boiltheocean: Britcar

^ Gonna follow that comment, really nice shots, and the Z4 are still looking bonkers

° 5 : Love on the rear wheels the green lettering spinning 👍

Number 2 all the way for me! :drool: WoW! Really like the shots and the angles are nice imo as well. Both Speedster and you produced some great shots at that event. Kudos!

Cheers! I experimented with slower shutter speeds at Silverstone and so far everyone seems to of liked them.

^ Gonna follow that comment, really nice shots, and the Z4 are still looking bonkers

° 5 : Love on the rear wheels the green lettering spinning 👍

Thanks, I'm a huge fan of how mad the Z4s are. Probably my favourite GT car around at the moment.

Edit: A marmite shot of Jann in the GT-R, it's created some mixed opinions.

Last edited:
Nice as always. Both last shots are really great 👍

Thanks!

Brilliant, mate. Great variety, too.

Haha, yeah. I had variety on my mind all day due to the limited spectator access, maybe if I tried it again on a better circuit I could come away with some half decent shots :lol:

Just thought I should pop in this quick update before spending sunday at the ELMS race. It's only holiday snapshots anyway.

Double posting like a champ! A few from the European Le Mans Series at Donington Park, I'm still editing some so expect additions or a triple post if nobody cares about these ones.

Some fantastic work in this thread! I love the composition in many of your track shots. You obviously put a lot of thought into the shape of the track and how it appears across the frame of the photo and the results are excellent. I like your post-pro too. Keep up the great work!

Can I ask how a shot like this is achieved, where the car is in focus, but everything else is blurred? Are you moving the camera the whole time for the shot, or is the blurring done in post-production?

7581299000_027bcf7246_z.jpg

Cheers Rue. 👍

Last Saturday was an extremely long day at the Silverstone Classic, around 17 hours including travel time. I've got mixed feelings about spending just a day at such an event, the track is huge and the races are short so you really need to pick your spot and stick to it. Personally I think I got it wrong for Group C, the race I was most interested in and walked away without the shot I really imagined I'd have. Races need to be longer or you need to attend both days to get the best out of such a big gathering. Anyway, let's get on with it.

#7 Yup, that's Sennas. Didn't race, just sat in a closed off area near scrutineering.

Last edited:
Nice work on the Silverstone Classic shots. #9 is great. You must have been there early on Sunday I'm guessing? I tried to get that exact shot myself, but it seemed a lot busier when I was there.

It's an over-hyped event, £100 per ticket for Sat/Sun, plus the usual £8 for burger and chips! I was there for the weekend and failed to get any good shots, compounded by the fact that my 100-300 started ERR 1'ing on me just as the 635CSi touring car was on track, the car I MOST wanted to see... grrr! >:(

What was the processing on the last shot there, with the Porsche? It feels almost like an old style drawing or poster, with the way the colors and lines work on the car.

MatskiMonk
Nice work on the Silverstone Classic shots. #9 is great. You must have been there early on Sunday I'm guessing? I tried to get that exact shot myself, but it seemed a lot busier when I was there.

Thanks, I only went on Saturday. All the races I wanted to see were on plus I struggled to find a decent campsite after all the bad weather. Made an A-Line for the main pit complex, took a while figuring out the buses with no help from the G4S security guards :lol:

Azuremen
What was the processing on the last shot there, with the Porsche? It feels almost like an old style drawing or poster, with the way the colors and lines work on the car.

Just the usual contrast adjustments. Took the highlights down and shadows up just a little plus moved the temperature towards the cool end. Thankfully the Martini livery is strong enough to cope with a colour shift while still looking good.

Back to Silverstone for the WEC.

Audi Sport Team Joest. The winner, followed by the contender. by tomloomes, on Flickr

Krohn Racing 458. The early morning zoom blur. by tomloomes, on Flickr

JWA-Avila by tomloomes, on Flickr

Aston Martin Racing by tomloomes, on Flickr

Larbre Competition by tomloomes, on Flickr

Toyota Racing by tomloomes, on Flickr

Status Grand Prix by tomloomes, on Flickr

Marmite shot to finish! Enjoy everyone, comments and crit welcome as usual. Only if you're nice! :P

°7 vof the last batch is gorgeous. love the effect the fence gives without taking to much off.

As always really great pictures mate. Your nature pics are stunning too

Thanks guys. I headed to Donington for the last round of the British GT championship and to wave goodbye to the GT1 World championship. It was a spectacular two days of GT racing, the weather was mixed but thanks to a power cut early on Saturday we were treated to a sunset during British GTs evening qualifying session. Sunday was pretty dreadful, the forecast was rain which would of made for some superb spray shots, however it never really got going enough to put serious moisture down. Anyway, I'll get on with posting pictures.

United Autosports by tomloomes, on Flickr

All-Inkl.com Münnich Motorsport by tomloomes, on Flickr

Motorbase 911 at Sunset by tomloomes, on Flickr

Chevron *** by tomloomes, on Flickr

Motorbase Performance by tomloomes, on Flickr

Belgian Audi Club Team WRT by tomloomes, on Flickr

BMW Team Vita4One by tomloomes, on Flickr

Hexis Racing by tomloomes, on Flickr

Motorbase Performance, 2012 British GT Champions. by tomloomes, on Flickr

Parc Fermé by tomloomes, on Flickr

AF Corse by tomloomes, on Flickr

Beechdean Motorsport by tomloomes, on Flickr

Cyber Racing - AMR by tomloomes, on Flickr

More can be found on Flickr by clicking the link in my signature or by going directly to the set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/floats/sets/72157631651913355/

Last edited:
Great little set! Numbers 4, 5 and 13 all the way. Especially number 5, that one turned out awesome!👍

Great stuff man, was good to meet up on the weekend too (despite being attacked by a VW). Nice shots from the weekend too, as others have said on TalkPhotography #7 is a unique angle that not many people seem to know where it's taken! Processing is spot on throughout the entire set as per usual.

Really hope you get a break into the business soon, your work certainly has the right qualities.

Haha, that VW reminded me I need a UV Filter for the 70-200. Too close for comfort!

Thanks for comments guys, the set seems to have gained the most attention out of everything I've ever done which I'm obviously really pleased about. 2013 looks set to be an even better year.

The final race of the year and a new beginning as I had my first experience of media accreditation. It's wonderful having such a huge variety of angles suddenly opened up to you, pitlane access and a warm place to go back to during the day! I honestly didn't expect to get published this year so it's a real bonus finishing the season knowing I'm set for next year.

Anyway, I'll start with the obligatory light trail.

Craner Curves by tomloomes, on Flickr

GT3 Racing Dodge Viper by tomloomes, on Flickr

Bullrun Lotus Evora by tomloomes, on Flickr

Barwell/MP Motorsport V8 Vantage by tomloomes, on Flickr

GT3 Racing Dodge Viper by tomloomes, on Flickr

RJN Motorsport Nissan 370Z GT4 by tomloomes, on Flickr

Optimum Motorsport Ginetta G55 GT3 by tomloomes, on Flickr

Fauldsport Ginetta G55 Cup by tomloomes, on Flickr

1, 3, 5 and 7 for me..... Great lowlight shots. 👍 Number 3 is probably my favortie though. The car just pops off the screen in that shot.

Back