Braking technique.

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 70 comments

Do you left-foot or right-foot brake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
regarding the finals im using now the DFGT.. and im using left foot to brake all the way.. dont know why but i felt invited to use it looking at the pedals, with g25 the feeling is completely different for me :odd:

in 2 days i was able to reach 36.1 and 47.9.. :dopey: the FFB is also a bit different (i enjoy more the g25 FFB). now turn 7 seams much more easier with left foot braking and turn 11 too 👍 but im still finding the way to brake well at turn 1 and 8.. anyway im happy with the results.. i was afraid to get used with the pedals (G25->DFGT) but i think i got it :)

Last edited:
As you asked......

I had been driving in real life for about fifteen years, both manual and automatic as well as doing some carting before I got my DFP.

For some reason, the day I got the DFP it just felt right to left foot brake like a cart. I didn't do it to be faster and I didn't think about it so my guess is that it came from the bit of carting I did, but that's just a guess.

In real life I always right foot brake, even in an automatic. I'm unconvinced of the advantages of left foot braking as people like Rubens, among others, have proved you can be pretty fast right foot braking.

In the game I think left footer brakers may have a small advantage, but I'm not certain. I can't see any reason for me to change at the moment. I wonder if I'd change my ways if the brake had pedal had some kind of FFB in the game.......

As for gears, I've spent about 50% of my real life changing gears with my left and and 50% with my right so I haven't really got a strong preference.... perhaps I prefer the right a little as that's what I do the most at the moment.

To be honest though I don't find that current gear and clutch shifters anything like real life so I wouldn't use that in the game anyway.

Oh, concerning voting: I voted after reading the first post so I voted for the "Left-foot brake unless using clutch". Having read the rest of the thread now I realise that should have just been the "left foot" option :-)

I usually left foot brake unless I'm using the clutch, but I rarely use the clutch anyway.

I just started left foot braking with my DFGT. I completely forgot how important rapid gas-brake-gas-brake could be (would toggle them rapidly with my thumb on the old PS2 controller.) Plus keeping the car balanced into turns and such... I'll definitely adopt it well.

I don't plan on getting a G25/27 anytime... LFB with a clutch in there would be a chore for me (size 13 shoe)

I can't do it with my DFGT, I try hitting the brake with my right the pedals go flying under my table. I need something to mount my pedals to the ground because they just fly every where if I try my right, lucky G25 users!

This month i will do the licensed exam. I started to' drive a real car this summer instead i bought a Fanatec turbo s in march. I always do right football braking, in F1 cars too. I can't do the left foot braking. Any suggest? In forza 3, LFS, gt5p i always use the clutch, yep i loose some seconds but is more funny. Sorry for my bad english

If I'm driving a manual car and I'm stopped at an uphill intersection, I'll kind of hold the clutch and brake down with my left foot. Not sure if I'm right. I normally drive an automatic, sadly.

Braking with my left foot in real life is a very bad idea.

Since my left foot is accustomed to the clutches resistance (which is quite big, compared to the brake), i'm used to slam the clutch.....

But in race games it certainly are those miliseconds each time you have to brake, that matter, possible difference of 100 to 1000ms a lap.

Latest Posts

Back