Briatore gets banned, Renault given suspended sentence and the fallout begins!

I wonder if any other drivers have ever crashed on purpose (although not so much by team orders)?

I have my doubts, considering the very real risk of death or serious injury up until the mid-1980s, the fact that safety cars weren't regularly used until about 1993, and that few drivers would want to potentially ruin their careers. But it makes me wonder...

Japanese GP '98 - Esteban Tuero / Tora Takagi accident - have a look on Youtube, have a think about it.

I think that shows that Flavio is a dirty cheat, and Piquet just wanted to stay in F1. so Falvio said "crash or i'll screw your career". Perhaps the better thing would be to not crash, and go report Flavio, but cut him some slack.

I wonder if any other drivers have ever crashed on purpose (although not so much by team orders)?
It wasn't in Formula 1, but there was an incident at Bathurst in 2005 when Greg Murphy and Marcos Ambrose crashed into one another. I'm convinced Murphy did it deliberately - an overhead shot shows Murphy going right when the road went left, which led to contact that very nearly picthed Ambrose over the outside wall and down the mountain. I can only speculate as to why Murphy might have done it, but he's always come across as an arrogant hothead and he coudn't take being pressured into a mistake by Ambrose (another arrogant hothead, but at least he wasn't stupid enough to deliberately crash) and losing a place because of it.

I'm also convinced that Rick Kelly crashed into Craig Lowndes at the title-deciding Philip Island race in 2006. I'm yet to see an argument that fully explains why Rick Kelly was so far off the racing line - a line that led him to crash into Lowndes - at one of the fastest points on the track where it is generally accepted that there is no grip there. Kelly and Lowndes connected and while Kelly continued, Lowndes was all but out of the race and the championship. It also came on a weekend filled with bad sportsmanship from Kelly team and the HRT sister team (Garth Tander kept blocking Lowndes in the first race to let Kelly catch him up, Mark Skaife forced Lowndes to run wide at one of the most dangerous points on the track in qualifying despite Lowndes having the right to the racing line as he was on his flying lap, etc.)

Man... crashing on purpose... are we talking about NASCAR now? (runs and hides...)

Nope? :lol:

Well, it's generally accepted that both Schumacher and Senna did it... and back when Senna did it, cars were still semi-scary.

Some people want to win more than they want to get home in one piece...

It's all Nixon's fault. And he wasn't british!

(oh dear, I'm old ... :D )

I hate that the fricking media attaches "gate" to absolutely everything... For goodness' sake... it's not "Water - gate"... it's "Watergate"!

I think Piquet Jr had no real choice, if he didn't crash, he lost his seat the next year. If he reported Briatore, it would look bad, sort of like being a snitch, when F1 teams are a sort of family/clan, and he would lose his seat anyway.
Even if he went through with it, they could have still dropped him, so he had to go for his best chance to stay in F1.

Hopefully we don't have any of these scenarios in the future.

Interesting...

Found on the BBC - but linked from the FIA site...

"As a result of the Singapore race-fixing scandal, the FIA has adopted a new registration system to 'preserve the safety and the image of the FIA Formula One World Championship'. All Formula One teams will be required to nominate a number of senior team members to register with the FIA at the start of each season. Registered team members will be granted a formal certificate and be required to comply with the new FIA Code of Good Standing, starting at the beginning of the 2011 season."

I guess that this is an attempt to ensure that Briartore never gets back into the sport then?!

C.

Interesting...

Found on the BBC - but linked from the FIA site...

"As a result of the Singapore race-fixing scandal, the FIA has adopted a new registration system to 'preserve the safety and the image of the FIA Formula One World Championship'. All Formula One teams will be required to nominate a number of senior team members to register with the FIA at the start of each season. Registered team members will be granted a formal certificate and be required to comply with the new FIA Code of Good Standing, starting at the beginning of the 2011 season."

I guess that this is an attempt to ensure that Briartore never gets back into the sport then?!

C.

Old news I'm afraid.
As for the issue of drivers deliberately crashing, I've always been suspicious of Timo Glock in qualifying for the 2009 Japanese Grand Prix. Was good because it gave Kobayashi his debut, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was asked to crash. Have a look for yourself.

^I think thats a little disrespectful to Timo, I very much doubt he would try and cause a high speed accident just so a Japanese driver can have a chance to drive. The situations are entirely different - if Toyota really wanted to put Kamui in the car, they could have simply fired Glock. And its not like Glock was desperate to keep hold of the seat like Piquet Jr was that he would do something so reckless.
How on earth could you plan an accident to cause a specific injury anyway? It was unforunate that the piece of suspension ruptured the chassis the way it did. You cannot plan an accident like that - its more in risk of fatal injury than Piquet's was!

I'm borderline disgusted anyone would think a somewhat respectable team like Toyota would do such a thing. It was never beyond Briatore (though it is a little more extreme than the old Benetton fuel hose safety bits and the "hidden" traction control).

^I think thats a little disrespectful to Timo, I very much doubt he would try and cause a high speed accident just so a Japanese driver can have a chance to drive. The situations are entirely different - if Toyota really wanted to put Kamui in the car, they could have simply fired Glock. And its not like Glock was desperate to keep hold of the seat like Piquet Jr was that he would do something so reckless.
How on earth could you plan an accident to cause a specific injury anyway? It was unforunate that the piece of suspension ruptured the chassis the way it did. You cannot plan an accident like that - its more in risk of fatal injury than Piquet's was!

I'm borderline disgusted anyone would think a somewhat respectable team like Toyota would do such a thing. It was never beyond Briatore (though it is a little more extreme than the old Benetton fuel hose safety bits and the "hidden" traction control).

I just find it so hard to believe that Glock suffered from such brain fade. I rate him very highly, but that accident was just typical of one of those youtube "fail" video's. Toyota hadn't made public their decision to withdraw at that point, so maybe they wanted Kamui to run in front of the japanese board members. I know it's highly unlikely. But Timo must have dozed off or something. Looking at things realistically, I don't think he crashed on purpose, just hard to believe that Timo could suffer such brain faid.

I just find it so hard to believe that Glock suffered from such brain fade. I rate him very highly, but that accident was just typical of one of those youtube "fail" video's. Toyota hadn't made public their decision to withdraw at that point, so maybe they wanted Kamui to run in front of the japanese board members. I know it's highly unlikely. But Timo must have dozed off or something. Looking at things realistically, I don't think he crashed on purpose, just hard to believe that Timo could suffer such brain faid.

Looks like the steering failed to me.

Back