Boffin's photography gallery - Hello again, old friend(s)

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 293 comments
Australia
Australia
Welcome.

I have always had an interest in photography, but hadn't done anything with it untill the start of this month when I decided to get myself my first D-SLR camera - a Nikon D60. I have played with other cameras a while back, but they were either film SLRs (with the cost of film) or point and shoot digitals. Now, finally with the DLSR, I can stop taking shots for the sake of documentation, and start taking them to enjoy photography and become a little artistic in the post shoot editing.
In this gallery, you can follow as my skill (hopefully) increases, the cameras (hopefully) get more advanced and the shots (hopefully) become better and better.

Enjoy - and please don't hold back on the feedback.

Lets get on with it......

These shots were taken at the Nationals practice day at Eastern Creek on July 18th. While there aren't many shots in the first installment, many are still in the retouching stage and shall be updated later. This is my first outing with the camera (and my first ever day at a race meet), so the quality is a little lacking.

VW.jpg

Porsche.jpg

DBRS9.jpg

Pics11105.jpg

Porsche2.jpg

R8V10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots!👍 Hope you enjoyed taking them and enjoyed your first time at a race meet!:)

sure did!

I got to sit in that Aston in shot number three JUST as it was bought (or should I say swapped).

I got to sit in a Porsche racing in the super GT class (not the GT3 Porsche class - which is slower)

annnnd I had a chat with Jim Richards about cars.

All because I went with some people who knew people in the garages.

Awesome day really.

sure did!

I got to sit in that Aston in shot number three JUST as it was bought (or should I say swapped).

I got to sit in a Porsche racing in the super GT class (not the GT3 Porsche class - which is slower)

annnnd I had a chat with Jim Richards about cars.

All because I went with some people who knew people in the garages.

Awesome day really.

WOW! What a day!:D That is fantastic.👍 That Aston is a stunning car, i've seen one similiar(maybe even that one??) race before. Chatting to Gentlemen Jim is huge as well.👍

Sounds like an amazing day!👍

Ha, I was at the nationals today. Was a fun day. The shots from my point-and-shoot don't compare though, nice shots. :top:

Looking good. 👍 Interesting angles nice pp work, certainly gives a different view of a track day. Great stuff.

Loved the first one...

If you have taken all the Porsche in the picture it could be perfect !

Nice work, man.

Looking good. 👍 Interesting angles nice pp work, certainly gives a different view of a track day. Great stuff.
Syntax. Likes. My. Work!:crazy:
Thanks man, but I fear things will get a bit more carzy with the latest set I'm working on. My take is usually more abstract and artistic and some of the PP desicions I've made may cause contraversy

Loved the first one...

If you have taken all the Porsche in the picture it could be perfect !

Nice work, man.

Thanks - which Porsche Pic? If its the flaming one, I have HEAPS of shots for it - I just like the angle of that one. I'll put heaps more in later because right now I'm bumming around with the trackside shots. I tried my hand at the panning motion blur shot and got OK results, but they are few and far between.

Here are some more shots from the day at the track. There are still many many more, but people might start geting bored with them, so I'll limit and pace myself to how they come out.

These shots I think are definatly more artistic in the PP, so they might not be to everybody's taste.

Notherporshe.jpg

CLS.jpg

F3.jpg

Ferrari.jpg

LoudSpeaker.jpg

CL63.jpg

Mosler.jpg

Mosler1.jpg

Last edited:
These are looking good too. Definitely taking track photos in a different direction which is bold, but I have to say you've pulled it off. My favorite is the open wheeler panned shot. It is pretty abstract but it works very well.

The only one I actually don't like is the last shot, but only cause it's sepia and I feel that only a very limited range of photos are good using that type of pp work.

Have to agree with all the comments, there's some very good photography here and as with Syntax my favourite is the panned open-wheeler shot. Some great colour in that one and it's composed well too.

Really appreciate it guys :D

I think the next shots will be more conservative - but I thought I'd start the gallery up with a bang:tup:.

You certainly have started your gallery off with a bang. I love all of these shots too!

You seemed to have picked this up very quickly, would you put that down to previous experience with Film cameras or just natural talent (like a duck to water)?

Well I like to look at photography, and I get my inspiration from various places with some big influence from quality car mags like CAR and EVO.
The only thing the film SLRs helped me with is to understand how to use an SLR camera - but I used those on my last Euro trip and I didn't try any car shots, just landscape and scenery - which turned out alright.

PP is down to my skills honed on the GT4 comps (but thankfully, I don't have to clean the cars up with these ones :D).

Thanks 👍

Excellent start here, some superb work. Seems like you've got the knack for it. My only comments would be that your static shots seem much better than your track action in my opinion, shots like the Mercedes wheel, the Karmahn Ghia, and the other static shots of the race cars, work very well and give an interesting take on the event. Your track based shots are good, but don't leap out at me as much as the statics do. Just two little things concerning the track shots, panning wise try to keep the whole car in the shot. Things like the Porker with the flames, the composition doesn't really work for me, but I can see why you included it. Another thing is that in the most recent bunch, some of the whites are very blown out. Shots like the Mosler on track lacks detail on the back due to the blown out whites, I don't know what the shot looked like originally though.

Other than that an excellent start to your gallery. I can't wait to see more. 👍

Yes to the second pic in post #13 and the Mosler pics.:drool: The others are good too, but I know more about gardening than photography, which is very little.:lol:

Lots of great shots here. Too many to pick a favorite. 👍👍
Thanks man :)

Excellent start here, some superb work. Seems like you've got the knack for it. My only comments would be that your static shots seem much better than your track action in my opinion, shots like the Mercedes wheel, the Karmahn Ghia, and the other static shots of the race cars, work very well and give an interesting take on the event. Your track based shots are good, but don't leap out at me as much as the statics do. Just two little things concerning the track shots, panning wise try to keep the whole car in the shot. Things like the Porker with the flames, the composition doesn't really work for me, but I can see why you included it. Another thing is that in the most recent bunch, some of the whites are very blown out. Shots like the Mosler on track lacks detail on the back due to the blown out whites, I don't know what the shot looked like originally though.

Other than that an excellent start to your gallery. I can't wait to see more. 👍
My panning shots are quite frankly horrendous - but it was my first try ever, so I'm hoping to get better.

As for keeping the whole car in the frame......yeah, I s'pose its down to composition preferances. While I see what you getting at (and I have many pictures of that car that you'd like more), I like how the one I chose focuses on one section of the car at high speed. But really, I have little skill when it comes to panning shots:scared:. One of the main problems I have at the moment is that I can only get a good focus shot on the cars as they approach or are going away from me - which means that only one section of the car is really in focus (much like the first Porsche pic where only the front is in focus). Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it just practice or is there a setting on the camera?

The whites? Yeah, I said they'd be controversial - but they're more artistic shots rather than motorsport shots...and you're not missing much detail from the back of the Mosler - it's quite a basic (but cool) design.

Thanks very much for the feedback 👍 :)

Yes to the second pic in post #13 and the Mosler pics.:drool: The others are good too, but I know more about gardening than photography, which is very little.:lol:

Thanks man. It doesn't matter if you know nothing about photography - if you like the shot, that's what matters most 👍

I love the shot of the Ferrari from the garage. I'm not that good at judging photos, but it might look good in B&W.

If you'd like a larger copy of any of these shots, don't hesitate to ask.

Would you mind posting the original size of that shot? :)

The back and white - yeah, it could work, I just love the contrast of the floor and the red of the Fezza.

And yes, you can have a bigger version - just when Photobucket decides to work:irked:

Here are some more shots from the day at the track. There are still many many more, but people might start geting bored with them, so I'll limit and pace myself to how they come out.

These shots I think are definatly more artistic in the PP, so they might not be to everybody's taste.

LoudSpeaker.jpg

Love how this seems like a graphic. Great tones too. :)

thanks 👍

I was quite lucky with the original shot - so there only needed the toggle of the brighness and contrast.

If I were posting an artictic set, I may well have gone the whole way to make it white black and blue.

Wow, youve got some talent there... Very nice shots indeed... agree with everything said... Love the shot of the AMG wheel with the little scratch in the corner... ;) Dont know why, just like it 👍

thanks man 👍- if that scratch hadn't been there, it would have made the shot 10X better - but you've got to work with what you have.
The car was a CL63 - I have more shots of it which may pop up in more updates.

Last edited:
Very nice work ya got there. you are a one kick ass photographer if i ever seen one! i will definately be keeping an eye on you.......r photography!

cheers dude :cheers: It seriously was my first time with a/the camera at a track event - I just tried to find stuff that looked good.

I hope I can get better and reach the standards of all the other people with galleries on here.

Back