Brakes

• Thread starter Pille154
  • 15 comments
Germany
NRW
Philipp154
Standard the brakes are at 5/5 if i change it for example to 0/0 or 10/10 were is the difference between it?
What is the difference between set up 3/7 or 6/10?

Well, with FWD cars I usually make the brakes stronger in the back therefor there is less work for the front wheels to do. With FR cars if it get squirrelly under braking I usually lower the rear brakes. Hope this helps a little. :)

gt5fanatec
Well, with FWD cars I usually make the brakes stronger in the back therefor there is less work for the front wheels to do. With FR cars if it get squirrelly under braking I usually lower the rear brakes. Hope this helps a little. :)

Ok thx that makes sense :) but what is when i set up 3/7 or 6/10 the relations are the same, but does that mean that the 6/10 set up is better than the other (i hope you know what i mean) ;-)

Pille154
Ok thx that makes sense :) but what is when i set up 3/7 or 6/10 the relations are the same, but does that mean that the 6/10 set up is better than the other (i hope you know what i mean) ;-)

I think I understand. When your tuning your brakes just pay attention to what I said before. It really depends on how the car behaves. So if you look at what I said before you can apply that on different scales depending on the car. 6/10 would be ok for a car that doesn't under steer too much. But that setup with an AWD car that has the tendency to under steer might not work out so well. So you might want to lower the front brakes bellow 5 and crank the back up as high as posible with out causing the car to wiggle when braking. I hope this is all making sense.

The ratios of 3/7 and 6/10 are not the same. 3/7=0.43 while 6/10=0.60
I can still answer your question though, the difference basically is that the higher the number the higher the brake sensitivity (the less you have to push the brakes)
EDIT: I hope that's what you meant :P

The higher you set your brake balance the more braking power you will get. The ratio between front and rear will determine how much braking power is sent where.
e.g. having your brake balance set at 4-2, you will effectively have 6 overall braking power with a 66%-33% front rear split.

Hope this helps. 👍

FordMKIVJ5
The higher you set your brake balance the more braking power you will get. The ratio between front and rear will determine how much braking power is sent where.
e.g. having your brake balance set at 4-2, you will effectively have 6 overall braking power with a 66%-33% front rear split.

Hope this helps. 👍

So you get at every time 100% breaking power ok thanks

Just a small question, what do i have to change on the brakes if my car begins to oversteer when i brake and turn into a corner? What balance do i have to use on, for example, on my FGT? :rolleyes:

So you get at every time 100% breaking power ok thanks

No. Your braking power is the total brake balance. So 6-3 is the same front to rear ratio as 4-2 but you have higher overall braking power with 6-3.

Just a small question, what do i have to change on the brakes if my car begins to oversteer when i brake and turn into a corner? What balance do i have to use on, for example, on my FGT? :rolleyes:

On an FGT I'd suggest trying 6-3. If the rear is still coming out try 5-2. Then if the front is locking up try 4-2 or 3-1. 👍

I would try adjusting the LSD to resolve this problem.

GT_Die_Hard
Just a small question, what do i have to change on the brakes if my car begins to oversteer when i brake and turn into a corner? What balance do i have to use on, for example, on my FGT?

It does vary with each track but here you go.
To enable you to turn effectivley on a very tight track while braking 4-1 is great.
If you are a late braker (I use this on Trial Mountain) 7-4,
5-3 is a good comprimise if your front tyre wear is too much on longer races, I find the bigger the gap between front and rear the more one set of tyres will wear which makes sense I guess.

Oh and try setting the last number on your diff to 15.

It does vary with each track but here you go.
To enable you to turn effectivley on a very tight track while braking 4-1 is great.
If you are a late braker (I use this on Trial Mountain) 7-4,
5-3 is a good comprimise if your front tyre wear is too much on longer races, I find the bigger the gap between front and rear the more one set of tyres will wear which makes sense I guess.

Although if your brake balance is biased too much towards the front then you won't be braking effectively because the rear has a lot of grip left. The best thing to do is just test. Go out and try different brake balances and see which one works for you. 👍

If you're using ABS then it is largely unimportant, but you should not set it too low if you use ABS as it will simply reduce your braking power, when it really makes a difference is when you are not using ABS, in which case to avoid locking you should have it fairly low (3/1 or 3/0 on rear wheel drive cars, for example).

The higher the pressure, the easier it will be to lock the brakes up, if the rears are set too high then the rear tyres will lock up easier, causing oversteer like you just pulled the handbrake, where as if the fronts lock up or are too high (harder to lock the fronts, so higher pressure can be used) you will understeer and slide.

Generally, higher brake pressure on the rear can help you turn in, useful in understeering FF cars, but on FR/MR cars you really want the rear bias to be lower. But keeping in mind, with ABS on you cannot lock the brakes at all, but bias also has a much much smaller effect, if you use the same low settings (3/1 for example) as you would use without ABS you will feel like you simply lack braking power, where as without ABS the setting would be perfect for many cars.

Most of my FR/MR cars are 3/0 or 3/1 without ABS, 5/5 with ABS. For the Bugatti Veyron I found that 10/10 (with ABS) was very effective. So experiment.

Everytime I go to brake without ABS two things happen:

I pull to one side...

I hit everything around me, I can't dodge a single car when racing anymore, in GT5 prologue I'd have ABS 1 and avoid everyone and do wll but without ABS I either lock up and spin orrr i hit the car infront or to the side and damage both vehicles. Damn.

Back