Brakes and rim size

• Thread starter Live25
  • 10 comments
United States
Portland, OR
Live25
Has anyone tested this? A larger wheel requires a larger brake as a general rule of thumb. Thus, a larger wheel should result in an improved brake response, but does it?

So you're assuming if you put larger wheels on your car, the game essentially increases your brake power figure?

I highly doubt it works that way in game, nor does it work like that in real life.

People put oversize wheels on their cars all the time without feeling the need to buy bigger brake discs...

I've heard of people buying big brake kits, and having to buy a larger wheel for it to fit, but not the other way round.

In fact it's not usually a "larger" wheel as it is a wheel with just a wider offset to clear the calipers.

I assume nothing, that’s why I asked the question.

You doubt it works that way, yet there are all kinds of odd little nuances in this game. Real world application is immaterial to the question posed.

People do dumb **** to their cars all the time with little to no comprehension of what the outcome will be.

“No I don’t believe it works that way, but I have not tested it.”

A larger wheel, as in having a larger diameter, requires stronger brakes to get the same result. However in GT7 the tyre sidewall is lowered the same amount the wheel diameter is increased so the overall diameter remains the same. No changes to the braking power - as there shouldn't be.

A larger wheel, as in having a larger diameter, requires stronger brakes to get the same result. However in GT7 the tyre sidewall is lowered the same amount the wheel diameter is increased so the overall diameter remains the same. No changes to the braking power - as there shouldn't be.
If you check the image of your car when a larger rim diameter is chosen, you'll see the brake rotor size and caliper size is also increased, to make use of the additional room. This should increase the power of the brakes, especially if the profile of the tyre is reduced to ensure the total diameter of the wheel remains the same. Not sure if it does though.

If you check the image of your car when a larger rim diameter is chosen, you'll see the brake rotor size and caliper size is also increased, to make use of the additional room. This should increase the power of the brakes, especially if the profile of the tyre is reduced to ensure the total diameter of the wheel remains the same. Not sure if it does though.
If it did anything to the braking performance, the PP would increase when selecting larger wheels. So no, it's purely visual.

If it did anything to the braking performance, the PP would increase when selecting larger wheels. So no, it's purely visual.
Different rim sizes should have a marginally different weight, so in fact it has an ever so slight impact on driving.
Some older Forza game did take this into account.

Different rim sizes should have a marginally different weight, so in fact it has an ever so slight impact on driving.
Some older Forza game did take this into account.
I was speaking purely in context of the game. In real life there's multiple factors at play which aren't simulated in most games.

Changing wheel sizes in the game does impact the PP ratings, so does changing even the stock wheels from standard to wide where the game lets you. I can’t say if it impacts the braking force/performance, but the game does also increase the rotor/caliper size as the wheel diameter increases. When I noticed this I tried to see if there was any impact on grip or braking force myself but there was nothing noticeable I could feel when tested on cars and tracks I’m extremely familiar with. Whatever the affects it actually has, aren’t noticeable when racing that I can tell. I also checked a few of the cars I did this with to see if any specs changed in the tuning menu but I didn’t see any. The PP change is very minimal so it must just be a “sacrifice” you make for having a better looking car or a way you can utilize this to get a few .xx PP in those tunes where every tenth and hundredth of a point counts.

Back