Braking test

• Thread starter praiano63
  • 37 comments
Most of my cars use either 2/1 or 3/2 because I never use ABS.

i've never spent more than 2 mn tryng without abs. I think i'm going to insist more like 1/2 h training that and see what happen . Pedal is enough sensible for that, there is no reason. Somebody else around here drive no ABS and have good results ?? If the braking capacity increase , can be interesting ..

I sometimes drive (actually try to drive) without ABS. It's fun, but I can't drive in fast times... I can't play online without ABS, because i'm too dangerous at the enter of a corner if you are in front of me... XD
But IMO, driving without ABS is a good way to find the brake balance. Then you set ABS 1 and the brake balance also works nice.

As far as possible in game or reality, the brakes don't get stronger, only the sensitivity to the input, in the end the tires stop the car, not the brakes. Stoping power is limited to the tires abilities.

To be clear

0 = you have to put the pedal on the floor (100% input) to get 100% potential, where 1 = 90% push of the pedals = 100% potential (anything over doesn't matter). Braking force (potential) remains the same.

Edit, just fixed the math..

Potential as the limit will always be the tires that are actually stopping the car.

The brakes do not stop the car, the tires do.

That's how it seems to work 👍

For me, lower numbers = much more control over the amount of brakes I want to apply below 100%.

When I see tunes using super high numbers I tend to have some doubts about the driving ability of the tuner... high numbers make the brakes too sensitive in the 1st part of the pedal travel and make it harder to trail brake effectively or to make very small brake inputs.

Lower numbers also seem to smooth out the weight transfer too... which is a benefit most of the time.

That's how it seems to work 👍

For me, lower numbers = much more control over the amount of brakes I want to apply below 100%.

When I see tunes using super high numbers I tend to have some doubts about the driving ability of the tuner... high numbers make the brakes too sensitive in the 1st part of the pedal travel and make it harder to trail brake effectively or to make very small brake inputs.

Lower numbers also seem to smooth out the weight transfer too... which is a benefit most of the time.

Yes ,you're right in part, it work like this for you and work very good it seems. But what about my first experience where 10/10 brake shorter than 10/1 or 1/10 or 1/1 brake settings ?
About your doubts concerning the driving ability of the tuner using high numbers, i can tell you that i use frequently, that i'm not so slow ( slower than you for shure) and when i brake with my high numbers that make me smile alone with my wheel.....:):)
If this can take yours doubt away...Have a good day.

Last edited:
Yes ,you're right in part, it work like this for you and work very good it seems. But what about my first experience where 10/10 brake shorter than 10/1 or 1/10 or 1/1 brake settings ?
About your doubts concerning the driving ability of the tuner using high numbers, i can tell you that i use frequently, that i'm not so slow ( slower than you for shure) and when i brake with my high numbers that make me smile alone with my wheel.....:):)
If this can take yours doubt away...Have a good day.

On reflection, perhaps too broad a statement... I checked some of Ramon's tunes that I have access to and he's using quite high settings on occasion (though he's a lot more talented than I am!) 👍

I saw from your test that 10/10 had the shortest outright stopping distance for straight line braking.

I'm less concerned about losing a touch of straight line braking and more interested in finding a balance that allows me to trail brake most effectively and that allows small brake inputs without unsettling the car.

I think this is a bigger benefit to lap times.

The pedals we have to work with on most wheels are limited in their sensitivity, so my objective is to make the pedal travel as linear as possible whilst still maintaining decent stopping power.

Hence my brake settings are almost never any higher than 5 5 as I find high settings make easing the brake as I approach the apex more difficult.

In addition, unless the car is very unstable at the rear under brakes, my bias will be slightly front weighted... normally only 1 point difference.

On reflection, perhaps too broad a statement... I checked some of Ramon's tunes that I have access to and he's using quite high settings on occasion (though he's a lot more talented than I am!) 👍

I saw from your test that 10/10 had the shortest outright stopping distance for straight line braking.

I'm less concerned about losing a touch of straight line braking and more interested in finding a balance that allows me to trail brake most effectively and that allows small brake inputs without unsettling the car.

I think this is a bigger benefit to lap times.

The pedals we have to work with on most wheels are limited in their sensitivity, so my objective is to make the pedal travel as linear as possible whilst still maintaining decent stopping power.

Hence my brake settings are almost never any higher than 5 5 as I find high settings make easing the brake as I approach the apex more difficult.

In addition, unless the car is very unstable at the rear under brakes, my bias will be slightly front weighted... normally only 1 point difference.

I have to try this and also the driving line is more important, that's what all good medium drivers like me have to learn and practice again and again.
But depending of the track sometimes you need a strong braking that will bring your car inside carving the turn. ( this is the "funny" part for me).
Here it's hot and i'm always without shoes on the pedals. For Suzuka where i do most of my tunes and where you need light braking in the "S curves" for example, i don't have any dificulty to dose my foot with very light pressure on the brake.

Perhaps you have more sensitivity in your braking foot :)

I'd really like to run the G27 bake mod (that makes the pedal have more resistance), but I use a wheel stand pro on carpet and there's just not enough grip to allow the greater pedal pressures needed with the mod.

Back