Bored of this

• Thread starter englishbob
  • 37 comments
englishbobsnr
The main draw of this game (for my own reasons) were the 3 daily races. You know the SPORT mode from the game called "GRAN TURISMO SPORT". Boot up every day, or whenever you wanted to or could play, and dive into something different.

A mere 9 months after release this feature was dropped and pushed to WEEKLY, even though they still can't be arsed to change the word "Daily" from the menu displays.

Maybe this could of been alleviated somewhat by adding MORE than 3 WEEKLY events, maybe 6 or even 9 etc. but no, that seems too much.

Also a lot of hanging around for a chosen race to start, its like waiting for a bus or train. Missed the 10 past the hour, wait 20 minutes for the 30 minutes past the hour then.

Great driving and racing, but they have cocked this up forever now. I like my gaming to be a little bit more immediate than waiting around for 20 minutes, and a bit more choice to the proceedings in the main mode of the game. The only joy I get from this is ploughing through the offline Championships.

The main draw of this game (for my own reasons) were the 3 daily races. You know the SPORT mode from the game called "GRAN TURISMO SPORT". Boot up every day, or whenever you wanted to or could play, and dive into something different.

A mere 9 months after release this feature was dropped and pushed to WEEKLY, even though they still can't be arsed to change the word "Daily" from the menu displays.

Maybe this could of been alleviated somewhat by adding MORE than 3 WEEKLY events, maybe 6 or even 9 etc. but no, that seems too much.

Also a lot of hanging around for a chosen race to start, its like waiting for a bus or train. Missed the 10 past the hour, wait 20 minutes for the 30 minutes past the hour then.

Great driving and racing, but they have cocked this up forever now. I like my gaming to be a little bit more immediate than waiting around for 20 minutes, and a bit more choice to the proceedings in the main mode of the game. The only joy I get from this is ploughing through the offline Championships.
I just hop in to race practice if I missed the entry time, that usually results in a better quali time and probably better race result due to track knowledge/experience.

gM2tyFJ.gif

Yep I feel the same, the daily races are the best thing about the game. it would be amazing to have much more choice and a bit more regular so as soon as a race is finished you can find another one that will start within minutes.

PD would have to remove lobby mode to get enough people to support more sport mode races. There are hardly enough people to fill the rooms with 8 races an hour.

PD can make plenty improvements to sport mode though. Change it into more of a lobby system. Why reload the races, simply enter the track, sign up for the next race or not and practice or qualify until the race starts. All the game needs to do is shuffle people around while matchmaking. Then after the race go right back to qualifying or practicing with the other people on the track. Races can also be longer when not having to reload every time. Yet perhaps PD is afraid arguments will escalate when not kicking everyone out after 2 minutes...

Changing races twice weekly would improve things. Fresh races on Friday and Monday.

I agree. Daily races were my favourite. Weekly races I very rarely do. I don't like the selection most of the time and also, if you start at the end of the week because there was no time before (happens often if you have a job and very young children), you need way to much time for a decent qualy lap against people that have been racing the track-car combo for several days.

The main gripe I have with the weekly races is there's just 3. If they had to change it from 3 per day to 3 per week then why not give us a choice of at least 5 different events? The one make race A's have never interested me and never will so personally I'm left with 2. It needs a big re-thinking.

Lobbies are more fun, especially if they're well-structured and have regular participation. If they removed lobbies and limited the online experience solely to Sport Mode as presently constructed, I might actually give up on the game altogether.

Last edited:
This is a knock on effect of the penalty system being such a pile of turd. If they had more "daily" races the wait times would be worse because there are not enough players to fill them. Improve the penalty system and more players would do the dailies then they could have more choices with lower waiting times.

Anybody know a reason why Pd cant implement ghosting for any impact other than a "rub"? The game must know when an impact of a certain magnitude is about to happen then just ghost the car(s) out?

I've been off the dailies for a while, for one reason or another (FO76, Aoshima Liberty Walk GT-R kit from HLJ, etc...) I just started doing League events again a couple days back, and having a great time. I'm hesitant to get back in the "Daily" grind for three reasons- the crap penalty system that lets another driver trash my race at minimal cost to them, the meaningless "SR" rank, and the event selection. Either make C twice as long, or add a 40-50 minute enduro as a weekly "D". Maybe make A & B true Dailies, and C & D Weeklies? And PLEASE drop the slow-car one make stuff. Make A N300 or better- with four events, we could have an N event, and guaranteed GR4, GR3, and GR1 or 2 events, every day. (OK, FOUR reasons: HARD TIRES! Make the default choice RM and I'll be back in tonight...

This is a knock on effect of the penalty system being such a pile of turd. If they had more "daily" races the wait times would be worse because there are not enough players to fill them. Improve the penalty system and more players would do the dailies then they could have more choices with lower waiting times.

Anybody know a reason why Pd cant implement ghosting for any impact other than a "rub"? The game must know when an impact of a certain magnitude is about to happen then just ghost the car(s) out?

People would just drive through each other. They already try to race like they are the only one on the track. The game does ghost cars that brake too late or try to sideswipe. It does it a lot sooner for lower SR. The game forgets one thing though, deduct SR from drivers that need to be ghosted. You already get a lot of leeway at lower SR ranges making it even more inviting to game the system.

It's a vicious circle, people leave because of bad penalties, penalties get worse due to not enough people to match together. The penalty system will work better with better matchmaking. The difference in speed and contact rules in A+/S to D/D rooms causes problems. Yet as long as there aren't more people playing, the penalty system will often get it wrong and make unfair judgements.

I guess the reasoning behind the differences in applying penalties is that people will settle in the SR bracket they belong in for their driving style. A year of GTS has proven that that's not the case and now we have rooms with mixed SR...

Have race A and B change daily and race C weekly.

I agree, especially with the C race. I would love to see a 30 minute race, where pit strategy (1 or 2) could make it more interesting. I also wouldn't mind seeing the pre-race (post signup) Q with other cars on track...maybe 5-8 cars of equal DR and similar SR. Don't know if that's technically feasable.
This seems the best solution to me, more races wouldnt do the game any good.

Ive been playing iRacing lately and the series i run have a race every 2 hours. Kinda sucks when you get taken out or damaged in the first lap but it also brings a level of immersion and incentive to not wreck yourself or others cause you'll have to wait a long time to be able to do another. Not that i think GTS should do it like that though.

Lobbies are more fun, especially if they're well-structured and have regular participation. If they removed lobbies and limited the online experience solely to Sport Mode as presently constructed, I might actually give up on the game altogether.

I definitely have to agree with you. My only draw to GTS is the lobby racing. I find more enjoyment racing people and getting to know them over time in a league or some kind of lobby Series. Along with Clean & Respectful racing with longer races than Sport Mode offers is what is all about for me.

Doing away with the lobbies so my only option is to do shorter races with random people who drive dirty almost every time would definitely end my playing on GTS.

I dont understand the sport mode participation. When the races were true daily events it seemed like they always had 16-20 cars. People claim that the participation has not dropped off and some even say it has increased since the change to weekly's yet the few daily's I race in seem to have 10-14 cars, 16 max, what gives? Not everyone is telling the truth. I think a mix of daily and weekly events would be best, especially with miserable tracks like Tokyo and Fuji.

Is it really that much of a hardship to wait 15 minutes to start a race? You know you can practice and set a qualifying lap in that time, better preparing you for the race, right?

I dont understand the sport mode participation. When the races were true daily events it seemed like they always had 16-20 cars. People claim that the participation has not dropped off and some even say it has increased since the change to weekly's yet the few daily's I race in seem to have 10-14 cars, 16 max, what gives? Not everyone is telling the truth. I think a mix of daily and weekly events would be best, especially with miserable tracks like Tokyo and Fuji.

It's a downward trend on KP
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=daily_sport_activity
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=weekly_sport_activity

PD also doesn't seem to care about the connection issues. Every race 1 to 3 people drop out before the room loads. It's been like that since Sainte Croix was added. You can prevent it by restarting the game after every race yet plenty people still don't know that. And even then I got kicked out yesterday right after warm up without any error or anything. Fixing that would help.

Is it really that much of a hardship to wait 15 minutes to start a race? You know you can practice and set a qualifying lap in that time, better preparing you for the race, right?
If I still have to wait for 15 minutes before it starts, I'd spend that time either by playing music or watching something funny in my phone or rather, maybe do something that I could enjoy personally lol. But that's just me.

If I still have to wait for 15 minutes before it starts, I'd spend that time either by playing music or watching something funny in my phone or rather, maybe do something that I could enjoy personally lol. But that's just me.
So rather than play the game while you wait to play the game, you'd do something else? I don't think the problem's with the game.

Back