling vehicle - SUV
Lamborghini - best selling vehicle - SUV
Aston Martin - best selling vehicle - SUV
Bentley - best selling vehicle - SUV
Rolls-Royce - best selling vehicle - SUV

From performance Brands to Luxury brands, the people with the money want SUV's.
It’s why I’m really looking forward to Ferrari’s SUV, as an investor.

I don't get why they haven't made it look sportier? It looks really quite pedestrian, even compared to their own X5/6 Ms.

It looks more Maybach GLS, than a Cayenne Coupe, Urus or DBX.

Last edited:
Bigger. Make it bigger! Go all the way! They've come this far already. No turning back now.

I swear this thing will breed a convertible or a targa or full open glass roof.

These suvs are just modern Ford Model Ts. High riding, big wheels, built for the masses. The SUVs like the Murano, Range Rover convertibles and VW T-Roc drop top, are definitely modern takes on those first cars.
That light coloured roof, could pass for a canvas top, for this covered wagon.

Back